As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recording bass on ipad garageband

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been recording with garageband a little, and while plugging a guitar (through an irig) works fine, for some reason I get no signal at all out of a bass. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? I've tried googling but the various different versions of garageband make it difficult to find anything relevant.

Tube on

• Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    May be a stupid question, but do you get sound when you plug up to an amp? Are you using the same cord you used with the six string? If not, try switching it out. You may want to try some "aggressive" bass (ie slap bass) to see if it's just not registering the vibration.

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    The frequencies of the Bass and Guitar overlap quite a bit. I'm pretty sure its not possible to design a circuit or piece of software that completely cuts one whilst leaving the other completely intact.

If you are getting no signal whatsoever on bass and the guitar sounds normal, this means the problem either has to be:
    -The wiring/connections in the cable or the bass
    -The volume control on the bass

Anything else would leave at least some small signal coming through. If the guitar has a bunch of active humbuckers, and the bass is a passive single coil it might be quite a bit less, but it should still show up. As Raif Severance said check to make sure its not just quiet compared to the guitar.

handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Red RoverRed Rover Registered User regular
    I agree with the others that this is either a problem with cables or the bass. Is it an active bass? Dead battery?

This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... !