As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 06/06/12 - That was too many words, wasn't it?

UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Graphic Violence
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #11 best issue of the series yet, Miles vs the Scorpion.
E3nOZ.jpg
fHhsN.jpg
I7gbB.jpg

Action Comics #10 was pretty interesting, though for some reason Clark is still wearing the T-Shirt costume sometimes. A very interesting issue though.
I3CQS.jpg
3SbxR.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
UltimateInferno on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Animal Man #10, JL Dark get an attitude with the Baker Bunch:
    animalman10a.jpg

animalman10b.jpg

animalman10c.jpg

animalman10d.jpg

Avengers Academy #31, one of the better tie-ins, if not the best, please imagine every line Hercules says as though he's Tommy Wiseau:
    avengersacademy31a.jpg

avengersacademy31b.jpg

avengersacademy31c.jpg

avengersacademy31d.jpg

Mudman #4, Mudman to the rescue!
    mudman4a.jpg

mudman4b.jpg

mudman4c.jpg

And finally Popeye #2, still as enjoyable as the cartoon:
    popeye2a.jpg

popeye2b.jpg

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Ultimate Spiderman has some great art.

Animal Man...not so much.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Dark Avengers #175; Hank Pym works on locating the escaped Thunderbolts, while Luke Cage works on earning the enmity of the local wildlife.
    CBLol.jpg

kcF3d.jpg

Harbinger #1; a superpowered youth and his mentally unsound best friend flee from a mysterious organization, that seems bent on capturing the both of them.
    kNHEp.jpg

The pigeon line just sort of cracked me up.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Dark Avengers really just looks like Thunderbolts #175, just with a new cast of recruits. Which is pretty great, really.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Dark Avengers really just looks like Thunderbolts #175, just with a new cast of recruits. Which is pretty great, really.

The issue didn't impress me or make me curious to see what happens next. Plus the art was pretty "Bleh."

I tried Munch.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    My MotW is this tweet I got from Kelly Sue Deconnick.
    DM me a mailing address? I need to send you a thank you.
    My reply.
    That's not necessary. Besides, I'm moving up to Salem next month and I'm trying to get rid of almost every non-necessity as it is

Thank you though. I appreciate the thought

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    why did she want to thank you?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    For being a ginormous Captain Marvel fanboy. I've been hyping the shit out of the book to my small circle of acquaintances, but what caught her attention is that I took the Previews Short Order Form and prefilled forms for July and August with all of the books Carol will be featured in (CM #1 and Avenging Spider-Man #9 in July, and CM #2-3, AvSM #10 in August) as well as other information in my tumblr posts about preordering—especially that Diamond preorders are due on the 18th of each month. She tweeted this to me after I atreplied to her that I will continue doing this each month for the foreseeable future as soon as Diamond publishes their codes.

Here's my post for August preorders.

Someone else made her a "Carol Corps" preorder form for July that is really swanky (PDF), and that's cool. But as far as this goes, it's like the saying, "If it's dumb but it works, it's not dumb." No one else did one for August (yet).

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Avengers vs. X-Men #5. Tony builds a thing
    phoenixbot_1.png

phoenixbot_2.png

phoenixbot_3.png
    More than meets the eye?

Winter Soldier #6 is so pretty
    winter_soldier.png
    Mostly talk this issue, but the story is really good

Defenders #7. Dark felines everywhere
    defenders_1.png

defenders_2.png

defenders_3.png
    This book just keeps getting better and better

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I can't wait to see Jamie McKelvie on Defenders, but looking at that last image I'm guessing that Doomwar never happened.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Michael Lark: following the Deodato school of 'if in doubt, slap black shadows over everything'.

No, that's not fair. Sorry. In that Winter Soldier scan, only Bucky's covered in black shadow.

Everything else is well lit.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Vermis wrote: »
    Michael Lark: following the Deodato school of 'if in doubt, slap black shadows over everything'.

No, that's not fair. Sorry. In that Winter Soldier scan, only Bucky's covered in black shadow.

Everything else is well lit.

Old KGB spy trick

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I can't wait to see Jamie McKelvie on Defenders, but looking at that last image I'm guessing that Doomwar never happened.
    Wait what

he straight up says "No, I'm not King. Shuri is Princess Regeant."

Doomwar totally happened.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So I was reading about Storm/Black Panther on Wikipedia and I got an interesting idea.

