As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yet the ending is so bad, I don't want to play the game again and I've even lost interest in replaying the other two.

I've heard this a lot and I just cannot fathom it at all

I hate that the ending is overshadowing the awesomeness of 99.9% of the game

Conversely, it's pretty hard to be excited about any sort of story where you already know that you aren't going to get an ending anything like you'd hoped for and looked forward to. On a smaller scale, I'm certainly not going to be too excited about watching a great movie all over again with an ending that's pretty awful and doesn't fit the rest of the movie. Even with the rest of the game being good, a fitting ending is vitally important. Stories aren't piecemeal things where you just ignore the bad bits; they're inclusive things where every element matters.

And since the Mass Effect games are so enormously story-centered, then it makes complete sense to me that the current ending could sour the entire franchise for folks. If somebody puts just one drop of piss in your drink, are you really just going to ignore it because you like the rest of what's in there?

The gameplay has never been what made Mass Effect great for me. Especially when it comes to the first game, the gameplay wasn't really that great, as shooters go.

Its always been about the stories, and characters, for me. And they lose their attraction when I know what waits at the end of the game.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Schrondinger is being sarcastic I would assume.

It still baffles me that the ending didn't get peer review like the rest of the writing in the game. It really shows as well.
    I'm kind of leery of that. "How the hell does that happen?" was my first thought. That scene would touch dozens of hands as it was implemented, and no one thought, "Uh, does anyone else think this kind of bonkers?"

I think there might have been some koolaid drinking going on.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Actually...I liked the combat in ME2 and ME3 quite a bit.

I mean I replayed for the story too, but I did do some runs just to shoot things with powers and stuff.

I will say that ME has a pretty good balance in that regard.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »

It still baffles me that the ending didn't get peer review like the rest of the writing in the game. It really shows as well.
    I'm kind of doubtful of that. "How the hell does that happen?" was my first thought. That scene would touch dozens of hands as it was implemented, and no one thought, "Uh, does anyone else think this kind of bonkers?"

No one else involved until it's too late to change, story I heard.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What is everyones obsession with urine and fecal matter?! God damn, can't you see I'm drinking and eating cake here. :(

For me it's more that I play the game and think "Eventually, I'm going to have to decide where to stop playing ME3 so I get a proper ending". That point to me is:
    Shepard dies on the citadel after firing the crucible once she crawls to the console. I can use my IMAGINATION to fill in the blanks and make an awesome ending after that (because Bioware sure didn't). I like that ending because of the conversation with Anderson, which was really touching and genuinely emotional.

But it's not satisfying because in the end, I'm just using my imagination to make up whatever I want. At that point, I might as well not bother playing the game and just pretend in the first place.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ME2 and ME3 gameplay was tight. It wasn't revolutionary but it was all around solid.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hmm...depends on how you look at it. I will say that while the shooting is your basic TPS stuff. The power system really makes it unique.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I'm kind of doubtful of that. "How the hell does that happen?" was my first thought. That scene would touch dozens of hands as it was implemented, and no one thought, "Uh, does anyone else think this kind of bonkers?"

Its never too late to cut a feature that is incredibly bad.

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I did not know Banshees could insta-kill you when they aren't even facing you. Me + 2 other squad mates in Multiplayer shooting a Banshee from 3 different sides. I was shooting her in the back, but she was like.. maybe 6-10 "feet" in front of me but I guess that was too close because I suddenly floated THROUGH her to her front side and got stabbed in the back and died.

Is it ALWAYS an instant kill? Because that really is bullshit if it does infinite damage. It should at least leave you with a sliver of life or allow you to use a Medigel.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    ME2 and ME3 gameplay was tight. It wasn't revolutionary but it was all around solid.

thats my point. its nothing special by itself. without the great story that the series is famous for, its just another shooter, and not an exceptional one at that.

• Options
    I did not know Banshees could insta-kill you when they aren't even facing you. Me + 2 other squad mates in Multiplayer shooting a Banshee from 3 different sides. I was shooting her in the back, but she was like.. maybe 6-10 "feet" in front of me but I guess that was too close because I suddenly floated THROUGH her to her front side and got stabbed in the back and died.

