As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Breath of Fire 3 - How to condense a JRPG!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Makes me glad to see people excited for this thread. I'm going to space out updates by two or three days minimum to make sure Photobucket doesn't drop a load from overuse.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Why not just imgur them? =o

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Episode 2
    embed.png (Cedar Woods)
    bof30201.png

bof30202.jpg
    bof30203.jpg

bof30204.jpg
    rei.png Darn it! I don't get many chances like that any more!

bof30205.jpg
    rei.png Oh, brother... this is just what I needed.

bof30206.jpg
    rei.png That'll teach you to scare off my dinner!
    rei.png You too!

bof30207.jpg
    rei.png You're lucky those currs didn't chew you to pieces...

bof30208.jpg
    rei.png I don't have enough food to feed you anyway... Even if I did take you home...
    ryufound.png ...m...mommy...?
    rei.png All right, all right already... Uncle Rei'll take you home... You better appreciate this...

embed.png (These Little Things)
    bof30209.jpg
    reicarry.png I wonder... What were you doing out there by yourself, hm? And without a strip of clothing?

bof30210.jpg
    bof30211.jpg
    teepo.png I'm hungry...
    teepo.pngemotestar.png He's home!

bof30212.jpg
    reicarry.png Boy, you'll eat anything, won't you, Teepo?
    teepo.png Who is that, anyway?
    reicarry.png Don't ask me... Let's get him into your bed, OK?

embed.png (Healing)
    bof30213.jpg
    teepo.png So who is he?
    rei.png I told you-- I don't know--I found him in the woods
    teepo.png Really...? Sounds like what happened with me...
    rei.png An orphan... Not surprising--It's been a lean year...

bof30214.jpg
    rei.png Well, why don't we let him sleep while we go to the village... If we don't get some food soon...
    teepo.png Somebody abandoned him ...just like me...

bof30215.jpg
    And so Roo is left to his dreaming...

bof30216.jpg
    vegetapoint.png You're the same as me--You must understand...
    vegetadismiss.png They're weak! Pitiful and pathetic...

bof30217.jpg
    bof30218.jpg
    myria.png My... Roo

Roo...

ryusleep.png Mmm... Mmmmmm...
    embed.png (These Little Things)
    bof30219.jpg
    ryupjs.png(Huh? Where am I?)

bof30220.jpg
    We find a Vitamin and a Worm in the house.

bof30221.jpg
    Just a note: I have no idea why this area gets a red label, which typically denotes important things. Because it's not special at all.

bof30222.jpg
    goblin-1.png Even though I look like this, I know a thing or two about camps... Come back later with your friends and I'll tell you everything I know, OK?

bof30223.jpg
    There's also some Ammonia in the trees to the back.

bof30224.jpg
    eyegoo-1.png Oh! Don't be afraid! I won't hurt you! I'm an 'Eye Goo' I'll tell you all about how to fight... Come back when you've got some equipment...

bof30225.jpg
    woodsman.png Couple of bullies, named Rei and Teepo, live around these parts.

embed.png (Cedar Woods)
    bof30226.jpg
    bunyanchop.png Wander around like that, you're liable to get eaten up by dogs or somethin'.

bof30227.jpg
    durandal.png There's an old man named Bunyan who lives here in the woods... He's kind of strange-- why else would he want to live by himself in the woods like that?
    forestgirl.png We haven't been able to find much to eat in the forest either. What are we going to do?

embed.png (Casually)
    bof30228.jpg
    bof30229.jpg
    The world map at last! There's no two ways about it, it's pretty danged neat. It gives approximate designs of all towns and dungeons and such from this view. But onward to town.

embed.png (Country Living)
    bof30230.jpg
    ryupjs.pngemotesurprise.png
    angrylady.png Out of my house, you punks!

bof30231.jpg
    teepo.png It's no use, Rei. Everyone's watching out for us...
    rei.png Nobody's got much food, what with the poor harvest and all...

bof30232.jpg
    teepo.png Hey! You finally woke up, huh?
    rei.png Doesn't this beat all! Now we've got another mouth to feed...
    teepo.png What if we get him to help us, Rei?
    rei.png Good idea... But I think we need to get him out of his pajamas first.
    teepo.png C'mon! We'll get you fixed up with some equipment!

bof30233.jpg
    rei.png We may not have been able to steal any food... But I think we can scrounge up some armor and weapons.
    -- door click, and he's in...--
    teepo.png You just wait, Roo. Rei'll get you set up with something in no time!
    ryupjs.pngemotenervous.png
    teepo.png Huh??...Did I just say Roo? ......Is that your name?
    ryupjs.pngemoteteardrop.png
    teepo.png Funny...how did I know that? Maybe I dreamed it...?

bof30234.jpg
    rei.png Uh-oh! Scram!!

