As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engagement ring

psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello H&A, this is a thread about engagement rings. Specifically, it is a thread about me thinking of asking the question sometime in the next year and wanting to make sure I get it right, but I do not mind one bit if other people want to discuss related things or their own questions or whatever.

My situation is that at some point in the next year (later rather than sooner) I will be probably discussing the prospect with my partner. I really don't know much about it, not having been through this before. The only close friends of mine who have married did so after dating for 8 years, rather longer that us, so I don't really have anyone to talk to. Really, I want to know about rings, and the process of buying them. She wants a diamond (I hate diamonds, but it's her ring and I have no problem getting her what she wants for this. It's also her birthstone.) That's about all I know as far as ring preference. I would like to get one custom-made. It would be nice to do that with her input, but I don't know how to go about getting that. Do I propose beforehand and then discuss what she wants in a ring, and have it made? Do I suggest we go out looking at rings without proposing? Do I ask her best friend? Should it be a total surprise? How did you folks handle it?

We've talked about the topic obliquely and briefly but not very seriously yet. How do we go about having this discussion? The situation is that I will be moving for school at the end of next year, and we have been in a position for a while where it is tacitly agreed that she will be coming with me. We HAVE talked about that part directly.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
steam_sig.png
psyck0 on

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    The way I did it was to wait until you're passing a Jewellry shop then ask which kinds of rings she likes, there are some big differences (silver/white gold/gold/platinum) different kinds of sets etc. Just shrug it off if you want to keep it a surrise and say you're curious, that way if she didn't want to get married she'll let you know but if she does she'll be excited. I would then buy one yourself. The way it works here is you buy a ring to present her with when you propose, then you both go in afterwards and exchange it for one that fits (you might have to wait a while for that bit). At that time she can also change it for one with a different design if she wanted, but I'm sure if you do a little bit of snooping with her before you'll find one she likes. I definitely wouldn't ask her friends/family, people I spoke to at the time thought it was good that I picked it out myself and my fiancé loves it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ecco and I talked about it for a while. I showed him ideas and things over months. We finally went to some local jewelers. After finding one jeweler that struck us as fantastic, I told ecco what i wanted.

Then he told me that he had no idea what I was talking about, so I should talk to the jeweler. So I emailed him with the desires that I had and our budget. The Jeweler emailed me back and we went to see him the next weekend. I picked my stones that week and the ring was done in 2 weeks time.

It's a pretty personal thing and I knew exactly what I wanted. I had known what I wanted since I was fourteen. There was no real way that we were going to have a surprise.

Oh, and congrats!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Don't discount the idea of skipping the engagement ring entirely and spending the money on a nicer wedding or even a nice house instead.

A big engagement ring is a lovely thing for people with money, but the "three months salary" guideline is a huge fucking crock of goddamn greedy-ass bullshit from asshole jewellers who prey on societal expectations.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    "She wants a diamond"

You likely cannot go wrong with a round brilliant solitaire claw-grip and a simple band.

If you want to go custom you should have a good idea of the output (be it your conception or hers) before you start talking. They're thare to tell you whether on not your design is feasible/wearable.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    A lot of antique rings have interesting settings without breaking the bank. My best friend, sister, and a few other people I know have gone the antique/hand-me-down route and all really love their rings because they're classically pretty without being overwhelming or flashy. And significantly less money than buying brand new. Don't be afraid of eBay or other sources for rings, as long as you do a bit of shopping.

If she only wants a diamond and doesn't care about the design, then pick out something you find pretty and that would match her style or interests. Focus on a diamond that is pretty and sparkly, rather than big.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    You also might want to find a local shop that deals with estate jewelry.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    For me, my wife and I had discussed marriage a lot beforehand, so i was positive that she wanted to get married. After that I took the opportunity whenever it presented itself to ask some passing questions about wedding rings to help get an idea what she wanted. White gold, princess cut, not a high setting, likes baguettes, hates round diamonds. Then i went out and looked around to get an idea of pricing and what was available.

I did not ask for advice from any friends or family, that just was not a good idea in my case, but if she has a super close friend then that could be a good plan for you.

You can get sizing by taking one of her less used rings or a day and getting that sized, can be risky but worked for me.

