As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do with ground beef

admanbadmanb unionize your workplaceSeattle, WARegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello helpers,

I am an infrequent beef eater and haven't cooked it for ages. My dad has given me fat stacks of ground beef and I don't know what to do with it. ADVISE ME.

Things I am already thinking of:

Meaty marinara sauce.
Burgers.
<your deliciousness goes here>

admanb on

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Meatballs
    Beef tacos
    meatloaf

Go to gojee.com, add "ground beef" as an ingredient and browse around at the recipe suggestions.

• Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Hamburger helper comes to mind, but it does pretty well by itself.

Meatloaf, swedish style meatballs, brown it up with some red sauce over pasta.
    There is also hot dish, which is essentially a caserole with a bunch of other stuff in it.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Hamburger Helper!

Meatloaf!

Casserole!

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I think making tacos would be up your alley. You don't have to use a lot of meat, and it's a fun meal if you have guests or a sig other. Everyone puts their own together, so you can make up a taco station and do creative things with it.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Chipped beef?

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    You can make types of Spanish rice with ground beef in them. Really easy, really cheap, really good.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    stroganoff!

which is meat, brown gravy, and sour cream in it's most basic form. toss in some mushrooms and it's even better.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    stroganoff!
    which is meat, brown gravy, and sour cream in it's most basic form. toss in some mushrooms and it's even better.

I was going to suggest the same thing.
    For my slacker's stroganoff I brown the meat with seasoning salt, some garlic powder, maybe some dried onions flakes (or whatever I've got on hand along these lines) (drain it if you're using anything less then 90% lean). Toss in a couple of small cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup (varies depending on how much beef you're cooking) and let it simmer until hungry (I suggest around an hour over low heat). Shortly before you eat, toss in a glob of sour cream and stir it in, then serve it over rice or egg noodles, or toast, or whatever other stuff you have on hand. It's easy to make, hard to screw up, and pretty tasty.

Taco meat is another good use. In order to save yourself from the Ronnie dilemma, use the leftover meats in quesadillas. Toss a tortilla in a skillet, sprinkle it with cheese, taco meat, salsa, whatever other Mexican foodstuffs you have left, then another layer of cheese. Once the cheese starts melting toss another tortilla over the top and press it down. Flip that thing over so the other side can toast. Cut it into slices like a pizza and devour that delicious thing. And the left over tortillas can be used for a lot of other things, unlike taco shells which are pretty much one trick ponies.

Also, chili. I'm not a fan myself, but then, most chili out here has beans in it and I don't much care for anything with beans. But it might be your thing.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Strogg is made with diced, not ground.

Other things listed that you could do are sausage rolls, sheperd's pie, chilli and sphagetti.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You can also do some tortellini as well.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Taco Salad (can be any flavoring, I actually enjoy asian style)
    Burgers
    Chili

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    If you're at all concerned about sodium, Hamburger Helper is not for you. :P That stuff is loaded like you wouldn't believe.

If you have a slow cooker, I recommend experimenting with various chili and pastas. You can actually cook the noodles in the slow cooker if you make sure there will be too much liquid when it's near done and put in the noodles with about 30 min left.

What I've done is diced onion, bell pepper and mushrooms (I sometimes add broccoli as well, but that's probably not going to appeal to many), sodium free tomato sauce (Hunt's has a great one), sodium free diced tomatoes (Big can) and then lots of pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning. If you like it spicy add cayenne. Vinegar will help give it an edge that food loses when you take the salt out. If you put in a lot of vegetables, there will be plenty of water left for cooking some of your favorite pasta to go with it.

Oh, and of course, the beef. Cook the beef first, then add it at the start when you're mixing everything else together. Make sure to drain off the fat before you add it to the slow cooker.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Stuffed cabbage ("Holishkes") is always good, although the Russians have a really easy variant called "lenivye golubtsy." Also good are dolma and kufta. Chelow kabab and Adana kebabı sound tasty, as does nargisi kofta./scotch egg.

If you're really feeling lazy, there are endless variations of tartare.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Stuffed Peppers. Spaghetti. Rice, kidney beans, burger, and green beans with canned crushed tomatoes over the top, seasoned to your preference. Meatloaf (find a recipe you like, you can really go in a lot of directions with it).

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    Dumplings or potstickers.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Keemar Mattar.

Edit: That recipe's a lot more complicated than mine. Fry some onions and garlic, add the mince and brown, add what you like in a curry (experiment or just use a store-bought sauce or paste), then add some peas and simmer until it looks OK.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    al
    Atheraal wrote: »

alternatively tomale pie

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    technically if it's beef it's a Cottage Pie, unless there's some really unconventional shepherds out there. Either way fuck yes.

Also Keema if you're into curry type things. (EDIT: oops, sorry, I didn't see that get recommended above too. Consider my opinion a seconding of that.)

dukederek on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    For really delicious meatballs and/or meatloaf mix the ground beef with 1/3 ground pork. The end result is less dry and just has an over all better texture.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Boil up some rotini, and heat up some pasta sauce with some cooked ground beef. Add it to the rotini, along with a bunch of shredded mozzeralla, feta, pesto, chopped green pepper, mushrooms, and any other spices of your choosing, and mix well. Place mixture in a casserole dish, and sprinkle a bunch of shredded mozzarella on it, enough to thinly cover it. Cook in oven at 350 covered with tin foil for 20 minutes, then tent the foil and cook for another 5 minutes.

Tada, a very delicious meal. Also makes good leftovers.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »

Potato Chops are amazing.

I grew up on these, make them.

• Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    I recommend Martin Burgers.

imgur.com/jwEjg

• Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    One of the easiest thing's I've found to do with Ground Beef (Outside of burgers) is just brown it up, cook some rice, take a big can of sliced tomatoes and mix it all together. It's super simple, dirt cheap tastes really good, and will reheats well.

• Options
    BaconParabellumBaconParabellum Registered User regular
    Hamburger gravy with mashed potatoes!

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    2 boxes of Mac & Cheese
    1lb of Ground Beef
    Can of Rotel Tomatoes (spicy!)
    Jalapenos

It's real good and plenty of leftovers depending on how many you're cooking for.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    2 boxes of Mac & Cheese
    1lb of Ground Beef
    Jalapenos

It's real good and plenty of leftovers depending on how many you're cooking for.

ohmygod that sounds so good right now i hate you.

I've got ground beef in my fridge! tomorrow we're gonna be having what i call 'deconstructed burgers' i'm making burger patties, putting them on a plate, and putting the toppings on the side as a salad.

I'm on a low carb/no carb thing.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    It's soo bad for you, but soo tasty.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    2 boxes of Mac & Cheese
    1lb of Ground Beef
    Jalapenos

There have been a lot of good suggestions in this thread but this is the first one that made me go, "oh god I have to have that"

and for that I hate you