Options

Old MechWarrior Online Thread

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    All we need is that soothing lady's voice

Left arm... destroyed

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Ask the dev yesterday confirmed they plan to implement Bitchin' Betty. When I first started playing, the game seemed unsettlingly "quiet" compared to previous MechWarrior games. I have grown accustomed to it but the immersion and nostalgia would still be improved greatly by the return of Betty.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Right now I just have a parrot trained to say this sort of stuff that I perch on my shoulder when I play but yeah in the future I'm sure it'll be implemented in a much more integrated fashion.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Didn't see a MW Tactics thread so I'll just drop this in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaxIEY4BDGc&feature=g-all-u

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So WTF? I downloaded the game yesterday, but couldn't get in. So I tried again today. Didn't work. I went to the website, couldn't log in. So I reset my password, then went to the website, logged in and changed it again. I can log into the website just fine. Only when I open the game client and try to login - it simply says "invalid password" and I can't login.

WTF is this?

Closing the game is fucked up as well. There is no Exit button, when I try to close the window it freezes up.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

We have one somewhere around here. I tried MW:T at PAX and it was very...rough still.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

We have one somewhere around here. I tried MW:T at PAX and it was very...rough still.

That was my experience with it at PAX as well. But then again, probably why it was in that side room and not on the floor.

• Options
    There's a link to the MechWarrior: Tactics thread in the OP of this thread.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Bahahaha 13 flamers wtf. That's great. If they just borrow the movement system from megamek the game will be a lot more playable. As rough as it looks I'm stoked; I can see it taking shape in a few month's time.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

That was my experience with it at PAX as well. But then again, probably why it was in that side room and not on the floor.

I think it was more to do with keeping all the BT stuff under one roof which was pretty cool. I spent a considerable amount of time in there. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

I think it was more to do with keeping all the BT stuff under one roof which was pretty cool. I spent a considerable amount of time in there. :D

They could've put it all in a booth, but I wonder if they just didn't plan ahead of time well enough to get the space for a booth...

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

EDIT: On the performance front, RAM seems to be far, far less of an issue than have a relatively modern CPU. Running an 5850 video card, I got no appreciable performance upgrade going from 4 to 12 GB RAM, but re-overclocking my 2.6 GHz quad-core to 3.4 GHz saw a big performance boost; now I run in the 40+ FPS range basically at all times with no problems. I dunno how much the engine that MWO utilizes can be optimized, but it's definitely a newer engine and not something like the Unreal engine that can scale to run on a decade-old wet napkin.

As an armchair expert, I'll chime in that CPU/GPU performance is always the most important thing; RAM is generally only an issue when you run out of it. 4GB is enough for most people 8GB for heavy gamers. Beyond that its really only necessary for developers and artists. Also, with regards to CPUs, the new breed of CPUs (i3/5/7 and the new AMD Fusion chips) are WAY more powerful than their predecessors. I went from an overclocked Q6600 Core 2 Quad to an i3 2100, and it's much faster. That's a nearly-top-end chip from 2 generations ago to the lowest rung on the ladder today; the Q6600 lagged in 4v4 Starcraft II, but there is no choppiness at all now. I've heard similar things about the AMD chips.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    well i guess ill ask for a new processor for my anniversary next month. back to repairs and damage:

played a couple rounds at lunch. Was running my K2 with a 265XL. Got cored in the CT pretty early by 4 vollies of 6 MLas bursts from an Atlas. repair costs were 60k or so and only for armor and internal structure. No component repair. so im guessing you can get cored no problem with taking no item damage.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I would love to have my mech talk to me again. I like "Enemy Detected" and "Emergency Heat Shutdown Imminent...."

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    well i guess ill ask for a new processor for my anniversary next month. back to repairs and damage:

played a couple rounds at lunch. Was running my K2 with a 265XL. Got cored in the CT pretty early by 4 vollies of 6 MLas bursts from an Atlas. repair costs were 60k or so and only for armor and internal structure. No component repair. so im guessing you can get cored no problem with taking no item damage.

If your CT was destroyed, I'm pretty sure your engine should have gone as well. Something must have gone wrong if it really didn't take any damage.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The super helpful search bar only had two pages of Mechwarrior links and all of them pointed to this thread.