Things that no one told me that you should think of. What ever you pick out will have to be matched up against a wedding ring later on. The ring i ended up with had diamonds all over it, including the front and back of the ring, this made it very difficult to find a wedding band that matched.

As far as cost, i don't know about 3 months salary. Depends on your salary. I would say, its a big deal, not just some nice bauble you are getting her for Christmas. For me, its definitely the most expensive jewelry I have gotten.

• Options
    LanchesterLanchester Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I preferred trying to pop the question as a surprise. Doing it that way, you have to get as much information as possible during regular conversations. Whenever jewelry gets brought up, or you walk by a store, or a commercial comes on. Anything like that is a good time to get some information while not bringing it up out of no where. Since you got all year, you'll have plenty of chances to pickup information.

First thing you need to find out is what kind of cut she wants. If she wants her diamond to be a princess cut or whatever other cuts there are out there.

Next is what kind of material for the band. Gold, white gold, platinum, etc. etc.

Then, if you want to really get into the details or she's very specific in what she wants...what kind of setting she wants. I have no knowledge of these.

Last is if she likes extra sparkles. If she's one of those who likes little tiny diamonds around the band, or around the setting itself. Or if she just likes a regular band with the 1 diamond.

I've heard from several different people about "the rules" of everything...like you should spend 2 months of your paycheck (I think it's 2 months...). Anyways, I think all that is stupid. You shouldn't have to spend a certain amount or make sure it's at least 1.5 carats or 2 carats or whatever. Get what you know she'll like and even if it's only a couple hundred bucks it shouldn't matter.

edit: Last piece of advice...if you're worried she might have expensive taste, watch the movie Blood Diamond with her, if neither have seen it

Lanchester on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I just went through this process, and here are my thoughts:
    1. Ring style - talk to her. Honestly. This is something that (hopefully) she'll be wearing the rest of her life, so talk to her about what styles she likes/doesn't like, as well as go digging in her jewelry box to find some common threads. I used this to pick the final style, but it was still a surprise when I gave it to her.
    2. Diamonds - I personally went the internet route for the diamond, and definitely got a much better stone (Ideal, F color, VS2). If you don't know what those things are in the parentheses, look at pricescope.com . It's where diamond nerds hang out, and they're actually super helpful if you do some reading (there's a ton of good material).
    3. Price - spend what you feel comfortable spending, but understand this is supposed to represent a commitment, thus the "2 month's salary" thing, since you shouldn't be slapdash about it. You can always upgrade the ring at a later date.

Congrats!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My husband and I decided to get married, and THEN went ring-shopping. I ended up wanting something completely different when I had a bunch of stuff in front of me than I thought I would, but I also hadn't been planning my ring since I was 14, so YMMV. I liked doing it that way, but honestly if he'd surprised me with something I probably would have liked that too.

I was actually adamantly against spending the money on a diamond until he and I decided to get married, as well. But I've never been happier with anyone than with him, and I've never had a relationship as good as ours, and whatever stone we ended up with, I wanted it to reflect that. The diamond I ended up with sparkles in the shade, and going to pick it out is a beautiful memory for me. For me, it really represents him, and us, and I love it.

Of course it's also the single most expensive thing I own, so I mostly wear it on special occasions. There's that factor to consider as well.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    It all depends on what you want to do, do you want it to be a surprise, or it's an agreement to have the marriage? There is no right or wrong with this. For some of my friends who have been dating long term (like 5+ years), the girls wanted to skip the proposal. However, there are some who want the proposal regardless.

My cousin and her fiance went ring shopping together, and that was it. No proposal or anything. She went and pick a ring that she liked and he paid for it.

My friend went for the whole surprise (did it at an event and got on one knee), and brought a simple diamond ring, and they went shopping for their wedding bands together after that.

In terms of custom rings, shop around and look around. Make sure you have a budget and a design in mind. Look at different settings, metals, and cuts you'd like. Also think about if you want the engagement ring to match the wedding band. Some people don't, and some people do.

My advice for designs is to be logical and realistic about it. Think if you want the diamond to be set into the band, or raised (I'm not sure what the terms of the settings are, but I hope you understand what I mean).

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    If you want it designed with her input, but still want to do the one knee thing as a surprise, then propose with something cheap but pretty as placeholder.

Best of all worlds.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    For someone who just went through this communication is the best way to make sure you don't get screwed.

