As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaaaace!] Curiosity Lands on Mars, Orbital Mechanics, Neil Armstrong is dead.

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Who is best at space? Curiosity Rover is best at space!

Landing times where you are (approx, for delay/relativistic effects).
Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) is a robotic mission to Mars launched by NASA on November 26, 2011 that will attempt to land a Mars rover called Curiosity on the surface of Mars. Currently en route to the planet, it is scheduled to land in Gale Crater at about 05:31 UTC on August 6, 2012. The rover's objectives include determining Mars' habitability, studying the Martian climate and geology, and collecting data for a future manned mission to Mars.

Curiosity is about twice as long and five times as heavy as the Spirit and Opportunity Mars exploration rovers, and carries over ten times the mass of scientific instruments.[18] It will attempt a more accurate landing than previous rovers, within a landing ellipse of 7 by 20 km (4.3 by 12 mi),[19] in the Aeolis Palus region of Gale Crater. This location is near the mountain Aeolis Mons (formerly called "Mount Sharp"). It is designed to explore for at least 687 Earth days (1 Martian year) over a range of 5 by 20 km (3.1 by 12 mi).

The Mars Science Laboratory mission is part of NASA's Mars Exploration Program, a long-term effort for the robotic exploration of Mars, and the project is managed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory of California Institute of Technology. When MSL launched, the program's director was Doug McCuistion of NASA's Planetary Science Division. The total cost of the MSL project is about US$2.5 billion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzqdoXwLBT8

curiositylandinginfogra.jpg

If this fails, it will be a huge setback, so I'm crossing all fingers and toes for Monday. How about you fine D&D'ers ?

Zilla360 on

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    A buddy of mine worked on this thing. I'm super pumped to see how this goes, but he's a nervous wreck.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    What are the odds that they didn't convert feet to meters, and it lands upside down, and the lens is fucked up?

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    What are the odds that they didn't convert feet to meters, and it lands upside down, and the lens is fucked up?

Pretty low, I'd guess. NASA is rather good about not screwing up the same thing twice, IIRC.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    You can never discount that. Mars is hard. There has already been at least one major mistake. Teflon coated drills. Doh! :rotate:

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    But yeah, I doubt they'd live another software bug like that down if it happened twice.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think the last 2 rovers outperformed expectations so far that even if nasa totally fucks this one up I'll forgive them

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I think the last 2 rovers outperformed expectations so far that even if nasa totally fucks this one up I'll forgive them

spirit.png

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

spirit.png

I actually got choked up by the end...

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    That video was sooooooo freakin awesome. I am pumped. I assume that the rovers video of itself landing will be available at some point?

• Options

spirit.png

That is Wall-E levels of depressing.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Kharnastus wrote: »
    That video was sooooooo freakin awesome. I am pumped. I assume that the rovers video of itself landing will be available at some point?

how do you suppose that will be shot?

• Options
    You can watch it live from here, on the night/morning: http://www.ustream.tv/NASAJPL
    I usually just use one of NASA's many Youtube channels if I miss anything. :)

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    This will be very exciting. I wish nothing but the best for the landing!

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

spirit.png

One day we will go get its remains and return them home to go on a plinth in a museum. :'(

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Damn it, this thread got super depressing.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    If this works, it'll be amazing.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I watched the video of how they expect that thing to land. God i hope im wrong but there just seems so many things that could go wrong with that 'eject this, fire thrusters to level out, land safely' process. I'm crossing my fingers tho.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

spirit.png

One day we will go get its remains and return them home to go on a plinth in a museum. :'(

Your damn right we will. Thanks little robot, we wont forget you.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I watched the video of how they expect that thing to land. God i hope im wrong but there just seems so many things that could go wrong with that 'eject this, fire thrusters to level out, land safely' process. I'm crossing my fingers tho.

Well, I mean. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, sure, but it's likely the best way we have right now. I'm sure it wouldn't have been greenlit if they didn't have a decent shot at it.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Kharnastus wrote: »

how do you suppose that will be shot?

According to this article there's a camera on the rover facing down that will record video during the descent.

http://spaceflightnow.com/mars/msl/120731skycrane/
    "It does eight frames per second, high-definition-quality video from the backshell coming off (all the way) to the ground," Theisinger said. "So it's a lot of data, it'll take a long time to get it back. But it should be a tremendous movie when it does."

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

spirit.png

You really want to bring a robot home that has been brooding on a distant planet for years?

That's just asking for robot overlords.

• Options
    RomanRoman Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    @Salvation122
    Reminds me of:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsV-qozMz9A&gt;]

Guys, does anyone remember spacebat?

Roman on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Hey, Opportunity is still driving around and having a merry 'ol time.

...How much different is Curiosity's deployment from Spirit or Opportunity's?

It's bound to happen one of these times, but this had better not be the time that something goes wrong out of the blue and wrecks the rover during the landing sequence. NASA really can't afford any accidents until America has a much science-friendlier administration (which is, in mind mind, incredibly stupid. But whatever; I guess it keeps JPL honest).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Also: I'm sure we'll pick-up Spirit & Opportunity when we do our manned mission. Whenever that'll be. :|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Is there a good reason why we only send one rover at a time?

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    This will be so awesome if it works. It seems insanely complicated at first glance, but I keep reminding myself that people felt the same way about Lunar Orbit Rendezvous for a time, and that turned out to be very safe and efficient. So, we'll see.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

About 2.5 billion reasons I'd imagine.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    I am going to watch this landing for sure.
    The Ender wrote: »
    Also: I'm sure we'll pick-up Spirit & Opportunity when we do our manned mission. Whenever that'll be. :|
    No, we won't. There's very little reason for a manned mission to even land anywhere near either rover, and zero reason to bring either of them back to the Earth. It would be extraordinarily expensive for a historical trinket, especially when every kilogram of rover would be displacing a kilogram of soil/rock/atmosphere samples.

If they are recovered, it will be well after the initial manned exploration of Mars has been completed, when travel to and from the planet is much more commonplace.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

About 2.5 billion reasons I'd imagine.

A lot of that is eaten up in the development and launch costs, though, both of which would only need to be paid off once if you have multiple identical payloads.

I'm having trouble finding a breakdown of how much was spent on the physical rover, which unfortunately might not be publicly available at all.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Cost, development time and the size of JPL / NASA. I'm sure that NASA would love to send 10 rovers to each planet in the inner solar system - but they have a shoestring budget and a pretty small staff of experts, so we get one rover every [X] number of years.
    This will be so awesome if it works. It seems insanely complicated at first glance, but I keep reminding myself that people felt the same way about Lunar Orbit Rendezvous for a time, and that turned out to be very safe and efficient. So, we'll see.

The 'Sky Crane' manoeuvre is making me wince, because that's a bit of engineering wankery if I've ever seen it. The proposed problem it solves (kicking up a dust cloud) is much less significant than the potential complications & risk it presents. If the rover touches down with rockets and the dust disabled a piece of equipment, or even if the dust jams a wheel and the rover can't move, that's much much better than if the Sky Crane manoeuvre gets botched (one strong gust of wind will screw it up) and the entire rover is destroyed.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    No, we won't. There's very little reason for a manned mission to even land anywhere near either rover, and zero reason to bring either of them back to the Earth. It would be extraordinarily expensive for a historical trinket, especially when every kilogram of rover would be displacing a kilogram of soil/rock/atmosphere samples.

If they are recovered, it will be well after the initial manned exploration of Mars has been completed, when travel to and from the planet is much more commonplace.

I disagree. While it makes less scientific sense, it's a huge national pride boost, and from a political standpoint it would hopefully drive interest in even more funding and enthusiasm for scientific pursuits like this.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm all for scientific exploration and the like. But yeah, what makes this different from the other rovers we've sent?

