Options

Old MechWarrior Online Thread

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I know, MWO is so DOOOOOOMED!

Though depending on how you look at it, there's plenty of chest-high cover for assaults. The problem is that a lot of it is moving and shoots at you.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    KiTA wrote: »
    Man, what BS. What kind of FPS doesn't let you fire your guns as fast as you can? Lame. There's not even health regen and chest high wall cover, what is this, the 90s?

Just make sure you run your mech over the rocket launcher and 4x damage before taking on the Atlas boss.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    So I have heard that there are some serious issues with overheating in the game. Like you can barely shoot more than two or three times without shutting down. And that is with a base model mech with butt ton of heat sinks installed in lieu of a little armor.

I am going to guess your experience with the BattleTech/MechWarrior franchise is negligible.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Man it really speaks well for this game that it's only a beta, there's only 4 maps and 8 mechs and yet we manage to fill up almost 2 groups a night. Loving this game.

You wouldn't think so from reading the official forums, though. According to them the game is doooooooooomed

That's because official forums are a hive of scum and villainy.

This is why I made it a point at PAX to thank the MWO devs in person for all their hard work and tell them how much fun us PA guys are having with MWO. All the doomsayers on the official boards need to have their teeth kicked in. Unrelated: I bought the 3050 Technical Readouts while I was at the general Catalyst booth and got a sweet MWO shirt. :D

Anyhoo, look at the name of the native voice comms that PGI contracted. I've been laughing about it all day.

Fucking this.

Heck I've thought about buying the technical manual just to look at all the pictures and stuff. How's the art quality (disclosure: Never owned a BT sourcebook before)?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I actually dug out my Classic BattleTech rulebook the other day and was thumbing through it. This is the recent hardback one, that actually says "Classic BattleTech". I've lost all my original BTech source material over the years, which is a shame, because I had some very early versions of some of the technical manuals (pre-Robotech dust up stuff).

(Oh, I guess it says BattleTech: Total Warfare on the front...whatever, it's the classic TT rules).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    All the different rule books confound and astound me. I thought about just picking up the intro box-set thing and going from there.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    That's a good choice as well if you've never played BattleTech.

The only book you MUST HAVE is the Total Warfare core rules. You can play forever and ever with just that, but the technical readouts are helpful as they contain tons of mech variants and the rules for customizing the chassis.

In TT, customizing makes is WAY more rare unless you're playing clan stuff. If you're playing IS, you mostly just choose from the variants. Keeping in mind that in the TT, almost all the weapons are useful and have a purpose.

e: Oh, it looks like Catalyst split out the construction rules in to their own book. So I would say to play FOREVER AND EVER, you'd need Total Warfare and TechManual. That gets you the core rules + construction rules. Everything else is just cream.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Also, I love Catalyst's HexPacks. Great way to put together a nice BattleTech playing surface.

• Options
    Also, PIG could have all my money, ever, if they add Elemental BattleSuits to the game.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Also, PIG could have all my money, ever, if they add Elemental BattleSuits to the game.

I'm telling them three times, No. Elemental suits are stupid. Giant stompy robots are awesome. Swarm attacks and latching onto legs are not.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    edited September 2012
    You shut up. I will kill for Elemental suits. That Atlas being a problem? No biggie, swarm him with Elementals and tear his leg armor apart.

e: Better yet, if they do end up adding off screen artillery strikes and such, make calling in an Elemental swarm an offscreen strike option for Clan mechs.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

I'm telling them three times, No. Elemental suits are stupid. Giant stompy robots are awesome. Swarm attacks and latching onto legs are not.

Shit. Time to break out the books again....

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Wouldn't see these for another year anyway, but I dunno if PGI will put in Elementals; they may heftily outclass standard infantry, but they're pretty paltry compared to even a light mech. They're slow, have practically no armor, and carry a pathetic armament.

I wouldn't be surprised to see PGI skip over Elementals simply because they're just way too close to infantry and would be too hard to balance; you'd have to have something like 5 Elementals per light mech to approach parity, and even then, almost any light mech could alpha strike an Elemental into oblivion or instantly escape them. On top of that, there's also the issue of netcode that's built for 24 (because MWO will be 12v12 at some point) trying to handle double that because of Elemental assets. And on top of that, trying to make Elementals able to use one of their big strengths (land on enemy mechs and start pulling them apart) without creating major issues would be another obstacle.

Not saying it couldn't ever happen, but Elementals would require a lot of work for something pretty minor, compared to mechs.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure player piloted Elementals would be good, but see my idea about an Elemental swarm off-screen strike call-in for clan mechs, if we get off screen strikes (which it seems like we might with TAG going in).

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Shit. Time to break out the books again....

You're welcome.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    Listen three times, Bast.

• Options
    I hate to be a killjoy grognard, but even if Elementals were just an off-map calldown, that wouldn't really fit the Clan/Elemental lore very well. Elementals are cocky assholes and mostly crazy, but they aren't outright suicidal and are also a valuable resource; you wouldn't just throw them at an assault mech in the middle of a fight to get some free damage before they all get shot up.

I mean, sure, it would be hilarious, but it wouldn't really fit the Clans or the game. Plus, I can't say I would be fond of homing swarm attacks that don't involve missiles or something.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    haha! i made the right gamble last night. was sitting on my millions of c-bills and decided to dump them into mechs incase they didnt wipe the mechs and cleaned out everyones bank. so now my stables are full of stompy goodness and i only lost about 500k bills.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    and sweet jeebus they put in the weapon ranges! bout damn time.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    haha! i made the right gamble last night. was sitting on my millions of c-bills and decided to dump them into mechs incase they didnt wipe the mechs and cleaned out everyones bank. so now my stables are full of stompy goodness and i only lost about 500k bills.
    OH NOES! Now I will have to play for an hour to get back my vast Scrooge McDuck C-bill fortune! :P

Well, actually it'll probably be more like half an hour now, since everybody, win or lose, gets at least a million C-bills, soooo... yeah, money is even less of a problem now.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Uh ... is the site down or something? Because I wanted to use my beta invite and I can't get onto mwomercs.com. Or is it server maintenance or something?

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    They just patched, so it was probably down for maintenance. Also getting hammered as it comes back up.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Server was down earlier for patching and is currently down due to technical issues. PGI is working on it, but they don't have a estimate for when things will be back up.

• Options
    Countdown to the official forum being filled with people complaining about paying for access to the beta and the servers being down...

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Ok, now it finally worked and I am downloading the client.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    No electronic warfare or Raven, but lots of good stuff in today's patch from the looks of the notes.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    OH NOES! Now I will have to play for an hour to get back my vast Scrooge McDuck C-bill fortune! :P

Well, actually it'll probably be more like half an hour now, since everybody, win or lose, gets at least a million C-bills, soooo... yeah, money is even less of a problem now.

hey! dont discount my win! its not very often i guess things right, even if it does end up being mitigated by cold hard facts. :P

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I actually dug out my Classic BattleTech rulebook the other day and was thumbing through it. This is the recent hardback one, that actually says "Classic BattleTech". I've lost all my original BTech source material over the years, which is a shame, because I had some very early versions of some of the technical manuals (pre-Robotech dust up stuff).

(Oh, I guess it says BattleTech: Total Warfare on the front...whatever, it's the classic TT rules).

Yeah, basically. Total Warfare is the current core rulebook, and while it does have some differences from blue hardback core rules from the mid/late 90s, they are mostly minor revisions. It is current state of the art in table top rules. I'm really fond of the material Catalyst is putting out, both their revisions (in one form or another, any era of BT can be played with Total Warfare plus the corresponding source books) and their new material.

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Man I keep losing connection

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    5 million for my first win! :)

3.5 million to repair my XL 285 engine! D:

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to play right now if anyone's interested. Went through most of the list inviting friends

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Man, now I'm a little sad that I'm going downtown to drink and eat five cent wings instead of playing MWO; oh well, tomorrow should be excellent. I think I'll recycle the Trollback for a bit.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    noticed i got into the closed beta so i gave it a whirl. quickly tried one of the pre-fab mechs and got blown up in 2 matches in a row rather quickly

am I missing like.. a tutorial or something?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Man it really speaks well for this game that it's only a beta, there's only 4 maps and 8 mechs and yet we manage to fill up almost 2 groups a night. Loving this game.

You wouldn't think so from reading the official forums, though. According to them the game is doooooooooomed

That's because official forums are a hive of scum and villainy.

This is why I made it a point at PAX to thank the MWO devs in person for all their hard work and tell them how much fun us PA guys are having with MWO. All the doomsayers on the official boards need to have their teeth kicked in. Unrelated: I bought the 3050 Technical Readouts while I was at the general Catalyst booth and got a sweet MWO shirt. :D

Anyhoo, look at the name of the native voice comms that PGI contracted. I've been laughing about it all day.

Fucking this.

Heck I've thought about buying the technical manual just to look at all the pictures and stuff. How's the art quality (disclosure: Never owned a BT sourcebook before)?

The old 3050 book made by FASA had some pretty fugly art. The Clan mechs tended to be kind of straight-on schematic style drawings.

But Catalyst redid it with the 3050 Upgrade book which is pretty good.

this is quite typical of the 3050 upgrade books artwork:
    461526-axman_super_super.jpg

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    noticed i got into the closed beta so i gave it a whirl. quickly tried one of the pre-fab mechs and got blown up in 2 matches in a row rather quickly

The prefab mechs are total shit. There's no tutorials but there's some guides in the beta forums. Log into the Vent server and chat with folks for good tips.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

The prefab mechs are total shit. There's no tutorials but there's some guides in the beta forums. Log into the Vent server and chat with folks for good tips.
    well that's dumb

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

well that's dumb

Indeed. When one is working on a feature incomplete beta product some months from release, without even all the control options fully implemented, a tutorial is one of the most sensible places to devote ones attention. (I disagree that the pre-fabs are total shit, btw. They aren't great, but many aren't terrible, and they'll get better as some of the more game-breaking balance problems get corrected).

Seriously. it is a beta. Not even an open beta. It is a development beta. Yeah, you pay for founders access, but they are REALLY upfront about how it is a beta, and you need to be willing to put up with that. There are lots of good guides and info out there, but until the game gets closer to release and starts to see the last few rounds of polishing, you shouldn't expect to have it all handed to you on a platter in game. Especially not while the balance is still up in the air, and while several important mechanics are still be worked it.

It is an amazingly polished product at the moment even still (I'd love to know something about the process they are using, personally. It may just be that the team is THAT GOOD, but usually a good process stands behind something like this going as smoothly as this has so far).

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The art assets alone are absolutely phenomenal for a 9 month project. The amount that is added each week is absurd. You have to figure the stuff hung live is spending at least a few weeks internally before being pushed. Which means we are likely seeing stuff worked on in early August right now, ad the matchmaking being from Julyish. This is a superb product for the development time they've had.

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    I'm on the fence about getting the $30 pack; I played the first mechwarrior and loved it; I don't really want to play a twitchy shooter though, I want to pilot a mech. I have enough dexterity testing games at this point. Everything I'm reading points towards this being a really promising game, but could someone please quantify the game-play on a scale of "Eve Online - Decent 2" please? Auto-pilot while selecting carefully configured armaments - shoot the things that move?

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    This is not twitchy at all. You feel like you're controlling a big, plodding machine.