I wanted to do a real surprise on the ring, but that's ludicrous. You want to drop a lot of money on a ring without her consent and you want it to be perfect - but you kind of need her input to do that.

What I am going with is a pretty traditional ring from a dealer with a good return policy. If it's not perfect, just exchange it for what she wants. Alternatively, I've had a few buddies who got good mileage about proposing with a simple platinum band placeholder ring, then going shopping later for her hearts desire.

I highly recommend brilliantearth.com for certified non-conflict diamonds if your lady is into that sort of thing.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    It all depends on what you want to do, do you want it to be a surprise, or it's an agreement to have the marriage? There is no right or wrong with this. For some of my friends who have been dating long term (like 5+ years), the girls wanted to skip the proposal. However, there are some who want the proposal regardless.

TOO REASONABLE!
    (cookie is 100% correct)

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

TOO REASONABLE!
    (cookie is 100% correct)

Yes. This also somewhat depends on the type of person she is, so just do what feels right. When you love each other, it doesn't really matter if it's a surprise or not, though the playful torment of them knowing you might have something and not saying anything is fantastic.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    EggyToast wrote: »
    A lot of antique rings have interesting settings without breaking the bank.

My wife's is in an antique setting. It's a sort of half-open box with heart designs on the side and the diamond on top. They still make similar things, they call it filigree, though it's usually not as heavy as the antique ones are. They have the added benefit of making the stone look bigger than it is. If she's the type that'll be shoving it under every nose that will look at it, or has friends who will likely obsess about the diamond's size, that's a plus.

Another option that's been mentioned on the forums a few times is moissenite/berzelian. It's a silicon carbide crystal with a similar molecular structure to a diamond. It's the second hardest substance known to man, it's optical qualities exceed diamond's (it sparkles in the same way but brighter), it's ethically produced and not monopolized or artificially priced. Most non-professionals can't tell the difference - it doesn't have any of the giveaways people use to identify fakes*. Many who do know the difference think moissenite is the more attractive stone.

*-that sentence is not to imply, and I can't stress this enough, that you should try to pass it off to her as a real diamond. That's always something that will eventually backfire somehow, even if it's ten years from now and she gets it resized after having three kids and the jeweler comments, "That is a fine carbide there. Almost looks like a real diamond."

Hevach on
  • Options
    finralfinral Registered User regular
    My experience in ring shopping was that independent jewelers will give you better service and possibly better prices than any large chain. They will also be more willing to work with you on something custom. Another thought is if your SO has any sisters or friends you can talk to without them spilling the beans, they could be really helpful. I talked to my fiancee's sister to get some ideas, and while keeping it a secret was killing her, she was very helpful.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the advice, folks. It definitely has to be a diamond- we've discussed my strong dislike of that industry before and she understands but really wants to follow the tradition, and I can understand that.

For those of you who discussed marriage and the ring explicitly like @ceres, how did you have that conversation and still keep some romance/surprise? How do you get onto the topic? We have talked around it but never had the frank discussion and it is certainly intimidating to bring up.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    Here in the coldest, most bear-infested cavern of all of Scandinavia engagement rings are usually bought in pairs and are as such often the less expensive one of the woman's two. The wedding band can be more decorated. This is perfect since it allows for the buying of a simple gold band for the engagement.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Well, we had talked about things a good bit, and we both knew that marriage was where we wanted to end up since we're into frank discussions about that sort of thing; I think really what it came down to was the feeling on his part that he had waited an appropriate amount of time that he could look back on later and say "I definitely didn't jump into this." One night he took me out to dinner at a nice place and "proposed," by which I mean he said that he knew he loved me and was ready to get married, and hoped we could do it soon. He knew that I kind of had ideas about what I wanted in a ring, so he wanted to make a date of getting it. I was really happy. It wasn't a traditional-surprise-down-on-one-knee, but dinner was very nice at a place I loved, and I was really happy because I wanted to marry him and that made it romantic to me. I think we went out a day or two later for the ring, I know it wasn't long, and he got me exactly what I wanted. It's good in the end that I went, because what I ended up with wasn't what I thought I would want.

