As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: February part II is done, go to the next thread

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Angry Birds versus Sensitive Humans.

NNID: Rehab0
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ...how do you know they bothered to express it simply because they felt in the majority?

Because you hit 'Post a Reply'.

There's safety in numbers when picking low-hanging fruit. Aim high, Willis!

...then how do you explain people hating me constantly talking about how they hate Angry Birds, when people were pretty much just tired of hearing about the whole phenomenon and not terribly interested in talking about it anymore?

Fix'd for how I remember it.

Actually, people have just grown accustomed to expressing their hatred of Angry Birds by claiming I complain about people getting worked up about Angry Birds too much.

(singing) It's the circle of bitching....

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    [KARA Video]

Holy shit! Tech demo aside, that's a compelling beginning to what could be a great story.

My wants it!

You're too early. Give it a year or two and people will be panning it like they do every Quantic Dream title.

I don't know, I think it took about 5 minutes for people to incorrectly assert 'UNCANNY VALLEY' after the Heavy Rain reveal.

Yeah, but nobody gave enough of a damn to bitch about the tech video that they released a few years earlier.

That's the one I meant, the first E3 reveal when Sony were showing off the PS3, with the woman in the kitchen? People bitched like loons about that.

Huh. I don't remember that. I remember they released the video, then two or so years later people hated the game. (I also remember being called an idiot because I didn't know SONY picked up the publishing rights and wondered aloud if it would get a 360 release. That was fun.)

I'm probably overstating the 'time-to-hatred', but I do remember a lot of people pulling out the now-famous really awkward expression from it and calling it 'uncanny valley', rather than, well, an awkward, inhuman facial expression. As for the game itself, I can't speak entirely from personal opinion because we're still playing it for the first time, but I think some people get caught up on plot holes and can't suspend disbelief enough, while others (so far, I'm in this category) can put issues aside and enjoy a game that's attempting to do something really quite different.

Yeah, but the general theme of most game players is that they like to pick the carcass clean. Just think back on the last few days in this thread alone to see what people bother to express when they feel in the majority.

Well aware, I've done my share of that too. By the way, do I assume that you're back here now because things have taken a turn for the better at all?

No. Just an uneasy stability.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jim Sterling is a professional troll

His entire schtick is "getting reactions"

So when Sega reacted to him publicly, well, that's basically everything he could ask for. Now it wasn't even just FANS reacting over his bullshit, but an actual publisher.

So that Kara video... is the off-screen male character supposed to be exceedingly creepy? Because I was disgusted enough by the first several minutes of the video that I stopped it. I'm hoping there was a twist at the end or something.

The twist is that he didn't try to have sex with it.

(I actually have no idea, I muted it because I was listening to music)

...I realize that posting this now of all times isn't exactly helpful, but I blundered into it and it actually is kinda interesting.

At any rate, Rovio managed to get NASA astronauts on board the space station to schill for Angry Birds Space:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxI1L1RiSJQ

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

So when Sega reacted to him publicly, well, that's basically everything he could ask for. Now it wasn't even just FANS reacting over his bullshit, but an actual publisher.

This may well be the truth, but I doubt he enjoyed having a banner take up his entire yard. He got a response that was equally as annoying, not just mere bitching.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    [KARA Video]

Holy shit! Tech demo aside, that's a compelling beginning to what could be a great story.

My wants it!

You're too early. Give it a year or two and people will be panning it like they do every Quantic Dream title.

I don't know, I think it took about 5 minutes for people to incorrectly assert 'UNCANNY VALLEY' after the Heavy Rain reveal.

Yeah, but nobody gave enough of a damn to bitch about the tech video that they released a few years earlier.

That's the one I meant, the first E3 reveal when Sony were showing off the PS3, with the woman in the kitchen? People bitched like loons about that.

Huh. I don't remember that. I remember they released the video, then two or so years later people hated the game. (I also remember being called an idiot because I didn't know SONY picked up the publishing rights and wondered aloud if it would get a 360 release. That was fun.)

I'm probably overstating the 'time-to-hatred', but I do remember a lot of people pulling out the now-famous really awkward expression from it and calling it 'uncanny valley', rather than, well, an awkward, inhuman facial expression. As for the game itself, I can't speak entirely from personal opinion because we're still playing it for the first time, but I think some people get caught up on plot holes and can't suspend disbelief enough, while others (so far, I'm in this category) can put issues aside and enjoy a game that's attempting to do something really quite different.