Is it ALWAYS an instant kill? Because that really is bullshit if it does infinite damage. It should at least leave you with a sliver of life or allow you to use a Medigel.

Unless someone stuns/kills the Banshee before the animation is finished, yes.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I think Mass Effect 3 is the first game I'd play just for the gameplay, but it has multiplayer, so that's what I play when I want to just shoot things

The conversation system is also pretty sweet, divorced entirely from the story it's telling. It also helps that they finally managed to get their Persuade/Intimidate system finally sorted out to accommodate players who don't want to fucking min/max their goddamn dialogue trees

Seriously how did it take them this long to realize that locking shit out because you hadn't been Paragon or Renegade enough was dumb

That bothered me in Mass Effect 1

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Where did we see this story about 1 man's mission to ruin the ending and his will was not to be thwarted?

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Those "PR guy" posts are even less insightful than Casey's vague non-speech. If the guy wrote less and did it as trollish as possible I'd say it was Paul Christoforo level of analysis.

Anyway, the ending dampened my enthusiasm to finish the final chapter of my incomplete two of three legacy Sheps, but that's just coming to terms with writing failure at the crown of yet another of my favorite works (now the trend is making me nervous about Game of Thrones!) and will process out. The portion I saw of my other run already impressed me as to ME3's richness, but I'll finish that once I've mentally put my primary Shepard's story to bed, since Bioware couldn't handle it. Once the post-quake ringing of the ears wears off I'll be able to again enjoy without distraction ME3's frankly amazing 99%, because damn the rest of this game is so good.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Well admittedly I don't know how game development goes, but at my job, when the boss lady comes to me and says "This is how we are going to do it." and I say, "I'm sorry Liz, but that is an incredibly bad idea, and here's why." And she returns with, "I hear your concerns, but this is how we are going to do it." The only thing left for me to say is: OK. And then cross my fingers.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The PA pretty much encapsulated my sentiment on the ending silliness. People need to learn that they are not entitled to change someone else's work.

but but fallout 3.... rpg.... internet rage.... gaming entitlement.... $60....

System overload
    can not compute

he's a troll

this entire discussion has gone in so many circles i don't know why i still post about it

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Well admittedly I don't know how game development goes, but at my job, when the boss lady comes to me and says "This is how we are going to do it." and I say, "I'm sorry Liz, but that is an incredibly bad idea, and here's why." And she returns with, "I hear your concerns, but this is how we are going to do it." The only thing left for me to say is: OK. And then cross my fingers.

That's pretty much it some times.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Where did we see this story about 1 man's mission to ruin the ending and his will was not to be thwarted?

Confused as to what you're asking. Did someone write a fanfiction about Casey Hudson? Or are you wondering about the source of the "Head writer and Casey Hudson wrote the ending without peer review" story?

If the first, then I would like to read that fanfiction, too! If the second...

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Juc wrote: »

That's pretty much it some times.

Don't forget the "Why didn't you tell me this was a bad idea!?" when it blows up.

• Options
    edited March 2012

(End spoilers)

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Using Vanguards on higher levels is dependent on good communication with your team, and getting all your powers lined up in a row.

Charging into a group of Hunters and Pyros without any support? Will probably get you killed.

Charging into a group of Hunters and Pyros immediately after they've been hit with Shield Drain or Overload? You are going to tear some ass.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Because just like Battestar Galactica, this has happened before and it will happen again. You know, the analogies to BSG are pretty apt. It was an incredibly compelling and fascinating series, then right at the end was all "lol god provides and let's throw all their technology into the sun forgetting everything they should have fucking learned the first time around". It reminds me of that a lot in terms of pure "This is just stupid and defeats hours of otherwise excellent writing", especially:
    The destroy ending, which wipes the reapers out and the starchild implies will eventually have a cycle where synthetics rise up and destroy everyone. This is the very "BSG" like ending to me in this way, as BSG ends with "Maybe the synthetics will destroy us again? Wouldn't it have helped to actually preserve your records of what happened and LEARN from it? In ME3 terms, considering that the Geth could be entirely peaceful members of the galaxy depending on your choices - it's immensely disappointing no ending allows any coherent follow up of this concept. That no future game can ever logically or coherently follow up on this concept is an incredible shame.

