As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The world will end this December 21st

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Semantics will also not matter unfortunately :(

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Anyone dead yet?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    It's past 11:11 and I'm still here. Colour me surprised disappointed.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    I just walked past the big astrology/mystic healing superstore and they're still open today. Make of that what you will.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hah

Suck it, fate

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I don't find the entropic death of the universe depressing really. I mean yeah there will possibly nothing ever anywhere or anyone either but the fact that its so far off I can barely fathom the enormity and breadth of events that will happen between this time and then makes it pretty academic really.

All things must end or at least that is what current mainstream thinking tells us. And if it does well at least that means all the pain and suffering will end as well. Silver lining and all that!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    There's always this undercurrent of hope when people talk about the end of the world

Like "maybe history will end on the 21st... C'mon, c'mon."

Culture-wide freudian death wish, yo

• Options
    P.S. guys i like this a lot:

http://thisrecording.com/today/2012/9/27/in-which-it-was-a-good-party.html

No amount of notice will be enough to prepare, and that is sort of a sweet thing anyway. The world will end and there will still be a dead bug in the Tupperware on top of the fridge. There will still be a dozen half-finished or barely-started Word documents on your computer—admit it.

As the moment approaches, the verb tense will be complicated, hard to wrangle. I will never have gotten around to buying a new comforter, you will never have gotten around to losing that last ten pounds, she will never have gotten around to breaking his heart, even though all of us knew for ages that they’d have been happier if she did.

We’ll all have the idea that we’ll buy something new to wear, something special for the occasion, but mostly we won’t. The only people who will buy new dresses are the kind of people who buy new dresses for things. (My mom might wear one, in the bunker.)

The rest of us will wear our favorite things, and H. and I will stand in front of her closet and touch all of the soft things in it and debate, because that’s what we do, even if we both sort of know she’ll wear that one red dress and those shoes. She’ll debate heels but ultimately decide that flats are who she is, and isn’t that the idea? Not to be someone else, when it’s your very last chance to be who you are?

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Eventually entropy will cause everything to stop doing anything so yeah we are all fucked in a hundred billion or so years.

Yeah, but dark energy is a thing. It is dumping an ever increasing amount of energy into the universe, and we have no idea how that energy will interact with quantum chromodynamic bonding. I haven't heard of a good reason it would not result in matter being created through hadronization.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Kagera wrote: »
    Nought wrote: »
    So, I was a bit busy this morning. Did the world end?

Yes. Welcome to the afterlife which is just real life but less sex!

It's possible to have -2 sex?! ;o

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    But this universe will be dead and all memories, nothing that ever happened across the entirety of everything will be remembered or have mattered.

Incorrect. "Have mattered" is some kind of past tense. It "will not matter anymore". It totally will "have mattered."

As ever, Red Dwarf has all the answers to Life, the Universe and Everything.

RIMMER: Lister, it *has* happened. You can't change it, any more than you can change what you had for breakfast yesterday.

LISTER: Hey, it hasn't happened, has it? It has "will have going to have happened" happened, but it hasn't actually "happened" happened yet, actually.

RIMMER: Poppycock! It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that. Your bucket's been kicked, baby.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    So, like, what if the world really DID come to an end today, while everyone was sleeping, and the world we're living in now is just, like, some new world created to look like the old one? Wooooooahhhhh

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    So, like, what if the world really DID come to an end today, while everyone was sleeping, and the world we're living in now is just, like, some new world created to look like the old one? Wooooooahhhhh

241px-Conspiracy-keanu.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    P.S. guys i like this a lot:

http://thisrecording.com/today/2012/9/27/in-which-it-was-a-good-party.html

No amount of notice will be enough to prepare, and that is sort of a sweet thing anyway. The world will end and there will still be a dead bug in the Tupperware on top of the fridge. There will still be a dozen half-finished or barely-started Word documents on your computer—admit it.

As the moment approaches, the verb tense will be complicated, hard to wrangle. I will never have gotten around to buying a new comforter, you will never have gotten around to losing that last ten pounds, she will never have gotten around to breaking his heart, even though all of us knew for ages that they’d have been happier if she did.

We’ll all have the idea that we’ll buy something new to wear, something special for the occasion, but mostly we won’t. The only people who will buy new dresses are the kind of people who buy new dresses for things. (My mom might wear one, in the bunker.)

The rest of us will wear our favorite things, and H. and I will stand in front of her closet and touch all of the soft things in it and debate, because that’s what we do, even if we both sort of know she’ll wear that one red dress and those shoes. She’ll debate heels but ultimately decide that flats are who she is, and isn’t that the idea? Not to be someone else, when it’s your very last chance to be who you are?