Some girls definitely want to be surprised, and definitely want you to have a ring ready to go. I... am not that person. We had talked about marriage not from the standpoint of a wedding and filling out paperwork, but just spending our lives together. The "m" word is kind of a big one for some people, and breaking it down into "I want to spend the next 10/20/40/all of the years with you" tends to be a bit more approachable. That kind of topic will probably lead into a discussion of marriage at some point or other, and can help give you a feel for what she's thinking about it.

Those diamond trade objection conversations are good! Maybe have one more, and use it to your advantage in getting a good description of what she's looking for in a ring. If you play it right you can wrangle information about everything from size and quality to what kind of metal and setting styles she prefers from that one conversation. If you're really subtle, you might get it by her and have enough information to pick one out yourself, which would be pretty damn impressive.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    One other option that hasn't come up (I think) is the tension-mount style of ring, which can be more practical for everyday wearing as there's less of a sticking-out issue with the stone compared to the classic claw mount -- my wife's engagement ring was one of these:

http://boonerings.com/stone-settings/venus.htm

and there is a _lot_ of sparkle in the stone because light can get to it from all directions. He has a lot of other options, though:

http://boonerings.com/stone.htm

The issue there is sizing, because they can't be re-sized after they're made, so you'd need to get that information one way or another -- but he's a super nice guy to work with and there are pretty much infinite options for customising it one way or another, or using the other metals he works with, etc. (I'm not associated with them, just a happy customer)

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    According to my wife, she knew from the beginning that she wanted to marry me. We dated for 3 years before I proposed, and admittedly i was never as sure as she was.

We had discussed the prospect of living together forever, and family and stuff. We were basically married already to be honest. We had merged our finances and were already living together. (Although actually being married turned out to be quite different then playing at it!)

But the romance of the moment is really in how you build it. Event though we had discussed it many times, the actual moment that i proposed, and the way in which i proposed was defiantly a surprise and was full of romance that was meaningful to us.

Oh also, one more thing. I had worked long and hard to pick the ring and make the proposal special. I though, afterwards "that's it... we are engaged." But that is not it, that is the only the beginning... because then comes planning the wedding. And, while all weddings are different, if your wife wants traditional things, you are in for a lot of new and exciting experiences as you plan what is essentially a huge party for all your friends and family. A party she may have been planning in her head for some time now.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    I surprise-proposed to my wife. She wanted an antique ring rather than a tradional diamond solitare which is a pretty wide field and quite open to a costly failure. Instead i just got her a cheap place holder ring (I've heard of people using one from the inside of a cracker but YMMV), then we went ring shopping together so we could get something she definately liked.

Depends on your partner of course, but you'd hope the proposal generated enough excitement to fill the next few days whilst you picked up the perfect ring together.

• Options
    SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    As you know her better, you'll know what the best approach is. In my situation I knew what style of jewelry she preferred based on a few pieces I had purchased for her over the years. I also knew her ring size due to some not-so-subtle hinting. (She knew it was coming so while the down-on-one knee moment wasn't necessarily a surprise, the anticipation and the evening leading up to it made it wonderful.)

There was a bit of time spent online researching diamond terminology and ratings so I could try to speak intelligently when looking at the stones. Admittedly, shopping for the diamond was a lot of fun and after awhile I could tell the differences in color and clarity between the diamonds they showed me. The only thing I regret regarding the experience was my answer to the first question of, "What's your budget?" I should have started ridiculously high just to see what their best diamonds looked like and then waved it off as being too gaudy.

If you are getting a wedding band, consider finding out if there is a matching band for the engagement ring. After picking out the proposal we went looking for the matching band and were surprised that there wasn't one. Thankfully, the employee was heading to a trade show and kept us in mind to find a band that would work.

Side story:
    I had a coworker who was in a committed relationship and certainly planned on proposing to his girlfriend. However, she was far more anxious and each time she brought it up he would put his index finger and thumb into an open pinching position and then reduce the gap a bit. It was basically his joke that each time she brought it up, he was going to shrink the diamond's size. Wish I had used that. Haha.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I think you have to decide if this is going to be a surprise ring or if you want her input. You can't really talk to her about what the ring is going to look like and then expect the kind of surprise you'd get if she just wasn't expecting this. Of course it's going to be exciting when she gets the ring from you, but what are your expectations here?

Let's not just talk about the icing, when determining if getting married is a good idea you should be talking about debt, religion, and kids. If you 2 don't see eye to eye on those you're in for problems.

