As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Hmmm, sorry I am late.

Tell me if I am doing this right.

Play on the secondary ability, Spend a Strategic Allocation Command Counter, Exhaust Muaat and spend both political cards as trade goods to annex Capha.
    The Embers of Muaat today shocked the galaxy by backing the brutal Tyrant of Ur in his conquest of Capha. The Tyrant, a massive phentogenic space organism known for several crimes against sentient life, has pledged the resources of the pristine world known as a Galactic Heritage Site to the Muaat industrial effort. Diplomatic protests were issued by several organizations and the Muaat will be hard pressed to find any allies or influence in the upcoming galactic senate meeting. Stay linked to IGN for updates on this tragic situation.

Do I need to post my political cards?

Just to clarify does the secondary ability count wormhole connected systems as adjacent or is it just for movement?

I will also agree to that exchange on a provisional basis @Orange Soda while I consult the flames.

[limegreen]TG/AC/PC: 0/0/0
    SA/FS/CC: 1/3/3
    [/color]

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    Sigh

@Orange Soda

TG/AC/PC: 0/0/0
    SA/FS/CC: 1/3/3

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Activate Lodor. Move Carrier from Creuss, through the D wormhole, carrying 2 GF units. Accompany the Carrier with 1 destroyer. Land 2 GF on Lodor to take control of the planet.

TG/AC/PC: 0/0/2
    SA/FS/CC: 2/3/2

Orange Soda on
    @MrBody and @BertezBertez, the yin, are up next

Oh no I was sighing at my failures in the above post, the [limegreen] and the poor at-sign usage. I just wanted to at-sign you again.

Anyway the trade agreement seems fine, I don't like directly opposing telepathic organisms on principle anyway.

Threats of violence are always appreciated though when directed at others.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Hiss!

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    For clarity sake for everyone else, I was asking why he was sighing and asked if it was because it was my turn or because of threats of violence. I edited my orders into that post because I realized we were up :)

I am mixing up organisms again aren't I. Look after one handles them for a while they all look like blackened char sorry.

Yeah I am scared of the super fast ghosts. Seriously what the hell XRD transporters?

To @stever777 ... my point stands on the telepathic snakes thing. You will probably see few Warsuns headed to bombard your planet.

I mean... none from us.

Can't really take you seriously with that av, Void.

edited August 2012
    Hmmm, sorry I am late.

No prob, It's PbP, not by chat.
    E - Our last game took 2 months!

stever777 on

And if I recall correctly that ended 3 turns early.

I should probably find a more threatening Janeway.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Do I need to post my political cards?
    You need not post the text, but you should note the names. I will provide card text on request if other players desire it.
    Muaat has discarded the Political Cards "Repeal Labor Laws" and "New Constitution".
    Just to clarify does the secondary ability count wormhole connected systems as adjacent or is it just for movement?
    Systems connected by wormholes are adjacent only for movement - you may not use the Diplomacy II Secondary to annex a world through a wormhole. (See page 9 of the FAQ).

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Oh yeah. You were in that one.
    Is there a more threatening Janeway?
    Maybe she's holding a walker?

I am mixing up organisms again aren't I. Look after one handles them for a while they all look like blackened char sorry.

Yeah I am scared of the super fast ghosts. Seriously what the hell XRD transporters?

To @stever777 ... my point stands on the telepathic snakes thing. You will probably see few Warsuns headed to bombard your planet.

I mean... none from us.

Yah, I am very much a fan of starting off a TI game with XRD already

• calibercaliber Registered User regular
    Alternatively, Jol-Nar... you do have a nice 3 trade agreement. L1Z1X is being a little confrontational. It might be in our best interest to hit up a trade agreement with someone across the map instead. I'd like to remind you that there is a wormhole very close to your sector of space and home world. Creuss is just as much your "neighbor" as the two people to your left and right. It could be in your best interest to work with us as a team.

The Universities are quite interested in learning from our less corporeal brethren. I'm sure a profitable research grant could be worked out in the interests of friendship and science.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    We do, not sure what he's thinking

He's thinking he'll try and shaft the MindNet? :p
    [...]
    L1Z1X is being a little confrontational.
    [...]
    I will have to look for another way to broker peace with the l1z1X.
    [...]
    Then you might begin with some actual diplomacy.

There's nothing "confrontational" about pointing out that you got the value of your own Trade Agreements wrong.

