As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    PAX XP is a meta-game where you can gain a prize by finding all of the clues throughout pax.
    There's a thread about it here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/182026/pax-prime-13-guidebook-qr-code

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    whats PAX XP?

It's a QR code game. If you can find all the PAX XP QR codes that fill in the words in the guidebook, you get a PAX XP key chain.

Edit: Looks like its a bit different. Instead of words, it's part of an image now.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • LinkavichLinkavich Gary Motha-Fuckin Oak Registered User regular
    whats PAX XP?

Check for my thread about the QR code. That's what its about.

I'm a turtle wrangler. I wrangle turtles.
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    PAX XP is a meta-game where you can gain a prize by finding all of the clues throughout pax.
    There's a thread about it here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/182026/pax-prime-13-guidebook-qr-code
    I heard a rumor a few months ago that the PAX XP game would be completely revamped for Prime. I do not know if this has happened though, so it may be the familiar, "find QR codes, complete a phrase, get a prize," game. I should know more soon (but may not be able to post about it before the show opens).

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    I think some of that might be discussed in that other thread, but not sure what form it will take exactly.

• RoiRoi Registered User new member
    edited August 2013
    Hi, I might be buying a pass in the near future and want to protect myself from buying a counterfeit. Aside from buying on-site, what other measures can I enact to protect myself from being scammed? Are there any known methods for this year to determine the legitimacy of a badge?

What are ways to determine the legitimacy of a badge?

Roi on
    Roi wrote: »
    Hi, I might be buying a pass in the near future and want to protect myself from buying a counterfeit. Aside from buying on-site, what other measures can I enact to protect myself from being scammed? Are there any known methods for this year to determine the legitimacy of a badge?

I don't think they allow talk about buying badges from third parties.

• contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    The only confirmed method for 3rd party sales protection is to have them check the badge on site.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    Vapokdyaballikl
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Roi wrote: »

Yeah, I wouldn't discuss badge security on the forums. If you have concerns about a badge, the best way is to buy onsite and have it checked. You can stop by the Information Booth or stop at the Weapons Check Booth, both of which should have people available to discuss the authenticity of badges.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • PoulpePoulpe Registered User new member
    I'm in a rough spot. I live in Canada, and ordered badges for myself and a number of friends. Now I've received all my passes, but there's a good chance that two of my friends can't make it. I was referred to this forum as apparently in previous years there were "get rid of my unwanted pass" threads, but now I've learned it explicitly says in the rules that buying/selling badges on the forum is forbidden.

These are genuine passes and I feel scuzzy trying to scalp them for more than they're worth, I just want to get my money back really. What is the "official" avenue to go down to do this?

edited August 2013
    Poulpe wrote: »
    I'm in a rough spot. I live in Canada, and ordered badges for myself and a number of friends. Now I've received all my passes, but there's a good chance that two of my friends can't make it. I was referred to this forum as apparently in previous years there were "get rid of my unwanted pass" threads, but now I've learned it explicitly says in the rules that buying/selling badges on the forum is forbidden.

These are genuine passes and I feel scuzzy trying to scalp them for more than they're worth, I just want to get my money back really. What is the "official" avenue to go down to do this?

Zerz (I think) has said that your best bet is to contact the [email protected] to see if they can give you a refund.

Linkavich on
  • RoiRoi Registered User new member
    Linkavich wrote:
    I don't think they allow talk about buying badges from third parties.

Better? :P I figured it was okay since I wasn't asking to buy, just adding some background for the question. I also have seen similar veins of conversation in the archives and a related question earlier in this thread so I figured it was okay. If it isn't, feel free to nuke my post or slap me on the wrist or whatever.

It's probably too late to get a refund at this point.

Verifying the authenticity of badges is only doable via in person inspection by Enforcers at PAX.

If you need to offload badges, there really isn't an official method of doing so, sorry.

• PocketJellyPocketJelly Fraser Valley, British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    What are the rules regarding chairs in lineups? Would I be allowed to have a small folding stool to sit on?

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    What are the rules regarding chairs in lineups? Would I be allowed to have a small folding stool to sit on?
    Should be fine. A lot of people will bring compact chairs. As long as you're not blocking walkways or doorways, we tend to be ok with such things.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    PocketJelly
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Should be fine. A lot of people will bring compact chairs. As long as you're not blocking walkways or doorways, we tend to be ok with such things.

Just make sure it's small. I've seen some people asked to fold up their chairs because they brought one that looked like a la-z-boy and took up enough space where 4 or 5 people could stand.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    PocketJelly
    Yeah, I would say the common sense rule is that the chair can't take up any more space than if you were sitting on the floor.

PocketJellyadias.angelClix
  • PrivateNewbiePrivateNewbie Registered User regular
    What's the word on the tournament schedules?

I have run multiple searches on the keyword tournament and haven't been able to turn anything up.

Thanks.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    PrivateNewbie
    There's also a sticky at the top of this section with a great deal of that information in it.

I was checking the Location Legend from the Schedule section of the main paxsite. I can assure you, I checked the sticky during my search.

edited August 2013
    Oh, yeah, it's not on the pax main site, but the link from whypick was in the table of contents sticky :)

zerzhul on
    Right on, thanks folks.