What if when they had a short relationship as teens, Ororo got pregnant and put the child up for adoption, and he got adopted by a family in America? He could be around 15-16, I think. I think a storyline where a kid in New York finds out he's actually the prince of Wakanda could be really cool. In a few years, you could have him become the new Black Panther.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Seems kind of out of character for Storm or BP to not raise the kid themselves, consequences be damned. I'm not sure it would be a "cool" idea, but I could see Marvel doing that story at some point.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Well my thought was that Ororo was around 15-16 at the time, she probably would have thought she and T'Challa weren't ready to raise a child themselves, and she kept it from him because she felt it would be better if he didn't know.

• Options
    Centi I am gonna be honest

BP and Storm's relationship is alright now, but was terrible when it started

and them having a long-lost illegitimate son is not really going to help that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I wasn't really thinking so much in terms of their relationship as much as I think it would make for an interesting new teen character.

• Options
    If the kid turned out to be the 616 version of The Panther from Jeff Parker's Exiles, I'd be down with it.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    centi you should be ashamed of this idea

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    you didn't make a single coming to america reference in it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I mean, seriously now, centi

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    the joke is right there

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's like Bronson Missouri here!

I could see Storm having a kid now, but if anything she would probably have some kid from all the times she was brainwashed to be a villain's wife. Storm would actually be a good mom, I kind of want to see that now.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    2000AD was pretty class this week. Start of the last ever Nikolai Dante story, old school Grant/Ezquerra Durham Red, and the Dredd strip gives us P.J. Maybe meeting the Dark Judges:
    dredd1.jpg

dredd2.jpg

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Wait what

he straight up says "No, I'm not King. Shuri is Princess Regeant."

Doomwar totally happened.

I meant that it doesn't seem that Wakanda has suffered any of the adverse effects of T'Challa rendering all processed vibranium inert.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

It's still pretty bad, really

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Well yeah but it is better than it was when they decided OH YEAH THEY ARE IN LOVE AND ARE GETTING MARRIED FYI GUYS

I no longer get annoyed when they show up together and some writers have done fun things with their marriage

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    the joke is right there

to be fair

I have never seen Coming to America

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Well yeah but it is better than it was when they decided OH YEAH THEY ARE IN LOVE AND ARE GETTING MARRIED FYI GUYS

I no longer get annoyed when they show up together and some writers have done fun things with their marriage

Oh yeah it was really awful

but now it is merely a troubling undertone

• Options
    the joke is right there

to be fair

I have never seen Coming to America

You need to fix that immediately.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Really enjoyed Harbinger #1 and XO Manowar #2. If Valiant keeps up this quality with the future titles, they will be a force to be reckoned with again. I am excited to see how Bloodshot and A&A turn out.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Transformers: Autocracy #11

It's $0.99 and very pretty.

photo3.png

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    daaaamn

i think i'm gonna have to pick up the autocracy trade

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Man you know

there's definitely a place for Wakanda being a cool as hell ... city? See, that's the issue. I'd love to see it explored more.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I agree. I like that the far and away most advanced nation on Earth is landlocked in central Africa. My question is that as I understood the end of Doomwar, Marvel said "Not anymore," and had T'Challa pull a "No more Vibranium" move that undermined their entire economy, civilization, and threatened its continued existence.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Wakanda was definitely still in the crapper during the Black Panther: Man Without Fear series.

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    daaaamn

i think i'm gonna have to pick up the autocracy trade

Autocracy is one of the few digital comics I've actually managed to buy regularly.

It has been most boss.
    Loves me some Metroplex.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    You can post up to three pages from a comic right? Because Lois's speech from the end of Action Comics was so good and it is a crime it wasn't posted.

I am in love with Morrison's Clark Kent. It's everything I'd like him to be.

Ecpecially after reading Secret Origin and seeing just how terrible modern twerpy Clark is.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Avengers Academy is surprisingly good.

I really like how they've written X-23. Some writers have a tendency to forget that even though she's Wolverine's clone, she's been trained to be very logical and analytical. Although I'm not sure about the whole not understanding emotions thing. She was trained in infiltration and had to pretend to be a normal girl in many, if not most, of her missions. She should have a pretty good understanding of how to emulate and manipulate emotions and feelings.
    Although I don't understand how they thought they could hold Shaw without immobilizing him. Even without the books, couldn't he have just clapped his hands a bunch of times and get the kinetic energy that way?