As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So hey, what is that giant streak over RussiOMG METEOR!!!!

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    there's really not much you can do once an asteroid is inside the atmosphere.

I'm surprised at the time difference between leaving the contrail and impact. I bet it hit miles outside that city.

Nah, on the news they are talking about being prepared in case the asteroid hit a comm satellite and cell phones didn't work.

Like...that's randomly fired bullet hitting randomly fired bullet odds there.

Not to mention that losing a single comm satellite doesn't mean jack shit to the national cell phone network.

I also want to point out that even if Russia had scrambled jets and gotten them into position...what were they going to do to a rock the size of a semi-truck moving 35,000 miles an hour?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    zagdrob wrote: »

I'm surprised at the time difference between leaving the contrail and impact. I bet it hit miles outside that city.

Nah, on the news they are talking about being prepared in case the asteroid hit a comm satellite and cell phones didn't work.

Not to mention that losing a single comm satellite doesn't mean jack shit to the national cell phone network.

I also want to point out that even if Russia had scrambled jets and gotten them into position...what were they going to do to a rock the size of a semi-truck moving 35,000 miles an hour?

PUTIN! Or THIS!
    453887-iron_curtian_super.jpg

I'm pretty skeptical of that as well. Meteorites are the sort of things that just...happen...and you deal with the aftermath, not something that has a military interception plan that involves Bruce Willis and Aerosmith, to the best of my knowledge.

Some more shots from CNET I don't think were posted. All the same, that sort of bright streaking light....Christ, it's like seeing Meteor hit Midgar from Kalm.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    http://varlamov.me/img/chelmeteor/01.jpg

I wonder if a fragment landed here? Or perhaps part of the structure just collapsed?

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Just turned off autocorrect on my computer.

computers should not have that feature.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The local news mentioned 900 Russians were injured after the impact.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    66149_509811135735904_156529699_n.jpg

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

It's not moving 35,000 miles an hour inside the atmosphere. It slows down considerably on the way in, which is what causes all the heat and light. It's still moving the speed of a bullet, but you could maybe shoot it down with an air to air missile....maybe? You'd probably just waste a missile though.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I would legitimately poop my pants if I saw what that driver saw

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

It's not moving 35,000 miles an hour inside the atmosphere. It slows down considerably on the way in, which is what causes all the heat and light. It's still moving the speed of a bullet, but you could maybe shoot it down with an air to air missile....maybe? You'd probably just waste a missile though.

It'd be damn hard to shoot down. Heat-seeking stuff would have no time spotting it, but you've only got a couple seconds to hit the thing. As you point out, if it is glowing like the sun then it is still moving way too fast, so you'd have to wait until it was even closer to the ground, only another second or two away from impact. I don't think it'd happen.

If you knew the exact trajectory and movement of the meteor ahead of time you could probably pull it off, but even that would be tough. And as these things break up in the atmosphere they're trajectory will change, along with their velocity/deceleration.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    An object would be considerably easier to hit in space if we knew where it was coming from than once it hits the atmosphere

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod

the drivers all seem damn calm. I mean assuming the dude in the car is talking at the end, he says absolutely nothing when that shit is falling from the sky at him. I feel like I would have gone "what the shiiiiiiiiitttttttt"

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

I wonder if a fragment landed here? Or perhaps part of the structure just collapsed?

Most likely the shockwave collapsed the roof of a poorly built, shitty Soviet-era factory. The cloud is probably either dust, or a fire resulting from the collapse.

Probably.

GnomeTank wrote: »

At 20-30 miles up, which is where the estimates I saw placed the explosion, it probably hadn't slowed down THAT much. Considering that meteors can enter the atmosphere at up to 150,000 mph, 35,000 mph isn't an unrealistic estimate.

Of course, at those altitudes it's unlikely anything other than a prepared ABM system could have even attempted to intercept it. An aircraft armed with air to air weapons wouldn't have a chance, even if it was vectored in ahead of time.

Even assuming an ABM or air to air missile was launched and somehow managed to intercept / impact the meteor (without leaving any contrails on the videos), it's not going to have any affect on a ten ton rock.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »

the drivers all seem damn calm. I mean assuming the dude in the car is talking at the end, he says absolutely nothing when that shit is falling from the sky at him. I feel like I would have gone "what the shiiiiiiiiitttttttt"

Well they're russian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E

A giant meteor passing overhead is less precarious than going to the store for milk

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    A minor Tsukini event (or however it's spelled, happened around 1910 or so) with witnesses this time?

Tunguska.

That one was very close to the ground hence all the damage it did, this one was nice and high in the sky, so high apparently that Putin and the government have taken credit for saving everybody's lives by claiming that military jets SHOT IT DOWN.

Oh Putin, why you be so cray-cray?

Says who? I mean, seriously, fucking ITAR-TASS made no mention of this, so is this crazy internet rumor fun time, or is there something to it? Because if there is, I've got some Russian friends to gently mock.
    shryke wrote: »
    even in the cold war the people in charge knew what an asteroid was.

the people on the ground would panic but I don't know if it would start ww3.

A flock of geese almost started WW3.

Nuke first, ask questions later was very much a thing.

"almost" is pretty key here though. They did ask questions first.

It's....complicated, but as far as I know, there's two sides to it: the "DO SOMETHING THE FUCK NOW!" side and the "Okay, we need to go through eighteen other guys to do it" side. They sort of balance themselves out, or at least, that's the hope. Like that time they left the tape deck on at NORAD and someone forgot to flip the "No, the Soviets aren't firing nuclear missiles at us, this is just an exercise" switch. Or the famous PVO systems glitch in the USSR around the same time.

The point is we're living close to the sleeve in this area, but we are aware of that. And always remember not to leave your tape deck.
    rockrnger wrote: »
    How the hell does everyone in those videos stay so calm?

If I saw something like that I would drive my car thru the front door of the nearest supermarket and start grabbing stuff.

I think the implicit threat of a bunch of Ural townies who know the supermarket manager swarming your car and taking it for compensation. Or just beating the shit out of you.

The social contract! Catch it!
    I negotiated a strick no meteors or aliens clause in my social contract.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    It wouldn't matter even if you could intercept it with a missile.

blowing it up in the atmosphere is still going to have repercussions on the ground since the energy has to be transferred somewhere.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    that video is both horrifying and mesmerizing.

• Options
    edited February 2013

blowing it up in the atmosphere is still going to have repercussions on the ground since the energy has to be transferred somewhere.

yes and blowing up a tsar bomba 20,000 feet up is less damaging than letting it hit the ground, because you avoid fallout from lots of irradiated dirt being thrown everywhere

The ideal scenario for blowing up something like this again is in space, and the likelihood of hitting it with a nuke is extremely slim in the atmosphere (basically in space you just put the bomb in front of it and adjust its position as your prediction of its path gets more and more accurate)

override367 on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Does every Russian have a dash cam or something?

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Does every Russian have a dash cam or something?

why-are-there-so-many-dash-cam-videos-of-the-meteor
    Basically, Russia’s motorists are a different breed. Russia has one of the highest car-accident rates in the world, a fact that Dmitry Medvedev, the former president and current prime minister, once blamed on the “undisciplined, criminally careless behavior of our drivers,” as well as poor road conditions. Hit-and-run crashes are incredibly common, as apparently are crafty, car-related hustles. Drivers of already dented cars will back purposefully into other cars in an attempt to extort money from their owners. Pedestrians will throw themselves on car hoods at crosswalks and then lie on the asphalt, pretending to be injured.

Cutting off or otherwise offending a fellow motorist occasionally leads to full-on brawls in the middle of the road.
    And in court, dash-cam footage is the most reliable way to prove what really happened.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Evigilant wrote: »

I have had this posted outside my cube for a few weeks now and it is making quite the conversation piece today.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    HooverFan wrote: »
    A minor Tsukini event (or however it's spelled, happened around 1910 or so) with witnesses this time?

Tunguska.

That one was very close to the ground hence all the damage it did, this one was nice and high in the sky, so high apparently that Putin and the government have taken credit for saving everybody's lives by claiming that military jets SHOT IT DOWN.

Oh Putin, why you be so cray-cray?

Says who? I mean, seriously, fucking ITAR-TASS made no mention of this, so is this crazy internet rumor fun time, or is there something to it? Because if there is, I've got some Russian friends to gently mock.
    shryke wrote: »
    even in the cold war the people in charge knew what an asteroid was.

the people on the ground would panic but I don't know if it would start ww3.

A flock of geese almost started WW3.

Nuke first, ask questions later was very much a thing.

"almost" is pretty key here though. They did ask questions first.

It's....complicated, but as far as I know, there's two sides to it: the "DO SOMETHING THE FUCK NOW!" side and the "Okay, we need to go through eighteen other guys to do it" side. They sort of balance themselves out, or at least, that's the hope. Like that time they left the tape deck on at NORAD and someone forgot to flip the "No, the Soviets aren't firing nuclear missiles at us, this is just an exercise" switch. Or the famous PVO systems glitch in the USSR around the same time.

