As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spec Ops: The Line] Good Story, Bro!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Edit, more ending and thematic spoilers:
    I'm pretty sure the reason your squadmates keep following you is that, well, that's what soldiers are supposed to do. Follow orders. There are several scenes where one or both of them question exactly what the fuck it is you're ordering them to do, but in the end their training wins out even when they're following a crazy asshole who winds up killing thousands of people, including civilians, for absolutely no good reason. More meta-commentary on the military shooter genre, I guess. If either one of them had said "no", things would have been better.

Also, because as crazy as you may be (however crazy that is, since there's no way to be totally sure), you are still preferable to the city full of people shooting at them.

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    kal wrote: »
    Did anyone find a way to make the button prompts actually show keyboard buttons instead of the 360 pad? It was a real pain in the ass going through the beginning having to stop every 10 seconds to check which button I should be hitting. I guess it could because I have my controller plugged in but I'll be damned if i'm gonna disconnect it every time for this one game when it should either just recognize it or at least give me a menu setting.

Unplug your USB controller?

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I had the mouse sensitivity issue but was saved by having custom dpi settings on my mouse. Then sometime half way through the mouse settings from the games options kicked in though. Likely bug that'll probably be fixed.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Did anyone find a way to make the button prompts actually show keyboard buttons instead of the 360 pad? It was a real pain in the ass going through the beginning having to stop every 10 seconds to check which button I should be hitting. I guess it could because I have my controller plugged in but I'll be damned if i'm gonna disconnect it every time for this one game when it should either just recognize it or at least give me a menu setting.

If you read his post, that's apparently too much effort.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    A really cool thing, later game spoilers.
    After you start getting crazy and how that affects fighting. I was having a lot of trouble at the yacht with the heavy. Just as I was going to start raging I finally kill the heavy. And the character goes like "Aaargh... FUCKING FINALLY!"

And it was so on the point, that was exactly what I was going to shout!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Just finished this myself. Count me in the 'starts as yet another military manshooter, gets shocking in the middle, and ends with a well-earned holy shit' camp. Mechanically it's a decent and well polished shooter with competent AI, but area design skewed too heavily towards throwing waves of enemies at you rather than doing anything clever. A recurring thought was "How many guys does the 33rd even have?" It was still manageable until late in the game when attacks started coming at you from all sides, and I'm calling bullshit on the
    yacht bit after you're shot down
    because the cover, or lack thereof, made that far too frustrating.

Storywise, it was a brilliant satirical mindfuck. I'm not easily put off by alleged controversy in games - I didn't even blink at "No Russian" - but you are put through some truly ghastly situations that quite easily got under my skin. It really reminded me of Kane & Lynch in tone, if not in style; a long, strange trip into nihilism and despair where your mistakes have real, indelible consequences. Thankfully, Spec Ops is more conclusive in its endings. I had to stop and think about several of the choices, and it trained me to look for options that sometimes weren't there. In particular,
    dealing with the crowd was, I think, the high point of the decisions: an impossibly fucked situation, exacerbated by circumstances and bad calls that couldn't be cleared up in the seconds we had, certainly not with our translator dead. How do you tell someone there were no right calls, but you had to make them? And even if you could, what if they wanted to string you up anyway?

Right up to when I fired into the air I didn't even know there was a way out. I probably deserved to die. Hell, they might all die anyway. But I just couldn't do it. Some tiny part of me was screaming, begging me to cling to some useless shred of humanity, even when there seemed to be no place left for it.

I think gameplay and story could have intersected better. The little details worked amazingly well, from your squad growing visibly (and audibly) more agitated to changes in the main menu. The personalized objectives as your mood changes were also a nice touch. But there's still a notable disconnect and the railroading sometimes crosses the line between intentional and poor design. Namely,
    there really needed to be an in-game means of attempting to leave, even if it ended in failure and you had to continue on anyway. Otherwise, the impact of being told "you could have left at any time" is muted because no, I really couldn't. The white phosphorus scene had a similar problem. It's visceral and gut-wrenching even before you get to the trench, but the exit from the platform only magically appears once you're done launching. It was a tragic, horrible mistake, but once the shock wore off I didn't think much of it afterwards. Even a false choice would've helped. Mind, it worked from a story perspective, explaining where Walker started to really break, it just doesn't get far beyond that.

