As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel NOW! - The Future is NOW! Page One NS56k

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    BQsAz.png
    Tailgate

dude was from before the war, ended up stuck underground for six million years and missed the whole thing, barely knows about the autobot/decepticon conflict

he's got an impressive resume, but he seems to be hiding something

he's also generally regarded as adorable by the fanbase, partly because of how small and expressive he is despite his lack of a proper face

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tailgate rules hth

• Options
    edited December 2012
    also Cyclonus was also a neutral who was mostly outside the war but was biased towards the Decepticons

Tailgate heard about their cause from Cyclonus, and the cause itself was originally good

he didnt know about their atrocities until he heard about it from the autobot crew of the lost light, and then he confronted Cyclonus
    KwcFy.jpg
    Cyclonus then beat Tailgate and basically told him to stay away

Tailgate's trying to be Cyclonus's friend but it's not working
    but yeah mtmte fans on tumblrs are shippers, so i'm not surprised that's just how it is for marvel fans too

Antimatter on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I just thought it was funny that one of the robots in an (ostensibly) male/male shipped pairing was called Tailgate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    this is the wrong thread for this discussion but you can shush

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i think you can just say "fans on tumblr are shippers"

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters shipping every possible combination of characters ever

Romeo and Mickey Mouse

Moby Dick and Optimus Prime

Robin Hood and that chick from the insurance commercials

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    And all of those monkeys have tumblrs.

That's not entirely fair. There are some good ones out there, and an increasing number of corporate ones.

Anyway, I can't recall where the Hawkeye t-shirt was mentioned, but it does come in different colors. It just doesn't change the color of the logo (it's supposed to look taped on or something).

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Quoth wrote: »
    Robin Hood and that chick from the insurance commercials
    Erin Esurance is cute. Shame they got rid of her when Allstate bought the company.

/may be kidding
    //may not be

Oh, hey. tumblr's going nuts over the preview page of YA showing Teddy and Wiccan kissing. I'm shocked.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Oh, they're playing up Billy and Teddy being in a gay relationship? How uncommon.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Young avengers starts January right?

Can't wait to see tumblr

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'm still working ridiculous hours, but I tried to spend some of my time off tonight catching up on all the NOW titles from this month. I made it about 2/3rds through the pile before my eyes gave out. So here are six thoughts about six books:

1. I can't believe people aren't digging on Fantastic Four more. Fraction went from being my least favorite of the big wheelhouse Marvel writers last year, to being my current second-favorite (after Hickman, who is OFF DA CHAIN). I think people are a little put-off because he's really hammering for juxtaposition by making F4 super retro while making FF modern and weird.

It also seems a little early to judge just because the first two issues of F4 have really just existed to establish the set-up for everything, while FF has been able to move into things a little more quickly. I'm hoping that issues 3 and 4 will turn people around a little on the book.

2. Cable and X-Force is pretty good, and Hopeless nails all the characters, but the book's plot is moving way too slowly to really grip me. After two issues, we still don't have anything more concrete than the generic Cable sees a threat from the future set-up. I'll hang around for a bit, and I hope it speeds up pretty soon and we get to see what the deal was with the heist in issue 1.

3. On the other hand, Avengers Arena #2 was just too heart-crushing. But I also want to pick up the next issue to see if
    He continues to kill a character in every issue (yes, even though the character that died in issue 2 was a new one created just to die on the spot).

4. Thunderbolts is super shitty. I really love the direction that Red Hulk and Flash Venom had been moving in under Parker and Remender, but this has undone a great deal of that. I picked up the first two just because people whose opinions are normally very strong recommended it to me (prefaced with the words "I can't believe I'm about to recommend a Daniel Way book, but..."), but I can't stand how bad it is. The first issue had some jarring continuity problems, and a couple bits of out-of-character dialog, but I did find it interesting. The second issue was all horrible. I may give it one last try just due to the $2.99 price and the twist at the end of issue 2.

5. If you can get over the Land art, Iron Man has been solid apart from issue 1. Similar to what Fraction is doing in F4, Gillen seems to be working pretty hard to connect some of the classic aspects of the book to more modern themes and stories, and I think he's been succeeding more often than not. I'm excited to see where he takes it once he starts doing fully connected arcs.

6. All-New X-Men was originally going to be the only high-profile NOW title I wasn't going to pick up, but it's possibly my favorite one at the moment. I can't believe this is a Bendis book. The characters are so much more organic than his Avengers, and the scope is way bigger than his Ultimate Spider-Man. And I extra can't believe that I am so in love with a book where the original X-Men time-travel to the present day, which seemed like an all-time worst idea when it was announced.

• Options
    I was just recently made aware of this amazing two-page spread by the Dodsons in Avengers #34, but I cannot stop focusing on the fact that Wanda and Simon are chatting up just off the woman of honor like the last ten years never happened.

No good can come of this. I promise you that.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Spidey ganking his drink from across the room wins that spread.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    God damn does Red Skull+Psychic Powers make for an incredible visual:
    prv14686_pg2.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I kind of want the next panel to be the crowd going "Man, you're weird" and walking away.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    How does Uncany Avengers fit in with Avengers and the X lines?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    How does Uncany Avengers fit in with Avengers and the X lines?
    Just fine, really.

Cap decided the Avengers needed to finally take a firm pro-Mutants stance, especially in the wake of AvX, and formed a squad of X-Men and Avengers led by Havok to show that mutants and humans can work together peacefully.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Except half its members are on the other Avengers teams which are all vaguely happening at the same time.

• Options
    And how is that different than literally every other time in comics history?

