As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving Out, Buy or Rent?

MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm 22, living with my parents, and looking in to the prospect of moving out. However, I'm caught at the moment. I currently have a pretty good income and I think that I could probably save enough up for a down payment if I stayed with the folks a little bit longer.

My thinking is that, since interest rates are in the toilet right now, getting something like a townhouse would potentially be cheaper than rent on a nice apartment, and I would be getting some equity. On top of that, I worry that interest rates will go back up and the same house will cost me more later.

However, on the other hand, I worry about other kinds of expenses that might come on top of a house like property tax, repairs, and the like. I also worry if I decide I want to move later, I'd have to worry about selling the house first.

Any thoughts? Also, for you apartment dwellers out there, what do you like/dislike about apartment living?

1tLJUH2O.png
Malgaras on

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    GESPO: I wrote an academic paper on this exact thing.

Long paper summarized. If you are planning on staying in the area for the next 5 years you will likely come out on top financially. If you stay in the same house for your life you'll be ahead millions of dollars.

Now that being said, since you are not at the peak in your career, it may be prudent to wait until your career has a few years of stability in front of you before you go after a house. The market now is very good for buying a house too. So I would suggest if your career path keeps you in the same area that buying a house would be to your advantage. On the other hand, Apartments right now ill be cheaper than a house right now, and everything is taken care of in an apartment. If your main sewage line is clogged it's 350 bucks to get a plumber with a snake, whereas an apartment complex that is run well can have a guy there faster and snake your drain for free. On the flip side your completely reliant on your apartment complex. There are also other benefits of an apartment complex, some of them offer shuttles to the metro station, pools, cleaning, security (access control is an invaluable commodity in some areas),

So the decision comes down to this. For long term financial benefit, where you aren't going to be moving around, buy a house. If you value short term financial benefit, and need the freedom to move around, rent an apartment, or rent a house even. If you want a pet, get a house. Pet fees and deposits will eat your face with an apartment.

Of course since I'll see you Sunday we can talk then.

zepherin on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I really can't claim to be any sort of expert on housing markets and when is the best time to buy, so I'll try and stay out of "you should/shouldn't buy a house."

That said, if you're comfortable enough living with your parents, and they don't mind having you around, staying home at least a little longer is a fantastic option. Having your own place is fun, and not having to worry about upkeep or selling it is great, but shelling out a ton of money you'll never even potentially see back for rent is far, far more miserable than the other options are fun. Finding someone to sublease to can be a monstrous pain in the neck too; few financial transactions sting more than payments on overlapping leases when you have to move in a hurry for a job. Renting is a necessary evil when you're in your twenties and aren't sure where you want to spend the next half decade or so, though. (Edit: Not that there is anything wrong with choosing to rent later in life too, I don't mean to sound like some kind of snob, sorry about that if it came off bad. I'm renting myself too, I'm just not a big fan of it.)

Quality of life matters a lot, and if you really hate living with your parents, maybe the best thing would be to try and find a short six-month lease rental and get a feel for the waters there. (Unless, of course, you end up fairly certain that you want a house in which case shelling out any money on rent in the area is a waste).

Darlan on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    gespo89 wrote:
    My thinking is that, since interest rates are in the toilet right now, getting something like a townhouse would potentially be cheaper than rent on a nice apartment, and I would be getting some equity. On top of that, I worry that interest rates will go back up and the same house will cost me more later.

Prices vary a lot by market and of course quality. Renting could be more or less than buying, more so when you add all the taxes, etc. Town homes and condos tend to move slower than stand-alone houses. Down payment (20%) is the same, cost may be close, property tax will probably be less than a house, depending on the area. Equity is only if the value goes back up, which may or may not happen. Until it's sold, a house is a liability.

Apartments are OK, pluses & minuses to them too. Some people never buy and are quite happy with it.

I would start saving now, and start looking around at apartments and town homes and single family's. See what's out there, see what neighborhoods you like, etc.

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.html

Get the data on the place you want to go, punch in the numbers, and think about the results.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Just as an aside, avoid buying town homes or condos unless that is literally all that is available in your area (like... NYC), their resale value is super shitty in almost every area.

Man if I could keep living with my parents I would. 25% of my paycheck saved... that's a hell of a lot of money in a year.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    First time living on your own? Rent. If rent and make a bad choice of apartment--and I know many people who did on their first time living alone--you will not be stuck with it. Get some experience living on your own first, get an apartment in a neighborhood you think you'd like and see if it's really all that, and get a house later.