The point is we're living close to the sleeve in this area, but we are aware of that. And always remember not to leave your tape deck.
    How the hell does everyone in those videos stay so calm?

If I saw something like that I would drive my car thru the front door of the nearest supermarket and start grabbing stuff.

I think the implicit threat of a bunch of Ural townies who know the supermarket manager swarming your car and taking it for compensation. Or just beating the shit out of you.

The social contract! Catch it!
    I negotiated a strick no meteors or aliens clause in my social contract.

The guys who negotiating your car out of the supermarket and out of your life may not have the same inhibitions.
    Evigilant wrote: »

Doubly ironic: Unless I'm mistaken, the meteorite hit the only country in the world with an operational manned spacecraft in regular use.

Pick up the pace, rest of the world.
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Probably bad maintenance, really--really violent shaking from the explosion.

The next meteorite that comes over North America is going to fuck up those 70,000 structurally deficient bridges. I'm glad I don't have to cross any bridges, so I just need to contend with giant sinkholes.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular

Well they're russian

A giant meteor passing overhead is less precarious than going to the store for milk
    Whoever made that video needs to update it with the meteor shower.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    That is just incredible. The sonic boom was so strong, from so high up in the air, that it really makes me wonder just how big this thing was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So far, the narrative seems to be that it was actually very dense--or what reached us of it was. 10 tons, but only the size of a furniture cabinet or a table.

Like a boulder.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Siska wrote: »

Well they're russian

Whoever made that video needs to update it with the meteor shower.

I couldn't finish that video but it's nice to see people that are worse drivers then me out there. Apparently a whole country worth.

I did like the Hind, Horse and Hay clips best. Just for the absurdity of them.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Tunguska.

Ghesutite

(Thank you for correcting me. By god I wasn't even close...)

Yeah, you weren't very close to "gesundheit", either. :)

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Sorcerer-pawn.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

yes and blowing up a tsar bomba 20,000 feet up is less damaging than letting it hit the ground, because you avoid fallout from lots of irradiated dirt being thrown everywhere

The ideal scenario for blowing up something like this again is in space, and the likelihood of hitting it with a nuke is extremely slim in the atmosphere (basically in space you just put the bomb in front of it and adjust its position as your prediction of its path gets more and more accurate)

You don't even need to blow it up, really.

We just need to detect it early enough to launch a rocket at it, punch it in the side, and knock its orbit away from us.

We can do the math required now, it's the having the rocket and the will bit that's in trouble : /

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    The Russians have had an ABM system since the 1970's which used to be nuclear tipped. However, successfully detecting a meteor and intercepting it would be almost impossible given the limited time window.

One thing I don't understand about this, is whether the damage on the ground was caused by a sonic boom or the meteor bursting in the atmosphere.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Ideally you detect the asteroid when it's very far from Earth.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    So far, the narrative seems to be that it was actually very dense--or what reached us of it was. 10 tons, but only the size of a furniture cabinet or a table.

Like a boulder.

that's not possible.

if it were that dense it would have been an Iron meteoroid and it would have impacted instead of detonating overhead.

estimates I see from space.com put it around 50 feet diameter and 7 tons.

• Options
    The Russians have had an ABM system since the 1970's which used to be nuclear tipped. However, successfully detecting a meteor and intercepting it would be almost impossible given the limited time window.

One thing I don't understand about this, is whether the damage on the ground was caused by a sonic boom or the meteor bursting in the atmosphere.

a sonic boom is a shockwave so.... both.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

We just need to detect it early enough to launch a rocket at it, punch it in the side, and knock its orbit away from us.

We can do the math required now, it's the having the rocket and the will bit that's in trouble : /

not away from us,
    just move it over to some area of the Mohave desert that you've had the foresight to purchase and then start selling tickets
    profit!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Like a boulder.

that's not possible.

if it were that dense it would have been an Iron meteoroid and it would have impacted instead of detonating overhead.

I don't know about the size, though Bad Astronomy has some guesses.

Speaking of which, it seems like it did land:
    130216_BA_tassphotoslive419717.jpg.CROP.article568-large.jpg

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

The other issue is convincing everybody that, no, you're not secretly launching ICBMs at all their capitols and silos

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options

Like a boulder.

that's not possible.

Than my news is waaayyy out of date.

I was hearing it on news with the estimates of being large furniture size.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Chelyabinsk really can't catch any breaks, can it? All those radioactive leaks, now this.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    es0mjq.jpg

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    BSoB wrote: »
    God hates commies.

Proof positive.

Two minutes earlier and it'd have hit Sweden.