As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

*Personal* grooming question?

InxInx Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, I guess this question is directed primarily at the gents, but if any ladies have some relevant information go ahead and post.

For about a year now, I've been trimming down my pubic hair. I've been using a beard trimmer, I don't remember the make or model, but it looked like a dumbed down version of the buzzers they use at pro hair places - looked something like this. Anyway, the damn thing has gone completely missing on me. I have no idea where the hell it went. I'm thinking my brother may have nabbed it or something thinking it was his, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm in the market for a new trimmer/shaver, specifically for -that area- as I shave my face with a straight razor and I don't really want to figure out how to use a straight near my jewels. This may also be a bit of a blessing in disguise, as I was never fully satisfied with the results I got with my old shaver - the results were always kinda stubbly, even on the closest setting, so I guess now's as good of a time as any to find something a bit better. Problem is, I have no idea where to start looking, or what would be a good product. Google hasn't been particularly forthcoming (or my search terms are no good), so I figured I'd ask you guys here, as you tend to be trustworthy and nonjudgemental and overall good people.

Money's not a huge issue, but I'd rather not spend much more than 30-40 bucks on a shaver for my balls.

And while it's not a requirement, it would be great to have this new shaver as early as tomorrow afternoon. I'm having the girlfriend over for my birthday, and I'm sure you get the picture.

Thanks in advance!

Inx on

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    1. We're incredibly judgemental, we just save it for after we've "helped."
    2. You're going down to the skin, eh? Brave of you. Is a regular (non-straight) razor out of the question?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's funny because now your brother is shaving his face with something that has gotten personal with your balls.

I think it's funny, anyway. Wait till he's home and no one else is, and say loudly "HEY HAS ANYONE SEEN MY PUBIC HAIR TRIMMER. IT WAS [wherever you keep it]." It will probably quickly reappear.

You can still get a new one for after tomorrow. ;)

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    @Pantshandshake I use a straight on my face, and I've nearly taken my upper lip off more than once. Not sure I wanna take that risk with my sweetmeats. Disposable razors have given me considerable razor burn and ingrown hair problems on my face in the past, so I try to avoid them in general. Electric just feels safest, but if you can make a case otherwise I'll listen to it.

@ceres Oh, it's hilarious. It's a built-in payback. I don't even need to let him know it, the satisfaction of knowing myself is enough.

Inx on
  • Options
    Personally, I've never felt that any electric razors feel like they're doing as good a job as a standard razor on my face area. I use the 1/8th inch guard around my boys, and just leave it at that. Then again, if this is for tomorrow, you really don't want to be experimenting with new shaving techniques. Nothing says sexy less than blood and band-aids on your junk.

Taking a spin through Amazon, I would say your best bet would be one of those fancy electric shavers that you can use in the shower.

Lastly, I want this thread to continue, to see how many synonyms for genitals you can come up with.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I would recommend not actually trimming down to the skin, for a couple of reasons. It's a huge irritant for one, and the other your pubes are there for a reason...it helps collect germs and particles you don't want near your dick.

I personally keep mine short, and trimmed up, but not bald. Nature put hair there for a reason.

I mean, lets be honest, the real reason to keep your junk cleaned up is one of function more than style, right? Getting down to very short has the same function.

At any rate, I just use a version of the same thing I use on my beard, which is like a 20 dollar remington trimmer. If I had to actually choose a very specific junk trimmer, I would take Pant's suggestion and get one of the shower usable ones, because that's really the best place to trim pubes.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    It's weird because no one really knows why we have it. Some think it's to help with pheromones, others to help sex, and maybe help against germs. But I agree with gnome, trimmed is much better to deal with.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Whatever, I'm sticking to my "catches particles" theory. As many random particles of god knows what as I've picked out of my pubes...there really can't be much of another answer. I mean, how does some of this stuff even get in your pants?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    @GnomeTank Nature put it there for a reason, sure, but that was before we invented stuff like underpants, showers, and moisturizer. I keep my ode to joy (@pantshandshake i can do this all day) as clean as I possibly can, so I'm not sure I'm sold on the benefits of trimming versus shaving in that regard. Ultimately this comes down to a personal taste thing - I started trimming fairly lightly, and over time went shorter and shorter until now, when I just want that shit gone. Only time it sucks is during the winter, really. And yeah, something waterproof would probably be best regardless...