Long story short, it's not the perfect merger of gameplay and artful storytelling that I was hoping, but it goes much, much further than I was expecting. The characters are dynamic, the setting is unique, the gunplay is good enough to not get in the way, and the story pushes the limits of what game stories are capable of. Wouldn't recommend a full price purchase, but I don't regret buying or playing it. This may not be a fun game by normal standards, but I do think it's an important one.

Nowhere to ruuuuun, nowhere to hiiiiide :whistle:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    But there's still a notable disconnect and the railroading sometimes crosses the line between intentional and poor design. Namely,
    there really needed to be an in-game means of attempting to leave, even if it ended in failure and you had to continue on anyway. Otherwise, the impact of being told "you could have left at any time" is muted because no, I really couldn't. The white phosphorus scene had a similar problem. It's visceral and gut-wrenching even before you get to the trench, but the exit from the platform only magically appears once you're done launching. It was a tragic, horrible mistake, but once the shock wore off I didn't think much of it afterwards. Even a false choice would've helped. Mind, it worked from a story perspective, explaining where Walker started to really break, it just doesn't get far beyond that.

Ending-ish, and thematic spoilers:
    The player does have a choice to leave at any time.

They can stop playing.

I mean, it gets into a heavy-handed, Funny Games style critique of why military shooters are considered entertainment, but that's what I got from the whole "you could have just left" message.

There's also a loading screen message that underscores this, saying something like "killing for revenge is murder, killing for your country is heroism, killing for entertainment is harmless".

I mean, that theme also works on a couple of different levels (I mean, we're talking about a game where Americans intervene in a Middle Eastern nation and makes things worse instead of better) but I think it still works without giving the player character a chance to actually leave.

I do agree that sometimes the illusion of choice the game offers challenges the suspension of disbelief, the white phosphorous mortar scene being the most egregious example.

• Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »
    DrunkMc wrote: »

If you read his post, that's apparently too much effort.

It isn't the effort, it's the fact that a game in 2012 shouldn't need to have that done to actually play with keyboard prompts instead of controller. I mean hell The Walking Dead changes prompts depending on what ever your touching at the time so I don't really think it's asking to much to at the least have a menu option. (or if there was a way outside of disconnecting the controller to do so that I missed. I was at work at the time and couldn't check myself.) I don't really feel like crawling under my desk to disconnect a controller every time I want to play the game. If you want to attribute that to to much effort and not lazy porting then, Ok I guess ya got me.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I had the mouse sensitivity issue but was saved by having custom dpi settings on my mouse. Then sometime half way through the mouse settings from the games options kicked in though. Likely bug that'll probably be fixed.

I'll probably hold off on picking this up until a first patch comes out then. I do love being a headshot machine and having wonky high sensitivity fucks me up pretty bad. :(

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Lawndart wrote: »
    But there's still a notable disconnect and the railroading sometimes crosses the line between intentional and poor design. Namely,

Ending-ish, and thematic spoilers:
    The player does have a choice to leave at any time.

They can stop playing.

I mean, it gets into a heavy-handed, Funny Games style critique of why military shooters are considered entertainment, but that's what I got from the whole "you could have just left" message.

There's also a loading screen message that underscores this, saying something like "killing for revenge is murder, killing for your country is heroism, killing for entertainment is harmless".

I mean, that theme also works on a couple of different levels (I mean, we're talking about a game where Americans intervene in a Middle Eastern nation and makes things worse instead of better) but I think it still works without giving the player character a chance to actually leave.

I do agree that sometimes the illusion of choice the game offers challenges the suspension of disbelief, the white phosphorous mortar scene being the most egregious example.

I can see what you mean,
    I just think that's basically the same trick they pulled in FNV: Lonesome Road; it felt kind of cheap there, and only slightly better here. There has to be a more creative way to poke at the player for continuing, when the only other option - quitting - requires admitting they just wasted their money. To me, that runs the risk of crossing the line between thought provoking and trolling unless it's handled very carefully.

It's more of a nitpick though, and I bring it up only because so much of the game just had me in awe. I'd never heard of this team before, but I was very impressed with the game overall.