• Options

(End spoilers)

Oh, THAT one man.

• Options
    all i can think of when people talk about Marauder Shields is setting a theme song about him to the tune of Johnny Grey by Eiffel 65

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Using Vanguards on higher levels is dependent on good communication with your team, and getting all your powers lined up in a row.

Charging into a group of Hunters and Pyros without any support? Will probably get you killed.

Charging into a group of Hunters and Pyros immediately after they've been hit with Shield Drain or Overload? You are going to tear some ass.

Pretty much.

That being said a lot of people hate on Vanguards just because of all the kill-helping they do.

Its like...we can't help being so awesome.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Because just like Battestar Galactica, this has happened before and it will happen again. You know, the analogies to BSG are pretty apt. It was an incredibly compelling and fascinating series, then right at the end was all "lol god provides and let's throw all their technology into the sun forgetting everything they should have fucking learned the first time around". It reminds me of that a lot in terms of pure "This is just stupid and defeats hours of otherwise excellent writing", especially:
    The destroy ending, which wipes the reapers out and the starchild implies will eventually have a cycle where synthetics rise up and destroy everyone. This is the very "BSG" like ending to me in this way, as BSG ends with "Maybe the synthetics will destroy us again? Wouldn't it have helped to actually preserve your records of what happened and LEARN from it? In ME3 terms, considering that the Geth could be entirely peaceful members of the galaxy depending on your choices - it's immensely disappointing no ending allows any coherent follow up of this concept. That no future game can ever logically or coherently follow up on this concept is an incredible shame.

The thing about the BSG ending was that the writers had written themselves into a corner and really had no idea where to go next. A bad ending was almost unavoidable.

But that wasn't the case with ME3. The ending could have easily been genuinely bittersweet, all they had to do was K.I.S.S. Maybe some people would have thought it was too predictable... well so the fuck what? A predictable ending would have miles above the nonsensical weirdness they settled on.

At least maybe Casey has learned the value of peer review in this debacle.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    As it stands I see no no point to ever completing ME3 again, but there's a shitload of alternate results I'd like to experience myself. Hopefully a save editor will come out soon so I can modify things without too much hassle.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Wait...who had to K.I.S.S.

Shepard and Anderson? I mean...Anderson is my bro and all...but...no thanks.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Confused as to what you're asking. Did someone write a fanfiction about Casey Hudson? Or are you wondering about the source of the "Head writer and Casey Hudson wrote the ending without peer review" story?

The second. How do we find out BioWare's internal process for writing the story? Because it just seems unlikely a corporation that big would let one guys vision dictate anything. But if it happened, well, explains things.

Edit: Lets us never forget Marauder Shields.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I just went with the plain jane soldier for multiplayer to start. Took a while to get into the groove. Said groove turned out to be "spec out concussive shot and spam the sommbitch". May as well stick with this and earn some better weapons before trying out something else.

Speaking of which, just what packs should I be buying? I got a few of the 5000 ones and basically got some junk. Then saved up for the 60k one and got a geth shotgun. But that takes so long to earn. Is it just more economical to buy the 20k pack?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Wait...who had to K.I.S.S.

Shepard and Anderson? I mean...Anderson is my bro and all...but...no thanks.

But his voice is sooooo sexy.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »

Pretty much.

That being said a lot of people hate on Vanguards just because of all the kill-helping they do.

Its like...we can't help being so awesome.

Seriously.

Part of the problem is also that people apparently forgot how to play Vanguard between ME2 and ME3. YOu never ever Charge into the middle of the pack - you go for the back of it, kill that guy, get to cover, and reload your Claymore. Fire off a Nova if you have to in order to give yourself time to recharge. Repeat.

One of the guys I always play with is something of a wizard with the Widow, and he makes a bit of a joke about smoking guys as I'm going after them. I've gotten to the point where kill-helping doesn't bother me too much. It's not like it lowers my experience gained.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    All the good weapons come in the 60K boxes.

That being said most of the middle of the line stuff comes in 20K. And while not as good as the 60k stuff you can get some pretty decent weapons.

That being said, it may be in your best interest to invest in some 20k boxes just to get supplies like medigel and rockets.

You get them in 60k boxes but that tends to be more of a time investment.