Yeah, but the general theme of most game players is that they like to pick the carcass clean. Just think back on the last few days in this thread alone to see what people bother to express when they feel in the majority.

Well aware, I've done my share of that too. By the way, do I assume that you're back here now because things have taken a turn for the better at all?

No. Just an uneasy stability.

Okay, well I hope they do improve soon, man.

Anyway, in completely unrelated discussion to Quantic Dream doing things, Antichamber does look very awesome, and now New Scienctist are recognising this:
    http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2012/03/how-do-you-run-and-jump-in-warped-space.html
    Imagine trying to navigate a world where the laws of physics are always changing: where strange spaces and non-Euclidian geometry challenge your instincts, and retracing your steps doesn’t lead you back to where you started.

Such bewildering situations confront you in Antichamber, a puzzle-based video game that confuses your perceptions as you navigate an M.C. Escher-inspired labyrinth. The game was announced as the winner of the technical excellence award at the Independent Games Festival in San Francisco, California yesterday.

Alexander Bruce, the game’s creator, hit upon the idea while he was learning to program by recreating the classic game Snake. A rookie coding error meant the geometry of the game ended up far more abstract than a simple 2D plane. He repeatedly returned to the idea, and eventually worked out how to make it into a game.

“I realised the things that made these geometry and space prototypes interesting was not specifically how they functioned, but how a player would have to try to comprehend the rules behind them, ” explains Bruce.

Figuring out the game’s rules is often a case of trial-and-error, but you are never punished for failure. At the start of the game you find yourself on one side of a chasm, the word “Jump” suspended in mid-air. Follow the instructions and you’ll fall - but simply to another part of the maze, rather than your doom. It turns out simply walking forward slowly as the ground assembles at your feet is the key to getting across - a lesson that comes into play when crossing a second chasm later on. This time a short wall prevents you from advancing, but clever players will have learned they should walk around it, rather than jump over it.

Part of Antichamber’s remit is to make complex ideas accessible, says Bruce. “Things that are completely incomprehensible by looking at mathematical formulas on paper, like quantum mechanics or non-Euclidean space, could be presented in a way that allows the player to interact with them more directly and understand their ramifications.”

As you progress through the game and your understanding of its rules increases, so does your ability to manipulate the world around you. You eventually get your hands on a gun that shoots small blocks, letting you hold open doors or flick switches, and additional upgrades provide the means to access new parts of the labyrinth.

The version of Antichamber I played was still a work in progress, but it was captivating enough that I spent hours at a time lost in its maze, trying to wrap my head around Bruce’s mind-bending puzzles. If you’ve ever day-dreamed about higher-dimensional spaces or just wanted to explore the innards of an Escher painting, be sure to play the full version when it is released on PC and Mac later this year.

forumsig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/08/lotro-and-ddo-coming-to-a-cloud-near-you/
    Cloud-based gaming service Gaikai, Inc. and Warner Bros. Interactive have just announced a plan to stream Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online gameplay via browser. Players will be able to feed their impulse gaming by hopping into both hybrid free-to-play MMOs without any lengthy downloads or huge installations. According to a press release distributed today,
    Gamers can try The Lord of the Rings Online now, with Dungeons & Dragons Online to follow soon [...] via a simple one-step registration process that will provide them instant access to try the full version of the award-winning, free-to-play massively multiplayer experiences.

A Turbine FAQ further clarifies that this service provides only one hour of gameplay. [Thanks to reader Mr. Angry for the heads up.]

This marks the first MMO streaming Gaikai will have undertaken; its streaming portfolio includes non-MMO games like Spore, Mass Effect 2, and The Sims 3.

