As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Maniac gunman in Colorado] decides that he is entitled to ruin lives & plant bombs

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Yup. You can't even go to watch a fucking Batman movie these days, I guess.

I saw that the role call thread was unstickied; I'm hoping that means everyone here is okay. Unfortunately, 70 other people are not (12 dead, 58 injured - at least 2 injured very badly).

James Eagan Holmes walked into a midnight screening of Batman, decked-out in full body armour & carrying an AR-15 (you'll probably know it by it's common military name, the M-16), a Glock (with a second one apparently in his car) and a shotgun. A few patrons were dressed in costumes, so Holmes didn't cause an immediate panic. He planted explosives all over his apartment before embarking on his rampage, so the police have had to evacuate the entire residential compound (here's to hoping that none of these Goddamn things go off and wreck someone's home).

Some early reporting also suggests that he took a large dose of Vicodin before the shooting, though this hasn't been confirmed yet, I don't think? (if it is confirmed, I imagine it was an extra means of preparation for a gun battle with the police. In any case, Holmes had something of a change of heart after his initial shooting spree, surrendering to police while lying next to his car after they arrived).

...If people in the real world were mostly decent & rational individuals, I wouldn't have a problem with them owning assault rifles and / or multiple pistols and / or purchasing thousands of rounds of ammunition over two months for unknown purposes. But people mostly aren't, so I do have a problem with it.

Anyway, I'll update this OP with more information as it comes forward. Use this thread to discuss the ruinous effects of violence, gun control / gun rights, victim services, and other related tangents.

With Love and Courage
The Ender on

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    You will never be able to explain to me why anyone needs a fully automatic weapon outside of the military of law enforcement.

Also its becoming increasingly clear each time an event like this occurs that mandatory mental health screenings before a gun purchase and random screenings of current gun owners should be a federal mandate.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I think the AR-15 was semi-automatic, and in fairness it's not totally clear how many rounds he fired from it yet (though we do know he had a large 100-round drum magazine attached to it).

EDIT: Yes, the AR-15 was semi-auto. He may have converted it to fully auto, though (it would've been illegal to do so, because even U.S. gun laws aren't THAT crazy) - but that's not been discussed yet.

He also did take and pass some sort of screening tests, apparently. And he was also an undergrad neuroscience degree holder.

*shrug*

In any case, he bought 6 thousand fucking rounds of ammunition. SIX THOUSAND. In 2 months.

I mean, what kind of personal protection or hunting application does that have?

Man do I ever hate guns. I just hate them.

If people who are firearm users / fans want to talk about how they shouldn't be punished / restricted because of what guys like Holmes do, okay, whatever - but I don't think anyone here, even in that camp, thinks it's reasonable to buy that much ammunition over such a short span of time with zero oversight from the state / law enforcement?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think we should definitely look into ammunition restrictions.

I'm an avid fan of target shooting and the like, but even when I was in high school and going to my home range every day I didn't need six thousand rounds.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm with Chris Rock on this one. You don't need more than 100 bullets for self-defense.

• Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Considering he didn't have a fully automatic weapon I fail to see why it matters. Also how do you plan to give somewhere between a third and a half of the American population a mandatory mental health screening?

What I am most curious about is the explosives, what exactly are we talking here? Are we talking bathtub kaboom thanks to some knowledge of chemistry and a trip to home depot or did this guy have access to the good stuff. Obviously no amount of laws could stop him from rigging up some explosives, so that is not going to solve the issue. Explosives are already pretty heavily controlled.

Really though earlier tonight a friend of mine posted something and I think it really is the more important issue
    The largest Mental Health inpatient facility in the nation is a 1500 bed ward located in the Las Angelas County Corrections facility. The largest Mental inpatient facility is a severly overcrowed and unsanitary 500 bed unit in the Dade County Corrections Facility. Only known as the forgotten floor because if you get the honor of going there you are forgotten. Now here is the Mind job the inmates in these units only crimes (usually) are crimes that anyone else would have been released ROR yet the avg stay in them is 3 months WITHOUT any kind of psychiatric treatment6) or med management. They are forgotten and are subjected to hazerdous conditions such as no working plumbing or running water. Having to live in close proximiity of excrement and vomit. The smell of urine so bad it makes your eyes burn several yards before you even get to the floor entrance. Untreated wounds and potential life threatening medical conditions. EVEN TERRORIST ARE TREATED BETTER.

