As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    That makes a lot more sense now, thanks.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I just got back from Warhammer World after competing in Heat 1 of the Grand Tournament for Age of Sigmar, it was really fun and I had an incredible time.
    84 players, five games at 2000 points and not one bad opponent, I'm not really a hardcore, tournament style player but everyone I played/met was really nice and I loved every minute.

I took some pics and stuff so I'll do a quick run down of events:

DSCN0498_zpsyqyhlkpi.jpg
    It was pretty busy, by the time we got to WW from the train station it was almost time to get started, so, kinda sleepy but raring to go we got into game 1.

DSCN0485_zpsuinf9jxy.jpg
    DSCN0484_zpshpemy7ti.jpg
    Game 1 was versus Nurgle Rotbringers, Glottkin, lots of Blightkings, an assortment of grotesque heroes. The mission was Blood and Glory, fortunately Beastclaw Raiders are quite good at taking down multi-wound elite units, though a formation forcing -1 to hit for all the Blightkings proved troublesome, and taking down the Glottkin was a hard fought battle. I walked away with a major victory.

For game 2 I was incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to play on the top table, which was being livestreamed on Twitch throughout the day!
    DSCN0493_zpsrvtfzg2v.jpg
    My opponent was a Sylvaneth played who finished up 26th out of 84 in Gift from the Heavens. Unfortunately in our game they made a tactical misstep by putting their key units within range of a first turn charge, letting me sweep across the battlefield more or less as I liked, they later explained he had thought that units placed in reserves would not count as 'deployed' for the purposes of going first, so whilst it was another major victory it was not really representative of their armies abilities.

DSCN0494_zps7vijh8x4.jpg
    Cos that game went so quick Rob from Warhammer TV took the remaining game time to run a demonstration turn for the cameras with me of good ways to avoid Beastclaw Raider tactics, which was really cool!
    I found playing under the cameras surprisingly stressful, kept bumping the terrain around and stuff, but I am delighted that I got the opportunity to do so, and surprised they let me up there!

DSCN0497_zpsxen0ylxt.jpg
    DSCN0495_zps4xmuik2h.jpg
    With two major wins buying me I was now positioned up amongst the top tables, which is really not my natural habitat. My third game was versus a mixed Chaos list which finished 5th overall, this was an awesome, awesome game, at first glance their list looks kinda strange, with few of the expected big hitters, no warp lightning cannons, one of the lesser seen Verminlords, marauder squads, with only a big blob of Stormvermin as obvious threats. As it turns out, however, the Stormvermin serve as dangerous bait, and I overinvested trying to take them out, allowing all sorts of sneaky skaven stuff to pop out of the shadows and slowly pick my monsters to death. A unique, unusual army which plays perfectly to theme, a great game to end the first day on, even with a major loss! (Also the mission was Take and Hold, which with only 11 models in my army was never gonna be a major victory anyway.)

DSCN0516_zpsvqwhqyzr.jpg
    DSCN0517_zpsgmfmiqzd.jpg
    My 4th game on the following morning, after a night of very little sleep, was against a mixed Destruction list (placing 31st of 84) which combined the best part of various destruction factions, forest goblin spiders supported by a cunning rukk of Bonesplitterz with a Maw Krusha as muscle. The mission was Three Places of Power, and it was quite a close game which ultimately boiled down to the turn 2 initiative roll, which granted me a double turn and just enough headway to strike an unrecoverable advantage against his most dangerous units (Though the Maw Krusha becoming befuddled by Mystical ruins in the first turn certainly didn't hurt!)

DSCN0525_zpsulwqnwax.jpg
    DSCN0524_zpssucv1hq8.jpg
    The 5th and final game was versus Sylvaneth (There were a lot of Sylvaneth players about the place), an army which finished 6th. The mission was escalation, which has apparently been FAQd into something quite different to what's in the handbook, so I didn't have much experience with that, things could have gone either way until a unit of Kurnoth Hunters weathered the full force charge of a Frostlord without taking a single wound, and after that it was a downward spiral of things going wrong, resulting in a deserved major loss.