It sounds like you've had enough talk with her about marriage in general and how it relates to the diamond industry enough to know that she would like to get married too. Now you're just working out the details of the ring. Right?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Also note that if you go to a reputable jewlry store they generally have generous return, exchange and upgrade policies so if there is an error, or the ring needs to be resized, or she is allergic to white gold or something like that, you can go back and get something else.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    If you want it designed with her input, but still want to do the one knee thing as a surprise, then propose with something cheap but pretty as placeholder.

Best of all worlds.

This is the route I went - I got my fiancée a sapphire, low cost engagement ring because she'd mentioned offhand at one point that she really liked sapphires. As it turned out, I (supposedly) picked the perfect ring and she's more interested in what I got her that resetting the family diamond I inherited. You never know.

Regardless, inviting them to be part of the ring selection process is a pretty huge win with the right audience.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Personally, my wife and I did what lonelyahava and her beau did -- we had discussed it before hand, she told me some of what she thought she liked and didn't like, and we went to a jeweler to further clarify what it was she wanted. I'm really glad we did -- what she said she liked before going to the jeweler and what she ended up wanting after we came away from the jeweler were two radically different things.

I used that session to build my idea about what I wanted to get her. I happen to dislike the diamond industry, as well, so I bought a Canadian stone from Brilliant Earth and had it set the way she likes. Then I planned out the exact specifics of where, when and how I was going to ask her -- after dinner, I acted like I'd spontaneously had the idea of going out with her to grab some dessert, for we'd none in the house, and while we were out for six minutes, ten of my friends showed up, dug my spare key out of a slick, and filled the apartment with a rose petals and a candle for every day we'd been together. They also got a bottle of champagne I'd hidden away and put it in a silver ice bucket by the bed, and then they vacated out the back when we drove up.

I'm glad they didn't accidentally burn the place down, apparently they used a kitchen blow torch.

So she had a general idea about what the ring was going to look like and all, but she hadn't seen the exact stone or setting yet, and she didn't know anything about the set-up for me popping the question until she opened the front door when we came back with our baklava. As far as what you should do, you know your lady better than anyone. That's how I did it, and it might work for you, but I don't believe there's any such thing as a "best practices." It's all about what works for you.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    There are lots of ways to keep it interesting/surprising/romantic. Just a few thoughts from the way mine went down.

You should really have some general conversations before you decide anything (which it sounds like you've maybe done). You should probably know whether or not she wants to get married, and you can usually tell without having to come right out and ask. Also you should try and get an idea of what she is thinking about the ring; not only what types she likes, but also what she expects in terms of picking it out herself, or being totally surprised.

This is what I did and some of it was good, some of it was bad. I learned a bit about her style by asking about what kind of jewelry she liked (the implication being that I was thinking about a birthday/christmas/whatever gift rather than engagement ring). You can learn a lot this way. Including whether or not she generally likes jewelry gifts, or if she finds that her favorite pieces are generally the ones she picks out herself. My wife likes her own stuff so I proceeded a bit further and had a few conversations where I straight up asked if she'd ever thought about what type of engagement ring she'd like. Turns out she had a specific one picked out. In this case I played it off like I might want the information down the road but I wasn't sure yet. In that sense I hadn't really changed anything since she obviously knew I was thinking about marriage but wasn't sure yet (because we had a few conversations about it). I can attest that this will probably be successful in keeping the element of surprise. I can also attest that it's not a great idea to then postpone any further talks about it for 6ish months. This can lead to your SO thinking that you must have decided by now, and the lack of a proposal can not be good news.

That being said, even though I put my wife through all that worrying to keep up the surprise, it was mostly unimportant in terms of the actual proposal. How you do the proposal will have the most impact on whether or not they are surprised. You have a conversation and decided together to get married, but tell her that you are going to wait to propose, and it can still be very surprising/romantic.

So I guess my suggestion is be not so subtle about your intentions, and ask some leading if not straight up direct questions about what she wants/likes involving the ring. Then turn around and do something completely unexpected for the proposal.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    In regards to the diamond and the diamond industry. You can't get around the price-fixing but you can avoid some of the nastiness by getting a diamond with a certificate letting you know where it's from. The one I got for my fiance is from a Canadian mine, you get a little booklet with a certificate showing loads of stuff about it and on google maps you can even go find where it was from. There's definitely a bit of a market for traceable diamonds now.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I'll throw in my two cents (got engaged in December)...

