Options

Old MechWarrior Online Thread

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    First game post-patch, 3.5 million C-bills to repair my Hunchback. Fan-fucking-tastic.

• Options
    JPJeezusJPJeezus Registered User regular
    Are the patch notes posted anywhere? I tried looking through the official forums, but nothing really jumped out.

Twitch Steam: twitch.tv/jpjeezus
    Battlenet: JPJeezus #1804
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Is the Grey Death Legion room for certain individuals, or just specific lances working together that don't want extra chatter?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Nah that's just overflow.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So I was in the middle of playing this game and somehow it completely fucked over the mapping of my Corsair K90 keyboard.

The backlighting brightness button became the mute function, the mute button and half the other keys became the backlighting brightness control, and a bunch of the remaining half wouldn't type anything at all.

Also, sometimes random letters would type themselves.

Then my computer BSODed.

I had to unplug the keyboard and use the on-screen keyboard to reboot, since I could no longer properly type my password and the K90 would apparently be sending continuous random signals. Ended up having to totally uninstall the K90 keyboard software and reinstall it.

Now everything seems fine, but I am a little afraid to play MWO again. I have never experienced anything like this and can't imagine how it could even happen.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    This is not twitchy at all. You feel like you're controlling a big, plodding machine.

sold, I plan on plodding like so slow

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Back on the horse. No human interface device apocalypse yet. *Crosses fingers*

However, after experiencing a series of defeats through no fault of my own (last game we started a 'mech up due to disconnects, I got two kills in my Jenner, and my team STILL managed to lose...pubbies, etc.) I now find myself without the funds to repair any of the four 'mechs I own. So now I have to play trial 'mechs just to earn enough cash to get one of my personal rides operational again, I guess? I am trying to be calm because they've said they're playing with the economy and things will change but this seems kind of...TERRIBLE.

• Options
    Further bulletins: Just had a match where my team of 8 went up against a team that rolled with only 4 'mechs due to disconnects. Of those 4, I killed 3. Tally of 19 million C-bills earned in the post-match rundown.

Get back to the garage and I didn't actually receive a single C-bill. FUUUUUU-

Goodnight, MWO, you are too cray for me to deal with this evening.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I am going to start a paper route in my Jenner to pay off my Centy.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    When was the last new 'mech we saw revealed? I am a little worried they have set aside working on new ones. Even with all of the ones revealed so far in-game, the selection will be rather thin IMO.

Edit: It was the Spider in mid-July. :(

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh. If they shoot for releasing a couple mechs a month, they've already announced enough mechs to keep them going for months. They've got to be pretty crunched working on adding/fixing major features every week as well as getting new items in place, which is probably why we're seeing a pretty slow trickle of mechs right now.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    With the 'Mech lab, I'm not sure how important it is to have a vast variety of 'Mechs to choose from, given that there will likely be general redundancies. More 'Mechs would be good, though, because more is always better.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    We're still short one Assault mech to even out all the weight classes.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    Anyone playing this on multiple monitors? I was supremely disappointed that MW4 was unable to support Eyefinity and hopefully this game rectifies it.

It's sad that as long as this technology has been out so many developers simply ignore it completely or throw in some shitty afterthought support (that almost always screws up your HUD). This is the kind of game that Eyefinity was made for.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    i didnt keep an eye on repairs last night. only played a couple quick pubbie games, each in a different ride. I know i have 0 cash still. need to see how bad a shape my mechs are in.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Further bulletins: Just had a match where my team of 8 went up against a team that rolled with only 4 'mechs due to disconnects. Of those 4, I killed 3. Tally of 19 million C-bills earned in the post-match rundown.

Get back to the garage and I didn't actually receive a single C-bill. FUUUUUU-

Goodnight, MWO, you are too cray for me to deal with this evening.

Have you checked your balance again? One of the devs said something to the effect that it can take a little while for rewards to show up after a match. Might be worth taking a look to see if your loot has arrived in the meantime. If not, you should open a ticket and report it!

Also, with repair/rearm costs so high, and such huge potential rewards, it seems like 'Mech costs are almost trivialized? If you can literally rake in 10M+ C-Bills in profit in a single match, it will only take a couple of lucky rounds to be able to afford pretty much anything you want. And on a similar note, what happens if you sell a badly-damaged XL engine rather than paying the millions of C-Bills it costs to repair it? Have they done anything to ensure that repairs are always more cost-effective than simply buying new parts?