embed.png (The Farm)
    bof30235.jpg
    rei.png Sure was... But we were able to get him something to wear
    teepo.png Hurry up, Roo. Don't be a slowpoke!

bof30236.jpg
    rei.png Well, it's better than pajamas, I suppose...
    teepo.png What do we do now, Rei?
    rei.png Well... Everyone in town's in a bad mood over the poor harvest... I know! Let's hit the road! We can do some work there!
    teepo.png There's a road up ahead called the Yraall Road... We go there sometimes and, well, mug people.
    ryu.pngemoteteardrop.png
    rei.png It's not like we hurt people or anything... Just steal from 'em... I'm not into hurting people, you know...
    teepo.png That's right! Even a beginner like you can do it! C'mon, don't worry... Let's go!

bof30237.jpg
    scytheworker.png It comes down and steals our cattle... Between that and the bad harvest, we might not be able to make it through winter...

bof30238.jpg
    bof30239.jpg
    teepo.pngWell, you've got the right idea... only... try people...

bof30240.jpg
    embed.png "Keep it up...You never know what you can learn talking to people and things you meet..." ...at least, that's what you think it's saying...

bof30241.jpg
    scytheworker.png Man o' man... If I had all this... Just about all of it belongs to Mayor McNeil...
    farmwomanwork.png Whew! I'm beat! Beat I tell ya!

bof30242.jpg
    loki.png Isn't there some way I can take it easy and still get what I want...?

embed.png (Casually)
    bof30243.jpg
    Next stop, Yraall Road! Oh, most places in the game you can just walk over in the world map once you've passed through once completely. Like the farm road and McNeil now.

bof30244.jpg
    teepo.png This road goes all the way to Wyndia... Someday, we're gonna blow this place and head out to a big city like Wyndia... right, Rei?
    rei.png Well... instead of worrying about that, let's think about getting something to eat today, OK? We should go hide and wait for someone to come by... Behind that tree up there looks good to me...

bof30245.jpg
    bof30246.jpg
    You can cut bushes with Ryu's Roo's sword. Sometimes you'll find zeny. Speaking of, the bag had 40z.
    rei.png All right, let's wait here... When someone comes by, we jump out...

bof30247.jpg
    teepo.png What's up, Roo? Don't get all soft on us now...
    rei.png Don't worry... We're just some poor kids trying to get some food... Whoever it is will forgive us...right?

embed.png (Panic)
    bof30248.jpg
    rei.png He's alone... OK, Roo, show us what you're made of...Go get him!

bof30249.jpg
    bof30250.jpg
    bof30251.jpg
    bunyankneel.png What are you trying to do, little one? Mug me, hmm? We've got enough trouble around here already with those rascals Teepo and Rei...

bof30252.jpg
    bunyankneel.png If you run into them tell them that if I catch them... they'll be sorry!

embed.png (Casually)
    bof30253.jpg
    teepo.png Who does he think he is, anyway?

bof30254.jpg
    rei.png Hey...wait a minute! If old man Bunyan's out here, that means there's no one at his house, right?
    teepo.png You're right! Let's go and grab some of his food! That'll show 'im!

embed.png (Fight!)
    bof30255.jpg
    rei.pngOkay Roo, your training starts now! Goblins aren't any problem at all, this won't be hard.
    teepo.pngThat's right! Just swing your sword and let 'im have it!

bof30256.jpg
    teepo.pngHey, Rei?
    rei.pngYeah Teepo?
    teepo.pngThis is going to take a while, isn't it?

• Options
    Why not just imgur them? =o

Imgur's policies limit how many images you can have from what I remember. And I don't know how easy the interface / organizing files is. I'm working with a devil I know to test it out.

That said, HOORAY a new episode you guys! Enjoy it!

• Options
    Not only does Delzhand win for being the first to post supporting content but he posts something fucking rad. Holy crap!

On an editor's note, I'm gonna have to change the emote sprites... Gotta add some blank space beneath them so that they actually appear properly. >.>

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'll just drop this here!

Awesome video

Holy, ballsacks. That was really well done. I wish there was more.

Edit - Awesome work, Henroid. "Doesn't this beat all!" I went looking for Rei attack sprites to make an animated avatar but couldn't find any. I found ones for Garr though.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Awe.... Shoulda gifed Roo walking his new armor.

Clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I love this game. I actually bought it, played most of the way through it... got distracted by another game. Ended up trading it in, then buying it back again later and playing to completion.

I think BoF3 was the height of the series. It had everything. Great style, music, fun combat, interesting characters, compelling story, etc. IV was good too, but I disliked the Dragon transformation system. It's departure from the perfect system they had in III was unnecessary.