There was more to it but this part I wanted to link. This guy was obviously mentally unstable yet we are more concerned with reactionary bullshit worried about how he killed a bunch of people rather than the why he did it, and whether if we were more focused on treating mental illness could have been avoided altogether. Queue several pages explaining the basics of fully auto vs semi auto, legalities of owning a fully automatic weapon, and all the associate ignorance that always happens every single time we have a gun thread.

Wait are the police counting the Glock as the explosive devices he had on his person/in his car?

• Options
    How is that quote at all relevant to this thread, Detharin? He is not a patient of a mental health facility.
    What I am most curious about is the explosives, what exactly are we talking here? Are we talking bathtub kaboom thanks to some knowledge of chemistry and a trip to home depot or did this guy have access to the good stuff. Obviously no amount of laws could stop him from rigging up some explosives, so that is not going to solve the issue. Explosives are already pretty heavily controlled.

The police have said they were 'sophistcated'. Whether that means that they were military grade or just 'sophisticated in terms of bath tub explosives' is anyone's guess right now.
    Considering he didn't have a fully automatic weapon I fail to see why it matters.

100 rounds can go pretty quick with a semi-automatic weapon, depending on the amount of accuracy you want. People shooting into crowds generally don't need / want a lot of accuracy.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm with Chris Rock on this one. You don't need more than 100 bullets for self-defense.

That's very often not why people buy ammunition.

For target shooting 100 bullets can go by quite quickly.

Of course not many people buy AR-15s for target shooting.

One note about the AR-15, it is not just the civilian name for the M-16. They are different weapons.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    One note about the AR-15, it is not just the civilian name for the M-16. They are different weapons.

That's correct, but the designs are similar enough that most people who see an AR-15 recognize it as an M-16, in my experience. They handle & clean very similarly as well.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2012

What if you had to keep your large quantity of ammunition at the range? Like, what if it was just mandated that you had to keep anything over [X] quantity of bullets, if you wanted that many, at a licensed shooting range, and you had to cover the cost of keeping them stored? EDIT: Maybe the government could even subsidize you on the cost of storage for being a responsible gun owner rather than a fucking maniac.

What that be reasonable to you?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    How is that quote at all relevant to this thread, Detharin? He is not a patient of a mental health facility.

Because sane people do not generally go to the movies on premier days with the premeditated intention of killing a bunch of people.
    The police have said they were 'sophistcated'. Whether that means that they were military grade or just 'sophisticated in terms of bath tub explosives' is anyone's guess right now.

How well do you feel our very strict laws on the possession, manufacture, and use of explosives were in this case?
    100 rounds can go pretty quick with a semi-automatic weapon, depending on the amount of accuracy you want. People shooting into crowds generally don't need / want a lot of accuracy.

Right but first reply nailed the herpy derp right on the head. A fully automatic weapon was not even used in this case. Hell they are very rarely used in crimes at all. However without even a basic functional understanding of what exactly was used we already have calls for a ban on something that has already effectively been banned since 1984. Unless you are rich, because rich people can be trusted.

A theater though does make an excellent killing ground, as we saw in inglorious bastards. Generally you have four exits, two in the front, and two in the back. Which entrance you use will give you an excellent field of fire on at least two of them, and you could definitely easily discourage people from going for the last. Moreover given the cramp seating fleeing survivors are going to bottleneck each other making it a real opportunity for a bloodbath. Especially if you are using explosives. Hell it is dark, people are distracted, really from a rampage sort of view it is damn good.

We should ban theaters, or enact my plan to stage snipers above the stage to pick off talkers, cell phone users, and people going postal.

• Options

That's correct, but the designs are similar enough that most people who see an AR-15 recognize it as an M-16, in my experience. They handle & clean very similarly as well.

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to argue they didn't, but it's be more accurate to say "civilian version of the M-16" is all I was saying.

It's a minor quibble.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

What if you had to keep your large quantity of ammunition at the range? Like, what if it was just mandated that you had to keep anything over [X] quantity of bullets, if you wanted that many, at a licensed shooting range, and you had to cover the cost of keeping them stored? EDIT: Maybe the government could even subsidize you on the cost of storage for being a responsible gun owner rather than a fucking maniac.

I'm not sure.

