Bad stuff in diet colas

DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdooryou're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
Okay, so a long time ago, I completely gave up Coca Cola in exchange for Coke Zero. Not Diet Coke, because that stuff is gross.

So, there is no sugar in my colas, so it isnt going to make me fat. However, I'm sure there is other bad stuff in there, and I drink one can of coke zero each day, every day, with my dinner in the evening.

What is there in my coke zero thats bad, and what health effects do those things have?

«1

Posts

  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Also, I guess I'd be interested to know what the difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero is, since they are both marketed as zero sugar colas.

  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The difference is marketing, because Diet Coke sold to women, so they needed a diet coke for men, hence Coke Zero. (The official story is that Diet Coke is a unique recipe, where Coke zero is just regular Coke with the sugar replaced by artificial sweeteners)

    Artificial sweeteners are often linked to cancer, but there's also lot's of studies on them. If you trust the FDA, then the stuff is safe, it wouldn't be sold otherwise.

    There's also Benzene which again is linked to cancer and might or might not be in coke in some amounts. Drinking a single can will be way less than the amount you breathe in over the course of a day, so it's probably not a big deal.

    Caffeine is obvious, but again, one can a day shouldn't be a big deal.

    This article talks about the general effects of artificial sweeteners, but the results seem inconclusive.

    Grobian on
    PoGo friend code: 7835 1672 4968
    Dhalphir
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Generally people talk about satiation with artificial sweeteners. But like everything else, in moderation there's no real harm yet proven.

    You should be good Dhalphir, certainly this is a much better solution to normal cola.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Cojones
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Does the same advice apply to zero sugar energy drinks,? Or are they a different thing? This I ask because i quite like the taste of sugarfree V, but don't want to get into a habit of drinking it all the time if its very bad.

  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The recipes are closely guarded trade secrets, but common opinion is the diet coke is a different flavor combination than standard coke (besides being swetened with aspartame instead of corn syrup or cane sugar). Coke zero is coke sweetened with aspartame and Acesulfame.

    There's no nutritional content to diet coke or coke zero, and it is slightly acidic. I don't think a can a day is going to hurt you.

    Djeet on
  • cfsbrawlcfsbrawl Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    The recipes are closely guarded trade secrets, but common opinion is the diet coke is a different flavor combination than standard coke (besides being swetened with aspartame instead of corn syrup or cane sugar). Coke zero is coke sweetened with aspartame and Acesulfame.

    There's no nutritional content to diet coke or come zero, and it is slightly acidic. I don't think a can a day is going to hurt you.

    Coke Zero is actually sweetened with Sucralose (aka Splenda). I would read up on it if you are concerned.

    Coke Zero does have a nutritional content because it contains sodium, just no calories.

    Some people raise concerns that the sweetness response triggers an expectation in your body for calories that aren't there which they suggest could lead to increased appetite.

    As with most things moderation is probably your best bet.

    Feral
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's still going to have a bad effect on your teeth in general, don't brush after you drink soda or anything slightly acidic/sugary (like juice too). Chase it with some water to minimize the effects on your teeth.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    cfsbrawl wrote: »
    Djeet wrote: »
    The recipes are closely guarded trade secrets, but common opinion is the diet coke is a different flavor combination than standard coke (besides being swetened with aspartame instead of corn syrup or cane sugar). Coke zero is coke sweetened with aspartame and Acesulfame.

    There's no nutritional content to diet coke or come zero, and it is slightly acidic. I don't think a can a day is going to hurt you.

    Coke Zero is actually sweetened with Sucralose (aka Splenda). I would read up on it if you are concerned.

    Coke Zero does have a nutritional content because it contains sodium, just no calories.

    Some people raise concerns that the sweetness response triggers an expectation in your body for calories that aren't there which they suggest could lead to increased appetite.

    As with most things moderation is probably your best bet.

    I suspect the Diet-Coke-with-sucralose formula is for a differently branded Coke product. I'm holding a can of Coke Zero right now, and it does indeed contain Aspartame and Acesulfame; no sucralose though. Maybe that's different in the US?

  • RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    IIRC, Diet Coke is effectively NewCoke with the sugar removed. Coke Zero is coke with the sugar removed.

    I know most of my family prescribes to the idea that artificial sweeteners increase free radicals in your system, which in turn ages you and makes you unhealthy (and is countered by antioxidants). I haven't really researched this very much because I tend to dislike the taste of artificial sweeteners over sugar or (especially) honey anyway.

    RadicalTurnip on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Generally people talk about satiation with artificial sweeteners. But like everything else, in moderation there's no real harm yet proven.

    You should be good Dhalphir, certainly this is a much better solution to normal cola.

    As a diabetic, I use sucralose daily in my tea and at least for me, I don't get the claims about satiation with artificial sweeteners. I get the satisfaction of sweetening my tea a little, and get to keep my blood glucose under control as well as not take in empty calories. It doesn't lead to me bingeing on sweet stuff or food in general.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yup it's mostly a bunch of hocus pocus as far as I know. Something also to be doing with insulin response but again, still more hocus pocus.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    There's some very indirect research that shows health risks, including obesity, linked to diet soda use. There isn't any great, solid research that shows clear causation, everything past that is just educated guessing.

    That said, it is definitely true that diet soda is still pretty bad for your teeth. There doesn't seem to be a good reason to drink it other than how hard it is not to drink carbonated beverages of some sort. I'm constantly trying to cut back on diet soda, mostly unsuccessfully.

    And like everything else, it probably causes cancer.

    What is this I don't even.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Life causes cancer.

    I'm pretty sure even the worst scare stories about artificial sweeteners wouldn't put one can a day as a risk. Plenty of people use artificial sweeteners in tea and coffee everyday.

    And cutting back on carbonated beverages is as easy not buying them! If they aren't in the house then you can't drink them! But then I've never understood the inability some people have to just drink a glass of water when you're thirsty.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Life causes cancer.

    I'm pretty sure even the worst scare stories about artificial sweeteners wouldn't put one can a day as a risk. Plenty of people use artificial sweeteners in tea and coffee everyday.

    And cutting back on carbonated beverages is as easy not buying them! If they aren't in the house then you can't drink them! But then I've never understood the inability some people have to just drink a glass of water when you're thirsty.

    At home I drink water. Amusingly, when out and about or at work, a can of soda or diet soda is often easier to come by than a glass of water.

    What is this I don't even.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Plus the taste, I hate drinking plain water. I use mio but that unfortunately has artificial sweeteners in it as well. But I find it to be acceptable for the water.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
    The only stuff that won't get you sick or give you cancer is real food/drink. Water, all natural tea, grassfed beef, etc. There's no use for artificial sweeteners as it's better to just have natural sweeteners like honey or grade B maple syrup.

    I'll go ahead and just give you a quote from Robb Wolf:
    "We know that the beta cells in the pancreas secrete insulin in response to an increase in blood glucose levels. Under ‘normal’ circumstances (and this is the highly simplified, cut to the chase version) in the beta cells, voltage-gated calcium channels are activated in response to an increased ATP:ADP ratio and the closing of ATP-gated potassium channels. The activated calcium channels let calcium into the cells. This triggers the production and export of insulin. When the beta cells are ‘working’ they also require more oxygen in order to function. That was a BRIEF and SIMPLE explanation of what ‘normally’ occurs. Now, let’s see what happens when monoglycerides and saccharin ‘storm the fort’. Instead of the ‘normal’ activation of calcium channels, increased oxygen consumption and release of insulin, the beta cells seem to get a little ‘loopy’ (like too much weed or something), they start releasing reactive oxygen species (ROS). ROS have been linked to inflammation, cell damage, cancer and obesity. All this craziness because of two FDA ‘generally regarded as safe’ (GRAS) additives are present. Things the make you go hmmm…"
    (robbwolf.com)

    The above is the affect on your body with artificial sweeteners. Obviously no one is perfect and even I have an artificial sweetener every now and then, but I've made it a mission for myself to pay more attention.

