As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

cmd /v:on /c "set TITLE=Programming Thread & echo !TITLE!"

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    There's always ye olde blog system, with categories, tags and comments. Should get you started at least.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's pretty easy to segue from the basic blog system into some kind of game-oriented content management.

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I don't get Java's aversion to operator overloading when they support string + string

Yeah, that's a bit odd. One of many such Javoddities.

I don't like operator overloading in general (especially not when using + for both numeric addition and string concatenation, because those are fundamentally different operations), but a language designed to support OOP really ought to offer it, even if they discourage its use.

borb_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The joys of modern computing. I have my Kubuntu virtual machine running on my second monitor, where I am doing some Rails development. On my main screen, I am playing Dota 2 on my Windows desktop. Since I have a decent machine, I'm able to dedicate two CPU's and 4 GB of RAM to the VM, so it's pretty much native responsiveness.

I am seriously considering putting a dedicated VM drive in my box, so my Linux dev VM can have a dedicated drive and I/O channel.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The joys of modern computing. I have my Kubuntu virtual machine running on my second monitor, where I am doing some Rails development. On my main screen, I am playing Dota 2 on my Windows desktop. Since I have a decent machine, I'm able to dedicate two CPU's and 4 GB of RAM to the VM, so it's pretty much native responsiveness.
    I am seriously considering putting a dedicated VM drive in my box, so my Linux dev VM can have a dedicated drive and I/O channel.

My home setup is a phenom II 1090 8gb workstation + 3 screens and an overclocked phenom 2 555 with 6GB that runs 3 separate virtual machines(2x2gb, 1x1gb) - a media server, a full development server and a backup server with the sole purpose of synchronizing with 2 linodes. No windows in sight, though.

edited September 2012
    I play too many games to not run Windows as my host OS. I have a dedicated NAS server using on an old Opteron 165 with 2GB of RAM running FreeBSD (soon to be replaced by a dedicated NAS enclosure, since getting hardware for this is getting tougher and tougher, and I've never taken the time to figure out DLNA on FreeBSD). I like being able to run a dedicated Kubuntu development VM on my primary PC. Since I have 16GB of RAM and an i5-2500K, it pretty much doesn't break a sweat running two desktop OS's at the same time.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Virtualization is a gift from the gods.

Trying out PC-BSD now as well. If I can get Sublime Text up and running easily in it, I will probably delete the Kubuntu VM and just use FreeBSD essentially.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Saeris wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    I don't get Java's aversion to operator overloading when they support string + string

Yeah, that's a bit odd. One of many such Javoddities.

I don't like operator overloading in general (especially not when using + for both numeric addition and string concatenation, because those are fundamentally different operations), but a language designed to support OOP really ought to offer it, even if they discourage its use.

That is why I don't really agree with "lets avoid the foot-shooting stuff" in language design.

It is like saying "if people are given the ability to put syllables together, they're start talking gibberish, so let us just get rid of syllables and hand them a dictionary."

When the better solution is a smack to the back of the head when people abuse stuff. Limiting things has its downsides, but often it is even worse in that it masks better understanding that people otherwise might glean by being exposed to what is really going on. (Less so the latter in something like operator overloading, imo.)

You can't protect people from themselves and still have them be productive. It is a pretty trivial exercise to demonstrate how bad I can fuck up anything you give me, other than a padded cell and no contact with the outside world.

HEY I JUST WROTE A METHOD FOO THAT IS OVERLOADED SO WHEN IT IS PASSED AN INTEGER IT SENDS IT OVER A SOCKET I OPENED AND WHEN ITS A STRING IT PREFIXES IT TO THE STRING REPRESENTATION OF MY USER OBJECT, TAKE THAT JAVA YOU CAN'T STOP ME.

It is not the responsibility of the language to provide responsibility for what someone writes, but the responsibility of another to smack said someone.

OrokosPA.png
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    Well said. I think language designers ought to focus on creating features with sane (if not downright reasonable) syntax and control flow. They should leave it up to developers working in the language to select from among those features the ones which make the most sense for a given task.

Ultimately, it's always going to be trivial to do really stupid things in any language. Crippling a language, either functionally (Java, PHP) or syntactically (PHP, JavaScript, VB, C++), to make it easier to learn is not really doing anyone a favor.

borb_sig.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else using XCode regularly?

In XCode 4.5, the Team Provisioning Profile functionality seems to have either been gutted or changed substantially.

I am adding new devices to the portal and the profile is not getting updated... and the place where you used to force an update is missing in XCode 4.5

ST2 is suddenly using the system ruby to build instead of letting rbenv deal with it.

Restart ST2. Now it doesn't build ruby at all. 8->

Echo wrote: »
    It is known.

A3-IJxpCQAEk1J3.png:large

you can type in almost any concept in computer programming and get a similar readout

re: language design

I look for flexibility and consistency between languages. I appreciate languages that try to hold up to at least some sort of "norm" in terms of operators and syntax and organization, and eschew ones that are different just for the sake of being different, and I give huge bonus points to the languages that let you do something in a variety of ways. Being able to build a string 8 different ways does NOT bother me. In fact I appreciate it.

