As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me fix my PC boot problems

Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So late last night I reboot my computer after some Creative software freezes up when I switch settings to headphones. My system has been working without a hitch for a while.

Anyway, when XP is starting up again, I get a blue screen with an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error.

Figuring that I've gotten blue screens on startup before for apparently no other reason than plugs got jostled during a move to/from the dorm/home, I tinker with the plugs a bit but to no avail. It appears I may have a real problem this time instead of my 1 year old rig being retarded.

I figure that there might be some recovery functions on my XP CD so I boot up with it, then look around the recovery options and realize I have no idea what any of these do and exit.

Attemptting to reboot, I now get "NTDLR is missing" messages.

From a brief perusal of things, it appears I may have two problems: The original boot issue and now XP thinking I want to install it when all I did was poke around the options and see if there was anything useful.

I'm at a loss at what to do here and knowing that I have a project deadline coming up (along with project data inaccessible to me) doesn't make things any more pleasant.

Big Dookie wrote: »
I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
Steel Angel on

• Options
    uberjoeuberjoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Go back in to the recovery console, where you were. run 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' That should take care of it.

uberjoe on
    Warcraft III is just StarCraft in Azeroth.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    uberjoe wrote: »
    Go back in to the recovery console, where you were. run 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' That should take care of it.

I would if I could get back into it.

I ran a chkdsk /r per suggestions I found elsewhere and now my computer hangs on bootup either before the memory check/test or rarely after it if it can get that far.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Okay, here's an update:

Managed to get back to being able to boot from a Windows CD after reseating my RAM and other components.

Ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, still had problems.

That's when something big clicked. Given that the recovery console resembled a DOS prompt, I had tried various commands like DIR back when I had no idea what would help me out. Nothing is listed when I do a DIR on my C:\ drive. The one directory I store all my games under on my second hard drive IS listed when I do a DIR there. Likewise, USB Flash drives get their contents listed.

So now I'm worried that the part of my C drive that tells the rest of the computer that those 1's and 0's on it are various files developed problems. So, how fucked am I right now?

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    uberjoeuberjoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I found this, it looks worth a try. It's supposed to fix ntldr.
    Windows XP users

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

If nothing else works I would suggest booting up with a live linux cd. knoppix or slax would work great. Once you have booted you could (hopefully) copy all the data you want to keep to a usb key and reformat your disk and reinstall windows.

Here is the link for that page I found, there is some good stuff in it.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Also knoppix or slax
    http://www.knoppix.org/
    http://www.slax.org/

uberjoe on
    Warcraft III is just StarCraft in Azeroth.