As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are e-careers.com courses worthwhile?

either,oreither,or Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
There is a groupon deal today that is 92% off of an e-careers web design training package. I don't know an awful lot about these sorts of online courses but web design is something I'd like to learn and getting familiar with some of the programmes/programming seems like a good idea. The discount is huge, but £99 is still a lot of money to me so I'd like to hear some opinions on it before I buy it. Also I am assuming that this won't take too much time. I'm still at university so I was thinking I could do most of this over the summer break and bits here and there afterwards to avoid disrupting all of the work (dissertation etc) I'll be doing next year. Does that sound plausible?

Thank you!

steam_sig.png
3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
either,or on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    As far as training goes, £99 is nothing. If you're interested in getting a start, it might be worth it. If you're looking to show a potential employer your e-careers certificate of completion, it probably isn't.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I always thought e-courses or whatever were the largest waste of time and money. You'd probably learn more form a book and you'd save $40 (probably more, the book will be the entire course usually and not just one class?) doing it. Most of the time it's a freaking power point that goes through bullet points. Maybe I just had bad e-shit though so just take that into consideration.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    That is a very timely comment for someone who just registered today and has one post John.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The best way to learn to build a website is just to do it. You don't need any more tools than what you just used to make a post. It's not like learning car mechanics where you actually need special tools to train with. If you are at university maybe you could make a website for any societies you are involved in.