Reading the whole thing feels like the more than slightly crazy proto-blog an acquaintance had in high school (late 90s) in which he made thinly veiled professions of love and hate to everyone around him.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    How about this: The world DID end today and this is the afterlife. Did I just blow everyone's fucking mind?
    I bet I did
    n't

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Maybe the world ended. I'll find out sometime later. Haven't accounted for all loved ones, yet.
    There's always this undercurrent of hope when people talk about the end of the world

Lucky we haven't found any Metatron-ore, yet.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    it's fun to imagine that hundreds or thousands of years from now when our contemporary culture is dead and buried, our most deeply held beliefs and rituals will just be fodder for animated 3D images on whatever replaces the internet

ed: so I mean basically the only difference will be that they can make 3D animated gifs, now that I think about it

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The Mayans rickroll'd us.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    fuck i wish the world ended... maybe it'd stop this hangover from being such a bitch...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Makes me think of that guy who kept repeatedly predicting that the world would end. The impression that I got, especially towards the end of his life, was that he was unable to accept that the world would continue to exist without him. Not in that it needed him to exist, but that if it continued endlessly, then what was the point of him being alive?

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

Makes me think of that guy who kept repeatedly predicting that the world would end. The impression that I got, especially towards the end of his life, was that he was unable to accept that the world would continue to exist without him. Not in that it needed him to exist, but that if it continued endlessly, then what was the point of him being alive?

This is probably not even rare

was there ever a teenager who didn't feel that history had somehow been totally ruptured, coincidentally timing with their own life?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    guys ive just come from earth 2, everything is destroyed!

it's horrible, president Romney launched all the nuclear weapons to create a better investing environment for private equity

however he fulfilled his campaign promise of both lower taxes and lower unemployment!

override367 on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    How about this: The world DID end today and this is the afterlife. Did I just blow everyone's fucking mind?
    I bet I did
    n't

Like, everyone died today. The person you are now was actually just created 23 seconds ago with a false set of memories to deceive you into believing you were here all along. For realz.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I am disappointed.

Like. This is allegedly doomsday. Where is the grand moment of catharsis when we realize that the world isn't ending and that we're stuck with the consequences of our own stupid fucking actions? When are we going to avert the doomsdays that we are creating with our own hands as we speak?

Honestly, dying now in some flashy catastrophe would be confirmation that a single human being has been correct about a single thing, whereas, now...

Bah, fuck it. That blog was right. Every single asshole who thinks that the world will end tomorrow ups the odds that it will.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm waiting around for movers to finish packing our stuff. Doomsday is boring.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Man, this doomsday has been like the most boring day for me ever. I mean we already knew the NRA announcement was going to be the same tired shit. We already knew we were going off the fiscal cliff. Syria is still a fucking mess. The GOP is still insane. Damn shame this wasn't a Monday, at least it wouldn't be nearly as disappointing, but it had to be a Friday, a day that's suppose to interesting for most. Fuck, I didn't even get a T-shirt saying "I survived the end of the World on 12/21/2012."

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I bet I did
    n't

Like, everyone died today. The person you are now was actually just created 23 seconds ago with a false set of memories to deceive you into believing you were here all along. For realz.

Your living relatives were just put there by Satan to deceive you.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Just a bunch of snow/rain/ice here. Bussiness as usual!

I almost feel bad for that dude in Netherlands who invested in a boat that can hold 35 people.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Seems like an odd number of people to hold in a boat.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Waited all day to die, 30mins left...

Fuck it, going to bed.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    So when's the next big, retarded thing?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Tomorrow?

• Options
    MajorTrouble!MajorTrouble! __BANNED USERS regular
    Anybody watch Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo? It's a fun show to watch but there was a few that were actually preparing for the 2012 Doomsday and put a lot of money and effort into their prepping. Imagine their disappointment.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Nah, these people have back-up excuses ready.

"It's the beginning of the end. Things are going to take a turn for the worse and just snowball now. Just you wait"

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MajorTrouble!MajorTrouble! __BANNED USERS regular
    We've done some prepping ourselves but nothing extreme. We have a few firearms and Krav Maga training so home/personal defense is covered but I don't think we'd last long food/water wise. Our plan would be to drive or walk to my future-in-laws house as it'd be best to trust family over neighbors when disaster strikes.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I caught part of an episode of it in a waiting room. Pretty hilarious to see someone claiming that money would become worthless, and then proceed to stockpile gold instead.

jothki on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    We've done some prepping ourselves but nothing extreme. We have a few firearms and Krav Maga training so home/personal defense is covered but I don't think we'd last long food/water wise. Our plan would be to drive or walk to my future-in-laws house as it'd be best to trust family over neighbors when disaster strikes.

yeah it's true people who know Krav Maga usually live through disasters that's how it works

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    We're all betas: genetically identical clones of our Alphas with backup memories that don't include the final moments of what really happened yesterday....

That'd be a great premise for a book.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    We're all betas: genetically identical clones of our Alphas with backup memories that don't include the final moments of what really happened yesterday....

That'd be a great premise for a book.

That was already a plot for a Star Trek episode. You are beaten to the punch, I'm afraid.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm so glad to be out of the old doomsdays. None going forward will have as much cultural draw as the old ones did.