I guess it kinda says something that landing rovers on Mars is now a bit mundane.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited August 2012

I disagree. While it makes less scientific sense, it's a huge national pride boost, and from a political standpoint it would hopefully drive interest in even more funding and enthusiasm for scientific pursuits like this.
    Look, I don't mean to be insulting, but if you're approaching this from a "national pride" perspective you have to remember that these rovers will leave the national consciousness the minute a human boot thuds onto the surface of Mars. Can you name any of the rovers sent to the Moon prior to our manned landing there?

Given that there's no scientific reason to bring them back in the near term, I don't see it happening.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    I'm all for scientific exploration and the like. But yeah, what makes this different from the other rovers we've sent?

I guess it kinda says something that landing rovers on Mars is now a bit mundane.

MSL is much, much different than Spirit or Opportunity in terms of it's mission, location & capabilities. We're going to be using it to build a (rough) model of Mars's geological history, and to determine whether or not life is likely to have ever arisen on the red planet.

It's a huge landmark in exploration.
    Given that there's no scientific reason to bring them back in the near term, I don't see it happening.

1) JPL gets pretty attached to it's probes. I think they'll want Spirit & Opportunity back.

2) There is a valid scientific reason to get both back & into a lab: we want to check over the instruments & make sure everything was functioning properly when they were conducting their experiments. Verification / falsification / replication.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The 'Sky Crane' manoeuvre is making me wince, because that's a bit of engineering wankery if I've ever seen it. The proposed problem it solves (kicking up a dust cloud) is much less significant than the potential complications & risk it presents. If the rover touches down with rockets and the dust disabled a piece of equipment, or even if the dust jams a wheel and the rover can't move, that's much much better than if the Sky Crane manoeuvre gets botched (one strong gust of wind will screw it up) and the entire rover is destroyed.
    Are you even an engineer? I am absolutely certain that I don't know enough to decide if this is the right solution to this particular technical problem, and I'm pretty certain you don't either.

I was a little surprised to see the thrusters firing before the rover itself was lowered, though. My first thought would've been to take advantage of the dynamic stability you get by essentially operating in a "tractor" configuration vs. Mars' gravity while lowering the thing down. I guess they're confident enough in their flight control routines that they won't tip the thing over between the parachute and sky crane phases.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Look, I don't mean to be insulting, but if you're approaching this from a "national pride" perspective you have to remember that these rovers will leave the national consciousness the minute a human boot thuds onto the surface of Mars. Can you name any of the rovers sent to the Moon prior to our manned landing there?

I don't take it as an insult...national pride may have been the wrong wording to choose. It just seems like bringing them back would be an easy political move to help garner more interest (and funding) in scientific pursuits.

Edit: Or at the very least it would spark interest in future generations to pursue scientific fields. I guess it just seems like an easy win, though I have no idea what the logistics would be to bring them back.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I like the comic and all but Anthropormorphizing the Rogers then hoping for a mission to recover them seems...misguided

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Kagera wrote: »
    I like the comic and all but Anthropormorphizing the Rogers then hoping for a mission to recover them seems...misguided
    There have been serious, considered proposals for a first manned mission to Mars in which there is no plan to recover the human astronauts.

Now, those proposals *are* mostly dead in the water for political reasons, but that should give you [edit: second-person plural "you"] some idea of how technically difficult a return mission will be. I don't see us working to bring back anything from Mars that isn't either a person or an immediately relevant object of scientific curiosity--at least not in the near term. In proposing such a mission you might get a bit of traction from sentimental parts of the population, but you'd have to fight through both the scientific community (who will think it's a dumb idea) and all the usual anti-spaceflight elements of the political establishment.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Now, those proposals *are* mostly dead in the water for political reasons, but that should give you some idea of how technically difficult a return mission will be.

That's a fair point, but we won't be launching a mission to mars unless we can put together a plan for a return trip, and I don't think it'll be too technically difficult to fit a rover or two into the craft once we've drafted that plan. Time will tell, I guess.

And I'm pretty sure nobody is interested in a one-way trip. There were volunteers for such a voyage, but I know JPL did not think it would be a good idea even if they had public support at the outset (mostly because the whole reason you'd want to do a manned mission in the first place is to prove that you can safely transport people from planet to planet).

With Love and Courage