Stolls on
  • Options
    Zone_Full_Of_KillingZone_Full_Of_Killing Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say, in case anyone else has this problem, that the demo and full game wouldn't work for me at first because my monitor can't handle the game's default resolution. If you have this problem, like I did, you need to go to the folder in steam for the game, go into binaries and then win32, right-click the game's launch icon, create a shortcut, right-click the new short-cut, in the path box put a space after the " and put -windowed to launch the game in windowed mode. Then take the resolution down to whatever works for you, turn the game off, erase the -windowed from the file path and then relaunch it. Annoying but the game is really sweet on PC so it's worth it.

• Options
    Finished it.
    Really great commentary on shooter gaming and what it means to have choices. Walker won't stop because you won't stop playing!

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    It is absolutely the Funny Games of gaming, only more tastefully done. The loading screens were the most obvious ways of getting at that.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    It is absolutely the Funny Games of gaming, only more tastefully done. The loading screens were the most obvious ways of getting at that.

Yup, the stuff like
    "Feel like a hero yet?"
    and Walker saying
    "wait, we already did this" in the helicopter
    was so awesome! Really gives you the kind of mind f few games are willing to do.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This game is really good. Really really good.

As previous posters have mentioned it makes you think more about the nature of a video game than any game I can think of. That it does so while presenting a fairly-straightforward "war is Hell" narrative is brilliant.

My only complaint is that the controls and combat felt disconnected. One thing Call of Duty does really well is give feedback when you've been hit, or when your shots connect. This, though, I found myself having to second-guess whether I was on target with my shots, or whether I'd been shot.

I mean maybe that's part of its meta-narrative thing, but it came across as a little sloppy rather than intentional. I also wrestled with the controls a bit, the sprint/cover system left me standing up like an idiot a lot of times when I meant to slide into cover. I died a few times to stupid stuff when the game did something other than what I wanted from it.

Despite that I would recommend it highly to anyone. I wanted desperately to keep playing despite my frustration, and that is exactly what the game wanted me to do.
    Storywise, it was a brilliant satirical mindfuck. I'm not easily put off by alleged controversy in games - I didn't even blink at "No Russian" - but you are put through some truly ghastly situations that quite easily got under my skin. It really reminded me of Kane & Lynch in tone, if not in style; a long, strange trip into nihilism and despair where your mistakes have real, indelible consequences. Thankfully, Spec Ops is more conclusive in its endings. I had to stop and think about several of the choices, and it trained me to look for options that sometimes weren't there. In particular,
    dealing with the crowd was, I think, the high point of the decisions: an impossibly fucked situation, exacerbated by circumstances and bad calls that couldn't be cleared up in the seconds we had, certainly not with our translator dead. How do you tell someone there were no right calls, but you had to make them? And even if you could, what if they wanted to string you up anyway?

Right up to when I fired into the air I didn't even know there was a way out. I probably deserved to die. Hell, they might all die anyway. But I just couldn't do it. Some tiny part of me was screaming, begging me to cling to some useless shred of humanity, even when there seemed to be no place left for it.

I had that same reaction to that scene:
    I wasn't thinking it terms of a video game anymore. I wasn't thinking "how do i proceed through this obstacle?", I wasn't thinking "how can I solve this problem?", I was thinking "I can't shoot these people. I can't do it. I can't do it! *panic*" and fired into the air in desperation.

Then they dispersed in terror, and something within me bid me give chase, and over the next ten seconds I went from shaken to fucking bloodthirsty for revenge. I suddenly wished I had mowed them all down with a SAW.

And then I rounded a corner, and some woman in a burkha stepped out and threw a rock at me, and my reflex was to shoot kill shoot kill but I missed as she fled. And I spent entirely too long standing there thinking about what I had just intended to do.

I'm not sure my disbelief has been that thoroughly suspended in any game, ever.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Haven't read spoilers, but from what I've seen, would it be safe to say that this could be the Nier of military shooters? If so, I definitely need to check it out.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    I honestly think the CoD series has some of the worst feedback for shooting people. It always feels like I'm shooting at cardboard cut-outs that fall right over when shot without much impact to be had. This isn't as true in multiplayer, in MP there are sound effects for head shots, numbers come across the screen telling you you did good and stuff like that. But in the campaigns? I've never understood those games being the model for shot feedback.