So, with two major losses and three major victories the arcane mathematics of the scoring system put me at 28th out of 84 players, which more than exceeds my expectations, and qualifies more for the finals in October, though I'm not sure if I'll do that or not, we'll see.
    Anyway, I had a blast, everyone was really nice, I forcibly resisted emptying my bank account in the forge world shop and I didn't make a complete fool of myself, I'd call that a success.

Also, as the rules enforce everyone to have a fully painted army there was some stunning work on display, I had half-hoped I might get a look-in at best painted, but with all that was on offer I can hardly begrudge being passed by, there's some pics of models/armies entered into the painting categories below the spoiler:
    DSCN0523_zpslarrjuvy.jpg
    DSCN0522_zps4wb5v67a.jpg
    DSCN0521_zpsi0wvllq3.jpg
    DSCN0520_zpswm9nz6du.jpg
    DSCN0519_zps9obseikn.jpg
    DSCN0518_zpsxmqdhw0q.jpg
    DSCN0515_zpsvrpxghj8.jpg
    DSCN0514_zpszisooe3n.jpg
    DSCN0492_zps7ohdnmbx.jpg
    DSCN0490_zpscfzyxaqk.jpg
    DSCN0487_zpsi9mw0boy.jpg

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    How funny because I caught your game on Warhammer TV and then a bit after as Rob attempted to show what could be done against your kind of Tusk force.

Then I had to head off and didn't catch the end of it.

Also saw that combined Chaos army with the storm vermin and Deciever vermin lord against another Tusk army but it was getting stomped and the commentators had to address thoughts that the Tusk force was far from unbeateable.

That Verninlord seems to hit like a truck.

The whole thing did seem like a heap of fun and I'm glad to see so much support for AoS; seems to gave seen a bump in popularity.

If / when sine Skaven stuff is released I think that might be the point I dive in to this game in a big way.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So hypothetically if the 20 man unit was engaged in melee and the front 10 are in range and the back 10 aren't. I'd have to decide between, for example, allocating wounds to the front to say, have enough die to get out of 3 inch range and exit that combat. Or, allocate to the back to get my 1 in 6 chance of not dying?

If I suffered 10 wounds would I assign them 1 at a time, rolling the d6 each time (hypothetically having one guy tank all 10 with insane luck) or would I have to assign all 10 and then roll? Or? (Am I just way over thinking this?)

Per the rules, technically you pick one guy as the first "lucky" victim and he gets allocated wounds until he's dead. Then you pick another and roll until that one is dead, and so on.
    Please note that you don't do any of this until the entire attacking unit has resolved all of its attacks and you have rolled all your saves* that phase and you allocate damage from the wound pool generated from all attacks simultaneously.

* the Luminark does not grant any kind of save.

Also note that a lot of people will try and cheese this shit and it's the single most infuriating thing, and why I've currently stopped going to play at my LGS. That is, they do the wound sequence wrong. The way they play it is this, in regards to models or units with multiple different weapons. First, you attack with one set of weapons (for example, my Stormfiend's Shock Gauntlets). I roll to hit, roll to wound, then they roll to save the damage. Any unsaved wounds are then allocated to a model in the unit until it dies, and then the remaining wounds are allocated to the next model, and so on. And then you attack with your next set of weapons.

What pisses me off, is that they roll attacks, roll saves, allocate wounds for each weapon in turn. So, I'd attack and resolve everything with my Shock Gauntlets, and then move on to my clubbing blows. So far so good.....but the players either have a house rule or just all have a collective misunderstanding, and after all the wounds from one weapon are allocated for a unit, when I go to make my next set of attacks with a different weapon (the clubbing blows) if anything is out of range, they consider the attack failing....which leads to a "tactic" of allocating wounds to models in the front of the unit, so subsequent attacks from that unit are out of range.

Which is not really a tactic, and is expressly not how the rules are meant to be played, and every time I've brought it up it starts an argument I don't want to have.

