As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voltage converter for Nintendo DS?

Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got a USA nintendo DS with a USG-002 (USA/Japan) A/C adapter. If I wanted to charge my DS in 220V European countries, is it good enough to get a voltage converter (220V > 110V), or do I need to figure out some way to convert 50Hz to 60Hz as well?

Marty81 on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You just need a voltage converter, because the DS has its own screen, no refresh rate conversion necessary. Also, fun fact, DS' are region free, so you can play games from europe on it too.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The voltage converter will be enough. But keep in mind that you're always taking some risk with voltage conversion. You tend to get what you pay for, and the good ones tend to weigh quite a bit.

I would recommend buying another power adapter in the country you're visiting. The DS's are all the same, it's just the cord and the "brick" that change. They're not very expensive and much lighter and more reliable then any voltage converter.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    because the DS has its own screen, no refresh rate conversion necessary.

Dear god tell me youre joking.

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would recommend buying another power adapter in the country you're visiting. The DS's are all the same, it's just the cord and the "brick" that change. They're not very expensive and much lighter and more reliable then any voltage converter.

Cool. So I take it the actual DS batteries are all the same, then? I.e. If I get a European A/C converter, then I don't need to buy a new European DS battery - correct/incorrect?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I've got a USA nintendo DS with a USG-002 (USA/Japan) A/C adapter. If I wanted to charge my DS in 220V European countries, is it good enough to get a voltage converter (220V > 110V), or do I need to figure out some way to convert 50Hz to 60Hz as well?

I had this problem (US DS in Aus) and honestly, its just easier to charge from USB. You can do that anywhere, and you don't need to be carrying around a half-ton of electronics. You can buy the cords pretty easily online.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had a NA DS in the UK and didn't even need a Voltage converter. The plug that it came with supported 110V and 220V, so all I needed was a US->UK plug adapter.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    because the DS has its own screen, no refresh rate conversion necessary.

Dear god tell me youre joking.
    Uhh, yes, I was.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't get this refresh rate joke. I know what a refresh rate is.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes, the battery is the same. The "brick" on the end of the cord does all the work. The USB charger is a great idea, I just might have to get one of those.

The North American adapter that I have only works with 110, so check to see if yours is like Saint2e's. Maybe they started selling better power adapters, check where it says Input on the "brick". If it says 220-110 you just need plug adapters and you can go anywhere.

I really like the USB charger idea though.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rohaq on