It's a shame that Capcom abandoned this franchise like they did many of their other more interesting IP's. I would like to say that I would kill for another sequel, but I don't have any faith in Capcom anymore. I'd rather they just left it to nostalgia at this point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    EPISODE 15-47: THE DESERT OF FUCK

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wow, somehow missed this thread. Love Breath of Fire since back in the SNES days of the original and Breath of Fire 3 was awesome (if not really long). Really glad I imported in for the PSP. This actually reminds me that I still haven't finished 4. Should probably dig the disc out and finish it one of these days.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

ENDLESS 8

• Options
    Endless 8 is at least entertaining when you think of it from a production standpoint. Purposeful trolling!

• Options
    Endless 8 is at least entertaining when you think of it from a production standpoint. Purposeful trolling!

What, you don't think I'm going to pull that shit when the time comes? :P

Actually, I intend to show the shortcut through the desert.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    So did or did not this game get a Euro PSP release? And if I make a Euro PSN account can I buy it and have it work on my US PSP?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    harvest wrote: »
    So did or did not this game get a Euro PSP release? And if I make a Euro PSN account can I buy it and have it work on my US PSP?

Yes, but no PSN release.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    It got a physical release in Europe because SCEE doesn't care if a port has any new content.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Whelp.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I actually imported the Euro PSP version for some reason. I guess I like this game and the PSP's early library was awful.

Region-free though, so if you're really jonesing for some PSP BoF, you can probably find a used copy on ebay or something and it will work no problem with any PSP.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I actually imported the Euro PSP version for some reason. I guess I like this game and the PSP's early library was awful.

Breath of Fire 3 and Tales of Eternia were pretty much the 2 big PSP imports for me.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    It actually just lends credence to my view of the PSP; the only things I want for it are ports and remakes, literally. No original content. Well, except Ys 7. Okay but anyhow.

I'm debating if I should try to conserve level gains for Ryu Roo and Teepo at the start so I can have some wiggle room for master stat gains. I forget how you trigger Bunyan being a master (spoilers! whatever it's the start of the game). I've read that you can do it after beating the first boss but I've never had it work that way. Then I just recently read you can do it after visiting a specific place for the first time.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Where did the dragon go?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Where did the dragon go?
    Roo is the dragon! :3

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Where did the dragon go?
    Mugged Roo and ran off with his clothes.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Who do I believe?
    Henroid what happens in the transition from dragon falling off to kid waking up? Is it just a fade to black or something after the dragon falls off, then it switches straight to Rei?
    My mock surprise was meant to hint that it was a sudden switch. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Who do I believe?
    Henroid what happens in the transition from dragon falling off to kid waking up? Is it just a fade to black or something after the dragon falls off, then it switches straight to Rei?
    Yeah screen grabs don't capture this kind of transition well. I thought the broken cage when the currs were sniffing Roo would be enough of a hint. :P

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Who do I believe?
    Yeah screen grabs don't capture this kind of transition well. I thought the broken cage when the currs were sniffing Roo would be enough of a hint. :P
    Oh shiiiiii

I didn't see the cage the first time I looked at that picture!

I'm going over to my corner now.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Who do I believe?
    Oh shiiiiii

I didn't see the cage the first time I looked at that picture!

I'm going over to my corner now.

Well, don't that just beat all...

I couldn't find a Rei fighter stance gif so I settled. :/

Edit- How cruel, I found a fan art one but not a legit one.

ReiTranSlash.gif

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

Damn it I wanted to make this joke! Okay, my only consolation is the suggestion that one Episode should be the same screenshot posted thirty times as an accurate portrayal of my memory of the desert section.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Gyral wrote: »

Damn it I wanted to make this joke! Okay, my only consolation is the suggestion that one Episode should be the same screenshot posted thirty times as an accurate portrayal of my memory of the desert section.

GREAT. Back to the drawing board.

• Options
    It's okay I probably wont see the desert.

• Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Yes, but no PSN release.

Actually, it is available on the euro PSN for 10 euros.

bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    It's okay I probably wont see the desert.

But I see what you did there.

• Options
    nefyave wrote: »

Yes, but no PSN release.

Wow, I guess you're right.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Yes, but no PSN release.

Wait, what? Why only Euro PSN??? WHAT THE FUCK SONY?!

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular

What, you don't think I'm going to pull that shit when the time comes? :P

Actually, I intend to show the shortcut through the desert.

THERE'S A SHORTCUT?!?!?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Yeah, IIRC you can always just follow a single star or something (but there is a false star that's similar that can fuck you up)

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Fuck. Well at least I found some cool stuff while getting lost there.

I put this and Suikoden 2 over FF7 as my favorite RPG. Charming 2D, lovable characters, and I like the fighting/learning system.
    Oh yeah, loved the fishing here. Fuck yeah fishing!

• Options

Yes, but no PSN release.

Wait, what? Why only Euro PSN??? WHAT THE FUCK SONY?!

Well, it's a PSP release not the PS1 Classic release. And the PSP version was never released in NA.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Bleh, either way. Capcom needs to realize they're slowly going in the shitter and bring back BoF. Even if it's just a re-release on XBL/PSN.