I also highly recommend having a discussion with your (hopefully) future-fiancee, possibly not even about what kinds of rings she'd like but more about the 'do you want to be totally surprised / would you rather do these things as a couple' question. I know in my case that my fiancee would probably in theory have preferred a surprise, but a) she was also fairly picky about what styles she likes, and b) I quite honestly wasn't comfortable spending that amount on something that I wasn't confident she'd like. In the end, we went ring shopping together, and it was quite honestly a really fun experience, and one that looking back I think we both enjoyed and wouldn't have traded for a bit more surprise.

The other option with something like that is that you can pick out the ring together, but like SammyF (or myself - see link in my sig) go a little more surprising with the actual proposal. I think the 'pretend you're just shopping but then propose in the store' idea is really silly - just go physically pick up the ring by yourself, and then you can hold onto it for however long you want to set up something that actually fits the two of you and your personalities.

We had a fairly good experience at ShaneCo (a Jared/etc chain store, but the ring came with free lifetime warranty & cleaning service)... we also looked a decent amount into lab-created diamonds (they're actual diamonds that are man-made, not cubic zirconium - there's a few websites that have them (http://d.neadiamonds.com/ is one that I'm actually looking at for my marriage band), but watch out for scam websites that have fake diamonds), which fit us well (both scientists), but in the end it was more worth it to us to be able to physically see the setting and the diamond than to buy it sight-unseen online.

Best of luck! :)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You know what works best for you and your lady.

As for proposals?

hah. Ours is certainly unique. After we went and picked up the ring (the jeweler called ecco and then emailed me to let me know that it was done, including a photo of it which of course made me cry instantly), I tried it on to make sure it fit. and then I handed it back to ecco. or tried to. he told me to keep it on. So I did. He hadn't 'officially' proposed yet, although the jeweller was like 'well there's some great little cafe's just down the street, good food and a great setting', but nope.

The actual proposal came three nights later, as we were getting ready for bed. Ecco was laying on the bed, almost half asleep and he was all, "I give up. I have been trying to think of some way to surprise you with a proposal, but I can't. So would you like to marry me?" I said "yes" and that was it.

But we'd been talking about getting married probably before I even moved down to new zealand to be with him. It was in the long term plans. I move to new zealand, we live together for a while, and if it worked how we were positive it would, then we'd get married. But I'm very much like ceres in that I like to discuss these things. Surprises and shocks are not a thing, and I knew what I wanted. The only thing different about my ring than the one that I had designed as a little girl is my center stone. In all my original fantasies, my center stone was a sapphire. In my reality ring, it's a citrine. And I would never ever trade it for anything.

If your lady is the kind to want the surprise, then surprise her. Ask her with a small band and then go find the perfect ring. Or find the perfect ring and ask her with that. Try to not overthink it, would be my next bit of advice. Because, i think, if you overthink it too much, it will become a chore instead of you doing something that you want to do for your lady. And that's not fun for anybody.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    In regards to the diamond and the diamond industry. You can't get around the price-fixing but you can avoid some of the nastiness by getting a diamond with a certificate letting you know where it's from. The one I got for my fiance is from a Canadian mine, you get a little booklet with a certificate showing loads of stuff about it and on google maps you can even go find where it was from. There's definitely a bit of a market for traceable diamonds now.

The reality is that those certificates are almost meaningless.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/01/02/rough_cut

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    We had discussed getting married, and he got me a ring from a jeweler. I'm not sure how much money he spent on, less than $1000 I think, but it was a diamond... with a gold band.. basically not at all what I pictured ;P

We actually ended up deciding to sell that ring to put towards buying a car! hah :) But later, when we were actually getting married we had a really fun day of going around town looking for second hand/antique rings. I ended up finding a beautiful ring that had a silver band with yellow and rose gold accents, and a blue stone (not a sapphire but I can't remember now what it is)... it only cost $20. Brought it across the street to a local reputable jeweler and had them take a look at it. Originally I just asked them to clean it, but they said they could refinish it for $30. They did and damn if that thing didn't look brand new!

So yeah... while the first proposal was more of a surprise I would have rather he just got a plastic ring as a placeholder and had us go shopping together.

This discussion has been closed.