Could you try showing them footage from the official GW tourney from this weekend that proves them wrong?

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    That Skaven/Chaos army looks awesome, both in terms of visuals and list itself.
    Also, multiple orc pirate armies? badass.

Man, I miss WHW tournaments.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Whoa, that verminlord is beautiful. Y'know, even more so than verminlords just generally are.

Pretty nice color scheme for a skaven army as well. A cool look.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    How funny because I caught your game on Warhammer TV and then a bit after as Rob attempted to show what could be done against your kind of Tusk force.

Then I had to head off and didn't catch the end of it.

Yeah, we ended up playing out a sort of demo deployment/first turn in which he set up fake-screens of Dryads to bait poor placement of the big hitting monsters, refused flank, essentially, which is a reasonably counter-deployment, though the speed of the Beastclaws makes moving back into position quite fast, but it puts them on the backfoot for sure. Basically so long as you've got some chaff screens and deploy your good stuff a few inches back in the deployment zone you've got a decent chance.

That Verminlord's rend 3 attacks were quite a surprise, they might as well be mortal wounds! But yeah, it's a great looking army, I've always liked that sort of contrasting scheme, makes me want to paint some Slaanesh stuff in a similar fashion maybe, I don't really have any projects cooking at the moment...

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    What is the giant bug thing in your first picture of the best painted? I think it's in a Sigmar army.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I think it's Alarielle's giant beetle.

• Options
    That is Allarielle the Everqueen, from the Sylvaneth faction, she rides around on a giant, magical rhino beetle thing.
    I think I saw a good three or four about the hall (There's another one in the 4th best painted photo too).
    It's an expensive unit but a powerful one, healing abilities, magic options and combat power, plus a really awesome model.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I hope these new Sigmarines mean other factions will also get some new stuff.

• Options
    Still waiting on some Aelves GW, I'll buy all manner of poncy, pointy-eared arseholes (maybe before October so I can take them to the GT finals? Just saying...)

I like the new Stormcast stuff for bringing a bit more variety though, each new release makes me like that faction a little more.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I want to see those Steamhead Duardin rumors amount to something.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2017
    I also seriously hope GW tries to push the other factions a bit more so there's not a massive abundance of Sigmarine stuff like there is Space Marine stuff in 40k. They have the chance while the game is still young.

Well, "young".

edit: listening to this, let's see if there's anything interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou4BymZZX1c

Echo on
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind Skaven being tidied up because their aesthetic is all over the place.

The Eshin stuff or weapon teams or jezzails or new rat ogres.

Honestly if GW released a whole bunch rat ninjas I might have to take out a loan.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    I beat up some Fyreslayers and Tomb Kings over the weekend.
    Birdman Floaty Archers are pretty nice!
    Then I bought a lord of change but I'm gunna try and get a few more units painted before I allow myself to build him.

C4C5YEjUMAAqQLa.jpg
    C4C5jPLUoAABv7C.jpg
    C4C5jPJVUAAWnj7.jpg
    C4C5wAmUYAEfjjd.jpg
    C4C5wAhUEAAnPmO.jpg

• Options
    I played against some Tzeentch acolytes last week actually, those destiny dice are very entertaining, lots of dirty tricks to be played with there, like turning a 2D6 damage hit into 12 wounds and murdering a Hydra immediately.
    It's a fun mechanic that's also very fitting, I dig it.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I can't decide what I'm taking to NOVA this year. I'm in the AoS doubles tournament with @Extreaminatus. Last year I took Ironjawz. I've got 1000pts to work with and I probably already have that in Khorne Bloodbound, Stormcasts, and Flesh-Eaters.

I'm leaning hard on mortal Tzeentch though because new & shiny!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I beat up some Fyreslayers and Tomb Kings over the weekend.
    Birdman Floaty Archers are pretty nice!
    Then I bought a lord of change but I'm gunna try and get a few more units painted before I allow myself to build him.