[Source: Warner Bros. and Gaikai, Inc. press release]

Speaking of advertising, looks like Nintendo's taking a new strategy with the 3DS:
    3ds37.jpg

You can the see the image above on a wall in Nintendo's GDC booth this week, and discern a new (and surprising) angle for 3DS marketing. The poster advertises the 3DS as "Nintendo's most connected console ever," touting online services like Swapnote, Nintendo Zone, and ... Nintendo Video. In a nicely progressive move, it acknowledges the existence of the eShop!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/08/nintendo-pushes-connnectivity-message-on-gdc-display/

Onlive in roo-ins

http://kotaku.com/5891609/gdc-notebook-day-3-the-death-of-consoles-andor-their-rebirth
    The state of things is represented by Epic Games' 2012 version of their show-off session. Every year at GDC, the company's top marketing guy Mark Rein shows a roomful of reporters Epic's latest Unreal graphics tech and talks about how wonderful a toolset it is for game developers big and small to use to make attractive games. But this year, Rein wouldn't show us Epic's best tech. The company's demonstration for Epic's Unreal Engine 4 was for non-press—just for life-signing-away game makers. UE4 is meant to help make games for gaming consoles none of us owns today. Shielded from that, the press got to see another iteration of last year's dazzling "Samaritan" demo for Unreal Engine 3, a better-looking-than-anything-we-have-now Blade-Runner-style sequence that both shows where Epic thinks next-gen gaming should go but is capable of running on today's engine. The point, Rein explained to me, is that, if you were making a game for next-gen systems that you'd also want running on current systems, you would still go with UE3 and try for Samaritan-level sizzle in the next-gen versions of the game. But if you were going purely next-gen, you'd go with UE4. But forget the gens, because Rein was up there showing Unreal Tournament III running in Flash in a web browser, a la Farmville. And he's saying Epic wants to get Samaritan running in that. Somehow. And that is where gaming is going.

But what is needed is some good ol' fashioned doom.
    The chart up top is a good companion piece. It's from a stirring talk given late in the day by ngmoco's Ben Cousins, who calmly provoked with an impressive argument that video game consoles are entering their arcade obsolescence moment—their death, as he put it, distinguishing death from extinction in a manner that allowed us all to agree that the car killed the horse-and-buggy but didn't wipe the latter from Earth. I'll have more on this talk and Cousins' ideas in the future—there's data to compare and arguments to examine further—but the gist is that the technical advantages of consoles are fading and becoming less relevant, as mobile gaming proves to be more accessible in all aspects of getting, playing and enjoying video games. It's a strong argument when you stack up the bad news of lost profits of the major traditional gaming companies.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

This may well be the truth, but I doubt he enjoyed having a banner take up his entire yard. He got a response that was equally as annoying, not just mere bitching.

And he likely sold that banner on eBay to some Sonic collector for a ton of cash.

I'm with Santa on the whole thing, it's all wink-wink-nod-nod between the two and Sterling and Sega love it. I've never been personally offended by the guy or his reviews or columns, and I've listened to some of his podcasts and he seems like a likeable dude. I honestly don't know if he's just playing a part or just more brutally honest than every other journalist out there who goes out of their way to spooge over games in the hopes of MAYBE getting a Sonic banner or invite to some special event at the company headquarters.

Allforce wrote: »

And he likely sold that banner on eBay to some Sonic collector for a ton of cash.

I'm with Santa on the whole thing, it's all wink-wink-nod-nod between the two and Sterling and Sega love it. I've never been personally offended by the guy or his reviews or columns, and I've listened to some of his podcasts and he seems like a likeable dude. I honestly don't know if he's just playing a part or just more brutally honest than every other journalist out there who goes out of their way to spooge over games in the hopes of MAYBE getting a Sonic banner or invite to some special event at the company headquarters.

According to Sega's PR man, Jim Sterling still has the banner in his garage.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Speaking of advertising, looks like Nintendo's taking a new strategy with the 3DS:
    3ds37.jpg

You can the see the image above on a wall in Nintendo's GDC booth this week, and discern a new (and surprising) angle for 3DS marketing. The poster advertises the 3DS as "Nintendo's most connected console ever," touting online services like Swapnote, Nintendo Zone, and ... Nintendo Video. In a nicely progressive move, it acknowledges the existence of the eShop!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/08/nintendo-pushes-connnectivity-message-on-gdc-display/

Cool! Nintendo acknowledges the existence of the internet!

