As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying a digital camera.

LocklockLocklock Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
For the last year I've been entertaining the idea of buying a digital camera, and I finally have the money to spend on one. I know a little about digital cameras, but I'm no professional, and what turns up in google isn't making the decision any easier. Here are some of my criteria:
    I have around $150 to spend.
    This will be a workhorse camera for the whole family.
    I'd like to be able to take nice outdoor photos.
So does anyone have a camera to recommend? Maybe some tips for buying a camera? What to look for, what to avoid, and so on?

abear6yy.jpg
Locklock on

• kevbotkevbot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd recommend the Canon A530 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a530.html). I bought mine from Futureshop in Canada (Bestbuy? in the US) for around $170 about 5 months ago when it went on sale. It takes excellent pictures, but is really hard on batteries, so pick up some good NiMH rechargeables. I use Energizer 2500 mAh that came with a charger. They'll last around 300 pictures with flash.

Also, make sure you get a fast memory card. I have a 2GB card that is rated 60x, but it takes several seconds to write a picture. Get a 100-150x card if possible.

kevbot on
    Your music is bad, and you should feel bad!
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Olympus Mju 225. Yeah, it's more expensive, but it's waterproof! And shock-proof. For clumsy oafs like me (helpfully described as 'butter-fingered' by Olympus) it's great.

Of course the last digital camera I bought I managed to lose before I even got off the plane.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • the muffinthe muffin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    www.cnet.com

I've trusted them with every electronic purchace I've made in the last 3 years.

the muffin on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm currently looking at the Canon SD600, but that's just a little bit out of your range. If you're willing to go a bit higher it seems like a great value.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm currently looking at the Canon SD600, but that's just a little bit out of your range. If you're willing to go a bit higher it seems like a great value.

That it is. Just got one for $200 from Circuit City. Apparently it's being discontinued.

KMFurDM on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KMFurDM wrote: »

That it is. Just got one for $200 from Circuit City. Apparently it's being discontinued.

They'll be coming out with a new model in the same price bracket. Some people got the 600 at CC for $200 with a $40 coupon and that's a ridiculous price for such a good camera.

They were $200 online aroudn the holidays but have been creeping up in price ever since. I imagine they'll get cleared out soon when Canon announced their new models.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?