Especially if you're starting out and playing Bronze games.

But once you get comfortable playing Silver you can usually get enough for a 60k box every two rounds.

Every round if you can do Gold.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

The second. How do we find out BioWare's internal process for writing the story? Because it just seems unlikely a corporation that big would let one guys vision dictate anything. But if it happened, well, explains things.

It apparently happened like that and I can only hope unlike certain themes it won't happen again on something this important.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    On the subject of BSG and ME3's endings:
    Moore and company actually felt the series vindicated their philosophy of continually writing questions without answers and without planning longterm arcs, which always ends up annoying me whenever I think about it. Still, while BSG's ending had all that dumb inexplicable angels and hand of god and blah blah shit, it at least provided satisfying resolution for most characters. Yeah, Starbuck was a tragic waste, but Adama and Roslin's conclusion was moving, as was Baltar's voice cracking when he said he knew a little about farming. It was a show about characters and they delivered that, despite the massive writing failure mucking everything else up (including their best character).

Had ME3 actually shown something relevant to your individual companions rather than wrench it by showing a few get off the Normandy on some random planet because they were traveling for no apparent reason when Shepard 'solved' the crisis after having picked up squadmates from Earth and...man, I can excuse some narrative failure but you gotta give me something to work with in exchange.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    It doesn't even matter that it's super heavy, I just want my damn Claymore back. I'm buying a few more Veteran Packs and then starting to focus on Spectre.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yeah that is a really good point Soundplush. I hated the ending of BSG, but that was because of certain aspects of it and not because it wasn't a proper ending. It's just an ending that I disliked and not one that I feel was inherently bad (even if I disliked it). This is a pretty big difference in context to how I feel about ME3.

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I couldn't handle BSG. Once they stopped running and settled on that shitty planet for no reason I got fed up with the robot space religion and general character stupidity.

Edit: And shit like "oh no we have to network our computers to calcalat ethe jump vector but then theyre gonna hacx our gibbons!!" MAYBE IF YOU TURNED OFF YOUR FUCKING WIRELESS CARD THEY WOULDN'T GET IN

Lemming on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If you need equipment like medigels or the consumable equipment, you're probably better off with an equipment pack. Otherwise you're better off with the recruit packs. You'll get +1 of 4 different equipments. The 20000 credit boxes will get you +3 of 4 different things so your choice is 4 x 4 for 4 x 5000 or 3 x 4 for 1 x 20000.

(although for the consumable equipment that's a bit of a false dichotomy, medigel from a +1 or a +3 is interchangeable, but a pistol rail amp II is better than a I).

Some of the lower tier weapons can be pretty awesome once you get them to an X. Which is going to be much easier than getting a Phaeton or Disciple to X (...which will be far more than 600,000 credits instead of 50,000). But the veteran and spectre packs also seem to give you a better chance of getting the slightly rarer character unlocks like the krogans.

I guess the important thing to note is that credits earned scale based on difficulty. A completed bronze game will get you about 15,000 and a complete silver game will net you about 30,000 (I apparently play at ridiculous times or something and have had to settle for pubs, so haven't tried any gold matches). If you get in a decent team you can usually beat silver or bronze. And that can be about 14-15 minutes for 15,000 credits or 20-25 for 30,000 (or about 11,000 if you fail after wave 6). But then there's more experience as well.

...Also, I don't know what you people are talking about with kill stealing and losing experience. As far as I can tell experience is shared between all 4 players. So you can know who may have contributed more, but you get that experience added to your pool (i.e. if the 4 people have 40k, 20k, 20k and 3k, I'm 99% positive everyone is being given 83k). Otherwise I have no explanation for why my 30-40k games are netting me 125k overall...

President Rex on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote: »
    I couldn't handle BSG. Once they stopped running and settled on that shitty planet for no reason I got fed up with the robot space religion and general character stupidity.

They had a decent reason.

It was a planet. They thought they'd given the Cylons the slip (encouraged by President Baltar), and they could just... end the running. Go back to their normal lives or what's left of it.

Didn't work, but it was a human enough motive.

Also, I liked Battlestar alright all the way through, despite the flaws.

And it's nice that Helo got a happy ending. Poor guy deserved it as much as anyone.

This discussion has been closed.