Now if only we could get some 3D programming onto the system, like 3Net or Youtube 3D or Hulu/Netflix hosting 3D video for the 3DS. I love some of the clips from 3Net on Nintendo Video, but I'd love to actually see the whole show.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The chart up top is a good companion piece. It's from a stirring talk given late in the day by ngmoco's Ben Cousins, who calmly provoked with an impressive argument that video game consoles are entering their arcade obsolescence moment—their death, as he put it, distinguishing death from extinction in a manner that allowed us all to agree that the car killed the horse-and-buggy but didn't wipe the latter from Earth. I'll have more on this talk and Cousins' ideas in the future—there's data to compare and arguments to examine further—but the gist is that the technical advantages of consoles are fading and becoming less relevant, as mobile gaming proves to be more accessible in all aspects of getting, playing and enjoying video games. It's a strong argument when you stack up the bad news of lost profits of the major traditional gaming companies.

I'll give them this: It's easier to be technologically relevant when you release a new iteration of the hardware every few months.

Though, I'm not sure anybody other than the hype-machine for a console ever said a console had any particular technical advantage.

ArcSyn wrote: »
    3ds37.jpg

Now if only we could get some 3D programming onto the system, like 3Net or Youtube 3D or Hulu/Netflix hosting 3D video for the 3DS. I love some of the clips from 3Net on Nintendo Video, but I'd love to actually see the whole show.

Does Japan have a 3D Video service for the 3DS? Also, doesn't Netflix host 3D enabled video for 3D TVs?

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I would love a youtube channel with 3d support. I know every device in my house already supports youtube, but the 3d videos would be great.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    3ds37.jpg

Does Japan have a 3D Video service for the 3DS? Also, doesn't Netflix host 3D enabled video for 3D TVs?

I don't believe Netflix has any 3D video on their service due to bandwidth concerns. But the 3DS requires such a low resolution compared to 1080p HDTVs, that I think they could actually do it without much problem.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Though, I'm not sure anybody other than the hype-machine for a console ever said a console had any particular technical advantage.

You kidding? That's more or less the foundation of every one of the Console Warzzz.

...never mind that, after the consoles are released, people tend to shut up about them. No one goes ape over Blu-ray or disk-swapping anymore. Still, that won't prevent people from bringing up the banner again. Plenty are already griping about the Wii U being underpowered.

http://kotaku.com/5891609/gdc-notebook-day-3-the-death-of-consoles-andor-their-rebirth
    The state of things is represented by Epic Games' 2012 version of their show-off session. Every year at GDC, the company's top marketing guy Mark Rein shows a roomful of reporters Epic's latest Unreal graphics tech and talks about how wonderful a toolset it is for game developers big and small to use to make attractive games. But this year, Rein wouldn't show us Epic's best tech. The company's demonstration for Epic's Unreal Engine 4 was for non-press—just for life-signing-away game makers. UE4 is meant to help make games for gaming consoles none of us owns today. Shielded from that, the press got to see another iteration of last year's dazzling "Samaritan" demo for Unreal Engine 3, a better-looking-than-anything-we-have-now Blade-Runner-style sequence that both shows where Epic thinks next-gen gaming should go but is capable of running on today's engine. The point, Rein explained to me, is that, if you were making a game for next-gen systems that you'd also want running on current systems, you would still go with UE3 and try for Samaritan-level sizzle in the next-gen versions of the game. But if you were going purely next-gen, you'd go with UE4. But forget the gens, because Rein was up there showing Unreal Tournament III running in Flash in a web browser, a la Farmville. And he's saying Epic wants to get Samaritan running in that. Somehow. And that is where gaming is going.

I don't think it'll be the ipad or iphone which finally brings console gaming to an ending

I think it'll be whichever company creates the first mainstream HTPC. Be it apple, or Google, or Microsoft, or even Steam with their steambox spec.

For the record, I'm pulling for Steam. An open standard benefits us all.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I can't wait until cell phones and tablets hit the same sort of tech stagnation that PCs largely have

It'll be nice when I can buy a phone and it won't be outdated in a week

If battery tech doesn't improve, we'll hit that mark soon.
    [KARA Video]

My wants it!

I'd much rather he just made a movie and be done with it.

In other news, following his IGF award win, Phil Fish went on a Twitter Victory Lap.

@CrowTGamer i just won the grand prize at IGF tonight. suck my dick. choke on it.

@Grabcocque i think it was a shameful, corrupt joke until i won it, and made it legit. you're welcome.

no but seriously, suck my dick.

you guys thought i was an egotistical asshole before...