Especially if you think you'd like to move later. I thought about buying a house a few years ago, but held off as I realized I would be moving in a few years. I really enjoy renting anyway. I like not having to shovel the walk. I like that when my bathtub leaked, it was replaced with no extra cost (or labor) on my part. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I can easily move if crappy neighbors ever move in. (Of course with houses you aren't normally sharing a wall with neighbors, but a bad neighbor can still make your life miserable.) I like the ease of movement and the feeling of living in a new place. I've been considering moving again (within the same city) not because I dislike my current apartment, but just for a change of pace. (But I think I will hold off for a few years for financial reasons.)

Obviously a lot of this depends on finding a good apartment and good landlords. I certain have had some rotten ones! But that is one of the reasons I recommend renting first. Because it took me some time to develop the "NOPE NOT HERE" and "DON'T TRUST THIS GUY" instincts with regards to apartments and landlords. I cannot imagine how horrible it would be to make that mistake with a house.

LadyM on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Just as an aside, avoid buying town homes or condos unless that is literally all that is available in your area (like... NYC), their resale value is super shitty in almost every area.

Man if I could keep living with my parents I would. 25% of my paycheck saved... that's a hell of a lot of money in a year.

Conventional real estate wisdom has been that w/r/to condos/townhomes, they are the last to go up and the first to go down in a real estate cycle, since sfh (single family homes) are the most in demand dwelling.

That said, demographic shifts (boomers retiring) may inform future valuations of various types of dwellings.

Unless you can put 20% down and have excess reserves to deal with the expenses over the first few years (furnishing, painting and trim fixing, landscaping, pest control, unforeseen repair) I probably wouldn't buy right now even though rates are ridiculously good. Check your credit to se if you can even qualify for the best rates.

Either way, not paying rent or mortgage and banking that income for as long as you can swing it is going to put you in the best shape financially.

• Options
    Yeah I think it's something like 40% of the house.

20% downpayment, 10% repair (save this), 10% appliance/window/roof/insulation stuff if you want to head towards an energy efficient home (you should).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    You do not want to be tied down to a house at 22. I mean, unless you're already married. In which case, you still probably don't want to be tied down to a house at 22. If there's no really pressing reason to move out of your parents' place, I would suggest staying there for awhile longer. Build up a substantial amount of savings.

Also, when it comes to buying a house, what you make matters, but you also need to look at the long-term prospects for your job. Are you going to want to be changing jobs in a year or two? Or five, even? Because when it comes to job hunting, a house is a fucking albatross around your neck. It's probably worth changing apartments to shave 15 minutes off of your commute, but barely worth selling a house to shave an hour off unless you turn a profit.

• Options
    Yeah, trying to get rid of a house is like trying to get rid of a 6th leg.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    That said, if you're comfortable enough living with your parents, and they don't mind having you around, staying home at least a little longer is a fantastic option.

I just wanted to echo this.

When I was in my early 20s, I struggled to live on my own for a while, mostly out of pride. It was a bad decision. I absolutely should have accepted my mother's support for a little while.

Build up a little savings and try to have an emergency cushion before you move out.
    LadyM wrote: »
    First time living on your own? Rent. If rent and make a bad choice of apartment--and I know many people who did on their first time living alone--you will not be stuck with it. Get some experience living on your own first, get an apartment in a neighborhood you think you'd like and see if it's really all that, and get a house later.

I also agree with this.

You learn a lot from your first apartment. Jumping into a big financial responsibility like owning a home without having a little bit of experience living on your own (or with roommates) could lead to some bad decisions.

Try to build up your savings while living with your parents, and then find an inexpensive apartment for a year. That's my suggestion.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    I am 23, I moved out of my parents house and bought a house 3 years ago.

It has to be one of the single largest regrets I have at this point in my life. I love the independence, I love getting off of work and heading into a house that is mine, it is a wonderful feeling. But it is a lot of work, and honestly I am still learning what needs to be done to sustain the house as it is.

I would most definitely stay home as long as possible, and if you absolutely cannot stand living with your parents any longer I would rent a nice apartment or condo for awhile.

If you are a sadist and love stress and headaches and coming home from work to stay up all night because something broke, or needs repair, or you can't stand that godawful color of your living room, buy a house.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I would rent, for sure. You need to get some experience living on your own before you even consider spending several hundred thousand dollars on a house.

Hell, I'm 32 and have still never bought a house. For all the "good" people tell me it will do financially, I watch those same people constantly complain about having to spend all their free time doing honey-do crap around the house. If I inquire what most of the guys at work are doing for the weekend, it's some variation of mow the lawn/fix a leak/paint a room/remodel the bathroom et al.

If that sort of thing isn't for you (like it isn't for me), then all the financial benefit in the world won't make it worth it. There are other ways to build financial security than owning a home.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I help my dad do all that shit so second nature to me, but yeah, if you're not willing to unclog a drain or sheetrock a wall from time to time home ownership shouldn't be your priority.

Plus you're young, so fuck that noise.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I help my dad do all that shit so second nature to me, but yeah, if you're not willing to unclog a drain or sheetrock a wall from time to time home ownership shouldn't be your priority.

Plus you're young, so fuck that noise.

Yeah, I am just not that guy. Computers/electronics are my thing, I can barely swing a hammer. It is what it is, and in the modern world, I just don't have the need to be able to do that. Does it mean I will probably never own a home, or never own one outside of a condo community with implied maintenance? Probably. But like I said, I'm happy with it, I know my personal limitations. I've also learned other ways to secure my financial future than equity in a home (equity that we've learned in the last few years isn't quite as ironclad as we had been spoonfed for 50 years).

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I would stack up cash as high as possible as long as you can stand living at your parents. I would then rent for at least one year.

Things I would consider when buying a home:
    Research - Know the area you're buying a home in, talk to realtors who love their job, who dream about selling homes at night. Now is great time to buy because the interest rates are so low, and there are still so many foreclosures, short-sales, artificially depressed areas. Think of your future, if you're going to be moving in less than 5 years, or you haven't planned anything out to 5 years, rent.

Parameters - 15 year fixed rate mortgage where the payment is 25% or less of your monthly income. Have 3-6 month emergency fund in a savings/money market account. Insurance, get good home-owners insurance, someone gets hurt on your property, and they sue for $250k, you want a big hairy insurance company between you and bankruptcy.

Know your limits - buying a house you can't afford is a curse not a blessing. There are a lot of incidental costs to home ownership and if your budget is super tight, one little mishap can have an immensely magnified results. Don't get too attached to a house, start small, and you can always sell and move up in house later. This is why buying a house is considered a good idea. Generally speaking, property goes up in value. So if you pay $100k for a house, over the course of 5-10 years it goes up in value, and you can get your original money back out of it plus capital gains. But, there's a lot of :effort: that goes with home ownership, so just bear that in mind.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    House poor is a thing you want to avoid, especially young.

You don't want a leaky roof to teeter you into bankruptcy. There's a reason in most areas buying a house of the same square footage will easily cost $300-500 less a month than renting, you're not accounting for maintenance in your mortgage (and property taxes [ and their profit, but that's above the line]).

• Options
    You should be accounting for property taxes in your mortgage via escrow. Don't be that guy who doesn't escrow his property taxes and comes to the end of the year without the cash to pay them.

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    I'm 29 and my path didn't really go the route where I could live w/ my parents past high school. If I could have, I would have. It's amazing how much money you can save as a single person living at home with parents compared to living alone. I went to college out of state right at 18 and then got a good job in that same away state right out of college so I've been lucky in life, and no complaints, but the expense of living on your own and doing so by yourself is high. I'm talking no roommate to split costs be it a bud or a SO who has a job. Then those arrangements can get all kinds of ugly as well for a million different reasons.

Stay at home as long as it does more good than harm. If living there is holding you back from a better job or stopping your parents from being able to do something then factor that in and maybe move out if your secure financially. If they like having you around, you don't mind living there, and it saves you all that money you would be spending living on your own then stay awhile longer, but double down on saving.

Don't blow that money you save by living there on eating/drinking out or buying tons and tons of clothes/gadgets/crap. Allow yourself a modest budget for those things and really save your money for your future.

When you do decide to move out I recommend renting first.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. In regards to staying with the folks for a bit, I'm going to stay a little while longer until the last of my debt is paid off, but past that I think I've outgrown my home both practically and mentally to the point that I don't really want to wait TOO long. Maybe I'm naive, but I think I need some independence and privacy that I can't get here. Banking money is nice and all, but I'm getting to the point financially where I feel safe moving, and I think it would do me some real good in many ways.