    As for not being able to stand the taste of water, that may be because of all of the artificial sweeteners used. When someone consumes artificial sweeteners on a daily basis, it changes the taste buds. These sweeteners are 600 times sweeter than the sweetest natural fruit, so our now when our brain thinks "I want something sweet." it won't appreciate anything less than that mega-powered sweetness.

    steam_sig.png

    Origin: DustBunny777
    3DS: 2836-0103-2102
    M1GZYUT.jpg
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Anything will give you cancer if you have it in excess. Even water will kill you in excess. Artificial sweeteners aren't great for you, but you need to consume a LOT of them before you necessarily need to worry about them giving you cancer. A can of diet soda a day is likely fine. :P If you want to cut it out in favor of water or unsweetened tea that's up to you, but a diet soda a day is probably not destroying your body.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I am coming off a major diet coke addiction and I can tell you that hating the taste of water is 99% the fault of the diet soda and sweeteners. Since giving it up I've come to actually love water, when before I couldn't stand the stuff. Also, while I think this was mostly psychological, I found I ate a lot more when I drank diet soda. Mainly because when I had a diet soda I would eat something with it, because that's what I had programmed myself to do. Water had no such programming, so I can basically just drink when I'm thirsty and not also be shoveling a handful of (insert delicious salty/sweet snack here) into my mouth.

    To be fair though, I was drinking like, 5-10 Coke Zero's a day. Maybe not that many, but it was a lot.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    The only stuff that won't get you sick or give you cancer is real food/drink. Water, all natural tea, grassfed beef, etc. There's no use for artificial sweeteners as it's better to just have natural sweeteners like honey or grade B maple syrup.

    I'll go ahead and just give you a quote from Robb Wolf:
    "We know that the beta cells in the pancreas secrete insulin in response to an increase in blood glucose levels. Under ‘normal’ circumstances (and this is the highly simplified, cut to the chase version) in the beta cells, voltage-gated calcium channels are activated in response to an increased ATP:ADP ratio and the closing of ATP-gated potassium channels. The activated calcium channels let calcium into the cells. This triggers the production and export of insulin. When the beta cells are ‘working’ they also require more oxygen in order to function. That was a BRIEF and SIMPLE explanation of what ‘normally’ occurs. Now, let’s see what happens when monoglycerides and saccharin ‘storm the fort’. Instead of the ‘normal’ activation of calcium channels, increased oxygen consumption and release of insulin, the beta cells seem to get a little ‘loopy’ (like too much weed or something), they start releasing reactive oxygen species (ROS). ROS have been linked to inflammation, cell damage, cancer and obesity. All this craziness because of two FDA ‘generally regarded as safe’ (GRAS) additives are present. Things the make you go hmmm…"
    (robbwolf.com)

    The above is the affect on your body with artificial sweeteners. Obviously no one is perfect and even I have an artificial sweetener every now and then, but I've made it a mission for myself to pay more attention.

    As for not being able to stand the taste of water, that may be because of all of the artificial sweeteners used. When someone consumes artificial sweeteners on a daily basis, it changes the taste buds. These sweeteners are 600 times sweeter than the sweetest natural fruit, so our now when our brain thinks "I want something sweet." it won't appreciate anything less than that mega-powered sweetness.
    Water absolutely causes cancer. "All natural" is literally meaningless. Robb Wolf is trying to sell you shit, and it's dietary shit at that, so he has roughly as much credibility as a used car salesman insisting that you don't need to see the car before you buy it.

    I challenge you to cite an objective study that backs up any of the things you have said, here.

    DarkewolfeThirty-3DruhimEsseeUsagiCentipede DamascusFearghaill
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Thanatos, I hate it when you make me agree with you.

    What is this I don't even.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Seems like he bundled insulin response with "this other shit will cause cancer if it's present!"

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Generally us humans are really terrible at assessing relative risk, so we tend to just latch onto something that seems risky as being bad without any consideration of the relative risk it presents compared to other things we do on a daily basis.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Seconded. "Natural" is a world you see in marketing. Do not equivocate "natural" with "wholesome."

    It sounds impressive to talk about reactive oxidation species, but really, oxidation is kind of what your body does. All the time. It's part of your inflammatory response and your general metabolism. Shooting off a completely unqualified statement about "it makes ROS" tells me almost nothing about the oxidative stress that diet sodas are supposed to cause (assuming this guy just isn't exaggerating or making shit up). Eating American-sized portions of meat is probably more destructive in terms of oxidative stress.

