The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Running a TF2 server

GriswoldGriswold (a superset of all possible mathematics) (his body disintegrated)Registered User regular
All,

I've created a need for a 20- to 24-man Team Fortress 2 server, and I am debating a few options:

1) rent one
2) run it on my own PC, on which I'd be playing at the same time
3) building a dedicated server box

The recommended requirements for a TF2 server are a 2.0GHz processor and 1GB of RAM. From an internet connection standpoint, I've read that upload bandwidth is the limiting factor for TF2 server performance, and that a 24-man server requires anywhere from 3mbps to 6mbps, depending on mods.

-My current PC has a Phenom 955, overclocked to 3.8GHz, and 16GB of RAM.
-My current down/up speed is 50/25.

Is there anything stopping me from running a TF2 server instance on my own machine, while also running an instance of the game client, with solid performance? If there are limiting or preventing factors, can anyone recommend a relatively cheap server build?

Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
Path of Exile: snowcrash7
Griswold on