After reading your comments, I'm starting to think an apartment may be the way to go. I've run the numbers before and costs look about the same(after repairs, tax, insurance, and all that) and I don't anticipate moving very far since all the places I'd potentially work are right around where I live, but I think there might be some things with maintaining a house in other respects that I just don't want to bother with spending the time on right now.

Anyways, keep the comments going, I really appreciate it. Thanks again.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I totally understand your need for independence and privacy, and it's not something you should ignore. Like you said, stacking paper is great...but you can still do that living on your own. Just be modest about the apartment you move in to, and keep a nice solid budget. You won't be able to save as much, but you can still save.

Also take in to account that you'll probably want to drop 5-10k on furniture when you first move (as you'll have nothing, and you don't sound like the type that wants a bachelor pad with a futon and cinder block entertainment unit). Don't skimp on a good bed, for the love of god. You'll spend a majority of your home life in your bed (asleep or otherwise), and spending good money on one is important (I mean the mattress and stuff, what kind of head board you get is up to you).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thanks, that's actually another thing I was wondering about. How much would I be looking at furnishing a 2 bedroom(one becoming an office most likely) apartment, probably ~1000 square feet? I'm not looking for anything incredibly high end but I don't want to wind up with college dorm quality stuff either.

I've also been looking to ballpark gas/electric/water but I assume I won't be able to really get good figures on this outside of checking with some other tenants for each unit I'm looking at.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    gespo89 wrote: »
    Thanks, that's actually another thing I was wondering about. How much would I be looking at furnishing a 2 bedroom(one becoming an office most likely) apartment, probably ~1000 square feet? I'm not looking for anything incredibly high end but I don't want to wind up with college dorm quality stuff either.

5-10k is reasonable to furnish an entire place from scratch with stuff that is slightly higher than Ikea quality, but isn't solid oak hand crafted either. Your biggest outlays are going to be your mattress (don't skimp here), a TV and likely your couch. Don't be afraid to go Ikea on certain things (end tables, coffee table, entertainment system), but I would avoid ikea for "comfort" items like your couch and mattress. You can save some money here by not getting things you may not use regularly, like a kitchen table. As a single male, I eat at my computer and in front of my TV, so I just let my wife have the kitchen table in the divorce and haven't replaced it yet.

Also, if you can afford it, try a Tempurpedic and see if you like it. Mine was worth every penny I spent on it, but beds can be so subjective I don't want to be all "GO BUY ONE RIGHT NOW".

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

5-10k is reasonable to furnish an entire place from scratch with stuff that is slightly higher than Ikea quality, but isn't solid oak hand crafted either. Your biggest outlays are going to be your mattress (don't skimp here), a TV and likely your couch. Don't be afraid to go Ikea on certain things (end tables, coffee table, entertainment system), but I would avoid ikea for "comfort" items like your couch and mattress. You can save some money here by not getting things you may not use regularly, like a kitchen table. As a single male, I eat at my computer and in front of my TV, so I just let my wife have the kitchen table in the divorce and haven't replaced it yet.

Also, if you can afford it, try a Tempurpedic and see if you like it. Mine was worth every penny I spent on it, but beds can be so subjective I don't want to be all "GO BUY ONE RIGHT NOW".

Luckily the TV is already covered, but the other two I'm probably gonna have to pick up. I could probably take my mattress from home if I wanted, but I'm not very fond of it. As for a Tempurpedic mattress, I actually tried one a while back and was quite fond of it. I may actually end up going that route. Do those require a platform bed or do they have a pseudo box-spring type object?

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You can either buy a foundation (it's like box spring, but not, don't buy just a regular box spring), or you can buy a platform bed. I actually have a slat bed, but I have the Tempurpedic foundation. There are some off brand foundations if you don't want to spring for the Tempurpedic one (I know Englander makes one)...but be careful, using an unapproved foundation will void your warranty with Tempurpedic. Any reputable furniture store should be able to walk you through this.

Also, don't be fooled by "we sell Tempurpedic cheaper!" stuff, Tempurpedic sets the prices at the factory and stores have almost no wiggle room with it. If they are giving you some kind of "deal", it's likely they are screwing you somewhere else to recoup the cost they are losing.

e: Also, be prepared for the smell. Memory foam mattresses stink to high heaven for the first week you have them. It's like the new carpet smell, but stronger. Best bet is to let the matress air out as much as possible (take the sheets off when you head to work for instance).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Luckily the TV is already covered, but the other two I'm probably gonna have to pick up. I could probably take my mattress from home if I wanted, but I'm not very fond of it. As for a Tempurpedic mattress, I actually tried one a while back and was quite fond of it. I may actually end up going that route. Do those require a platform bed or do they have a pseudo box-spring type object?