• Options
    I honestly think the CoD series has some of the worst feedback for shooting people. It always feels like I'm shooting at cardboard cut-outs that fall right over when shot without much impact to be had. This isn't as true in multiplayer, in MP there are sound effects for head shots, numbers come across the screen telling you you did good and stuff like that. But in the campaigns? I've never understood those games being the model for shot feedback.

Well I pretty much just played CoD4 and MW2 multiplayer (besides a single run-through of each SP campaign), so I may be using a poor comparison. Might be a difference between first- and third-person, in a FPS your gun can jar when you're hit and it feels significant, in a third-person game you don't notice it as much.

In Spec Ops I found myself using way too much ammo to take down enemies a lot of the time. I was really trying to ration it once I figured out that ammo was fucking hard to come by, but I still ran totally out a few times and had to backtrack to find more. But since dropped guns seem to depop after a certain amount of time that didn't work very much so I'd just die and try to conserve more ammo on the next try. I'd sometimes empty a 30-round clip trying to down one guy, and that was later on after I'd had some practice with that gun. I never found that sweet spot that felt like I was effective.

Which is a shame, because if I felt like an efficient killing machine by the end of the game that really would have been something. As it was, I mostly felt like I'd barely limped through and didn't deserve the ending.

Maybe that works too. Fuck I can't wrap my head around this game. Gonna replay it and see what it's like on a second go.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    The gameplay is above average, I don't get that criticism. It feels solid.
    I had a bit of a play of the game with a rental copy and it's pretty much bog standard shooter, I wouldn't call it "above average" as it's literally pounding "average" in the dick. To be honest, I kind of think that I want to just watch the story cutscenes condensed down without any of the actual shooting in between (which has simply failed to engage me in any way).

But what this game does with narrative? I really really hope it gets well recognized for it because from what I have seen and been reading the narrative is something special.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    The gameplay is above average, I don't get that criticism. It feels solid.
    I had a bit of a play of the game with a rental copy and it's pretty much bog standard shooter, I wouldn't call it "above average" as it's literally pounding "average" in the dick. To be honest, I kind of think that I want to just watch the story cutscenes condensed down without any of the actual shooting in between (which has simply failed to engage me in any way).

But what this game does with narrative? I really really hope it gets well recognized for it because from what I have seen and been reading the narrative is something special.

Yeah this isn't a "standard shooter with good story cutscenes". The combat is an integral part of the story. Certain parts more than others, but going through the experience of the game is way more important than watching it. The combat isn't bad, but I thought it lacked oomph. Plenty of tense firefights and good setpieces, and there were enough moments where I was enjoying myself to help counterbalance the frustrating bits.

It's a bog standard shooter... at first. It becomes way more than that. You simply have to play it to understand it. It does everything your average shooter does while doing something totally different at the same time.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I thought the shooting was good for a standard third-person action setup, and despite the bleak setting it was even fun at times. There was just way too much of it, especially from a plot perspective.
    You kill probably a few hundred dudes from start to finish, which is enough for a small battalion. With the hardware the enemy was throwing at you, I struggle to believe they were in such dire straits that Konrad went Lord of the Flies, prompting a portion of the battalion to split off in exile. The city looks believably distressed, but with all the choppers, humvees, and strykers, it looked like the 33rd had just gotten there, instead of having been there for months or whatever. You probably kill at least a hundred or so Americans before Walker really starts cracking, so he can't be embellishing too much.

Sometimes it clicked and both gameplay and story worked together, but for the most part I think they needed fewer, smarter action sequences.

Edit:
    I had that same reaction to that scene:
    I wasn't thinking it terms of a video game anymore. I wasn't thinking "how do i proceed through this obstacle?", I wasn't thinking "how can I solve this problem?", I was thinking "I can't shoot these people. I can't do it. I can't do it! *panic*" and fired into the air in desperation.

Then they dispersed in terror, and something within me bid me give chase, and over the next ten seconds I went from shaken to fucking bloodthirsty for revenge. I suddenly wished I had mowed them all down with a SAW.

And then I rounded a corner, and some woman in a burkha stepped out and threw a rock at me, and my reflex was to shoot kill shoot kill but I missed as she fled. And I spent entirely too long standing there thinking about what I had just intended to do.

I'm not sure my disbelief has been that thoroughly suspended in any game, ever.

