As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Operation: THREAD CLOSED. Post in the New One.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    How do you keep finding all these awful guys, Dhal?

I have no fucking idea. Literally every GWG is like this. Typically the point margin at the end of the game is, at a minimum, +70k to me, but every 3rd run or so its really bad like that one, where I'm 120k+ ahead of everyone.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I have no fucking idea. Literally every GWG is like this. Typically the point margin at the end of the game is, at a minimum, +70k to me, but every 3rd run or so its really bad like that one, where I'm 120k+ ahead of everyone.

You're playing as a Geth Infiltrator using what?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Had quite a few good pub games over the weekend... Also had one silver match on hydra where, I can sadly confirm, the vanguard weirdness is alive and well. I noticed that I was, well, bouncing might be the best term for it. And then I tried to take cover for a second, and found myself hovering a few feet above said cover, and then I flew away. Got a bird's eye view of the map, before realizing there was no way to get out of whatever bug I was in, and just had to quit and hope the group would pick up a new 4th member in my place...

If you're past wave 6-7 its not worth leaving - they're not likely to get someone and you're better off just equipping your missile launcher and helping out on wave 10 if it gets to that.

hah that's what i did on my vorcha sent one match. I think it was condor (outdoor desert satelite dish) in that tunnel I toggled on the blood skill i can't remember the name of right as i died and hit the ground then shot up above the tunnel. So I kept shooting people from up there...Until my attempts to move downward ended with me continually going up and up until I was above the dish and couldn't aim down enough to hit anything in the map. I then tried to heavy melee swim downwards, which seemed to be working little by little. then they got extracted.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

GPS X

• Options
    edited June 2012

GPS X

lol... you'd be awful if you didn't outscore them like that. :P

edit: I mean... if Origin GWG is anything like Xbox GWG, then using that combo is like having an Olympic runner compete in JV track and field. I wouldn't even be surprised if the last place dude was just doing anti-AFK taps by wave 3.

Farming is about maximizing returns while minimizing effort, and given you're going to end up getting the same amount of credits at the end... why even bother?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    People should keep in mind that while you get some spread around for assists and whatnot, scores are kind of a zero point game.

So if you're packing one of the most powerful combinations of class and weapon in the game, maybe fire up some equipment, and go actively looking for all the trouble, you may well find it.

Why does it always have to be "they're all so bad! Just the baddest and not in the good way!"? Can't it just be that you're so awesome that you're also a god damned black hole into which all the points fall?

There are plenty of other, less tangible indicators. How did they help with objectives? The guy snagging mini-hacks isn't going to have nearly the score of people who just pew pew pew'd during the entire objective. Or did 3 of them run off to a location hack objective, while you held down entire waves on your own? Was anyone playing a Salarian Engineer? I find I'm rarely anywhere near the top of the board when I play mine, but keeping entire waves trying to beat on my decoy generally seems to make people pretty happy. Etc.

It's nothing personal. I'm sure most of the time it is that you're playing with bad or lazy or inexperienced players. And with the shrinking community, sometimes you're going to hit patches where it seems nobody has anything better than an Arc Pistol II. I know I've had plenty of games where my score was around 100k-130k and I felt like I carried the other 1-3 over the finish line (extraction or just however far we got), but it's just something that's kind of been gnawing at me for a while now.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    People should keep in mind that while you get some spread around for assists and whatnot, scores are kind of a zero point game.

So if you're packing one of the most powerful combinations of class and weapon in the game, maybe fire up some equipment, and go actively looking for all the trouble, you may well find it.

Why does it always have to be "they're all so bad! Just the baddest and not in the good way!"? Can't it just be that you're so awesome that you're also a god damned black hole into which all the points fall?

There are plenty of other, less tangible indicators. How did they help with objectives? The guy snagging mini-hacks isn't going to have nearly the score of people who just pew pew pew'd during the entire objective. Or did 3 of them run off to a location hack objective, while you held down entire waves on your own? Was anyone playing a Salarian Engineer? I find I'm rarely anywhere near the top of the board when I play mine, but keeping entire waves trying to beat on my decoy generally seems to make people pretty happy. Etc.

