As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Searching Boot Record from IDE-0...OK

variantvariant Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I popped in an old hard disk(worked fine on dads comp) in to an old computer(worked fine a while back), so I popped it in and booted it and I keep getting

Searching Boot Record from IDE-0...OK

and then it just hangs there...the mbr should be fine as the HD was working just fine 20 mins ago in a different comp...

Any ideas?

Edit: Also... the computer IS picking up the HD properly and all, atleast I think so, its got the model # and space and everything done but its still doing this.

variant on

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Are you trying to boot an OS install from a different machine? It's probably the OS starting up, then freaking out when it sees a whole different set of hardware.

Or are you booting from some other media?

japan on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    yeah the os install is from a diff machine...

So should I try to boot from CD and install again on a new partition and copy over the files and then delete the parition from the old install? or...?

variant on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, you'll need to reinstall the OS. You could stick the drive in another machine to pull the files.

japan on