    Lack of exercise may also contribute to oxidative stress (i.e. being a pasty nerd). Being sedentary makes it hard for your body to cope with stress in general.

    Mostly, aspartame breaks down into metabolic byproducts including methanol. Yes, that's the stuff in poorly-distilled moonshine that makes you go blind. No, the amounts you're consuming probably won't make you go blind. Beer also has trace amounts of methanol. At a guess, probably beer might have more methanol in it than whatever small amount happens to be bioavailable from aspartame. So it's probably not a problem unless you're hell bent on guzzling packets of the stuff.

    (http://homedistiller.org/intro/methanol/methanol)

    Phenylalanine is not a benzene-derivative (insofar as I have the confidence to assert it). It's one of the essential amino acids and I can't imagine any manufacturing process that wants to go the trouble of synthesizing it directly from benzene. It is a problem mostly if you have this condition known as PKU.

    Honestly, I find diet sodas to be highly offensive. Sugarless sodas are not sodas. If I can't indulge in the real thing, than I just don't want to have to deal with the nasty chemical after-taste in its knock-off version.

    Learn to love coffee and tea. They are most excellent beverages.

    Twenty Sided on
  • LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
    Meh, just trying to help. I cut out pretty much all artificial sweeteners and follow a more natural human diet and have never felt better or been healthier in my whole life. My mother used to drink a diet coke a day and recently started having these twitches in her leg. She went to numerous doctors, got lots of tests and scans and no one could figure it out. She cut out all artificial sweeteners and started eating real food and since then her leg twitches are no more and now she rarely gets headaches.

    To each their own, I suppose! :)

    steam_sig.png

    Origin: DustBunny777
    3DS: 2836-0103-2102
    M1GZYUT.jpg
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Well, far be it for me to complain about a well-rounded diet.

    It's a pet-peeve for me when people call doing this "natural."

    Twenty Sided on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Meh, just trying to help. I cut out pretty much all artificial sweeteners and follow a more natural human diet and have never felt better or been healthier in my whole life. My mother used to drink a diet coke a day and recently started having these twitches in her leg. She went to numerous doctors, got lots of tests and scans and no one could figure it out. She cut out all artificial sweeteners and started eating real food and since then her leg twitches are no more and now she rarely gets headaches.

    To each their own, I suppose! :)

    As somebody who is trying to educate himself, if you could provide citations or evidence I would find it very helpful - either stuff causes cancer or it doesn't, so "to each their own" only makes sense if some people prefer cancer...

    fwKS7.png?1
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Well there are people that prefer to smoke?

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Meh, just trying to help. I cut out pretty much all artificial sweeteners and follow a more natural human diet and have never felt better or been healthier in my whole life. My mother used to drink a diet coke a day and recently started having these twitches in her leg. She went to numerous doctors, got lots of tests and scans and no one could figure it out. She cut out all artificial sweeteners and started eating real food and since then her leg twitches are no more and now she rarely gets headaches.

    To each their own, I suppose! :)

    The response to your post wasn't because anyone thought you were trying to be unhelpful. But well intentioned advice isn't really much use if it's not sound advice. You give the example of your mother, but logically there's plenty of other variables that resulted in her feeling better that had little or nothing to do with artificial sweeteners. Than was simply explaining why the nebulous concept of "natural" isn't really useful from a health perspective. It's such a huge basket to dump whatever vague ideas you want into that it becomes meaningless.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
    When I say "natural", I mean "real food". That should clear things up in that area.

    I used the example of my mom, and yes, there could have been some other factor, but its the only part of her life that she changed, so it was some good evidence that there may be something to humans eating real food than frankenfoods. I guess I should just let it go if I'm willing to write a research paper here.

    steam_sig.png

    Origin: DustBunny777
    3DS: 2836-0103-2102
    M1GZYUT.jpg
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    and now she rarely gets headaches.

