As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CYOA] Operation Mongoose, Phase 2.5 : Red Alert!

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Critical Failures
aware-test.png

This is a Choose Your Own Adventure game. Anyone may play.

Vote for which one of the 8 candidate passwords you think will give us access to the robotics core. If you guess it right, we'll be able to transplant our machine consciousness into a new body. If not, we'll have to try again (you'll be given a clue in the form of how many letters you got right the first time); but time is not on our side...

With Love and Courage
The Ender on

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Regain!

Glad to see another of these. Hope I can keep up with it. :P

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Nature. It's got a nice split of words with 3 letters in common and those with 4, plus one 5.

• Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    linear

• Options
    runewardruneward Registered User regular
    Tirade! The six developments are all out of control like a tirade.

signature.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Linear

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Reason

• Options
    Majestic GoatMajestic Goat Registered User regular
    Reason.
    Nice to see a new CYOA

• Options
    mongoose1.png

2 votes for Linear & 2 votes for Reason. A coin toss decides that Linear is the choice.

It's the wrong answer.

Vote for which of the 7 remaining passwords you want to attempt.

(In case there is confusion: the letter has to the the right letter in the right position in order for it to be considered a match with the actual password)

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Nothing, huh? Well, that rules out tirade and tailor. I say regain. Three letters means reason, two means retina, none means nature or arsine.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    So, that eliminates Tirade and Tailor.

I'm going to go with Nature, since that puts Retina and Arsine on the next list of possibilities.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Keyword cannot be TIRADE or TAILOR.

RETINA must have at least one character correct. If RETINA is not the correct passkey, it narrows us to two choices in the third round (either REGAIN and REASON if two letters are correct, or ARSINE and NATURE if one letter are correct.) No other available passkey does so. Seems like the best choice.

Edit: Carrot is correct, changing vote to REGAIN.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    ARSINE

Another Ender CYOA? This is gonna be so awesome.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Tiphareth wrote: »

Unless you blow our load 70 turns early and the Americans kill us with their airplanes.

Watching you, Tip.
    Watching.

• Options
    mongoose2.png

2 votes for Regain.

It's no good.

Vote for which of the 6 remaining passwords you want to attempt.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Retina it is, then.

• Options
  • Options
    Retina

• Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    yeah for retina. Dont really need to vote as it's decided but i like to feel useful :P

• Options
    edited May 2012
    mongoose3.png

Retina sweeps the election with a unanimous 4 votes.

Passkey accepted.

Vote for 1 of the BlackFelt Robotics applications to execute.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I don't suppose you could give a bit of information on what each application does?

• Options
    I don't suppose you could give a bit of information on what each application does?

DENIED.

The CPU Transplant is what you need to do in order to not melt. Aside from that: none of the other options will result in something stupid like an automatic loss, and each will be beneficial, but you'll need to poke around on your own to see what the exact functions are.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Hmm. I vote reactor upgrade, because that might fix or delay the plasma problems, and even if it doesn't we have time for the CPU transplant after.

• Options
    CPU transplant. Might as well get it out of the way.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ordnance transfer, then the cryopod, finally swap the CPU to our shiny new murder tank. Pretty sure once we swap the CPU we won't be able to do any thing else from this list, so my vote goes to more dakka then stop us from melting.

see317 on
  • Options
    So, our options are EITHER both cryopod dump and weapons, OR reactor.

I'm thinking reactor will probably be better, long term - I can think of no situation where having less energy would be disadvantageous - and cryopod has the possibility of screwing us (bunch of extra mouths to feed?). So REACTOR.

• Options
    So, our options are EITHER both cryopod dump and weapons, OR reactor.
    I'm thinking reactor will probably be better, long term - I can think of no situation where having less energy would be disadvantageous - and cryopod has the possibility of screwing us (bunch of extra mouths to feed?). So REACTOR.
    We don't know what the Cryopod is, and that makes me want it more.
    Ender said that all of the options would be beneficial, so who knows. Maybe dumping the cryopod will cool us down and give us time to do the reactor and the weapons, maybe it's just a potential drain on future resources. Only one way to know.

Let's find out what's in the box!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KezvwARhBIc

• Options
    Ordinance transfer is my vote.

• Options
    mongoose4.png

Tie between Ordnance Transfer and Reactor Upgrade. A coin toss decides the election in favour of scouring the garage's ammunition stores.

Decisions:

You may vote for another application, or you may vote to spend more time collecting ammunition. If you spend half a minute, you'll get the missile container. If you spend a full minute, you'll get both the missile container and the 'Slamroller' special munitions.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So, Ordinance Transfer got us 2 drums of D-U rounds, as opposed to a possible six shots of special ammo if we devote another full minute to it (which we would sort of have to do, since otherwise we're left sitting around with time unspent.)

Even not knowing how many rounds are in a drum, I think it's probably better if we generalize a bit, rather than expressly focusing on blowing shit up. So, Cryopods. If we're especially lucky, dumping the cryopods will only take half a minute, and then we can snag more ordinance later.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    As much as I'd love more Dakka, my curiosity for the mysterybox is getting the best of me.
    Cryopod dump, please.

[Also, Ender, do you have a way you'd like us to notate our votes? Bold them? Lime them? Turn them into gaudy animated .gifs? I'd imagine having them stand out makes your job a bit easier.]

• Options
    Bold and red would probably work best for the stylesheet I'm using (the 'default' stylesheet, with a white background.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
  • Options
    mongoose5.png

Cryopod dump it is.

You may now choose to simply accept the auxiliary crew pod and vote to use a different application, or you may vote to open the blast doors keeping the staffed parts of the garage sealed-off from the fire. You'll lose the crew pod and kill everyone in the garage, but buy yourself more time.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    EMERGENCY OVERRIDE

3 more minutes? that sounds snazzy. Gives us time to get the upgraded reactor, which I think is more useful for us?
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Tiphareth wrote: »

Unless you blow our load 70 turns early and the Americans kill us with their airplanes.

Watching you, Tip.
    Watching.

:winky:

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well this looks interesting....

EMERGENCY OVERRIDE

I figure the tank is going down anyway, so we may as well take everything we can (for example, the reactor) while we have the chance. Facing an inevitable aircraft carrier assault without being able to keep all the lights on seems like a bad idea :P

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Oh, don't worry about that. I'll make sure we'll face that assault before we've had a chance to build any energy wasting lightbulbs ;)

• Options
    CPU transplant

We've gotten some stuff, time to go. The reactor isn't worth killing people to take.

• Options
    CPU transplant

Let's get this party started.

• Options
    Emergency override
    We'll be able to get that reactor upgrade and smell like barbecue for 1D6+2 turns. I'm not seeing a downside here.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Emergency override

Actually, that loses the crew pod too? We've already spent 1 minute and presumably use another to push the button, so we're looking at a 1 minute total gain?

CPU Transplant

fadingathedges on