I don't do most of my shooting on the range, and I've often had to use my rifles for reasons other than target practice (when I lived on my farm growing up, now that I live in cities I've left my guns in the country) so I'm not sure if I'm okay going that far.

But I'm sure there's a solution here.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

100 rounds is nothing if you are going to the range. My Calico itself holds 100 rounds. A pistol with two spare mags could easily run though 24-30 rounds and depending on what type of drills you are doing you could burn through that pretty quick.

The vast vast majority of people who buy AR-15s do it for target shooting, with second place somewhere between impressing friends or fighting off the zombie apocalypse. What else would you buy them for? They are rarely used in crimes, so what else would you be shooting with them aside from small game?

• Options
    Having used an M16 I don't know why anyone would choose to buy an AR15. They're just terrible rifles in my experience.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Trying to use incidents like this to push an anti-gun stance is pretty low and pathetic, Ender. Anyone this set on doing this level of crazy shit would manage no matter the laws--the fucker had bombs, remember? Those certainly weren't legal.

You want to restrict guns, maybe you can do it if the statistics show it's a reasonable way to combat gun crime compared to other, non-restrictive initiatives, not because omg guns are scary. And really, relative scariness is the only reason to restrict guns instead of, say, cigarettes, considering the fact that secondhand smoke kills more people than bullets.

• Options
    Because sane people do not generally go to the movies on premier days with the premeditated intention of killing a bunch of people.

Whether or not he was sane, a discussion on the state of mental health facilities in the U.S. is off-topic at the moment. Holmes was not a patient of one, and while he may be in the future, that certainly had no impact on the shootings.
    How well do you feel our very strict laws on the possession, manufacture, and use of explosives were in this case?

We'll see, I guess. If he developed the bombs in his kitchen, they probably weren't going to be very effective. If he bought them, the authorities can find the people he bought them from and charge them. So, I'd say at this point that the laws probably either forced him to make ineffective homemade bombs or forced him to acquire them illegally. That's pretty good in my book.
    Right but first reply nailed the herpy derp right on the head. A fully automatic weapon was not even used in this case. Hell they are very rarely used in crimes at all. However without even a basic functional understanding of what exactly was used we already have calls for a ban on something that has already effectively been banned since 1984. Unless you are rich, because rich people can be trusted.

Nobody said anything about a ban, and the error was corrected by me. It was also an easy error to make.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Picture-35.png

original.jpg

• Options
    Seriously, using this to push an agenda is about on par with Fox News, Ender, with their immediate attempts to pin this on liberals and OWS.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Trying to use incidents like this to push an anti-gun stance is pretty low and pathetic, Ender. Anyone this set on doing this level of crazy shit would manage no matter the laws--the fucker had bombs, remember? Those certainly weren't legal.

You want to restrict guns, maybe you can do it if the statistics show it's a reasonable way to combat gun crime compared to other, non-restrictive initiatives, not because omg guns are scary. And really, relative scariness is the only reason to restrict guns instead of, say, cigarettes, considering the fact that secondhand smoke kills more people than bullets.

I agree, though I do think tragedies like this do provide an opportunity to talk about these issues in ways we might just ignore on any other day.

I'm a gun owner, I've been around them all my life. I believe that a gun is intrinsically no more dangerous than a car, but I'm sure there are things that could be done to avoid making tragedies like this and other shootings as prevalent in our society as they are.

Though honestly, I think the answer lies in structural problems with society more than they do in the availability of guns and ammo.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Seriously, using this to push an agenda is about on par with Fox News, Ender, with their immediate attempts to pin this on liberals and OWS.

When is the best time to discuss gun control?

• Options

What does this achieve? How does the government track how many bullets you have? If I go to the range do I need to gather all my brass or I cannot buy more ammo? I own 5 different guns that combined can take 7 different calibers. How many bullets for each should I be allotted? Is that just for me? What about family members? If I am married with 3 kids does that mean I can have 5x the ammo of a single guy? What about people who reload? Do they need to drop their ammo off after they make it to pick it up later? How do you ensure they get the right ammo back? How are gunstores going to sort, store, account for, and maintain such a disparate lot of ammo for at least a third of the population? If i want to have an all day range day with friends legally on BML land how will this work with your system as i would need a lot more ammo than my normal allotment? What if I am avidly into 3 gun shooting competitions, I would need more than 100 rounds to compete in a single round.