    Well this could definitely be caused by cutting out aspartame, because some people do get headaches from aspartame. Some people get headaches from MSG as well, for example, so cutting it out of their diet would get rid of headaches too. Doesn't mean the other stuff about aspartame is true, but that could be one potential health effect from it.

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Meh, just trying to help. I cut out pretty much all artificial sweeteners and follow a more natural human diet and have never felt better or been healthier in my whole life. My mother used to drink a diet coke a day and recently started having these twitches in her leg. She went to numerous doctors, got lots of tests and scans and no one could figure it out. She cut out all artificial sweeteners and started eating real food and since then her leg twitches are no more and now she rarely gets headaches.

    To each their own, I suppose! :)

    As somebody who is trying to educate himself, if you could provide citations or evidence I would find it very helpful - either stuff causes cancer or it doesn't, so "to each their own" only makes sense if some people prefer cancer...

    It's really not as simple as "causes cancer or doesn't". Plenty of stuff that we've been eating for most of human history can be harmful in sufficient amounts. Sodium is necessary for fundamental biological processes, but too much can lead to various health problems. Formaldehyde can be harmful in large enough quantities but exists in trace amounts in many unrefined foods as well as being produced by some of our metabolic processes.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When I say "natural", I mean "real food". That should clear things up in that area.

    I used the example of my mom, and yes, there could have been some other factor, but its the only part of her life that she changed, so it was some good evidence that there may be something to humans eating real food than frankenfoods. I guess I should just let it go if I'm willing to write a research paper here.

    You say it's clear, but it's not really. There's so much ideological baggage tied up in your use of these words, they aren't meaningful from a health perspective.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
    Real food:
    Fruits (apples, oranges, bananas, kiwi, etc)
    Veggies (broccoli, green beans, eggplant, etc)
    Beef (grassfed beef)
    Chicken (no hormones, free range)
    Fish
    Lamb
    Nuts (almonds, walnuts, macadamia, etc)

    Pretty straight forward stuff.

    steam_sig.png

    Origin: DustBunny777
    3DS: 2836-0103-2102
    M1GZYUT.jpg
  • LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
    Though now this topic is getting totally derailed, it would seem.

    The general synopsis seems to be:
    - 1 coke zero a day is fine
    - no coke zero anymore

    So, I guess the OP has a general idea of the basic opinions on here.

    steam_sig.png

    Origin: DustBunny777
    3DS: 2836-0103-2102
    M1GZYUT.jpg
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I could mostly leave fruits. Sure a banana is pretty good, and I wouldn't part ways with orange juice or cranberry juice for vodka, but overall the nutritional profile of fruits is vastly surpassed by vegetables.

    I'd go so far as to say, I'd rather eat broccoli and spinach over any fruit save peaches, any time.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    To be honest, 1 coke a day is just as fine.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Not trying to bag on anybody, but human agriculture is far-end opposite of "natural."

    All our foods have been genetically modified in some way, even if only through selective breeding and because we need to grow it on land we have cleared of their ecosystems. Chances are, the foods you're eating have been artificially mutated somewhere in their ancestry long before "Frankenfood" ever become a salient political buzz word.

    Then we irrigate it and spray it. Even "organic" isn't a great indicator of quality. It just means that pesticides weren't used. If you were to tell me that a potato I'm eating tastes better because it's organic, I'm going to be pretty skeptical.

    So yeah. Ideological baggage indeed.

    Twenty Sided on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    When I say "natural", I mean "real food". That should clear things up in that area.

    I used the example of my mom, and yes, there could have been some other factor, but its the only part of her life that she changed, so it was some good evidence that there may be something to humans eating real food than frankenfoods. I guess I should just let it go if I'm willing to write a research paper here.

    That is not evidence. It's not that people don't appreciate advice. It's just that your advice is rather hotly contested and doesn't seem grounded in research.

    Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think we're getting hung up on pedantry and can all agree that this isn't D&D and that yes, those foods are certainly better than diet coke and is good dietary advice all around and is no big deal.

    One should avoid coke altogether if they want to be healthy.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Rend
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Bottom line, @Dhalpir, one Coke Zero a day is unlikely to have a measurable impact on your health.

This discussion has been closed.