@MushroomStick those look decent, any personal experience with them?

@bowen I find that when I trim any of my body hair - face, chest, whatever - it itches for DAYS, whereas when I full on shave that nonsense, the itching only happens if I don't keep up with the shaving. This is why I'm looking to just get down to business, because for a day or so after I trim, no matter how clean I make myself, the itching still happens and gets kinda distracting. Also, I'm thinking my girlfriend would prefer bald to trimmed, but that's surprisingly secondary to the decision.

• Options
    See, the girlfriend angle is my primary reason, which is why I mentioned the function over style comment. If I wasn't keen on having a girl I'm keen on put her face near that area, I'd probably just let it grow George of the Jungle wild.

• Options
    Sounds like you might have some sort of reaction to the electric shaver. Try extending the length a slight bit. I know when I was using electric I itched something fierce unless I lotioned my face up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    You could try making the switch to something like Nair. Though my understanding is those will burn you if you don't take them off at the right time.

Also, getting summoned in here specifically in reference to another guy's names for his junk, way funnier than having to explain to my office why I'm giggling like an idiot at my laptop.

• Options
    @GnomeTank I don't think I could ever go back, to be honest. It's so much easier to keep clean now.

@bowen nah, this is an issue regardless of what I use to do the trimming - scissors, electric, whatever. I took to using a straight razor for my face to keep the hair from coming back as long as possible to avoid the itching that starts after a good half-inch of stubble grows in. I lotion most parts of my body once or twice a day - a habit I picked up after getting my second tattoo - so I don't have dryness issues. I think I just have really sensitive skin, so when the hair isn't long or absent, it just messes with me.

• Options
    That's crazy bad luck bro. But hey whatever works for you.

Also, never ever put nair on your balls or penis.

• Options
    Oh good lord no, I've done that research.

• Options
    Good lord, don't ever put Nair anywhere near your bait and tackle, for any reason.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Or on your head. Heh, my cousin learned that the hard way.

• Options
    There's got to be some kind of hair removal cream that's safe for our man parts!

Took a spin through the internet. I've learned a lot, maybe too much, about this topic. Anyway, perhaps a thorough waxing and then using a hair growth inhibitor would be your style?

• Options
    Waxing is no good for the bean bag - the skin is too stretchy. For the pitcher's mound, though, it would be an option I guess.

I had considered the whole NoNo thing you see on tv, but then I decided to do research like a good consumer.

• Options
    Reverse Rogain for your jolly roger?

(This thread is too fun, I don't care if the humor is childish...screw you)

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Pick up some cheap disposable razors and shave while you're in the bathtub. After your bath you can foam up and have at it, and you can submerge your boys in water easily.

Pubes don't grow back near as fast as whiskers so you may only need to do this once every week or 2.

I've kept a shaved head with trimmers for years now and the idea of putting that next to my huevos is horrifying, though obviously you're already comfortable with that.

• Options
    Is it the grinding, crushing noises and sharp, sharp teeth, or?

• Options
    We've already discussed his fair, lady-like skin. Why, I bet the merest moonbeams make him all ruddy.

That is to say, he's got sensitive skin, and doesn't want his cock and balls to look like a warzone.

I guess when we get down to it, I just can't conceive of a notion for safely and effectively removing all the hair from a ballsack.

• Options
    Joking aside, trimming/shaving a scrotum is a difficult thing, and when you're first learning how, you will nick yourself.

• Options
    It's not the blood that gets you, it's where the blood is coming from.