C4C5YEjUMAAqQLa.jpg
    C4C5jPLUoAABv7C.jpg
    C4C5jPJVUAAWnj7.jpg
    C4C5wAmUYAEfjjd.jpg
    C4C5wAhUEAAnPmO.jpg

Is that the 4x4 mat you're playing on? If so, how so how did the game play?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    It was at one of the GW Tokyo stores, so yeah its one of the 4x4 mats. Very nice in terms of feel, moving minis on it and rolling dice on it. Not a fan of the design tho. Drowns out the miniatures something fiearc.
    I can't decide what I'm taking to NOVA this year. I'm in the AoS doubles tournament with @Extreaminatus. Last year I took Ironjawz. I've got 1000pts to work with and I probably already have that in Khorne Bloodbound, Stormcasts, and Flesh-Eaters.

I'm leaning hard on mortal Tzeentch though because new & shiny!

My friends are just building up their collections, so I've been playing a bunch of Tzeentch at 1k. Let me know if you want any opinions on anything!

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'm having a hard time making 1000 points of skeletons that isn't 60 spearkeletons and Arkhan.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Arkhan is a lot of points for a single model at 1000. But after you pay a 160pts skeleton tax then all of the Death alliance is open to you.

Just throw in a necrosphinx (and like a unit of grave guard) in and be a total shitlord. 980pts.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    They've been posting some stuff about the new version of the Generals handbook:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/07/the-generals-handbook-ii-wip-points-sneak-peek/
    2haa2titgvwp.jpg

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Arkhan is a lot of points for a single model at 1000. But after you pay a 160pts skeleton tax then all of the Death alliance is open to you.

Just throw in a necrosphinx (and like a unit of grave guard) in and be a total shitlord. 980pts.

I know he's a lot of points, but he's the prettiest model I've got.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    This is a little G&T and a little CF, but any of you Warhammer Fantasy players try Total War: Warhammer? Just curious how true it is to WFB since I'm considering the humble bundle.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      AsherAsher Registered User regular
      It's arguably the best Total War game and gives me all the Old World rank and file jollies that Age of Sigmar does not. It's good times.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    • Options
      honoverehonovere Registered User regular
      Okay, the new Stormcast Palladors are rad!
      99120218022_PalladorsVanguard03.jpg

Also Slambo?!
      A remake of model from the 1980s apparently?

• Options
      honovere wrote: »
      Okay, the new Stormcast Palladors are rad!
      99120218022_PalladorsVanguard03.jpg

Also Slambo?!
      A remake of model from the 1980s apparently?

I really like the mount itself; I think it would have better with a different rider either in terms of a Stormcast with much lighter looking armour or another race altogether.

PSN Fleety2009
    • Options
      DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
      Gonna jump in on AoS finally, its picking up steam in my area 3 of the 5 game stores have regular players. Gonna get in on those sexy Sylvaneth. Just not sure how i should proceed after the inital start collecting box, i know i want to have at least 3 treeman once i get up and going, at least 8 Kurnoth hunters , just not sure how to equip them cause if im using the treeman as the hammer, their ranged bow might be the way to go, but their scythe otion seems to have a ton of potential.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
      edited February 2017
      I've subscribed to White Dwarf and I've just ordered the new Stormcast Eternals battle tome.

I've not bought any Warhammer for about 6 years!

They're people I could potentially play with but for now I might just buy one model and learn to paint again.

SharpyVII on
    • Options
      Draeven wrote: »
      Gonna jump in on AoS finally, its picking up steam in my area 3 of the 5 game stores have regular players. Gonna get in on those sexy Sylvaneth. Just not sure how i should proceed after the inital start collecting box, i know i want to have at least 3 treeman once i get up and going, at least 8 Kurnoth hunters , just not sure how to equip them cause if im using the treeman as the hammer, their ranged bow might be the way to go, but their scythe otion seems to have a ton of potential.

Kurnoth Hunters are rumored to be getting a point cost bump in the next edition of the General's Handbook which will be out this year (my guess is summer again). GW folk have admitted they are undercosted, currently. I don't expect anything dramatic though. For example, Stormcast Judicators didn't get a point increase with the new battletome but they did lose their default Battleline (they are now only battleline for 100% Stormcast armies).

@SharpyVII grab this and this. That'll get you some decent background, a hard copy of the rules, a painting guide, a Stormcast Liberator model, the paints to paint it, and a brush for $23 USD.

Or if you have a local GW store just go in and say you want to learn to paint and you're interested in AoS. They'll give you that same model and show you how to paint it right there.

• Options

Kurnoth Hunters are rumored to be getting a point cost bump in the next edition of the General's Handbook which will be out this year (my guess is summer again). GW folk have admitted they are undercosted, currently. I don't expect anything dramatic though. For example, Stormcast Judicators didn't get a point increase with the new battletome but they did lose their default Battleline (they are now only battleline for 100% Stormcast armies).

@SharpyVII grab this and this. That'll get you some decent background, a hard copy of the rules, a painting guide, a Stormcast Liberator model, the paints to paint it, and a brush for $23 USD.

Or if you have a local GW store just go in and say you want to learn to paint and you're interested in AoS. They'll give you that same model and show you how to paint it right there.

Thanks! They're good deals, I'm gonna get those and just practice painting on some basic models. I don't have the funds or time to get a full army but I've been looking at AoS for ages.

• Options
      ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
      SharpyVII wrote: »

Thanks! They're good deals, I'm gonna get those and just practice painting on some basic models. I don't have the funds or time to get a full army but I've been looking at AoS for ages.

Also, if you do get the time or funds to jump into it, this link shows you the cheapest way to get a 1000point army (the current 'baseline army" under current rules) for almost every faction. Some of the armies can be made a bit cheaper here or there, but on the whole it is pretty good (spoiler I helped put some of the skaven stuff together, though he didn't take all of my suggestions for mostly legitimate reasons).

• Options
      @Arch that's awesome thanks!

Even if i can't find anyone to split the starter set with i can still get a 1000 points of stormcast for just over £110 which is so cheap compared to Fantasy!

Seems a much better business model, make it cheap to get a decent army but there expensive models available aswell!

• Options
      LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
      I was looking at AoS after playing Total War: Warhammer, and while I agree the newer prices are great the old models either remain expensive or are now completely unavailable and ebay only :(

• Options
      DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      depeends on what faction your trying to collect. though yes, old models are hard to come by but really the new models are superior in every way.
      gonna ed up with the starter , a Drycha Hammadreth and hopefully at least a box of Hunters, though i could easily swing for tree revenants.

Draeven on
      Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
      VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
      See if you can still find the battleforce box, 6 kurnoths, 10 tree/spite revenants, a treelord and drycha.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
    • Options
      Vahraan wrote: »
      See if you can still find the battleforce box, 6 kurnoths, 10 tree/spite revenants, a treelord and drycha.

The Battleforce: Sylvaneth Darkroot Wargrove? I think nearly all of those Battleforces (i.e. not just Sylvaneth) sold out within a week, online at any rate.

I did walk into my local GW recently and saw they had the Space Wolf one for sale so maybe it that might be your best chance of finding one; hopefully we'll see a bunch of new battleforces come out considering how popular these ones were.

PSN Fleety2009
    • Options
      Some places in the meatspace still have them. For example, 2 weeks ago my local GW still had 2 of the Stormcast ones and I snagged one. Even with the price drop on Liberators it was still an amazing deal. I have also seen others at other stores in my area but I don't recall ever seeing a Sylvaneth one.
      Redcoat-13 wrote:
      hopefully we'll see a bunch of new battleforces come out considering how popular these ones were.

Around Christmas again. That seems to be when they do them.

• Options
      H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
      @Arch This is strictly hypothetical, but how viable would it be to just attach two of those 1,000 point armies that are part of the same 'grand alliance' together for a 2,000 point army?

Also, what's a typical game's point size for AoS? Last time I looked at that for 40K I was seeing people say 2,000-2,500.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
      camo_sig2-400.png
    This discussion has been closed.