As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Doom 3 BFG Edition - I play it so you don't have to - Set 21 - All done!

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Games and Technology
Hey guys! Thought I would make a thread for this new LP I am doing, it's been a while so why not.

v8Gg2.jpg

Doom 3 BFG eh, what's that about?

It's got Dooms 1, 2 and 3 in it. And err, they fannied about with lots of things that didn't need changing as far as I can tell. This is blind for me, I've never really played Doom 3, so the scares should remain fresh, as should the shocking ineptness of the player.

Please, come join me, play along! Give hints tips and other bits. General discussion about doom, why not. Let's Play Doom 3!

Videos

Set 1!
Set 2! - Satan's Mirror
Set 3 - Happy Pentagrams
Set 4:
Set 5!
Set 6
Set 7
Set 8
Set 9
Set 10
Set 11!
Set 12
Set 13
Set 14
Set 15
Set 16
Set 17!
Set 18
Set 19
Set 20
Set 21! The End!

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm playing the modded original version, so It'll be interesting to see the difference.

Thankfully, Carmack's been given the go-ahead to release the source code for this port of the game, so it should get the mods soon. After which, I honestly don't know which would be the better version.

And another thing to note, doom 3 didn't have subtitles in it's initial release either. None. Really don't know why that is.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    They hate deaf people? Only answer tbh.

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    worst worst worst worst

o hi ben didnt see u there

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Tbh luke you don't count, you go now!

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    What... what happened to this game? The graphics are much muddier than when I played it all those years ago...

• Options
    From what i gather they used worse textures.

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Oooh, this should be interesting! I'd like to think I had some hand in this decision. . . :P

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Man, I have Doom 3 already and play through all the Dooms on a yearly basis, I was torn if I wanted to buy it for the reduced 19.99. But now I don't have to!

Thanks Helloween!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Melee the zombies to save ammo!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    You can melee? Huh...shoulda tried that first really! lol

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Helloween wrote: »
    You have fists. They're horribly inefficient though. If you had a flashlight, which you DON'T you'd have that to melee with, which kills a normal zombie in 2 hits, and is hilarious to boot.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I'm really not seeing the problem people seem to have with the visuals in this version. It's not ugly; in fact it still looks a fair bit better than most of the shovelware shooters being released recently, even with the low-poly mods. And I'm failing to see what the beef is with the lighting. As a whole this doesn't look bad for a revamped engine from 2004.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Doom 3 is one of my favorite shooters of all time and that will make this the first LP I've ever bothered to watch. Unless you're one of the legion of LPers with a shitty voice, in which case I probably won't bother to continue.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    I haven't really played Doom 3, so I will be watching this.

I can see that Doom 3 is already inferior to Brutal Doom because it doesnt have a button for one liners.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm really not seeing the problem people seem to have with the visuals in this version. It's not ugly; in fact it still looks a fair bit better than most of the shovelware shooters being released recently, even with the low-poly mods. And I'm failing to see what the beef is with the lighting. As a whole this doesn't look bad for a revamped engine from 2004.
    The big problem people are having is that....it's not as good as a version of the game that came out eight years ago. The lighting doesn't look as good. The textures...are worse in some cases.

I mean, for consoles, it's fine. But for PC's it's kinda lackluster.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    You have fists. They're horribly inefficient though. If you had a flashlight, which you DON'T you'd have that to melee with, which kills a normal zombie in 2 hits, and is hilarious to boot.

Yeah if they buffed the fists to match the flashlight's damage you can take out zombies in two hits. Seeing them dissolve after slapping them with a flashlight never gets old.

• Options
    Aumni wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »

Yeah if they buffed the fists to match the flashlight's damage you can take out zombies in two hits. Seeing them dissolve after slapping them with a flashlight never gets old.

I loved the sound it made, too.

*THUNK!*

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Oh. I just realized something. I wonder if the martian buddy lockers will tell you the code for them in the PDA now...Since, other than word of mouth, it's impossible to GET the code nowadays.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    "Pardon me, demonic sirs. Just making my way through."

So polite ...