Classy.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I can't wait until cell phones and tablets hit the same sort of tech stagnation that PCs largely have

I'm conflicted because battery tech is the only thing I'm really dying for them to improve upon right now.

You kidding? That's more or less the foundation of every one of the Console Warzzz.

...never mind that, after the consoles are released, people tend to shut up about them. No one goes ape over Blu-ray or disk-swapping anymore. Still, that won't prevent people from bringing up the banner again. Plenty are already griping about the Wii U being underpowered.

I'm not talking about dick-waving. I'm talking about mentioning how the 360 is better because it has a more technologically superior Boston Creme Pie inside compared to the PS3's Mincemeat. The rest is just people picking a side and being a goose about it. Even tech reviews only talk about whether or not the tech is any good at all and they almost always conclude with the general 'good now, can't wait for the next one'.

You know what would 'kill' consoles? When whatever is supposed to kill them off actually can replace them. Popular or not, cellphones as game devices aren't really much of a substitute and tablet gaming is just PC-gaming-on-a-laptop in disguise.

Like how PC gaming is dead, so shall console gaming.

If he hadn't already stepped forward as being a huge douchenozzle I would have guessed someone hacked his account or something.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I know which "IGF Award Winner" I won't be buying. :)

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I don't think we'll see the end of the settop console for years.

As a side note - if a Steam box came along at a reasonable price, setup in a HTPC box, with a dedicated controller and games through Steam that were "certified" in some way to work with that controller then in my mind (and many others) that Steam box is a console. There may be multiple versions of the Steam Box, but just like the 3DO had multiple versions, they would still be consoles if their primary function is home entertainment within a TV centered setup.

I'm not talking about dick-waving. I'm talking about mentioning how the 360 is better because it has a more technologically superior Boston Creme Pie inside compared to the PS3's Mincemeat. The rest is just people picking a side and being a goose about it. Even tech reviews only talk about whether or not the tech is any good at all and they almost always conclude with the general 'good now, can't wait for the next one'.

And that's not dick-waving? :P That's exactly the sort of stuff I'm talking about. People went nuts debating about whether the 360 or PS3 was more powerful, and it turns out that most of the games are exactly the same with very, very minor differences.

At any rate. So Team Fortress 2 is a money-making monster:
    Think about this for a minute. From 2007 to 2011, Team Fortress 2 maintained a fairly consistent 20,000 or so concurrent players. In that time, Valve updated the game more than 100 times, added hundreds of Achievements, items, and weapons, and created an economy for the Steam community where a hat is a valuable form of currency.

Valve programmer Joe Ludwig explained in a talk at the Game Developers Conference that each free update, tweak, and piece of promotional material attracted new players and, in turn, sweet, sweet dollars.

This was before it went free-to-play and quadrupled its player base.

ValveRevenueGraph_1331175845.jpg

Team Fortress 2 also quadrupled in revenue from September 2007 to June 2011. When it went free-to-play last June, Ludwig explained, that revenue then tripled. "This couldn't happen on a platform with a lengthy certification process," said Ludwig (likely referring the restrictive nature of the Xbox).

In addition to praising the PC platform, he also attributed this enormous success to the way Valve involved its community in the creation of Team Fortress 2 content. The studio engaged players by implementing their gameplay feedback, using cosmetic items created by them, and hyping updates for numerous days. Ideally, players would always anticipate a better experience.

This stuff was all free, so the only money coming in through Team Fortress 2 was from people who hadn't yet played it.

The September 2010 MannConomy update allowed the purchase of individual items, which Valve was careful to balance in a way that both benefited and balanced Team Fortress 2. This is where it started monetizing the game again. The system was successful and useful enough that Valve could start returning some of the profit to the community. Users have earned $3M by selling items on the Steam Workshop.

Because the community exploded when Team Fortress 2 went free to play, this eventually became a huge cash flow. "I'd suggest anyone doing an online only game release free-to-play," Ludwig said. This isn't just because it worked for Valve, but because it's the most sensible means of attracting an audience. He says if Valve knew in 2007 what it knew now, Team Fortress 2 always would have been free.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1220284p1.html

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

[KARA Video]

My wants it!

I'd much rather he just made a movie and be done with it.