Characters are always doing a ton of different things in different books at the "same" time.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I never understood how the Avengers are viewed as heroes, but the X-Men are hated for being mutants. Some of these people have carbon copies of each other's powers. Why does it matter how they got them?

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This is explained by Grant Morrison Introducing sentient bacteria that Mutants are immune to. So it basically creates the anti mutant movement to protect its dominance.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    because what else would stereotypical southern town or eastern european villages mob against?

• Options
    because people hate things that are different and knowing that anyone at anytime could potentially be born with dangerous super powers is a whole lot different than the one and million chance of getting zapped with cosmic rays or whatever.

it also dosen't help that there is an established history of mutant supremacists like magneto or exodus or apocalypse who have been conducted a ton of very public terrorist style attacks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    This is explained by Grant Morrison Introducing sentient bacteria that Mutants are immune to. So it basically creates the anti mutant movement to protect its dominance.

ugh

and I like the idea of Sublime in general but I had forgotten that specific part of New X-Men

ugh

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    don't forget mutants can't get AIDS.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Claremont and Byrne had that wonderful "It's 1984 - do you know WHAT your children are?" Senator Kelly arc. But yeah, Grant Morrison invented comic books.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Or to state the obvious, X-Men are extremely profitable and the whole being hated thing is their raison d'être. It only seems weird because the real life social tensions and attitudes they were based on have progressed faster than the rate of societal development in comics.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Which is odd too, when you think about how comics have had black presidents since the late 80's. So they had their Obama generation 2 decades ago, and mutants still can't catch a break!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    This is the dumbest thing

how is that by any definition a better explanation than "people are terrified about new things that could potentially change the world"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah the bacteria thing was stupid

anyway: why do people hate mutants? For their own crazy ass reasons. Bigotry doesn't exactly make rational sense from an individual logic point of view. From a societies point of view, I think that people are supposedly concerned that a) mutants are dangerous (which, honestly, they are, but there's not much they or anyone else can do about that and its hardly their fault) and b) mutants are here to replace them as the next stage of evolution (ditto, in some stories at lease)

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Considering how they have little problem with using time travel, they could just flip things around this time and make it so that the anti-mutant movement is being support from time travelers from a future where mutants rule the world and humans are persecuted.

• Options
    Again, that is a dumber explanation than "people are dumb and fear new, potentially dangerous things."

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Finally started reading Secret Warriors, which I picked up on an earlier sale.
    Guys, is this is the greatest comic or is it the greatest comic?

It's like... Metal Gear Solid levels of crazy/awesome... But the plot actually makes sense. And Nick Fury makes other paragon level badasses seem like children.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Again, that is a dumber explanation than "people are dumb and fear new, potentially dangerous things."

Considering how the last major anti-mutant villain was a genocidal robot from a post apocalyptic future where mutants are hunted like animals, having humans coming from a future where mutants are the oppressors could create the potential for some villains who aren't a bunch of foaming-at-the-mouth chaotic evil mass murderers.

• Options

Considering how the last major anti-mutant villain was a genocidal robot from a post apocalyptic future where mutants are hunted like animals, having humans coming from a future where mutants are the oppressors could create the potential for some villains who aren't a bunch of foaming-at-the-mouth chaotic evil mass murderers.

Pshaw. Like anyone wants that.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Ugh, the "why do people hate/fear mutants" thing is a regular refrain in the comics-related threads over in D&D. It's starting to rival "Superman is a boring character" in terms of over-simplified dumb arguments.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This is the dumbest thing

how is that by any definition a better explanation than "people are terrified about new things that could potentially change the world"

I think he meant to imply that Sublime fanned the flames rather than created them outright but it doesn't come across like that in the book.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ugh, the "why do people hate/fear mutants" thing is a regular refrain in the comics-related threads over in D&D. It's starting to rival "Superman is a boring character" in terms of over-simplified dumb arguments.

Well, part of the problem is the exaggerated nature of comics. Marvel has portrayed the hatred of mutants to be pretty extreme. Many of the anti-mutant villains and their henchmen are portrayed as extremely fanatical and immoral, willing to torture, murder and maim.

If the anti-mutant movement was just portrayed as a bunch of people marching on Washington with "God hates muties" signs then I don't think a lot of people would question it.

However, people building an elite private army equipped with advanced stolen military technology in order to massacre a school full of children, that can be a bit harder to accept even in a comic.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    There are a couple of factors in the whole "why are mutants hated, but other superhumans not"-debate.

The most important one is already said: it's like racism/homophobia. There is absolutely no rational for racism, but it doesn't stop people from being racist. Add in that mutants, especially mutants manifesting their powers for the first time, can be very dangerous to the people around them and mutants being the product of evolution (and we all know how certain groups feel about evolution).

Then there is public knowledge and the media: you see, the first experience most people in the Marvel Universe with mutants have are a) Magneto attacking a nuclear base and declaring war in humanity in the name of all mutants and b) Bolivar Trask giving his lecture on how mutants will replace and enslave humanity in the future. Whenever the heroic mutants start to become more public and actually openly start to interact with human society instead of acting from the shadows, public approval of mutants went up. See the X-Men after Fall of the Mutants when they were taped during a mission, X-Factor after going public got a parade in New York, Excalibur was openly praised by the British government as heroes, Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix were celebrities. Also, Reed Richards and Tony Stark both work *hard* to keep the public image of their groups positive and even then both of them occassionally run into similar problems (Superhuman registration act in Acts of Vengeance and Civil War for instance).

(And of course the OoC reason: it sells the books.)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
This discussion has been closed.