I understand the intense irony in that statement given I am paid to do Objective-C for a living... but in my opinion the Objective-C Foundation wins pretty hard in the flexibility category

as far as I'm concerned the farther away you get from C# the worse it will be

I've become a total convert over the past 18 months. I haven't written anything non-C# at home in a while

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    so uhh this should be a dumb question but is there some magic to returning strings in Java?
    particularly I'm doing something like:
    String test = "";
    while (read) {
    test.concat(functionThatDefinitelyReturnsAString());
    }
    print test; // empty string

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Welcome to JAVA :rotate:

Strings are immutable, so you probably need

test = test.concat(functionThatDefinitelyReturnsAString());

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Welcome to JAVA :rotate:

Strings are immutable, so you probably need

test = test.concat(functionThatDefinitelyReturnsAString());

Correctamundo.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    derp. Can I simply += that?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Probably

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    if not, :rotate:

edited October 2012
    thanks! The things you learn and forget by the next time you use them...

acidlacedpenguin on
    having to assign the product of a string method like that is hardly exclusive to Java

Jasconius wrote: »
    having to assign the product of a string method like that is hardly exclusive to Java

It's exclusive to any language that has immutable strings.

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

it's more about java's lack of closures than string immutability....

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Non sequitur: I need to stop sucking at linux

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    So if I want to brush up on C++ and C programming, are there any websites that provide a decent overview? I mean, I have my old C programming book and my gf probably has an old C++ book I can skim through, but if there's a website I can use while I'm commuting it would be preferable over lugging those bricks around >.<

工事中
    edited October 2012
    It puts the model-related code in the model instead of in the controller or else it gets the hose.

Echo on
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Anyone here every try to get cProfile to run a celery task to profile it?

Just solved my initial problem seconds after posting, but have a second one. So now I can get cProfile to run my task, but if I just call cProfile.runctx('my_task(arg)', globals(), locals()) it runs (although I'm not sure it's right to pass globals and locals, but otherwise it won't run it at all) but it's not asynchronous which will make a mess of everything. If I do cProfile.runctx('mytask.delay(arg)', globals(), locals()) then it only profiles Task.delay() and not the actual running of my task since that happens asynchronously.

The best I can come up with right now is to create a new celery task called profiler_task() or something. Then that task could run asynchronously and run my_task() synchronously inside it. I'm not a fan of the code changes that will require though (not sure they're actually significantly worse than the other way) and celery's logs will just have a bunch of profiler_task tasks logged instead of the real task.

Jimmy King on
    Because reasons I ended up reading this PHP bug report from 2005.

Spotted this comment:
    In my optinion, the finally clause is a more elegant solution, although it might be *too sophisticated* for PHP...

PHP. :rotate:

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Source Code Pro semibold looks pretty slick in VS2010:

scp.JPG

Pretty funny how we all use Son of Obsidian, or something similar (mine is SoO, modified slightly for line number colors, comment color, and highlighted line color).

EDIT: Is clicking on the image bringing anyone else to the source? It's not doing the resize-in-place for me.

Nightslyr on
    It's not doing resize in place, no...(and I still prefer Consolas)

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Microsoft might be evil, and they might have recently replaced all their UI usability people with a potato, but damn if they don't make/buy some nice fonts. Segoe and Consolas are nearly ideal, to me.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    edited October 2012
    Microsoft's UI design is almost entirely data/focus driven these days, so that's why the decisions are going to seem odd to most "computer people". I read an article the other day about how Blizzard has gone to an entirely data driven development process, and I think it applies equally well to Microsoft. To us, it's going to seem like they replaced their UI people with a potato, because it wasn't designed for us. It was designed for what Microsoft's data shows to be 85% of computer users, or whatever their data shows (completely random internet number).

That said, I'll never understand the Windows 8 hate. I use it daily at home and I find it works swimmingly, and I've learned to even *gasp* like the new Start Area.

GnomeTank on
    Microsoft's UI design is almost entirely data/focus driven these days, so that's why the decisions are going to seem odd to most "computer people". I read an article the other day about how Blizzard has gone to an entirely data driven development process, and I think it applies equally well to Microsoft. To us, it's going to seem like they replaced their UI people with a potato, because it wasn't designed for us. It was designed for what Microsoft's data shows to be 85% of computer users, or whatever their data shows (completely random internet number).

Which is probably true but absolute bizarre when they apply it to an IDE.

OrokosPA.png
    Did they apply it to an IDE? Visual Studio 2012 acts exactly like Visual Studio 2010 for me, other than the colors and ALL UPPERCASE FONT.

Shortcuts are the same, menus are in the same place, no ribbon bar. At worst, they rolled in the VS 2010 powertools as full features, like the Solution Navigator.

Did they apply it to an IDE? Visual Studio 2012 acts exactly like Visual Studio 2010 for me, other than the colors and ALL UPPERCASE FONT.

Shortcuts are the same, menus are in the same place, no ribbon bar. At worst, they rolled in the VS 2010 powertools as full features, like the Solution Navigator.

Hay devs I heard contrast was painful so we made everything one shade of gray ENJOY.

That and the UPPERCASE MENU stuff and it is like what, why did you bother changing any of these things? I mean, you only tweaked a few things, it wasn't an accident, so what the hell were you doing exactly here?

Don't mean the exact same things, just saying "UI potatoes what the hell are you doing?"

OrokosPA.png
    Well, you can just change it to Dark in the settings, which is much easier on the eyes. That's something VS 2012 can do.

I can't help with the uppercase, and I agree it's dumb.

I really want VS12 to show up in my MSDNAA account before December so I can get it while I'm still a student.

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    *mutter*mutter*legacy support*mutter*mutter*

We've got some cross compiling tools which only install on versions of VS up to 2005, which means that I split my C++ dev time between various flavours of Visual Studio (potentially combined with various versions of Qt).

*mutter*legacy*mutter*

I'm torn, because I'd love to try out 2012, but I swear, if I have to install Yet Another Version of Visual Studio on this computer...

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Microsoft just needs to realize that different things will require a different type of UI approach.

Hopefully they learn this before they release touch only Visual Studio 2013.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    I was using 2005/2008/2010 daily at my previous site.

Now I don't use it at all!

The closest thing I've had to an IDE at work in the past year and a half is SSMS.

OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.