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I've been running a Quad LL Catapult-K2, with a medium/fast engine and 30 heat-sinks I can get off a lot of shots before over heating, and even when im in the red-zone i'm ready to fire again within a few seconds.

Firing all 4 lasers at once is a great way to take out limbs. And the accuracy and instant travel time makes it great for backing up assault mechs who are engaging at point blank.

Last time i played I had a SRM catapult sneak up behind me and took a couple shots, I turned around and gave him 4 LL right to the cockpit. I'm sure he was surprised when he went from full to dead.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Uh...so...what the hell is this C3 thing? Because it looks like a clunky 3rd party program for voice chat. And I could really do without a clunky 3rd party program for voice chat.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Uh...so...what the hell is this C3 thing? Because it looks like a clunky 3rd party program for voice chat. And I could really do without a clunky 3rd party program for voice chat.

Yes, it's that. Would probably seem much more attractive if we didn't have awesome people to play with and our own vent server. And if you wanted to be a good beta tester I suppose you could check it out. ;)

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    When was the last new 'mech we saw revealed? I am a little worried they have set aside working on new ones. Even with all of the ones revealed so far in-game, the selection will be rather thin IMO.

Edit: It was the Spider in mid-July. :(

I remember seeing Raven concept art, but both it and the Cicada have appeared in the 'Pilot Lab'. Have we seen Cicada art assets?

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Last night I had a game where i took out 4 mechs solo in a match. The first was a Atlas. Then i took on a Gaussapult and a Dragon at the same time. I took the Gaussapults right arm off in two shots then maneuvered so that I kept him between me and his buddy Dragon. Then finally took out a undamaged AC20 Hunchback guarding their base and did a solo base cap. 1500+ XP

The Atlas pilot asked what I was carrying in my Atlas.

My response: I carry Death

:D

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    I took the Gaussapults right arm off in two shots

Aw, what a shame you wasted two shots. :P

• Options
    And on a similar note, what happens if you sell a badly-damaged XL engine rather than paying the millions of C-Bills it costs to repair it? Have they done anything to ensure that repairs are always more cost-effective than simply buying new parts?

I think repair cost maxes out at 75% of an item's value, so if you sold an XL engine instead of repairing it you'd be losing money.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    The only benefit to large lasers is really the range, yeah? And the fact that they look really cool?

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Well, they do more damage too. Higher heat, but you know - nobody's perfect.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    Larger lasers are

OK

They are still the worst of three laser sizes, but they're not a "If you have these on your 'mech build, you are doing it wrong" deal like they used to be.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Just put together a brawler Atlas with my Founders. 4 medium laser, 2 SRM6, and an AC20.

Managed to get 4 kill shots with him in my last match, with my premium XP bonus, it all told worked out to 1500 XP with the win. Very happy.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ok. lets talk performance. the game runs great 90% of the time on my 7870 at 1280x1024 low and medium. but any time theres fast back and forth motion (say running a jenner or viewing someone running a jenner) it chops all to hell and becomes a slide show.
    i cant see the FPS counter in game either. only in the mechlab. and has the mouse polling issue been fixed yet?

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Mouse polling was fixed a couple of patches ago. What type of CPU do you have? MWO is very core-hungry.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'm running a 5850 on medium at 1600x1050 and while it's not buttery smooth, I don't have any proper fps issues. I like Syngyne suspect it may well be your processor to blame. The game and it's engine have very much been programmed to take full advantage of modern processors.

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    And on a similar note, what happens if you sell a badly-damaged XL engine rather than paying the millions of C-Bills it costs to repair it? Have they done anything to ensure that repairs are always more cost-effective than simply buying new parts?

I think repair cost maxes out at 75% of an item's value, so if you sold an XL engine instead of repairing it you'd be losing money.

But how much do you get from the sale of a damaged part (assuming it allows you to sell damaged stuff)? Is the sale value reduced by damage?

• Options
    Mouse polling was fixed a couple of patches ago. What type of CPU do you have? MWO is very core-hungry.

sweet! ill put my polling back up tonight. CPU is only a Phenom 2 x2. I understand the game really needs a quad, but that shouldnt make it a slide show.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

But how much do you get from the sale of a damaged part (assuming it allows you to sell damaged stuff)? Is the sale value reduced by damage?

When I was forced to sell the XL engines in my Hunchback and Jenner last night because I couldn't afford to repair them, I only got a few hundred thousand C-bills for each.

My repair bills, BTW, went from 3-5 million C-bills per destroyed 'mech with the XL engines down to 1-2 hundred thousand with standard engines.

So roughly speaking, XLs are about 20 times more costly to repair at the moment.

I am entirely in favor of XLs being somewhat more costly to maintain as a balancing factor and reflection of their relative technological advancement and scarcity at this point in the timeline, but I think 2-5 times more expensive would be reasonable. 20 times is absurd.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    What type of CPU do you have? MWO is very core-hungry.

Oh boy, that doesn't sound good. My comp isn't a new one.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

I got a 3.2 Ghz dual core, and while I might never get to run around in a Jenner (though I'm planning on upgrading my RAM to more than 2 gigs to see if that helps) I have little problem with playing fire support, and only a little with close-range slugging.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    The game really needs a quad core to run smooth.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

I got a 3.2 Ghz dual core, and while I might never get to run around in a Jenner (though I'm planning on upgrading my RAM to more than 2 gigs to see if that helps) I have little problem with playing fire support, and only a little with close-range slugging.

I'm running an Intel Core2 Duo E6850, which is 3.0 GHz
    And 4 gigs of RAM. With another Gig of devoted RAM on my Video card (which means the system can only use 3GB).

Close quarter brawls can either be somewhat choppy to very choppy depending on how many mechs are in the brawl. The closer the mechs get, the more chop they create, as the game tries to draw more and more detail on them. A lot of this will be alleviated once they add more customization options.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    The game really needs a quad core to run smooth.

You can get it running acceptably on some dual cores. It's definitely playable on a C2D E8500 at 1650x1080. It's not silky smooth, but I very rarely experience slide shows in close combat like I used to since the last couple of patches.

That being said, I have an i5 3750k coming in later this week.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

I'm running an Intel Core2 Duo E6850, which is 3.0 GHz
    And 4 gigs of RAM. With another Gig of devoted RAM on my Video card (which means the system can only use 3GB).

Close quarter brawls can either be somewhat choppy to very choppy depending on how many mechs are in the brawl. The closer the mechs get, the more chop they create, as the game tries to draw more and more detail on them. A lot of this will be alleviated once they add more customization options.

As an aside, if you're sacrificing 25% of your RAM then you should really consider upgrading to a 64-bit OS.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

When I was forced to sell the XL engines in my Hunchback and Jenner last night because I couldn't afford to repair them, I only got a few hundred thousand C-bills for each.

My repair bills, BTW, went from 3-5 million C-bills per destroyed 'mech with the XL engines down to 1-2 hundred thousand with standard engines.

So roughly speaking, XLs are about 20 times more costly to repair at the moment.

I am entirely in favor of XLs being somewhat more costly to maintain as a balancing factor and reflection of their relative technological advancement and scarcity at this point in the timeline, but I think 2-5 times more expensive would be reasonable. 20 times is absurd.

About the only definite upside is that a Centurion with a standard engine is relatively much better for right now than it was, just on the basis of the cost of repairs. Fights until it's almost nothing, but it doesn't matter much since you'll make money from it basically no matter what.

Also, I'm thinking we need an indicator for "component destroyed" for weapons/equipment as well as body parts. I'd like to know if my crit-seeking machine gun on my Cent is actually doing anything, but it's almost impossible to tell in the heat of battle. I don't think it's doing much, but most fights where I dump MG fire into unarmored sections seem to end up with things like enemies stripped of weapons. I really just don't know if it's my imagination or the damage from the other shots I'm putting out.

EDIT: On the performance front, RAM seems to be far, far less of an issue than have a relatively modern CPU. Running an 5850 video card, I got no appreciable performance upgrade going from 4 to 12 GB RAM, but re-overclocking my 2.6 GHz quad-core to 3.4 GHz saw a big performance boost; now I run in the 40+ FPS range basically at all times with no problems. I dunno how much the engine that MWO utilizes can be optimized, but it's definitely a newer engine and not something like the Unreal engine that can scale to run on a decade-old wet napkin.

Ninja Snarl P on