On the other hand, issuing veiled threats about the placement of wormholes and promising to destroy people who are actively working to make sure you don't short-change yourself seems very aggressive indeed. Are you sure you've got the gas mixture in your pressure suit right?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    Our mistake. The gas mixture in our suit was indeed set to hostile :)

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Mine is set to bubbles

PSN SeGaTai
    I think we can all learn something from SeGaTai.

Currently Playing:
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Just so I get this right,

Activate Heracolor/Tiamat system. Move 1 destroyer, 1 carrier, 3 fighters, and 3 ground forces there. Land 1 ground force on Heracolor, 2 on Tiamat.

There was some confusion on whether this exhausted our home planet or not.

MrBody on
  • calibercaliber Registered User regular
    I think we can all learn something from SeGaTai.

I think we're all learning something about SeGaTai.

Your home world is not exhausted nor is it activated. The only thing you lose moving your ships is the CC from your command pool to do the activation. Once a system is activated, everything in that system is essentially "locked out" for the rest of the turn with the following exceptions that I can think of:

There is an action card called "unexpected action" I think, which removes a command counter from the board.

With production, you can build at a spacedock, even if the system is already activated.

I think if someone attacks your system which has already been activated, you should still be able to use the "tactical retreat" game option we are playing with to use a CC from strategy allocation to retreat into an unactivated sytem that is empty or that you control (I could be wrong about it being allowed to be empty.. i'd have to look up the specifics)

Unless you exahausted your homeworld for diplomacy. I still don't have everyone's forum nicks paired up with races yet, so there is some confusion in my mind on who did what.

Muaat and Naalu(through primary) were the only ones to play on Diplomacy-the Yin homeworld in still unexhausted.

PSN SeGaTai
    Activating a system with a command counter does not effect the systems that ships are moving from. It does not even exhaust the planets in the system you are moving to. Only using the resource or action cards or planets changing hands exhaust them.

Yah, but what I mean is that I keep having to check the OP to see who both players on certain teams are! Earlier I thought I was talking to L1Z1X when they made that "sigh post" and then realized right after I did it that it was not them!

Action looks good to me, MrBody. As mentioned by others, you haven't exhausted your home planet, since your actions didn't have anything to do with it. Don't forget to update your token counts after your actions for reference.

I'll make an updated game status post in a few minutes.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012
    Round 1: Action Phase Update 1

The Naalu Collective: Play Primary Ability of the (2) Diplomacy Strategy Card to annex Bereg.
    Muaat plays on the Secondary Ability, spending a Strategy Allocation Counter (SA 2 --> 1), exhausting Muaat (1I), and discarding Political Cards "Repeal Labor Laws" and "New Constitution" (PC 2 --> 0 ) to annex Capha.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Activate Lodor System. (CP 3 --> 2)
    Move in 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier, and 2 Ground Forces from Creuss Home System.
    Land 2 Ground Forces on Lodor.
    The Yin Brotherhood: Activate Hercalor-Tiamat System. (CP 3 --> 2)
    Move in 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier, 3 Fighters, and 3 Ground Forces from Yin Home System.
    Land 1 Ground Force on Hercalor and 2 Ground Forces on Tiamat.

Current Map: Round 1, Action Phase Update 1

Current Technologies

Victory Points and Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 0 VP
    The Naalu Collective: 0 VP
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 0 VP
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 0 VP
    The Embers of Muaat: 0 VP
    The Yin Brotherhood: 0 VP

Public Objectives
    [1 VP] I now spend 3 Command Counters from my Command and/or Strategy Allocation areas.:

Secret Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 1 Secret Objective
    The Naalu Collective: 1 Secret Objective
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 1 Secret Objective
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 1 Secret Objective
    The Embers of Muaat: 1 Secret Objective
    The Yin Brotherhood: 1 Secret Objective

Universities of Jol-Nar - caliber and GrimmyTOA:
    Trade Goods: 0
    Action Cards: 0
    Political Cards: 2

Strategy Allocation: 2
    Fleet Supply: 3
    Command Pool: 3

Trade Contracts: (Jol-Nar [1], Jol-Nar [3])
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools

Worlds:
    R - Jol (1R, 2I)
    R - Nar (2R, 3I)
    The Naalu Collective - stever777:

Trade Contracts: (Naalu [1], Naalu [2])
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator

Worlds:
    R - Maaluuk (0R, 2I)
    R - Druaa (3R, 1I)
    X - Bereg (3R, 1I, R)
    The L1z1x Mindnet - Kilnaga and Iron Weasel:

Strategy Allocation: 3

Trade Contracts: (L1z1x [1], L1z1x [1])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules, Cybernetics, Hylar V Assault Laser