It's nothing personal. I'm sure most of the time it is that you're playing with bad or lazy or inexperienced players. And with the shrinking community, sometimes you're going to hit patches where it seems nobody has anything better than an Arc Pistol II. I know I've had plenty of games where my score was around 100k-130k and I felt like I carried the other 1-3 over the finish line (extraction or just however far we got), but it's just something that's kind of been gnawing at me for a while now.

No, I get the hack points usually. Even if there's other infiltrators, they don't bother.

But yes, I have expressed wonderings in this thread recently about whether it really is that they are so bad, or just that a Gethfiltrator with a GPS who roams the map is pretty hard to get any kills from. I mean, for the first 2-3 waves of GWG, I lock down the entire upper console room worth of spawns while everyone else is down chilling in the main console room killing the stuff that comes from the landing pad, and later on when you get 2 Primes + 5-6 other enemies spawning there, I can usually kill them all before they get down the flight of stairs to the main console room.

But that's why I'm curious - whether my luck is just that I happen to run into a lot of bad players, whether GWG attracts bad players, or whether my class/weapon combo is exaggerating the performance gap even further, or whether its a mix of all three.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    And with the shrinking community
    I'm actually pretty damn surprised the MP has lasted as long as it has. For all it's faults, there are still a bunch of people playing the shit out of this.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »

Yea... it irks the hell out of me when I read about how pubbies are awful blah blah blah. Especially when people are using "top tier" equipment and are playing with people who often just barely scrounged up enough credits to buy their first PSP or something. Even more so when it comes to GWG, because that's where a lot of the "have nots" go to build up the credits to get to the point where they'll have the gear. Most of the people there aren't bad players, they just lack the tools to compete on the same level.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Yea... it irks the hell out of me when I read about how pubbies are awful blah blah blah. Especially when people are using "top tier" equipment and are playing with people who often just barely scrounged up enough credits to buy their first PSP or something. Even more so when it comes to GWG, because that's where a lot of the "have nots" go to build up the credits to get to the point where they'll have the gear. Most of the people there aren't bad players, they just lack the tools to compete on the same level.

Of course, there are also a lot of players with N7 levels of 2000+, packing Krysae X, and they still can't survive Wave 1 of Silver.

• Options
    Most of the people there aren't bad players, they just lack the tools to compete on the same level.
    See, I'd agree, but playing other team based games like BF3, World of Tanks, etc. leads me to conclude that you could hand your average pubby an instagib, unlimited ammo laser cannon and they'd still shoot themselves in the foot with it after getting lost in an empty round room. Most people really are that bad and no amount of gear will help them.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I really don't care if people get low points as long as we win(winning being at least getting a successful Wave 10).

But I will bitch when people are just bad...which is more common than you think.

Edit: Also I agree that using admittedly "broken shit" then complaining that your score is 2x higher than the rest of your team is pretty goosey.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I really don't care if people get low points as long as we win(winning being at least getting a successful Wave 10).

But I will bitch when people are just bad...which is more common than you think.

Yeah, a GPS X will not help someone who runs in front of a turret to revive someone else.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    But that's why I'm curious - whether my luck is just that I happen to run into a lot of bad players, whether GWG attracts bad players, or whether my class/weapon combo is exaggerating the performance gap even further, or whether its a mix of all three.

Probably GWG + the class/weapon combo.

Geth Infiltrator + GPS is quite overpowered in the "I thought they were going to nerf it" territory.

Then they released Vorcha Sentinel, the Krysae, the Reegar, Arc Grenades, and Grenade Gear.

• Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    I dunno, I find it hilarious when you can single handedly carry a team to victory in gold.

Typically, you get a higher than average Xbox message rate of "lol, thx for teh carry" kind of messages, and that is always fun.

Been trying out new weapon combinations to make things interesting. Started using the Falcon and Scorpion, with fairly decent results.

Still trying to find a good class to use Arc Pistol / Eagle on, when the Carnifex X is right there. My Pistol Amps are just stockpiling so much.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I will say the main problem I have with people not carrying their own weight (outside of not getting the money) is that I feel like it limits the classes I can play at times.

I'm not really a tryhard person and mostly play for fun, so I will generally use whatever classes suits my fancy at times. However, if I end up having to babysit that might lead to a bad game.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

Of course, there are also a lot of players with N7 levels of 2000+, packing Krysae X, and they still can't survive Wave 1 of Silver.

