As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A pain on my right sight (possibly gallbladder)?

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Starting a few weeks ago I started getting a noticeable pain on my right side, just at the bottom of my rib cage

it only comes once or twice per week, and only stays for maybe 1 or 2 minutes, then goes away. doesn't hurt very much, just annoying

Some WebMD'ing and googling says this is likely a gallbladder issue

I'm trying to schedule a doctors appointment but I suspect with the holiday I will be unlikely to see a doctor this week

Anyone have any experience with gallbladder problems who can comment on the likelihood? I don't know anything else threatening in that part of the body. I'd like to save myself a trip to an urgent care, since all they will tell me is to go get it scanned somewhere else...

Jasconius on

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Where exactly is the pain, around the bottom of the rib cage. Is it surface or below?

Perhaps you should just go to a free clinic(if such is available to you), and get this checked out.

Googling to find out what is up can often just lead to stress.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    it feels behind the rib cage, about 1 inch above the very end of the bottom rib

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I had something a little similar to that. Pain on the right side, in my case when it got worse it would spread up into my back on that side as well. Went in to the doctor anticipating gallbladder issues, had the ultrasounds, everything was fine. Turns out it was some pretty severe acid reflux. The doctor gave me a ten day course of prilosec to calm things down, and instructed me to drop my caffeine intake, eat more slowly, chew more, watch my intake of acids, etc.

I would still get it checked out if it is persistent, but be prepared for it to not be your gallbladder.

• Options
    ahh

Could be similar

I've had issues with acid in the past, but it was located in a different area

maybe this is just new related acid troubles

I don't feel any other ill effect other than 1-2 minutes of discomfort, then gone for days

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i had my gb out this summer.
    it doesn't sound like gb to me, usually the attacks are fucking excruciating, though i only ever had one. though it did bring me to my knees.

is the pain brought on by eating anything in particular?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    not something specific

i got it first after having a red bull, which is one of the things that gives me heartburn

and I've been eating a certain kind of chips and salsa recently which *also* gives me heartburn that I don't normally eat

its just not hurting me in the usual place perhaps

nothing so bad as to "bring me to my knees"

at its worst I would describe it as being poked real hard

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Maybe you've got an ulcer. If you're bleeding in your guts somewhere, it'll make your poo turn black. If that's what it is and they catch it this early, you can probably get away with just taking some pills for a while to make it go away.

• Options
    it'll make your poo turn black

nope

also it feels separate from my stomach or intestines

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Well, the pain you described in the first post is right by where it hurt when I had my ulcer. Whatever it is, don't wait for it to get super bad before you see a doctor.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Does it feel like a cramping sensation?

I had the oddest issue about a year or two ago where every now and then i would start to feel like i had an upset stomach, then later it would turn into a heavy cramping pain that lasted minutes then went away like nothing ever happen. days or a week later the same problem would occur. one night it got so bad because it lasted more then 10 minutes that i drove myself to the urgent care room at the hospitol. They kept me waiting in a room for like 30-40 minutes and i was in constant pain then it just stopped (Naturally a few minutes before the doctor came in). They tested me out and found nothing like stones or such, but they did find that i had a very low potassium level. I had been trying to diet and was avoiding most foods that contained it (like bread ). They gave me a pill, told me to eat more foods with that, and I have not had it since.

I did some research to find that Potassium is important for digestion, so definately dont ignore it. The annoying part is that potassium in vitamins is only like 2-4% of a Daily requirement (Even the potassium suppliments are that low which is just stupid), so you should go looking elsewhere for higher amounts if you are dieting and you dont get enough of it. Things like prune juice etc is like 20%, bananas are only like 6%.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I wouldn't call it cramping per se, but I do have a history of feet cramping re: potassium

My appointment is scheduled for July 12th

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sounds like gallstones, gas, or GERD nonsense. Probably nothing too serious, but wouldn't hurt to talk to a GP/PCP when you get a second (maybe even do a phone consultation to see what he thinks it might be).

Eating a lot of fatty foods lately Jasc? How's your physical fitness level? I used to get them too, but cutting out high fat foods like Pizza and starting to exercise made them go away. Mine was diagnosed as NAFLD, so but if you drink alcohol you might just have straight FLD.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    i rarely drink

I have been eating more fatty foods in the past few months, but really, relative to most people it's pretty mild, and I have almost no fat on my body, my cholesterol is very low, etc, etc

• Options
    Anyone in your family have gallstones?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it cramping per se, but I do have a history of feet cramping re: potassium

My appointment is scheduled for July 12th

hum, i never put the two together but i also use to get charlie horses's in my lower cafe regularly, but havent since that incident when i started specifically trying to boost my potasium level. so you at least might wanna ask your doctor to check your potassium levels.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Yeah cramping in general is low electrolytes (potassium, sodium, etc). Shooting pain on the right flank under the rib cage is usually liver/gallbladder issues.

• Options
    Doctor thinks it could have been a gallstone.

Haven't had a pain in 9 days, so he thinks it may have just passed.

Gonna get a scan on Monday to double check, but with so much time passed and no direct link to eating... could have just been a bad blip on the radar.

• Options
    Awesome glad to hear, sounds about right too.