Worlds:
    R - [0.0.0] (5R, 0I)
    The Ghosts of Creuss - Orange Soda and SeGaTai:

Command Pool: 2

Trade Contracts: (Creuss [2], Creuss [2])
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, XRD Transporters

Worlds:
    R - Creuss (4R, 2I)
    X - Lodor (3R, 1I, G)
    The Embers of Muaat - Void Slayer:
    Political Cards: 0

Strategy Allocation: 1

Trade Contracts: (Muaat [2], Muaat [2])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools, War Sun

Worlds:
    X - Muaat (4R, 1I)
    X - Capha (3R, 0I)
    The Yin Brotherhood - MrBody and BertezBertez:

Command Pool: 2

Trade Contracts: (Yin [1], Yin [1])
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets

Worlds:
    R - Darien (2R, 4I)
    X - Hercalor (1R, 0I, Y)
    X - Tiamat (1R, 2I, Y)

Neutral Worlds
    N - Mecatol Rex (1R, 6I)
    N - Abaddon (1R, 0I, R)
    N - Arinam (1R, 2I, B)
    N - Ashtroth (2R, 0I)
    N - Centauri (1R, 3I)
    N - Faunus (1R, 3I, G (x2))
    N - Gral (1R, 1I, B)
    N - Lirta IV (2R, 3I, G)
    N - Loki (1R, 2I)
    N - Mallice (0R, 3I)
    N - Meer (0R, 4I)
    N - Mirage (1R, 2I, F (x2))
    N - Quann (2R, 1I, G)
    N - Qucen'n (1R, 2I)
    N - Rarron (0R, 3I, G)
    N - Rigel I (0R, 1I, G)
    N - Rigel II (1R, 2I)
    N - Rigel III (1R, 1I, B)
    N - Saudor (2R, 2I)
    N - Tar'mann (1R, 1I)
    N - Tequ'ran (2R, 0I, R)
    N - Thibah (1R, 1I)
    N - Torkan (0R, 3I, B)
    N - Vefut II (2R, 0I, R)
    N - Vega Major (2R, 1I)
    N - Vega Minor (1R, 2I, B)
    N - Wellon (1R, 2I)

Order of Play
    The Naalu Collective: (0) Diplomacy II
    The Ghosts of Creuss: (1) Leadership
    The Yin Brotherhood: (3) Assembly
    The L1z1x Mindnet: (4) Production Current Turn
    Universities of Jol-Nar: (5) Trade II
    The Embers of Muaat: (7) Technology II

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    If I'm reading the rules right, PDS units can only fire at ships after they're reached their final destination? You cannot shoot at ships moving through or out of systems within your range?

Nope, any time they move within range pds fire can occur

PSN SeGaTai
    edited August 2012
    I thought that PDS fire was only directed into activated systems. That is to say, if you make a movement through an opponent's PDS fire range, they do not get to take shots if the system you move through was not the one you activated.

EDIT: Yeah, not seeing it. SeGaTai, do you have a reference? Otherwise, I believe MrBody has it right.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    That sounds right now that I think about it. Was reading the question the wrong way.

PSN SeGaTai
    Ah, right - while I'm at it, best do the customary alert for @Kilnaga and @Iron Weasel that it is their turn.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Sorry, spend all day rigging up a mafia victory in the main. I'll talk to IW and get our turn out ASAP.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    Why you gotta be like that

PSN SeGaTai
    We are developing a consensus and will post our action as soon as possible.

Currently Playing:
    edited August 2012
    It's really fascinating going over the cost effectiveness of the different units. You think you have it down, but then there are a bunch of factors that make you reevaluate everything, not to mention the technologies that can radically alter them all.

At first glance I figured it was like Axis & Allies where it's only ever worth building 1 or 2 units, but now I'm seeing a use for lots of them.

MrBody on
    While dice roll calculators can give you an idea about the effectiveness of each unit, I mixed force is usually the way to go I think-gives you a lot more to work with when combining with action cards.

PSN SeGaTai
    edited August 2012
    Thank you for your patience - your call is very important to us.

Activate Saudor and move in 1 dreadnought and 1 Ground Force (using Stasis Capsules) . Land 1 GF on Saudor.

Sentients of Saudor, you have been selected to join the MindNet. Resistance is futile.
    Your fears, struggles, hopes and dreams will be replaced with singular purpose. Your brief, irrelevant existence will be given new and eternal meaning.
    Assimilation awaits.

@caliber and @GrimmyTOA are up next for the Universities of Jol-Nar.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    TG/AC/PC: 0/0/2
    SA/FS/CC: 3/3/2

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna