As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old games that should be remade - what would you change?

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
Let's just get this out of the way right now:
What the fuck are video games?

XCom is fucking awesome, I don't even care. It's pretty much as addictive as the original to me and all of the dumb things (like micromanaging ammunition) are gone. The fat has been trimmed, so to speak.

Then I hear about this reboot of SimCity. I don't know if it's going to be as great as XCom but it got me thinking that there's a lot of gold in them thar hills when it comes to rebooting these old franchises and making them better based on what we now know to be true about gaming. Working with existing franchises is a win-win for companies and people who grew up with the game in question alike, because companies have less work to do when it comes to game design and the people who played them as kids/young adults/older adults/Druhim get to tell their kids or pretty much anyone how lucky they are to get to experience such an awesome thing with fancy new graphics and streamlined gameplay.

Of course there's also always the potential somebody will pick up a franchise and stick a pitchfork up its bum just to make a quick buck but let's be optimists in this thread!

So there are two games I used to play quite a bit growing up that I think could be relatively awesome in a modern context.

The first is Robot Rascals. Not very many people played this so I don't think it will get a reboot but I'm going to talk about what a reboot would look like anyway.

1145193828-00.jpg

This was one of the very first "party" games. The concept was a very clever integration of real world board/card game mechanics and video game execution.

You got a hand with a set size and you decided on a card and video game difficulty, and every player got to pick a robot as their in-game avatar. Your hand consisted of three types of cards, all of which had some sort of cute pixellated robot part on them: green, which provided your robot with some in-game benefit such as increased energy or speed, yellow, which did nothing at all, and red, which had nasty detrimental effects to your 'bot. If you chose to play with an easier card difficulty, you could remove the red and yellow cards from the deck. Increased card game difficulties added yellow and red cards to the deck. There was also a separate deck, which when drawn could have positive, neutral or negative effects (an example would be the "Pass the Trash to the Left" card, which let every player pick their least favorite card and pass it).

But whether you won or lost depended on the in-game execution.

Robot_Rascals_ingame.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ThZ2NX_5rM

(OH MY GOD PC SPEAKER IN MY EARS IT'S LIKE SOMEONE IS SCRAPING THEIR NAILS ON THE CHALKBOARD NEXT TO MY EARS)

See, to win, you had to get every part in your hand at the end of your turn. Every robot starts in a different place, and every possible item is scattered throughout the map. Sometimes items would be in dangerous places, like rocks that would damage your robot's shields, or at the bottom of a lake, which would take a lot of fuel to get to (unless you had a part which would mitigate damage and/or fuel loss!). The bubble in the picture is a "home base", which provided several potential benefits (increased fuel during the next turn, invulnerability to robot attacks, etc.) Every turn there is a different advantage/disadvantage that applies to all robots (speed change, powerful/weak/no shields, free teleporting from one base to another, and so on). At any point in your turn, you can have your robot scan for a part. He will do a little dance and point in the direction you need to go. The faster your robot dances, the closer you are to the part. Get close enough and scanning actually retrieves the part for you. Scanning costs fuel every time you do it, though!

You alone know what cards you need to win. So there's a psychological side to things, too. There is nothing preventing a player from searching for a part that they do not actually need to win the game. If you pick up a couple of neutral parts you happen to be close to and make it appear as if you are close to winning, then search for an object with a crippling detrimental effect, you might cause havoc as everyone scrambles to go pick up that horrible, crippling part that you don't actually need. Another player might actually need that piece of shit, and he might call you out on it; but why would he want everybody to know that he needs it? Of course, that strategy might backfire if everyone decides to come beat the piss out of you.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You could spend your fuel taking down another robot's shields, if you have enough and you like to play games in the meanest way possible (who doesn't). Once their shields are down, you can steal parts from them, but you had to be careful not to waste all your fuel doing this or you won't be able to get far enough away to avoid them simply walking right over and taking their stuff back. Cue the look of horror on one player's face as his robot runs out of fuel inches from a home base, and the shrieks and jeers of the rest of the players as they realize it will be easy to rob them blind.

Video game difficulty adjustments could be customized; you could have environmental damage be quite nasty or relatively harmless, you could pretty much set whatever turn length (fuel) you wanted, and so forth.

The game was fun enough in its own right to be played today if you can find a copy and a machine to play it on (DOSBox is probably your best bet, it also came out on the Apple ][ and Commodore 64 wooooooo). The cards are the toughest thing to replicate if someone doesn't have them still in the box, but you could print your own copy of those easily enough.

So how would I update this game? Well, physical cards are clunky. If we're going digital, we're going digital. I think this could be done amazingly on iPhone/iPad. Only you would have access to your cards and you could still display the other player's turn on all screens. An alternative would be the Wii U; the controller lends itself perfectly to this sort of game. Finally, an online-only PC version would be cool, but it would miss out a little on the social aspect unless you had camera feeds of all the players on-screen.

I like the fact that the original game is primarily social/strategy based; you don't have to be "us gamers" (ughhh) to win or even be really good at it. The game aspect is mostly a digital scavenger hunt with the option to be mean thrown in there. For people who insist on having some element of twitch in their games, you could add an optional combat system to allow players to defend against attacks on their robot; however, I feel like this isn't in the spirit of the game and gets into The Covert Action Rule.

The UI is ambiguous at times. It is occasionally difficult to tell if going after a part in a big patch of rocks will spell disaster or if you'll be able to get in and get out with very little trouble. I'd tweak the game to make risk assessment of this kind a little better, using numbers along with the meters so you know exactly how many seconds you can go traipsing in the hazards before you're screwed.

I'd also take a page from Smash Bros. and allow true full customization of gameplay. Your group of friends can't stand it when a certain rule comes up during a turn? Remove it. One of the cards is too powerful? Take it out of play. Wanna play with no home bases? Cool. The game plodding along too slow for your tastes? Give everybody lightning speed. I personally like the way you are only using fuel if you're actually performing an action, but maybe you only have a set amount of time to play. In that case, set up a game with a definite end time and let the game calculate turn lengths in real time units. If time expires before someone has all their parts, whoever is closest wins.

The original game didn't know what cards you had. Only you did. So when you got all your cards, you had to hit the "I WIN" key to say you had beaten everybody else. With the cards integrated into gameplay, though, that's no longer necessary.

Four players were not just recommended to play this way back when; they were required. It actually killed sales, since people were nervous they'd buy a game that could only be played when three other people wanted to play. Nowadays that's clearly less of a concern with the success of Left 4 Dead and other multiplayer-only offerings. Still, modern Bomberman lets you play with more or less than 4 people. That should be applicable here as well. I wouldn't want a single-player mode. Playing against an AI that's programmed to make mistakes occasionally really bothers me in games where I know the PC is all-knowing and limiting itself, for some reason.

Finally, graphics. The pixels are cute (especially on the cards) and that sort of art decision doesn't need to go away. I'm thinking along the lines of Darwinia or Super Meat Boy. Basically, gameplay before graphics, but improve the graphics to where they're stylized, not photorealistic. This sort of game doesn't really need the latest and greatest video card, nor should it.

I know I mentioned another game but this OP is really long already, so I'll save that game for a later post (unless someone beats me to it).

Okay! Which games' graves would you plunge a lightning rod into and resurrect in this way? I want details of how you'd streamline them, not just a list of names, and if it's obscure or really old and nobody is likely to have played it, describe it for us so we know what the hell you're talking about.

This ain't a poll thread! Tell us what, how and most importantly why you make your design choices.

• The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    Mail Order Monsters

It was an old Commodore 64 game in which you could buy a stable of monsters then pay to have them mutated and then buy weapons and equipment for them to use to blast each other to bits. Oh, and you also gambled on the outcome so you could make money and upgrade your monster. It's kind of like Pokemon for grown ups.

Monsters included things like a giant squid, t-rex, giant spider, psychic humanoid, etc. Once you bought your stock monster you could mutate it not only to increase its base speed, health, strength, etc., but also to give it new attacks and abilities. For instance, you could mutate a set of claws onto your giant squid or give your t-rex a psychic mind blast. Then you could buy your mutant abomination things like missiles, guns and lasers. Certain weapons required certain traits on your monster. For instance, if you wanted your giant spider to equip a sword, you had to mutate it so it had hands. I remember there was a weapon called a mutilas (multilas?) that was a badass gun, but required tentacles.

Most weapons (natural and equipped) required resources to use. Basic stuff like the sword, bite/claw attacks didn't, but anything more advanced required "ammo" (equipped) or "food" (natural). You had to buy this stuff in advance, and if you ran out in the field, then you couldn't use weapons that relied on that. Weapons also had a cooldowns.

Once you equipped your monster you sent him out into the field to battle to death with another monster. There were also arenas where you played capture the flag or defended the map from aliens until one of you died (and you could still attack each other). Once your monster died, that was it. He's dead. You lost everything you bought for him. If you had no monsters and were below a minimum level of wealth, the "monster fighting league" gave you a little cash so you could get started again.

