As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

These are the voyages of the U.S.S. Enter[chat]

Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style.Registered User regular
Its five-year mission: to explore strange new forums, to seek out new posts and new memes, to boldly go where no poster has gone before.

starship-enterprise1.jpg

Captain's Log: Stardate 66397.9
Our previous mission was harrowing, but we survived. I fear, however, that we have made our way from the frying pan... into the fire.

We had made our way to the Cartoon Sector to celebrate some crew birthdays in style. We knew the Webcomic Colony had seen some great growth since researchers had established it over a decade ago. It has been told that the free and open environment had created a lush paradise where the creativity flowed, no longer bound by panels or other restrictive paradigms. A place where men... could dream and women... could be 2D.

What we found... was the most horrifying sight of all. These once proud people, adventurous... curious.. intelligent... had been transformed. Apparently radioactive energies emanating from the core of the planet had corrupted them. They had become like molemen, building.. dangerous... machines..

120512.jpg

I'm sad to say that many died... but the ship remains intact. We're barely functioning. If we had more power, maybe we could withstand the threat that lies between us and the starbase.

A cosmic quack shakes this ship every hour. On the viewscreen, a horrendous spheroid creature with a blue... cap?... stares at us. It has one demand, but what it is I cannot tell. If only someone could tell me... what does it want? What is... gooby?

139049959_gooby-pls---uncle-dolan-pls-meme-generator.jpg

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Yes. Burn the unbelieving bastard chat.

I throw in with this one.

Lh96QHG.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    This is the one true chat. Especially since it appeals to my deep down Trekie nature.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Dolan image so this is the [chat] for me.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Quickly, someone start a contentious conversation so that this Chat eclipses the other.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I'd only ever tip if a waiter held up me up with a gun and he had a conceal carry permit.

I'd only ever tip if a waiter held up me up with a gun and he had a conceal carry permit.

Yeah, but if you were in OWS he'd be well within his rights to put ketchup all over that hot dog.

Lh96QHG.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    In South Africa, we tipped, since that was actually the main part of their income.

In NZ I don't, since those fuckers get paid here. No extra monies for you!

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Is it otherwise normal to tip in NZ? Where do you fall on the social normalcy spectrum there?

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Dude if we could only ban all guns from five guys we would solve abortion

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Actually I've got a moderately amusing anecdote about tipping.

The LadyFromEarth's mother owns a small hair salon and she recently moved into a 55+ community. Her neighbors are coincidentally some of her winter customers (my county's population doubles between November and April) and they got into a conversation about her costs and how well people tip on the six dollar haircut special she runs.

"Well some do, but not Canadians. They're well known at being terrible tippers."

The neighbors hail from Ontario.

"I think you'll find that's French Canadians."

And now they don't say hello when she goes to walk her dog anymore.

Lh96QHG.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's apparently not a thing they do here, which is actually why I don't do it.

Though when we stayed at a fancy hotel, the bell boy that brought up our bags did stand expectantly close to the door.

I hope it didn't hit him in the face.

Move to New Zealand
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I disagree with @Regina Fong that people who are discussing things I am not interested in, in a general chat, need to be silenced.

Let people be what they want, geez. It's not like MMO general chat is ever elevating anyway. Better they discuss anime and tropes than to have two complete idiots trying to discuss politics over an MMO general chat. That always ends in ways nobody wanted.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I disagree with @Regina Fong that people who are discussing things I am not interested in, in a general chat, need to be silenced.

Let people be what they want, geez. It's not like MMO general chat is ever elevating anyway. Better they discuss anime and tropes than to have two complete idiots trying to discuss politics over an MMO general chat. That always ends in ways nobody wanted.

I follow the same rule most places, including here: if there's a conversation I don't want to be a part of going on, I don't join in.

Works out most days.

Lh96QHG.png
    I'd actually like to see the correlation between pay+labour laws and the culture of tipping.

Move to New Zealand
    Mortious wrote: »

Though when we stayed at a fancy hotel, the bell boy that brought up our bags did stand expectantly close to the door.

I've only ever been to a nice hotel once. The greeter asked me if he could carry my bags up for me. I didn't want to trouble him, really, so I was like "no, it's okay, I got it." I didn't want to look like a wimp, either.

Once I got up to the 6th floor, it occured to me that maybe I had blocked an expected avenue of service and income? I kind of wonder if that was seen as a real cheap thing to do.

I'd actually like to see the correlation between pay+labour laws and the culture of tipping.

Yeah that'd be interesting.

The argument pro tipping in the states is that these people get paid really shit wages. But then so do I, and I don't put a tip jar up on the circulation desk.

Wait a minute...

Lh96QHG.png

Yeah that'd be interesting.

The argument pro tipping in the states is that these people get paid really shit wages. But then so do I, and I don't put a tip jar up on the circulation desk.

Wait a minute...

Try it and report back.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    When SIG and skippy and other regulars start talking about their alcohols, I do something else for an hour until those lushes burn themselves out and the topic returns to something more familiar.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I just helped awesome ladies load a million boxes of gum into a Chrysler 300 to donate to children's charities and shelters.

Awesome. :3

I just talk about something else. It's not like there aren't usually multiple conversations going. Sometimes one conversation dominates, but then that means it's obviously not a very exclusionary conversation... in that case yeah, I'll go play bidya games or something.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    TIPPING ENCOURAGES A CULTURE OF BRIBERY AND SPECIAL RELATIONSHIPS!

ROOOOOOAAAAR

aRkpc.gif
    desc wrote: »
    I just helped awesome ladies load a million boxes of gum into a Chrysler 300 to donate to children's charities and shelters.

Did they tip you?

(good work :^: )

I've only ever been to a nice hotel once. The greeter asked me if he could carry my bags up for me. I didn't want to trouble him, really, so I was like "no, it's okay, I got it." I didn't want to look like a wimp, either.

Once I got up to the 6th floor, it occured to me that maybe I had blocked an expected avenue of service and income? I kind of wonder if that was seen as a real cheap thing to do.

I have stayed in a nice hotel twice in my life. Once in St Louis and once in Pittsburgh.

So, lateral move really.

Except for Pittsburgh, I really liked Pittsburgh. And my room had a great view of the three rivers joining up. I think they call it the point?

Lh96QHG.png
    Basically where Land of the Dead was set.

Lh96QHG.png

The only reason we had the Bell Boy take up our bags was that a Valet stole my car, otherwise I would have done it myself.

While the stay was fun, it was a strangely uncomfortable experience.

Move to New Zealand
    Relatedly: holy fuck can you store a lot in the trunk of a 300.

You guys ever need to drive a couple bodies somewhere, you know what to drive.

ronya wrote: »
    TIPPING ENCOURAGES A CULTURE OF BRIBERY AND SPECIAL RELATIONSHIPS!

ROOOOOOAAAAR

You give me fifty bucks and I'll back you up on this.

Lh96QHG.png
    Relatedly: holy fuck can you store a lot in the trunk of a 300.

You guys ever need to drive a couple bodies somewhere, you know what to drive.

NO I don't! Why would I know that? I don't know that! That's ludicrous!

Don't go spreading rumors, man.

Did they tip you?

Slias pls

Did they tip you?

Slias pls

Basically I'd stand real close and just hold my hand up like this until I get some cash monies

Gooby+without+car+suspicious.png

Casual wrote: »
    how long is this two chat madness going to go on???

@Casual

Come to the right side, my friend. Help end the madness.

Lh96QHG.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Robot Santa, lock this thread and judge the OP as unworthy

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative ElJeffe. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.