Yeah. Especially when they're packing an OP class + weapon, but are doing good to break 40K at the end of the fight.

I've carried some pubs on Gold where it's pretty obvious they're new; I cut them some slack. You can't expect too much out of the N7 level 40 Human Adept armed with the Avenger IV.

But when it's the dude with N7 400, with a Geth Infiltrator and a GPS or Krysae?

If you're not vying for top score with that combo, you're doing something wrong.

• Options
    I will say the main problem I have with people not carrying their own weight (outside of not getting the money) is that I feel like it limits the classes I can play at times.

I'm not really a tryhard person and mostly play for fun, so I will generally use whatever classes suits my fancy at times. However, if I end up having to babysit that might lead to a bad game.

Very, very true.

I've found I end up going to Salarian or Geth Infiltrator while pubbing, not because I enjoy it (I do!), but because it gives me a decent chance of being able to carry everyone if they turn out to suck.

I rarely even bother breaking out my Asari Adept these days other than for team dubstep.

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Orca wrote: »

Probably GWG + the class/weapon combo.

Geth Infiltrator + GPS is quite overpowered in the "I thought they were going to nerf it" territory.

Then they released Vorcha Sentinel, the Krysae, the Reegar, Arc Grenades, and Grenade Gear.

My fear is that Claymore will be next. It's the best gun in the game, sure, but it's not that overpowered on non-infiltrators. It's the Geth/Salarian Infiltrators with Proximity Mine that break the game with it.

Achire on
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. The new weapons seem to show they've started the power creep part of the cycle.

Unless they have an appropriate nerf to Hunter Vision, Tactical Cloak, and Bloodlust coming.

If they do end up nerfing cloak, I just hope they make the invisibility part more effective. Nothing like cloaking, running around a corner, and someone who didn't see you STILL managing to shoot you in the face.

• Options
    edited June 2012

Oh, I understand that. And note that nowhere am I saying that you can't bitch about bad players. Even I've posted about bad players that I've encountered because there are players out there that are bad... the cheaters, exploiters, and AFKers and the like. But all the same I'm gonna bitch about what I perceive as a lack of perspective that a lot of us above average players have at times. :P

edit: bleh I see that there's a lot more poasts up now but things are busy now so I can't check them...

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I wonder if the recent cloak failures are just bugs, or if they did this to combat infiltrator objective capping in FBWGG.

One problem with the game is that there's just so many stacking weapon bonuses that you can't really balance weapons. Either they're crap without equipment, AR and/or cloak, or they're good on their own but incredibly overpowered if you stack bonuses.

Achire on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Got a vorcha sentinel this morning, finally a sentinel class I can play and have fun with!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You don't have fun with Krogan Sentinel?

What the hell is wrong with you.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Been playing a lot of the BF3 soldier lately. Every time I 'nade some guy off his feet, some goddamn vorcha runs up and pounces him before I can finish him off.

Goddamn vorchas.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    You don't have fun with Krogan Sentinel?

What the hell is wrong with you.

Don't like krogans in general, too slow, their powers kind of suck for how I play and meele is just a good way of getting killed with how slow and undodgy they are. I prefer to be mobile.

Also Curly and whoever else helped my wife Zaricay get her silver she thanks you for being nice to her and not yelling, this weekend had a lot of dbags, and none of you were them so thank you!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Been playing a lot of the BF3 soldier lately. Every time I 'nade some guy off his feet, some goddamn vorcha runs up and pounces him before I can finish him off.

Goddamn vorchas.

Vorcha and Krogan get bonuses for kills (melee kills for the Krogan). They're incentivized to kill-help. So when playing with them using another class, I usually leave them to finish off enemies for me. I releveled my Turian sentinel this weekend and I'd chain overload groups, pop some bullets into a few of them, toss out another overload and then move on if a Krogan or Vorcha was focusing on them. They are welcome to clean up the rest of the pack while I'm working on the next.

If you're a biotic trying to set off explosions, then that sort of behavior can get really annoying. See also: Infiltrators and Vanguards.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    Vanguards set off biotic explosions.

You should be ecstatic as a biotic any time a Vanguard shows up.

Tech users should feel the same way. Free tech bursts, fire, and cryo explosions all day long.

• Options
    Besides if there was ever a class that would specialize in picking off the wounded in a group, vorchas would be that class.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Achire wrote: »
    I wonder if the recent cloak failures are just bugs, or if they did this to combat infiltrator objective capping in FBWGG.

One problem with the game is that there's just so many stacking weapon bonuses that you can't really balance weapons. Either they're crap without equipment, AR and/or cloak, or they're good on their own but incredibly overpowered if you stack bonuses.

Cloak has always been a hit or miss thing in my experience.

Speaking of infiltrators... still trying to figure this out. A Salarian Infiltrator matched my Asari Vanguard's 100k on Reaper Reactor Gold using a Scorpion a few days ago and I've been trying to replicate the build but with no success.

I thought he was doing fire shots cloak proxy detonate, but that doesn't seem to be efficient, could be my timing though, idk. Anybody use a Scorpion Salarian build?

edit: actually he beat me by 10k... which is why I'm trying to figure it out. :|

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Haha...just had the best Gold match. I was a Salarian Engy and this other guy was a Geth Inf. I think it was about wave 5 but this other dude who had joined(level 12 engy) quit out and the host bugged out for some reason.

So...from Wave 6 to 12 it was basically just me and the other guy. And we did pretty great. I think I only ended up using about 2 missiles and that was during the Wave 10 escort objective and maybe a couple of ammo packs.

Also...we only got a partial extraction but we would have had a full one if I didn't get hit by 3 rockets in the last ten seconds.

The other guy sent me a friend request after that one.

Then I unlocked Quarian Infiltrator.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I'm really curious to see if the allied goal was met since this is the first time we've really had to rely on the RNG. I played maybe a dozen rounds over the weekend and only 2 of them had retrievals in them compared to near-constant retrievals when rebellion first hit.

Next operation goal: unlock an ultra-rare weapon?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Strikor wrote: »
    I'm really curious to see if the allied goal was met since this is the first time we've really had to rely on the RNG. I played maybe a dozen rounds over the weekend and only 2 of them had retrievals in them compared to near-constant retrievals when rebellion first hit.

"Well, team, it seems like we missed our objective of unlocking a single ultra-rare last week. So to train ourselves to be better prepared for the next operation character card drop frequency has been increased by 1000%.

Get at it."

Dragkonias on
  • Options

I had several of them come up, sometimes two retrievals in a row. Personally I think it would be interesting if a goal would be to spend a certain amount of money over a weekend. Or purchase a certain amount of "blank packs" would make for a different kind of grinding.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I'm fucked.

(I've been periodically buying a single PSP lately; to date that hasn't netted me anything except +1 on the shield gear)

• Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    Vanguards set off biotic explosions.

You should be ecstatic as a biotic any time a Vanguard shows up.

Tech users should feel the same way. Free tech bursts, fire, and cryo explosions all day long.

True enough. Those are just two classes (Infiltrator and Vanguard) that people often complain about kill-stealing.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    Which is so dumb...

I'm helping you kill stuff faster...why are you being bitchy about it? Teamwork and all that.

• Options
    Which is so dumb...

I'm helping you kill stuff faster...why are you being bitchy about it? Teamwork and all that.

Vanguards I can see when they block your shot, or rush into a group of enemies and then die forcing people to possibly rescue you, or just let you die and do the rest of the map down a person (not to mention they are the king of making hack objectives last forever and giving you partial extraction for when they charge out with 5 seconds left).

Infiltrators is just madness, they are making the map easier on your team.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Vanguards I can see when they block your shot, or rush into a group of enemies and then die forcing people to possibly rescue you, or just let you die and do the rest of the map down a person (not to mention they are the king of making hack objectives last forever and giving you partial extraction for when they charge out with 5 seconds left).

You see...that's all stuff bad players do. So it doesn't really count.

• Options

You see...that's all stuff bad players do. So it doesn't really count.

Bad players tend to gravitate toward the vanguard class, and the vanguard class tends to have a faster looser style of play. High risk big reward, but when you see it often enough it colors your percption.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.