EDIT: Of course now that I run the search it shows up. I previously searched Mechwarrior by itself and Mechwarrior Tactics and had no hits to the thread.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm taking a break until they fix the XL engine repair thing. My favorite mech is my Hunchy which uses an XL engine.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    meh. just roll with the group for a few rounds. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Does damage inflicted on a mech after it's "destroyed" count for the purposes of having to repair it?

That is, if someone wanted to be a dick could they camp a downed mech and destroy it entirely?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I'll just wait. I have a zillion other games to play right now, that I need to get a bit out of the way before BL2 comes out...so I'll give PGI some time to play with repair values.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'll just wait. I have a zillion other games to play right now, that I need to get a bit out of the way before BL2 comes out...so I'll give PGI some time to play with repair values.
    But if you keep playing you give them more numbers to do balance assessments with. :D

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    But if you keep playing you give them more numbers to do balance assessments with. :D

The large drop in the number of active players after this patch should give them the only number they need to work with.

• Options
    Might wanna check this out: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/44940-mwo-economy-–-what-you-need-to-know/page__fromsearch__1

Long story short, super-high XL repair costs are intentional. C-Bill income will be gradually increasing as they implement new reward systems with upcoming patches, but XL engines will always be very, very costly to repair. Not too thrilled about that; I think repair costs are a poor choice for a balancing mechanic.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Very very costly is fine.

Very very very very very very very very costly is not.

Again, 2-5 times. NOT 20 times.

If earnings ramp up to the point where XL engines are consistently useable (even if not very profitable), then repair costs with standard engines will be even more negligible than they are now by comparison. I really don't think they want to make repair costs a thing which matters if you use an XL engine but which is completely irrelevant if you don't.

Edit: Got your back, Supra.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Yeah, if it stays the current 20 times, that's a bad decision, and the kind of decision that would make me seriously question PGI's ability to balance this game long term, as a freemium offering.

I agree it should be more expensive to repair than a standard engine...but 20 times is just prohibitive. It means unless you are running with a set group, all the time, you will be losing money rolling an XL engine. That's foolish.

• Options
    OK I just invited every fucking person on the spreadsheet, with the exception of like 4 people who the game said didn't exist and possibly other people whose nick I mistyped without noticing the error message. So if someone named "tychocelchuuu" friended you that's what's up. If they delete our friends list at any point I'm going to be slightly irritated.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Well, they said they were planning to add more cash bonuses, maybe that will help with the price?

...but yeah, you should make money when you win, full stop, no (or at least, very very few) exceptions. I can understand how there should be a risk/reward for piloting more expensive mechs, but comming out on top with 2m+ in C-Bill rewards but still losing half a mil after repairs because someone managed to damage your XL engine is not fun for anyone.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    The cost is ridiculous. I started today with 10.4 million. Lost one game and was down to 7.2 million credits.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012

If your CT was destroyed, I'm pretty sure your engine should have gone as well. Something must have gone wrong if it really didn't take any damage.

I can't speak to MWO, but I think in TT it didn't used to work that way (with the caveat that I quit playing a little after the Clans came in). Destroying all the internal structure of an arm, for example, wouldn't cause any ammunition stored there to explode and wipe out the entire 'Mech, it just removed functionality from the arm and the components in it. And in the MW RPG only actual crit rolls scored against a weapon slot would cause it to be damaged or destroyed, which was important for calculating repair costs.

EDIT: But destroying the side torsos did blow up XL engines. Why was that?

I searched around, and it looks like there was a clearer wording put in during the Wizkids era (or else I had completely forgotten at some point), which specifically says that wiping out a section doesn't cause ammunition to explode, but otherwise does crit every item in the location. My bad.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I think the more interesting tidbit in supra's link is that starting next week, MC doesn't come back. Need to start getting smart with using it.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Just ran my XL-equipped Catapult.

got the 2 mil rewards (2.1 mil to be exact, no kills but a couple of assists as I stayed back at our base, the airport in River City shooting at anything that stuck their head out) but a nasty Jenner and a silly Catapult came up and stripped my CT armor off. damage indicator was at yellow when we one

Get to the Mechlab, and find that the XL engine was at 56%, and repairs for that alone was 1.6 mil, and I only got that 2.1 because I had the forsight to use the free MC I got to upgrade to premium. Without it, I would have likly only broke even, playing the mech in almost exactly the way I'm suppose to.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    All this talk about repair costs is making me have two reactions.

1) I'm really glad I'll be playing with an organized group and rolling the enemy constantly, thus minimizing to a certain degree the amount to which I have to care about this stuff.

2) It's really unfortunate that this has to be a thing in an MMO. MMOs are inherently grindy because they want to keep you playing, and F2P ones are often twice as bad because it's really easy to offer C-Bill/XP bonuses for real money that people will buy to lessen the grind. Compared to something like MW:LL, which makes you earn C-Bills but which does it in a no-bullshit manner that's consistent throughout each match instead of reliant on a metagame and on whether you've paid cash, something like MWO just seems like it will encourage the wrong kind of behavior (I could do this which would help us win or I could do this which is less helpful but which will leave me undamaged!) and it also seems like it will add tedium and worry to what I would prefer to be a more carefree playing experience.

Of course if repair costs end up low enough that it's not a huge deal then it won't matter, but if they cost enough to actually make a difference then I could see that getting real irritating.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Not to be a Debbie downer, but everyone laughed at me when I said that running expensive mechs was going to give negative c-bill flow on a typical match. This is exactly how they're going to get you to pay for premium membership. Everyone was so sure that you were going to make money every match. I assumed that they were going to base repair cost mainly on class of mechs, but apparently they went with specific components repair cost.

Honestly I'd rather they just base earnings flow on chassis rather than components, because right now it seems like in order to make money you have to run a sub-optimal non-XL engine build.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012

i quit after that match. i logged in later to find my guy still had damage. all of it engine. 3.6 mil. ouch.
    im glad XLs are so, expensive. not much use for standard engines, otherwise.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Hydro, your post threw up all over the thread.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Lowlander wrote: »
    Not to be a Debbie downer, but everyone laughed at me when I said that running expensive mechs was going to give negative c-bill flow on a typical match. This is exactly how they're going to get you to pay for premium membership. Everyone was so sure that you were going to make money every match. I assumed that they were going to base repair cost mainly on class of mechs, but apparently they went with specific components repair cost.

Honestly I'd rather they just base earnings flow on chassis rather than components, because right now it seems like in order to make money you have to run a sub-optimal non-XL engine build.

Who says a mech has to have an XL engine to be optimal?

I mean, you're not going to have an Atlas designed for slugging carry and XL, since take damage as it dishes it out is kinda what an Atlas does best. Can't fit an AC/20 or double up on any balistics larger than a MG on your torso with an XL taking up space either.

...and once they add Endo Steel structure, Ferro-Fiberous armor, and double heatsinks (all of which follow the same "less weight, more space" avantage that XL engines do) then we might come across a situation where we are pick up the standard engine to free up the space for the weapons, not the XL for the extra tonnage :D

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Oh, I'm not saying that the XL engine is the be all and end all. Certainly cost is going to be a consideration now, and if people decide that they don't gain enough effectiveness to offset the cost (and coring problems), they're going to avoid using them. On the other hand, Endo steel, ferro fibrous, and double heat sinks are going to be costly to repair as well.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So somehow without an announced patch, my standard engine 'mechs went from costing 1-200k to repair last night to 6-700k to repair tonight.

Ugh.

My enthusiasm is also not helped by getting stuck with utterly feeble PUG teammates over and over these past two nights. I know, I know, get a headset and run with the PA crew. I'm sure that's fun for a while, but effortlessly rolling teams of pubbies simply by virtue of being able to communicate and knowing my ass from a hole in the ground doesn't sound like something that would remain entertaining in the long term.

And if and when this game ever actually publicly launches, it's going to be flooded with incompetents more than ever. Jesus.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    The single match repair costs for the XL engine alone can easily outstrip what you make for winning a match. Most times people are breaking even, sometimes you make a bit.

That's stupid. There are no two ways to slice that. That's bad game design, at a fundamental level. If this is their make money plan, it sucks, and I regret buying in to this.