You can get a foundation for them (basically a box spring). If this is your first place, definitely rent. Also don't worry TOO much about buying all new furniture. Scour yard sales in the spring and you can find a ton of useful and decent pieces for pennies on the dollar of what lesser quality stuff would cost in a store. In addition, I recommend a roommate for the "how do you live with other people" lessons that you should learn in life, if you haven't gotten them already, as well as cost savings of splitting utilities.

• Options
    Eh, call me an elitist, but I hate used furniture. If you can afford it, and actually want some nice things you can call your own, that don't have other peoples various bodily fluids, spilled food and drinks, and other stuff on them, buy new stuff. It's not that expensive to get decent quality stuff that's made of real wood.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    To be fair since your by yourself you can skimp on certain furniture purchases, for example, I have a leather chair, it used to be nice, I actually need to get another one, but it costs twice as much as my couch. My couch is a futon, for guests, I grabbed a coffee table and diner table from my mom, but you can Walmart/Target/Costco that stuff, for cheap. Cort furniture is a good place for used furniture because they steam clean and chemically treat the stuff before you buy. Also you can furnish your entire apartment for $1300 bucks with better than Ikea stuff.

Somethings you'll want that you never thought about.

Shower curtains/shower hooks
    cleaning gear (mop broom paper towls cleaner toilet brush)
    cooking gear (pots pans cutting board spachula)
    lamp. In your area living rooms often don't have lights

There will be other stuff, and be prepared to drop 250-300 bucks on just odds and ends.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    You can save some money here by not getting things you may not use regularly, like a kitchen table. As a single male, I eat at my computer and in front of my TV, so I just let my wife have the kitchen table in the divorce and haven't replaced it yet.

I used a plastic banquet table from Staples - cover with a table cloth, good to go!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I'd say a good budget for standard bachelor pad furniture is in the ballpark of $4,000.

$1000 for a bed, trust me on that, and $3000 for the rest of the fixtures.

If you're okay with ikea (don't get ikea for a bed) then you can probably do $2000 total. Things you'll probably want are:

Entertainment stand (for the TV) ($200-300)
    Additionally, their might be an audio/video tower that accompanies it (if you have surround sound, or lots of consoles)($100-200)

Couch ($700)
    chair/recliner ($400)
    coffee table + 2 end tables ($500)

Dining room table + 4 chairs ($300-500)
    2 night stands for bed ($400)

You can get a queen sleep number bed for like $900, don't skimp on the bed.

My prices are used the local furniture store around here that uses real wood. It's worth the price. Like I said, you can probably knock $1000 off the price by using ikea furniture. Again this is all furniture, you still need shit like toiletries, towels, sheets, blankets (get extra), pillows (get extra), pots, pans, cooking/baking shit, silverware, chef's knives and such (get a good set), steak knives (get a good set).

Which will probably add another $1000 or so.

bowen on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Not to hijack, but i bought a bed frame from ikea that they said was a platform bed. It's got a slatted base, so i feel like i need something else down there to keep from screwing up my memory foam mattress. Am i an idiot and bought the wrong base? or would i have needed to buy a foundation regardless?

• Options
    As long as you get the right kind of mattress it should be fine? Slatted bases tend to be more stable than your typical cast iron trolley thingies you usually get with a box spring.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Not to hijack, but i bought a bed frame from ikea that they said was a platform bed. It's got a slatted base, so i feel like i need something else down there to keep from screwing up my memory foam mattress. Am i an idiot and bought the wrong base? or would i have needed to buy a foundation regardless?

How many slats is it? Is it just 3, or is it like 10+ with small gaps? If it's the latter, it's fine for a memory foam...you just need consistant support across the entire length of the matress.

My daughter has a bed from Ikea with the roll out slat base, which is like 15 slats with an inch gap between them. Supports her memory foam mattress fine (she has an off brand, not a real tempur). My bed is a real wood full on bed, that only has three slats. I need a foundation for my Tempurpedic.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    As someone who moved out at 19 and never looked back, moving out was one of the best decision I ever made. But I didn't buy a house.

Why was moving out so great?

1. A place to get my fuck on
    2. A place to get my drink on
    3. A place to get my anything on

Theres something liberating yet scary about being on your own. The whole "save a bunch of money and then move out" just seems so boring and something an accountant would do. And at what point are you ever really ready to move out with that mentality of saving being so important. What is the point of saving if you have to sheepishly bring a girl home to your parents house as a 24 year old?

My wife's boss has 3 kids at home, 28, 26, 23 who all live at home and none of them seem like they will ever move out. And it's weird. and they mooch off their dad who works a ton to support all of them. They all seem like stunted adults who have no responsibility or ambition. I've known a lot of people over the years who idealize living at home because they basically get to be a teenager all over again, but can drink and spend money on flashy stuff.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Eh, I think it depends. If you have a serious reason to live at home during or after college, to deal with student debt for instance, or while you're trying to kick start a career, I get it...but yeah, living at home when you're 28 because you have zero ambition to do otherwise is lame.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Indeed, on the other end of the spectrum my step-father-in-law (who's one of the most badass individuals I know) continued to live with his mother after he bought his first house (which he rented out). It was largely a financial decision, though he and his mom were pretty close. I'm not saying buy a house and rent it out while you live with your parents, just that you don't have to be some underdeveloped person to opt to live rent-free with your parents, assuming they are cool with that.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular

How many slats is it? Is it just 3, or is it like 10+ with small gaps? If it's the latter, it's fine for a memory foam...you just need consistant support across the entire length of the matress.

My daughter has a bed from Ikea with the roll out slat base, which is like 15 slats with an inch gap between them. Supports her memory foam mattress fine (she has an off brand, not a real tempur). My bed is a real wood full on bed, that only has three slats. I need a foundation for my Tempurpedic.

Yeah i probably have the same slat base, so that's all i need? keep in mind i am a big boy(275 atm). i don't want to end up with a pile of 1 inch slices of memory foam after my first night.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »
    As someone who moved out at 19 and never looked back, moving out was one of the best decision I ever made. But I didn't buy a house.

Why was moving out so great?

1. A place to get my fuck on
    2. A place to get my drink on
    3. A place to get my anything on

Theres something liberating yet scary about being on your own. The whole "save a bunch of money and then move out" just seems so boring and something an accountant would do. And at what point are you ever really ready to move out with that mentality of saving being so important. What is the point of saving if you have to sheepishly bring a girl home to your parents house as a 24 year old?

My wife's boss has 3 kids at home, 28, 26, 23 who all live at home and none of them seem like they will ever move out. And it's weird. and they mooch off their dad who works a ton to support all of them. They all seem like stunted adults who have no responsibility or ambition. I've known a lot of people over the years who idealize living at home because they basically get to be a teenager all over again, but can drink and spend money on flashy stuff.
    The only thing worse than living at home when you're 24 is moving back home when you're 25 because you didn't wait until you had more financial security to move out.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Yeah i probably have the same slat base, so that's all i need? keep in mind i am a big boy(275 atm). i don't want to end up with a pile of 1 inch slices of memory foam after my first night.

Nah, you should be good if you have the roll out slat base I described. If you're really uncomfortable about it (which I understand, good memory foam mattresses are spendy), go pick up an Englander foundation for ~$150 bucks.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You should be accounting for property taxes in your mortgage via escrow. Don't be that guy who doesn't escrow his property taxes and comes to the end of the year without the cash to pay them.

Or just be more financially responsible, and make sure you can afford your property taxes. From what I was told by my mortgage broker, having them "take care" of my property taxes is kind of risky. For instance, if my taxes increase, the bank may not know about it and will continue to pay the previous amount. Then, suddenly, the city is hitting me with all sorts of charges for unpaid taxes.

In any event, you can set up a monthly payment plan with the city on your own. There is no reason to involve the banks in anything except a mortgage. This includes your retirement savings as well.
    I've also been looking to ballpark gas/electric/water but I assume I won't be able to really get good figures on this outside of checking with some other tenants for each unit I'm looking at.

It will vary from apartment building to apartment building, but not by a drastic amount (outside of glaring efficiency issues). Ask someone in your city who lives on their own what they spend, and you'll probably be in around the same figure. Water is usually included in an apartment (if not all utilities) because they won't have a meter for every single unit. Try to find a place with utilities included if you're really that concerned, but it's usually just a convenience more than savings money. The rent will obviously be higher because of it.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment