Options

Pillars of Eternity: I updated the FUCK out of the OP, everyone! [Obsidian's New RPG]

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

Does anyone remember what Darklands did with banks?

Anyway, I think it can be done well, it's possible. We already have Fallout games making people calculate weight-to-value for loot; they just continue to heave weightless trading currencies (I wonder how much a hundred thousand bottlecaps should weigh...) to roll them into.

I loved Darklands (especially the local and regional fame system) but I'm not sure about the bank exploit? Also, back my ancient DnD days (last thing I played was 2nd Edition when it was brand new), about 50 coins equaled a pound.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Some people on neoGAF brought up Chronepsis. From wikipedia:
    Chronepsis is truly neutral in all things, dispassionate and unconcerned with the unfolding of events. He observes, but does not act except to guide the spirits of dragons into the afterlife. While he is a god of "eternal law," he cares nothing for justice, as Lendys does. Chronepsis never speaks or communicates. Chronepsis is said to know the future and how all things will end, but he will not reveal this knowledge to others.

The Watcher, as Chronepsis is known, appears as a colorless dragon with dull, decaying skin through which yellowed bones poke, making him an outsider in the struggle between metallic and chromatic dragonkind. A magical brass harp hovers above his head.

Chronepsis is variously described as the son or brother of Io. The two gods are represented together as a dragon with nine heads consuming its own nine tails. In some draconic myths, Chronepsis is seen as a re-enfolding that mirrors and perfectly balances Io's extension of being into the worlds. As Io becomes all things, Chronepsis draws all things back to himself.

Chronepsis counts other faiths neither as allies nor as enemies. Boccob has a similar outlook to his, but they are not allied.

Very interplanar. What are the chances of the game being set in Greyhawk and not FR? Man, I wish mortellan could drop by.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Avellone tweeted:
    Lazy time travelers often choose the past of least resistance.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    ah man, time travel? It's so easy to do time travel wrong. I mean, a lot of good stories involve it, but even more of those stories than usual are crap becuase of unexplained paradox.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    C2B wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    With the Ouroboros symbol and the recent Kotaku interview with Avellone on what a spiritual sequel to Planescape would look like. I'm kinda inclined that's what were in store for .

Read the article again, he specifically mentions its not going to be their first kickstarter project.

Also, Chris would probably be leading the project if it was the Planescape Sequel. Josh Sawyer is spearheading this one.

Ah ok, on the bolded.

And yeah I posted that link fully having read this line" So even though this wouldn't be an Obsidian Kickstarter, here are my thoughts on a Torment spiritual successor:" . I don't think I said kickstarter anywhere?

Egos on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    ah man, time travel? It's so easy to do time travel wrong. I mean, a lot of good stories involve it, but even more of those stories than usual are crap becuase of unexplained paradox.

It's also possible to do time travel extremely right: See Radiant Historia.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    It's Friday. Yeah!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    GOG has some D&D deals up today, which strikes me an interesting coincidence

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    I would be pretty surprised/disappointed if it was D&D as they said in recent interviews that they would go for a original IP if they did a kickstarter. And at that point they were probably already in the process of doing this thing. (Sawyer seems to have immediatly moved on to this)

Ah, yes. Watch Gamebanshee today too. They will have exclusive stuff and apparently Buck (Chief Editor of Gamebanshee) had something to do with Obsidian choosing to do this one.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Well, BGEE comes out next week too, so it might just be in celebration of that.

Do we know what time today we'll find out what this is?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    If it was time travel, something like what Meantime was supposed to be would be awesome.

• Options
    2 and a half hours to go

6r2AE.gif

• Options
    Obsidians Sites goin' crazy at the moment

• Options
    Yeah, a guy in GAF made an awful prank so a lot of people jumped in. Add in the site update, it is gonna get crowded in there.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Damn, the internet is gonna freak out in a few minutes. Good luck Mr. Sawyer.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options

Do you know something?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Do you know something?

Probably not, its just the internet always goes nuts for game announcements, even if they are announcing they'll annouce.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    @C2B

Well Gaf is gonna freak out. :)

Haha, Durante posted this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    So goddamn hyped now. Please deliver Obsidian.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    @C2B

Well Gaf is gonna freak out. :)

To be honest I'm not a fan of the majority of GAF.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Project Eternity is an isometric, party-based RPG set in a new fantasy world developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

edit: Link removed due to the kickstarter rule

EVOL on
  • Options
  • Options
    It already has 4 backers ($380). And counting.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Tim Cain is on it too!!!!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    First 25000 people can get a copy of the game for a $20 now...yeah probably gonna take that bet.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options

Project Eternity is based on an original game universe by Obsidian Entertainment's Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer, Tim Cain, and Adam Brennecke.
    The game is a top-down party-based RPG heavily inspired by Infinity Engine-style games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.
    Instead of 3D graphics, Project Eternity uses 2D pre-rendered and hand-painted backdrops, just like old Infinity Engine titles, but improved by modern technology.
    Project Eternity uses its own rule set built from the ground-up by Obsidian, and features party-based, real-time-with-pause tactical combat.
    The character system will feature not just extensive combat abilities, but non-combat ones as well, from diplomacy to deception.
    The game features adult subject matter and will explore social and political issues that some other RPGs shy away from.
    Project Eternity features voice acting as "flavor", while allowing for extensive, reactive conversation trees in the style of Planescape: Torment.
    Players take on the role of a single fixed character and are accompanied by companions throughout the game, similar to Baldur's Gate.
    The game will be funded on Kickstarter in a manner similar to Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns.
    Project Eternity is PC-exclusive, and will be later ported to Mac and Linux.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    So will this game play any better than the Dragon Age games

Because if not I am already out

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    The video looks positive.

It gives me a Dragon Age vibe. Hope they do the Gaelic-Breton setting better than Bioware does.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Well have you played any infinity engine games? Because it will probably play identically but with a better UI and resolution.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Haha whoops briefly forgot I was the OP for this thread. Update incoming. Gotta check with Tube to see if we can keep the thread because there's a no Kickstarter rule :(

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Edit: Continue this one, ok.

C2B on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I mean, I'm sure this'll be cool, but there's nothing in that announcement that blows my mind or anything, and the art in the video looked like pretty much run of the mill fantasy art.

• Options
    Already over 12K, wow.

Now with Shadowrun, Wasteland and this I'm in isometric nirvana.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I say just change the title of this thread. Also, this is the first ever project I backed via Kickstarter. I am happy to support proven developers working on an isometric RPG.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Project Eternity is based on an original game universe by Obsidian Entertainment's Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer, Tim Cain, and Adam Brennecke.
    The game is a top-down party-based RPG heavily inspired by Infinity Engine-style games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.
    Didn't even make it past that. $20 pledged.

• Options
    I'm going to back $35. I'll get this done, damnit.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    They are at 28k in 16 minutes. Very impressive.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Holy crap, it's going at two thousand dollars a minute.