• Options
    Oh. I just realized something. I wonder if the martian buddy lockers will tell you the code for them in the PDA now...Since, other than word of mouth, it's impossible to GET the code nowadays.

Yeah, the codes are in the title of the emails on the PDA

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sweet. A new Helloween let's play! :)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Niiiiice. This game has been bothering me since it made me want to get a copy of the 'original' version but they've gone and made that hard (I assume to push sales of the bfg version).

Now I can see if I should just shut up and get this version or not. :O

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    "Pardon me, demonic sirs. Just making my way through."

So polite ...

Got to be polite to them, not their fault they are in my way ;)

I'll have to try lamping some dudes with my fists. See if they are better than you guys are expecting

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    What the fuck is up with the textures... seriously who thought it was a good idea to PORT a friggin console Doom game which was originally a PC game... and make it shittier?!

Docken on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    It does seem a bit low res in places, I was wondering if that was just me though, since I didn't play the Original very much at all

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Comments I've seen around say it's higher rez than the original console versions, but lower than the original pc version.

I have no idea if that's because of mods for the pc version or they just make bad decisions, but that's what I'm seeing everywhere.

• Options
    I wouldn't be suprised if it was, but eh, looks good enough as is.

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    Just stopping by to sub to the thread.
    I think I'm gonna watch this. Oh yeah.
    I am not watching AVP
    CAN YOU FORGIVE ME

• Options
    NO I can'y. But that's how it goes :(

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Astale wrote: »
    Comments I've seen around say it's higher rez than the original console versions, but lower than the original pc version.

I have no idea if that's because of mods for the pc version or they just make bad decisions, but that's what I'm seeing everywhere.
    People have been spoiled by their hi-res mods that make Doom 3 look leagues better at the cost of frame rate. At least it's not like with Rage's amazing pop-in MEGATEXTURING!

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    And another thing to note, doom 3 didn't have subtitles in it's initial release either. None. Really don't know why that is.

Yeesh, Id's been too fucking lazy to put subtitles into Doom 3 twice?

• Options
    Yeah the lack of subtitles is just seriously lazy. It can't take that long. Anyway, will try and record a set this evening if my face stops leaking

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Astale wrote: »

From what I've seen in a couple screenshots, it was lower res than the UNMODDED Doom 3.

Edit: First part of a new set is up. Looks like the fists were NOT given a buff! Thanks id! Also, god. The flashlight. You know what flashlight had an infinite battery? The original doom 3 flashlight.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Set 2! Satan's Mirror

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    For that special locker, in the original doom 3 you'd actually have to go to the martian buddy website to get the code. That site has been down for years of course, so they just throw the code in the title for the E-mail.

Also, no comment on the literal monster closets?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    rvrv Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Doom 3 is one of my favorite shooters of all time and that will make this the first LP I've ever bothered to watch. Unless you're one of the legion of LPers with a shitty voice, in which case I probably won't bother to continue.

I don't even like games. I just watch these things to hear this man speak.

One day I will move to England and every human interaction with be an eargasm.
    Also he just makes up words, and jumps like a little girl at the slightest hint of movement/creepiness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    I'm fairly sure that the Martian Buddy locker had a plasma rifle in the original version, instead of the minigun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zealot wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that the Martian Buddy locker had a plasma rifle in the original version, instead of the minigun.
    Nah. I just finished that part in the original. It's still a chaingun.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah the lack of subtitles is just seriously lazy. It can't take that long. Anyway, will try and record a set this evening if my face stops leaking

This oversight really bothered my flatmate back in the day. It's one thing I haven't really understood being a huge issue until I got married and have to routinely play games on absurdly low volumes. Now subtitles are almost mandatory so I can figure out what people are saying.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

This oversight really bothered my flatmate back in the day. It's one thing I haven't really understood being a huge issue until I got married and have to routinely play games on absurdly low volumes. Now subtitles are almost mandatory so I can figure out what people are saying.
    Plus, it came up in the newest set. There was a point where he starts playing a log to get the code for a locker, and gets set upon by demons, and has to kill them. The shooting was drowning out the log, and he ended up missing the code, and having to go through the log again. It's really annoying.

M A G I K A Z A M