Yeah, that was expertly done.
    I started freaking out - real, honest, "what the hell do I do here" panic - when the civilians began closing in and doing damage. That bit afterwards with Adams really hit home: "Still think these people are worth saving?" At that point it was so screwed up that saving anybody was beside the point, and even still it felt like a line that, once crossed, couldn't be uncrossed. To a point, your actions thus far could be mitigated by circumstance, horrible and tragic that some of them were. Shooting unarmed civilians, even hostile ones, felt like a true point of no return, a conscious decision to choose the darker, easier path.

More than once in this game, I had to stop and seriously think about what to do. That doesn't happen often, to say the least. For that alone I applaud these guys.

Stolls on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Includes ending spoilers:
    I figure a lot of the soldiers you killed are just in Walker's mind, sort of like all of his conversations with Konrad. He clearly does some fucked things that his squadmates react to, but sorting out what happened and what Walker thought happened is an impossible task. At least, that's the way it seemed in the ending I picked (shoot Konrad).

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    See, for me the game had an average standard third person setup with the gameplay but I felt that it was more fun than a lot of TPS I've played. The guns felt meaty with shotgun being a good example. Its one of the rare shotties in a game that works efficiently at distance too.

That said, I agree with stolls. Action bits tend to drag on sometimes.

• Options
    What made the game play special for me was that it always felt like you were barely scraping by, it was constantly overwhelming to the point where I'd take breaks just to catch my breath.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I won't have a chance to actually listen to this for a few hours, but Gamespot tracked down the lead writer and had a conversation with him. Spoilers, obviously:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/gamespot-gameplay-special-edition-spoilercast-spec-ops-the-line-6386587/

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    this is the game of the year for me so far. brilliant skewering of cod and its brothers. not that I don't enjoy those games but this made me think.

• Options
    Got this as part of the 2k pack. The full game has properly working mouse sensitivity! Huzzah! I shall enjoy shooting mans in the face repeatedly.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    GOTY for me. This was spectacular, from start to finish. It seems the main criticism is the gameplay, but I can't think why - the gameplay is genuinely great, though deceptively average. I can't think of a tighter shooter. Everything else was brilliant.
    While it was an adaptation of heart of darkness, the message is completely different - fairly unique to gaming, I think. Which is cool.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    This game is brilliant. The things it does with story and narrative are just superb, and the gameplay is decent enough.
    I kind of want to see how choices actually affect the game though, and how much was an illussion.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Chiming in after finishing this, it was an enjoyable third person shooter with a really enjoyable setting and story.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    incidentally, if you leave the opening screen on long enough, the american national anthem turns into the guitar shredding like a bat out of hell

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Well. So that was certainly something.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Just bought this for 25€. You guys better not be lying about it's awesomeness!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Got this as part of the 2k pack. The full game has properly working mouse sensitivity! Huzzah! I shall enjoy shooting mans in the face repeatedly.
    I did not enjoy shooting those mans. This is not a fun game in the slightest, this is fucking art and everyone should be forced to play this. GOTY easily and one of the most important games to come out in a long time.
    Having a lot of fun contemplating just how much was real and whatcwas a delusion. Well played Spec Ops, well played.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Klyka wrote: »

It is awesome in the fact that after a while you hate yourself.

Thread title should really be "Feeling like a hero yet?". Sums it up so well.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

It is awesome in the fact that after a while you hate yourself.

Thread title should really bad "Feeling like a hero yet?". Sums it up so well.

Fucking this perfectly describes the Spec Ops experience.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I really really want to play this game. Please Newell put it on even a slight discount for the summer sale!!

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    I really really want to play this game. Please Newell put it on even a slight discount for the summer sale!!

Amazon had it for 50% off for the past two weeks, which bodes well for future discounting. It's also a Steamworks game so wherever you buy it, it activates on Steam.

Steam has it for a whopping 10% off now, so I'm hoping it gets a nice daily/flash deal so I can gift the crap out of it.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Beat the game, got all endings I think.

WTF. This was pretty damn amazing.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    God dammit... this will probably have to be my next game purchase. All the reactions to the end in this thread make me feel like I should play this. Played the demo, and it seemed like a serviceable enough TPS. You guys better not let me down, or else!

Or else I'll be all like "Aw man, you guys let me down."

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.