Which returns us back to what does this achieve? Do you think limiting ammunition would have in any way prevented this tragedy?

• Options

I'm not 'using' this incident to push anything. Anti-gun is my stance, certainly, and you can deal with that.

As far as statistics are concerned, guns cause the most violent crime & murder in the U.S., by an extremely large margin.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Ammunition restrictions would not have prevented the Aurora shooting.

But six thousand rounds in two months seems a bit high for anyone other than a range owner.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    [
    Whether or not he was sane, a discussion on the state of mental health facilities in the U.S. is off-topic at the moment. Holmes was not a patient of one, and while he may be in the future, that certainly had no impact on the shootings.

Why not? If our mental health facilities and options were more developed who is to say this would have happened at all as he might have been able to get access to the treatment he needs.

We'll see, I guess. If he developed the bombs in his kitchen, they probably weren't going to be very effective. If he bought them, the authorities can find the people he bought them from and charge them. So, I'd say at this point that the laws probably either forced him to make ineffective homemade bombs or forced him to acquire them illegally. That's pretty good in my book.

but they did not stop him yes? Why would not the same means have been used to acquire a firearm? Why would making stricter laws on guns prevent anything, when already stricter laws on firearms did nothing in this case.
    Nobody said anything about a ban, and the error was corrected by me. It was also an easy error to make.

Not if you have a basic knowledge of firearms.

You make the case that since the people of the world are not decent & rational they should not be trusted with dangerous objects. Could you define decent and rational for us such that we can use your definition to decide what potentially lethal objects people should be allowed access to?

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Indeed, I see more gun nuts (Not people who like guns, I mean people who cherish their right to bear arms like it's their child) freaking out that the government is going to use this as an excuse to get rid of guns, than anti-gun people using this as a reason to get rid of guns. Or even worse, proclaim that the lack of guns was a reason the killer was not stopped.

As a Canadian, I must ask, does your "right to bear arms" follow in the same manner as "Free speech" where the government is not allowed to restrict your guns, but a private business can do whatever it damn well pleases?

• Options
    Detharin wrote: »

What does this achieve? How does the government track how many bullets you have? If I go to the range do I need to gather all my brass or I cannot buy more ammo? I own 5 different guns that combined can take 7 different calibers. How many bullets for each should I be allotted? Is that just for me? What about family members? If I am married with 3 kids does that mean I can have 5x the ammo of a single guy? What about people who reload? Do they need to drop their ammo off after they make it to pick it up later? How do you ensure they get the right ammo back? How are gunstores going to sort, store, account for, and maintain such a disparate lot of ammo for at least a third of the population? If i want to have an all day range day with friends legally on BML land how will this work with your system as i would need a lot more ammo than my normal allotment? What if I am avidly into 3 gun shooting competitions, I would need more than 100 rounds to compete in a single round.

Which returns us back to what does this achieve? Do you think limiting ammunition would have in any way prevented this tragedy?

'The government' doesn't track how much ammunition you have. Like most laws, a lot of it would probably be applied after a crime occurs, or during / after an inspection.

Yes, I think limiting ammunition in some meaningful way would have prevented this gunman from killing & wounding so many people.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    This might spark a few politicians in liberal cities districts making a play with the anti-gun angle, but for the most part gun control's a settled issue in the U.S. now. Anyone freaking out over this is the kind of person who freaks out at the drop of a hat.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Yeah, I mean, right after someone uses guns to murder a shitload of people would be the MOST obvious and correct time to discuss gun control.

Even if that discussion is simply "Wouldn't have helped here".

Right after an event happens is precisely when you discuss the factors that did or could have lead to said event.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Hey it's this thread again, the same argument that happened last time there was a shooting and the same argument that will come up at the next one.

This discussion is pointless on all levels. The last dozen shootings did nothing to advance gun control, the majority of Americans do not want more gun control. The odd massacre every year or two is a price most Americans are willing to pay to have guns.

• Options
    You make the case that since the people of the world are not decent & rational they should not be trusted with dangerous objects. Could you define decent and rational for us such that we can use your definition to decide what potentially lethal objects people should be allowed access to?

I didn't 'make a case'. You'll note that it was an off-hand remark rather than a methodical argument.

I think human beings have demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that enough people enough of the time are so horrifically unprepared to handle firearms with any semblance of responsibility that the public should not be trusted with them, just like we don't trust the public with quite a few things. I get it: you like target ranges, you're a responsible gun owner, you buy guns and you love guns. We occupy different universes, but whatever, that's fine. The problem is that most people aren't like you. They buy guns and do either stupid shit or outright malicious shit with them.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »
    Hey it's this thread again, the same argument that happened last time there was a shooting and the same argument that will come up at the next one.

This discussion is pointless on all levels. The last dozen shootings did nothing to advance gun control, the majority of Americans do not want more gun control. The odd massacre every year or two is a price most Americans are willing to pay to have guns.

Just so you are aware: this is not some exclusive gun control thread.

Like I said in the OP: talk about victim services or the causal agents of violence or whatever related to this particular shooting.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular

Probably at a time when there hasn't just been an unthinkable tragedy so people's emotions are raw and rational thought is therefore compromised. Crafting a gun policy which will work, which carefully balances the legitimate need for people to defend themselves vs. the cultural importance of weapon rights and individual gun ownership vs. the very real right of people to not get shot, will require caution, reason, and civilized discussion. Right after some asshole who apparently thought he was the Joker shot up a theater is not the time.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options

I didn't 'make a case'. You'll note that it was an off-hand remark rather than a methodical argument.

I think human beings have demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that enough people enough of the time are so horrifically unprepared to handle firearms with any semblance of responsibility that the public should not be trusted with them, just like we don't trust the public with quite a few things. I get it: you like target ranges, you're a responsible gun owner, you buy guns and you love guns. We occupy different universes, but whatever, that's fine. The problem is that most people aren't like you. They buy guns and do either stupid shit or outright malicious shit with them.

Over half of American households own guns. Like 30% of those who identify as Democrats, even. What 'malicious shit' is the 'majority' of us doing, exactly?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm not 'using' this incident to push anything. Anti-gun is my stance, certainly, and you can deal with that.

As far as statistics are concerned, guns cause the most violent crime & murder in the U.S., by an extremely large margin.

Well first guns do not cause anything. Guns are inanimate objects. Unless my guns are sneaking out at night, but that is just snark.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=43
    Presence of weapons in violent incidents, by type, 2009

Violent Rape/ Robbery Simple/
    Crime Sexual Aggravated
    Assault Assault
    Total 100 % 100 % 100 % 100 %
    No weapon 73 % 85 % 48 % 76 %

Weapon 22 % 10 %* 47 % 19 %
    Firearm 8 -- * 28 5
    Knife 6 8 * 9 5
    Other 7 2 * 8 7
    Unknown 2 -- * 2 * 1
    Don't know 6 % 5 %* 6 %* 6 %

Note: Percentage may not total to 100% because of rounding. If the offender was armed with more than one weapon, the crime is classified based on the most serious weapon present.
    Sadly the spacing is terrible. Id say check the link.

The vast majority of violent crimes do not involve firearms, nor are they an extremely large margin over other weapons down there in the 22% category. Is an interesting read if a bit out of date.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/wuvc01.pdf

Now if you are talking just murders then yes small caliber handguns that hold less than 8 rounds are the most common murder weapon used.

Detharin on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    I get it: you like target ranges, you're a responsible gun owner, you buy guns and you love guns. We occupy different universes, but whatever, that's fine. The problem is that most people aren't like you. They buy guns and do either stupid shit or outright malicious shit with them.

Well, no, that would be too easy, wouldn't it? Most people don't do those things, obviously. Something like a third of Americans own guns and we get a crazy spree shooting, what, once every few years?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    not once every few years

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/pdf/major-shootings.pdf a few times a month

poo
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

The last big massacre involving an American shooter on a rampage was that SEAL dude who murdered 16 civilians in Afghanistan.

• Options

Are there any other potentially dangerous objects you feel the public should not be trusted with? Could you provide some logical non-arbitrary way for us to differentiate potentially dangerous objects that should be kept out of peoples hands?

For instance according to parenting magazine
    Since Memorial Day, 77 people have drowned in a pool (most of them kids), and 78 others were involved in near-drowning experiences.

Where are we classifying pools on this scale?

Hell according to struckbylightening.org mythical sky dad has already killed 13 people and injured 111 alone this year. Can people not be trusted to go outside during storms?

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    I said crazy spree shooting. At least half of those are gang-related.

This discussion has been closed.