In other news, following his IGF award win, Phil Fish went on a Twitter Victory Lap.

@CrowTGamer i just won the grand prize at IGF tonight. suck my dick. choke on it.

@Grabcocque i think it was a shameful, corrupt joke until i won it, and made it legit. you're welcome.

no but seriously, suck my dick.

you guys thought i was an egotistical asshole before...

Classy.

Now I want to make a game that's better than his game, going by that article on Rock Paper Shotgun stuff like that really seems to upset the guy.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    I remember when PC gaming was doomed and consoles were supposed to replace the PC.

Arcades died for a shitload of reasons other than just graphics. Fixed location you had to go to, constant cost instead of one time costs, not suited to the more modern types of games that weren't competitive, etc.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Free to play model makes another company a ton of money.

Or as the internet would put it, OH MAN, TEAM FORTRESS 2 IS UP AGAINST THE ROPES, BARELY ABLE TO STAY AFLOAT AND NOT FAIL

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

I don't think it'll be the ipad or iphone which finally brings console gaming to an ending

I think it'll be whichever company creates the first mainstream HTPC. Be it apple, or Google, or Microsoft, or even Steam with their steambox spec.

For the record, I'm pulling for Steam. An open standard benefits us all.

I think people who crow about the death of consoles really don't look at the games created for both and realize its a different market. You couldn't do Mass Effect 3 on a touch screen. It'd just be the most strangely awkward thing ever. It'd either be dummied down for touch controls or use horrible virtual buttons.

Actual physical buttons are a surprisingly important part of a lot of games, be it in controllers or keyboards or whatever. Maybe if Microsoft ever perfects that technology that reads muscle spasms in your arm and can link those directly to input or something.

steam_sig.png
    I remember when PC gaming was doomed and consoles were supposed to replace the PC.

Arcades died for a shitload of reasons other than just graphics. Fixed location you had to go to, constant cost instead of one time costs, not suited to the more modern types of games that weren't competitive, etc.

Dave and Busters gets by by lathering up the patrons with liquor and giving them 'charge' cards like they were a fucking casino.

But, yeah. I'd see the console evolve into something more integrated (no idea into what) before I'd see cellphones and not-laptops replacing them outright.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Free to Play is the "Glide-plane" model of the gaming development business world. You put some updraft into your game by offering expansions and patches, and then you ride the wave of profit all the way down until you do it again.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Or as the internet would put it, OH MAN, TEAM FORTRESS 2 IS UP AGAINST THE ROPES, BARELY ABLE TO STAY AFLOAT AND NOT FAIL

I uh, don't think anyone was really saying that before TF2 went F2P. It was still selling even, three years after release.

Or am I just misunderstanding what you meant there?

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Free to Play is the "Glide-plane" model of the gaming development business world. You put some updraft into your game by offering expansions and patches, and then you ride the wave of profit all the way down until you do it again.

Unless you're making STO. In which case you explode shortly after takeoff.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    God damn, I love SEGA's trolling of Jim Sterling.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    I think people who crow about the death of consoles really don't look at the games created for both and realize its a different market. You couldn't do Mass Effect 3 on a touch screen. It'd just be the most strangely awkward thing ever. It'd either be dummied down for touch controls or use horrible virtual buttons.

Believe it or not, that actually exists:

Mass-Effect-Infiltrator-1.jpg

mass-effect-infiltrator-3ab.jpg

I bought it mainly because it ties into Mass Effect 3 and I'm a ME whore, but I was honestly impressed by how well it controls. Rather than use virtual buttons, you have FPS controls done by sliding your thumbs on either side of the screen. Select an enemy to shoot, then aim your crosshairs onto a target on the guy. Granted the experience is different than your average FPS, but it's a surprisingly competent streamlined take on the genre.

My only gripe is that they took the dialog trees out completely.

subedii wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

I uh, don't think anyone was really saying that before TF2 went F2P. It was still selling even, three years after release.

Or am I just misunderstanding what you meant there?

Reads more like a condemnation of the generic doomsaying when any other game that isn't WoW goes free-to-play.

edited March 2012
    Select an enemy to shoot, then aim your crosshairs onto a target on the guy.
    That sounds pretty awkward or like a shooting gallery. Are there any special powers like grenades, magic/biotics?

Edit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGAJsm_HE_8

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.