• SSnakeAceSSnakeAce Registered User new member
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    SSnakeAce wrote: »
    On the subject of concerts:

Does anyone know exactly who Supergiant is, in the context of the special performance? I'm assuming this is Supergiant Games doing a Bastion/Transistor performance?
    I don't know anymore than you do, but Supergiant Games' Amir Rao has performed his classic Bind Those Keys at PAX before.

Hmmm. Interesting that no one really knows.

Also, asking again: Is it safe to assume that the band order as listed on the schedule for the concerts is indeed the order they will play in?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Also, asking again: Is it safe to assume that the band order as listed on the schedule for the concerts is indeed the order they will play in?

That would be a safe assumption.

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »

That would be a safe assumption.
    actually, maybe not this time. if you reallllly want to know, i can tell you day-of. ask for me at main theatre (as for dya) and i can let you know then. some shifting is bound to occur with some of the bigger ensembles, tis the nature of the beast.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • garnothgarnoth Registered User new member
    Weapon question for costume. Would a sword in a full leather scabbard be allowed? I asked pax_questions and they pointed me back to the faq for weapons. I have a metal sword (dull) fully enclosed in a leather scabbard. Would the booth zip-tie the sword in and allow it?

It sounds like they just don't want people accidentally bumping into things to get hurt, which would be fine if it's in the scabbard. I just wanted to double check

• zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    garnoth wrote: »
    Weapon question for costume. Would a sword in a full leather scabbard be allowed? I asked pax_questions and they pointed me back to the faq for weapons. I have a metal sword (dull) fully enclosed in a leather scabbard. Would the booth zip-tie the sword in and allow it?

It sounds like they just don't want people accidentally bumping into things to get hurt, which would be fine if it's in the scabbard. I just wanted to double check
    I want to say you won't have an issue with this but it is up to the security staff to make the final decision.

It seems you have already read the PAX Costume Weapons policy located here yes? Maybe someone else can give more insight.

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the FAQ clearly states that any sharp object is not allowed.

- It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce such as a Little Sister syringe made of wood.

I don't think it'll get in, even with a zip tie.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    garnoth wrote: »

As stated in the policy, all real swords will not be allowed. Even dull swords can actually pierce someone with moderate pressure. If you are modifying it to where it will be secured in the scabbard, and on your person, then you can make a case for it on-site at the convention center. The Weapons Check Booth will be located on the 4th Floor of the WSCC next to the Info Booth Bunker.

No individual cases will be said "allowed" or "not allowed" on the forums. Only on-site inspection. Rule of thumb.. if you have to ask about it, even after reading the Costume Weapon Policy, then it's safe to say you shouldn't bring it. Common sense prevails.

As a reminder, the Weapon Policy is:
    AaronC wrote:
    The official policy is (and will eventually be posted on the FAQ):

A COSTUME WEAPON IS *NOT* PERMITTED AT PAX IF:

- It fires or can fire any sort of projectile. {Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and can not fire)

- It is airsoft, even if deactivated

- It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)

- It's sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce such as a Little Sister syringe made of wood.

Please note the last, Little Sister syringes that are made of wood are not allowed because you can accidentally poke someone, especially in the Expo hall. If the syringe part is made of rubber instead it would be totally acceptable.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    So on the letter i received with my badges as well as on the badges itself it says expo hall closes at 6pm and pax closes at 12am? previous years it went untill 2am, is this a misprint or does it really close 2 hours early this year?

Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
    PAX does indeed close around midnight now. But there's also a 4th day now, so more hours total!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So on the letter i received with my badges as well as on the badges itself it says expo hall closes at 6pm and pax closes at 12am? previous years it went untill 2am, is this a misprint or does it really close 2 hours early this year?

PAX does close at midnight Fri/Sat/Sun this year, yes.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • TeganJTeganJ Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    It closes two hours earlier, but we have an extra day, so we're netting more hours overall.

PAX West 2016: Badges [x] Pre-PAX Dinner: [x] TWDT: [x] Slytherin DE House Elf Cookies baked for Cookie Brigade: TBD August 2016
    there *is* a misprint on the letter though. PAX closes at 7pm on monday, not 12am.

jaberwockynmt
  • d_vanderweld_vanderwel Registered User new member
    I think I lost my email that had my confirmation number and barcode, would I be able to get it sent again? [email protected] hasn't been answering me at all :(

• QuiptoriumQuiptorium Beaverton, ORRegistered User regular
    I think I lost my email that had my confirmation number and barcode, would I be able to get it sent again? [email protected] hasn't been answering me at all :(

If you log into your ShowClix account, there's an option to have your receipt emailed to you again.

If you log into your ShowClix account, there's an option to have your receipt emailed to you again. [/quote]

...I don't think I have a ShowClix account

• superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DE Santa barbara, CARegistered User regular
    My friend was telling me that at a recent PAX, there was a room/area where you could go in and basically play Pathfinder for an hour with a pre-gen character. Anyone know about this, and if its scheduled for this year?

In the strangest of ways...
    Nevermind, all fixed! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.