As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Embarrassing long-held childhood beliefs

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited December 2012 in Social Entropy++
We all thought dumb stuff as kids, so let's laugh about it now that we're old enough to realize being embarrassed about stuff as a kid is dumb

So whenever I saw the old signs for KFC I was a little confused.

colonel.jpg

For years and years, I always wondered why Colonel Sanders had a big head and a tiny stick-figure body.

Now you can't unsee it!

I'll have more to share when I make sure it isn't as shameful as other stuff that gets posted

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    never saw that kfc logo before

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    HOTLINKING HAS BEEN DISABLED

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't want to visit nerd nirvana.

It sounds like the least appealing level of nirvana.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    KFC fucking hates hotlinking

sig.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    pressing A while a pokemon was struggling in a pokeball made it easier to catch it

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    UGH sorry you guys I was the dumb and didn't check before I hotlinked, sorry

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    pressing A while a pokemon was struggling in a pokeball made it easier to catch it

For around here, it was Up+B

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular

Down-B you baka gaijin

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    on second thought I will accept "A in rhythm with the pokeball shaking" but down-B is the superior method

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I thought that when I grew up life wouldn't be utterly confusing and terrifying

hahaha whoopes

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    A friend of mine only learned how to properly round off numbers (like 2.7834 -> 2.8) after 3 years of university.

He is now literally a rocket scientist.

broken image link
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    My parents used to watch a lot of old black and white films

I was convinced that was what the world actually looked like back then because color hadn't been "invented"

I was like 4 at the time, my parents thought it was hilarious

Odin on
  • Options
    I still have a hard time with regular old division.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

it's down and b stupid

up and a does more damage

(i still do this)

• Options
    Odin wrote: »
    My parents used to watch a lot of old black and white films

I was convinced that was what the world actually looked like back then because color hadn't been "invented"

I was like 4 at the time, my parents thought it was hilarious

this is literally a calvin and hobbes thing

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    for quite some time during and after Operation Desert Fox, I thought Iraq was a small desert region located between Holland and Denmark, in what is actually Hanover

My reasoning was that, if British fighter planes were bombing Iraq, it had to be close enough for them to fly there and back in one go (I assumed modern fighter planes still had the approximate range of Spitfires, and did not conceive of aircraft carriers or foreign basing rights)

I also thought the Gulf War was a primarily naval engagement fought between an Iraqi Fleet and the U.S. Navy somewhere west of Cuba, because there can't be more than one place called "gulf" that'd be stupid

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    As a child I once pestered my mother and father, demanding to know what the last number was.

They both insisted there was no such thing, and I was not having their bullshit.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    that grunge was good

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    For some reason for the longest time I thought "conniving" was spelled "kniving".

I won multiple class spelling bees! I don't know why I had such a weird blind spot.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Chocolate milk does not, in fact, have any impact on skin pigmentation.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    that grunge was good

nobody thought this

• Options
    I believe.

I can fly.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Since I didn't have a point of reference, and couldn't just look it up or something, I assumed for the longest time that vaginas were not between the legs, but just right above where the penis is

And that to get the penis in, you had to push directly in, like perpendicular or something

Which made me really confused about why I always heard people did it lying down

• Options
    I figured it out when I was like 14 though, so it wasn't like I just yesterday found out the truth about vaginas

• Options
    Also I thought cold showers were something you took if you wanted to become horny.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I though that Japanese animation was good in general.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    once i believed buttlord wasn't a horrible poster

hehe....whoops

• Options
    Since I didn't have a point of reference, and couldn't just look it up or something, I assumed for the longest time that vaginas were not between the legs, but just right above where the penis is

And that to get the penis in, you had to push directly in, like perpendicular or something

Which made me really confused about why I always heard people did it lying down

I was probably at least 20 when I realised that when people talked about 'doggy style' they didn't mean anal.

I'm going to take this as yet another example of the obvious clues I was gay that I missed for so long.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I just yesterday found out the truth about vaginas

:bz

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I figured it out when I was like 14 though, so it wasn't like I just yesterday found out the truth about vaginas

i don't believe that vaginas exist

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Chocolate milk does not, in fact, have any impact on skin pigmentation.

And does not come exclusively from brown cows and straight from the udder, but is a mixture of regular milk and various chemical bonding agents attaching it to chocolate powder.

I also used to think hay bales in fields bundled in a cylinder shape were giant hot dogs cut up for herd animals to eat.

488W936.png
  • Options
    after I moved to this country it took a long, long time to reconcile myself to the fact that "Arkansas" is not pronounced "Arkans-ass"

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    tumblr_mcxwuyhEjg1qkn34m.jpg

For YEARS I thought the D was a weird backwards G, and was confused as to why the Disney logo didn't spell "disney"

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    ar-kansas

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    When I was a kid I thought that jackalopes were real.

• Options
    curiously enough despite my strategic rationale for the location of Iraq, at the same age I had no problem accepting the distances involved in the Falklands War

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Our-kansas

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Rs can saw

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I develop a new method/rhythm of holding down buttons for each Pokemon game.

Just feels wrong without it.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    One time when I was young, for a brief moment, I didn't think Outkast was the greatest musical group ever.

I was pretty embarrassed.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig