As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Figuring out how to work from home

KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been a SAHM for a year and a half now, and while I love it, our finances are always stretched. I have an advanced degree in a field I've been feeling disenfranchised with for a while now (molecular bio) so I know I can always fall back on that, but I would rather work from home. We don't need a massive amount of money, just some extra cash for savings and buffer.

I'm intrigued by data entry because I'm a great typist and a fast learner with computers, but there's a lot of scammy crap out there. Has anyone done anything like this before who could offer me some guidance? The most optimal thing is a job that would allow me to stay at my MIL's while she keeps an eye on the kid and I can work parts of the day using free child care. Thanks!

Killgrimage on

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Data entry will pay absolute garbage. Real WFH roles are mostly analysts (such as myself) who deal with a lot of people in a lot of different places, making it immaterial where you reside. SysAdmins and Programmers can also do it, as they mostly work via code check-ins and whatnot. I will say that the best WFH gigs are those you get after working at a company for a bit and earning their trust, as it's somewhat rare to get WFH right off the bat, due to the inability of some people to motivate themselves.

• supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Web application development is where the money is. Learn to code for popular CMS systems like Wordpress and Drupal. Coding iPad/Android apps also pays well and will provide years of steady work.