• Options
    I am so, so glad I started this thread. So, so glad.

But yeah, if all else fails and I can't get completely down to nothing with an electric, I'll accept the closest anyone can recommend. MushroomStick recommended something above, but with zero detail so I can't tell if he's trying to sabotage my love boat or what.

• Options
    You did it again! Well played!
    Honestly, one of three things is going to happen here:
    1. You'll buy a product, it will perform well, and you're happy.
    2. You'll buy a product, it will not perform well. You'll leave that one where your brother can use it, and but a new one.
    3. You'll buy a product, things spiral out of control, and you'll SHAVE OFF YOUR OWN DICK.

So, you've got 2 out of 3 chances for this to not be disastrous. That's better odds than I gave my wedding. Also, if 3 happens? Put your shit into a bag of ice, come post about it, then go to the hospital.

• Options
    laiceps1983laiceps1983 Registered User regular
    I keep my boys trimmed just using a $30 beard trimmer. I have tried 3 different ones and never really noticed a difference between the jobs they do, so I decided to do my research on one that was easy to clean and needed little maintenance. I would say that is the correct angle to shop by in this case.

I "Scorched the Earth" once just using a standard razor. Didn't have any problems cutting myself but I learned it wasn't for me. I am sure every male has that curiosity whether they admit it or not.

• Options
    We'll also forgive you if you go to the hospital first, and post about it later.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    I'm afraid I don't have personal experience with the equipment I recommended, but they were specifically designed for the task at hand.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    We'll also forgive you if you go to the hospital first, and post about it later.

True. Either way, though, I expect a concise report.

• Options
    @Pantshandshake you have a solid enough point. I'll probably step out tomorrow, see what's in my area, and give something a shot.

Now I just need to decide WHERE to go to make this purchase - Best Buy has a really shit selection for this kind of thing, but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable buying a razor that I intend for the purpose of making revisions to my dangling participles at like...a Wal-Mart.

@MushroomStick ah, okay. I shall google some reviews, then, to be certain.

As far as hospitalization reports go, I certainly won't be the one DRIVING so I'll update you all on the way there.

• Options
    "Scorched the Earth"....this is now my go-to term when talking about total hair removal from your twig and berries.

• Options
    I don't know... Walking into Wal Mart and shouting, "YO, WHERE THE DICK TRIMMERS BE AT?" sounds unreasonably fun. Maybe try a CVS or... Hell, I don't know where you are. Some sort of pharmacy type store.

And, I'm sorry, but in my head, you look like James Caan, plastic baggie full of severed penis in one hand, cell phone in the other.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I dunno, I think walking in to Wal-Mart and asking one of their criminally underpaid associates "Where the dick hair trimmers at?!" is totally worth any discomfort, given the implicit comedy.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    "YO, WHERE THE DICK TRIMMERS BE AT?"

For best results, consult a mohel.

• Options
    Oh snap, ceres busting out the Jewish cultural references for more penis based comedy. This thread is going even more places than it's already been.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    To tie it all together, get your brother to go with you, but don't tell him why. Start browsing the trimmer selection, then tell him you're buying a new one specifically for your under carriage. Extra bonus points if you can get his friends and/or significant other there at the same time.

*Edit*
    Jesus, Ceres. If I wasn't Pantshandshake, that'd be my sig. Such a great out of context quote...

Pantshandshake on
  • Options
    You gents DO have a point about Wal-Mart, and regardless of what I go with on this purchase that WILL be an activity on my eventual itinerary.

I'll probably check local drug stores first - there's a Walgreens and a CVS both in fairly convenient locations. If they don't have the goods, I'm sure I'll be able to find something to shave Cyrano's moustache SOMEWHERE.

Also, after a cursory googling, the products MushroomStick recommended seem to have some pretty solid reviews, so I think that's what I'll look for.

@ceres oh, god, I was wondering when someone was going to go there...

• Options
    PANTS STARTED IT

This discussion has been closed.