Options

Esiotrot's attempt to drag himself kicking and screaming out of Drawing stagnation [NSFW]

EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Artist's Corner
thought rather than clogging up the Doodle thread with my junk I'd throw up a new thread for the stuff I'm doing at the moment so I can maybe get some critiques, trying to do at least one painting and one drawing on my days off so 8 pictures a week, leading up to an exhibition I have in January, also during this period I'm trying to build myself a website as tumblr blogs full of nonsense don't look particularly professional and it would be very nice to start making some money from my pictures.

tumblr_mch5vhS0kG1qdb1ufo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcgnti2gV91qdb1ufo1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcbb4nLNnd1qdb1ufo1_1280.jpg?.jpg

tumblr_mbltoyCTK51qdb1ufo1_500.jpg?.jpg

hopefully going to keep this updated pretty regularly, I've even made myself a timetable to fill in to try and force myself not to slack.

thanks for looking

Esiotrot on

• Options
    HotandnerdyHotandnerdy Hot and Nerdy Kansas CityRegistered User regular
    I like them all....my favorite is the second one! :)

girl.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    All I can say right now is that if you're looking to hopefully make money from your work, spend a little more time making it look polished/finished. The third one, for example, looks the most finished. The others are a bit blurry and look like sketches (which they might be! But it's a little hard to critique what you have here when "making money from your art" is your only listed goal :P ). If you have any influences or looks you're trying to push your art towards, that would be useful for us to figure out how to better critique you. :)

I really liked your creepy pictures that you put in the Doodle thread though - I think that if you polished those up, they'd look pretty swank.

• Options
    Aiming stylistically somewhere in between Simon Davis' 2000AD work
    scan0086.jpg434309_original.jpg
    and Phil Hale
    hale_swamp.jpg
    but not thematically so much, I'm really interested in Pagan stuff and magic in the contemporary, using it to metaphorically try and discuss and express my own mental ineptitude to describe the world around me with words. Both of the top two are just sketches, although the second I was pretty close to calling finished after doing a bit of tidying up. I think I need to start using references though as I find a lot of anatomical issues cropping up but find it hard to get references in the poses I want and my friends are all prudes!

so here's tonight's little doodle, managed to fit one in between jobs. tumblr_mckh6bxAs31qdb1ufo1_1280.jpg

• Options
    selfy23.jpg

an update on this piece, thought I'd put it here rather than slobbering all over the doodle thread

• Options
    edited December 2012
    FINISHEDbiggstyleSMALLLL.jpg

urgh, something about this second figure just doesn't feel right at all
    also trying to decide what to do for the background...

edit: about ready to call this one done I think, fairly pleased with it really. If there is anything anyone can see that is a glaring issue let me know

Esiotrot on
  • Options
    tumblr_med7xzukz01qdb1ufo1_500.jpg

updated this one

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    The arms on the front dude are kind of flat looking, I recommend just following your reference for the arms, because right now the form looks a bit broken.

• Options
    tumblr_mefl3yDosb1qdb1ufo1_500.jpg

just started working on this one, think I need to pick up some reference for the hood because... yeah, I couldn't seem to get it to look correct so I got frustrated and flattened it all up.

• Options
    tumblr_mefl3yDosb1qdb1ufo1_r1_1280.jpg

had another whack at the hood

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    That looks a lot better, although the material seems lop-sided now. Was this your reference? It seems quite similar:

red_riding_hood_long_crushed_velvet_cape_cosplay_costume_fairy_tale_3f4d5c3d.jpg

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    that wasn't the reference, it was a photo I took of a friend of mine, although she wasn't wearing a hood, I used a reference of some dude I found on google for the hood, can't seem to find it now. I see what you mean about the hood being lopsided... I'll have another bash at it

• Options
    innercity.jpg

bah, all my paintings look really stagnant for some reason... never as dynamic as I want them to look

• Options
    donesies-maybe2.jpg

trying to sort the background out on this one, I'm not very good at backgrounds as I never do them, maybe I should do them more...

• Options
    neverwhere.jpg

update on this one, simplified the city, it was confusing the piece way too much

• Options
    McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    Some pretty choice lighting and experimentation going on in that last one in particular. I think this is my favorite of the lot you've posted though

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcbb4nLNnd1qdb1ufo1_1280.jpg?.jpg

Both in concept and in execution. Really awesome.

• Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    What makes Phil Hale/Rick Berry's work so special is the way their brush strokes follow form. Currently, it looks like you're visualizing these characters on a 2D plane, instead of treating them like they're volumetric figures in a real space. Try using larger brushes and wrapping your strokes around forms and see what happens!

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • Options
    glad you like it McJohnstable.
    I definitely need to loosen up a little with my brushes, I find myself smoothing everything out too much when the aesthetic I'm going for isn't that at all.

tumblr_meqo65QOFC1qdb1ufo1_500.jpg
    tonight I drew a crow

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    Digging on this stuff. Don't stop!

• Options
    thanks D-Robe!

• Options
    Birdbrains2DONE2copy.jpg

a thing for today, I learnt how to make circular patterns!