A game like this if done today obviously cries out for online multi-player. The original was 1-on-1 against someone sitting next to you with another joystick. While the monsters in the original weren't supposed to be giant monsters, I think if i were to do it today, I'd make it akin to games like War of Monsters. Monsters are all towering juggernauts and they duke it out in old city ruins. Something kind of like Mechwarrior Online but with giant mutated monsters you play from a third person perspective.

Since I'm not a huge fan of purely competitive games, I'd also like to see a co-op mode where you and your buddies could team up against an alien menace or against computer controlled monsters.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Don't get me started on my ideas for a soul reaver remake.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    what the fuck are- oh, right

umm

Mischief Makers with more palatable controls and giant HD sprites kthx

• RinderRinder Registered User regular
    Rise of the Robots with controls that functioned and greater move sets.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    There's an isometric turnbased Shadowrun and a Planescape spiritual sequel in the works. I feel that asking for more would be greedy.

Oh and the huge Roberts space sim.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Rinder wrote: »

No I'm sorry, Rise of the Robots is beyond repair. There is literally no way to fix it. You would have to start from scratch and create something new that does not resemble Rise of the Robots in any way.

That's more of a "make" than a "remake".

vagrant story remake please

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I'd remake sonic the hedgehog except it wouldn't be fuckin' dumb

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    hi haters

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I would take Dark Cloud 2, and turn it entirely into a Fishing game. No combat, just wide open rivers and seas with a bunch of weird fantasy fish.
    It would keep the Fish racing, fighting, breeding mini-games of course.
    You'd still have your photography and building stuff, but it would focus on making sweet angling fishing boats, or just plain ole' gear.

Max and Monica, will still come from the present and future, respectively, to stop the main antagonist, Emperor Griffon who wishes to destroy the present from the past. (Griffon is some sort of cute Bunny Fish)
    Conflicts will be resolved via fishing challenges, and restoring/rebuilding fishing villages.

Oh and the cool golf game would be kept, because why not.

VayBJ4e.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

please make the crafting system not fucking labyrinthine

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mail Order Monsters

It was an old Commodore 64 game in which you could buy a stable of monsters then pay to have them mutated and then buy weapons and equipment for them to use to blast each other to bits. Oh, and you also gambled on the outcome so you could make money and upgrade your monster. It's kind of like Pokemon for grown ups.

Monsters included things like a giant squid, t-rex, giant spider, psychic humanoid, etc. Once you bought your stock monster you could mutate it not only to increase its base speed, health, strength, etc., but also to give it new attacks and abilities. For instance, you could mutate a set of claws onto your giant squid or give your t-rex a psychic mind blast. Then you could buy your mutant abomination things like missiles, guns and lasers. Certain weapons required certain traits on your monster. For instance, if you wanted your giant spider to equip a sword, you had to mutate it so it had hands. I remember there was a weapon called a mutilas (multilas?) that was a badass gun, but required tentacles.

Most weapons (natural and equipped) required resources to use. Basic stuff like the sword, bite/claw attacks didn't, but anything more advanced required "ammo" (equipped) or "food" (natural). You had to buy this stuff in advance, and if you ran out in the field, then you couldn't use weapons that relied on that. Weapons also had a cooldowns.

Once you equipped your monster you sent him out into the field to battle to death with another monster. There were also arenas where you played capture the flag or defended the map from aliens until one of you died (and you could still attack each other). Once your monster died, that was it. He's dead. You lost everything you bought for him. If you had no monsters and were below a minimum level of wealth, the "monster fighting league" gave you a little cash so you could get started again.

A game like this if done today obviously cries out for online multi-player. The original was 1-on-1 against someone sitting next to you with another joystick. While the monsters in the original weren't supposed to be giant monsters, I think if i were to do it today, I'd make it akin to games like War of Monsters. Monsters are all towering juggernauts and they duke it out in old city ruins. Something kind of like Mechwarrior Online but with giant mutated monsters you play from a third person perspective.

Since I'm not a huge fan of purely competitive games, I'd also like to see a co-op mode where you and your buddies could team up against an alien menace or against computer controlled monsters.

Oh man, I remember Mail Order Monsters.

Nobody would play it with me though! With Robot Rascals I could pull out cards and say, "Look, it's not really a computer game".

MoM could be sort of insane if you had more than two people duking it out. I would take out the ammo/food crap though. I don't understand why lots of old games insisted on having that sort of mundane tedious micromanaging busywork. Let me focus on the huge insane fuzzy beast that can blow other monsters up with its mind, not on whether or not it's got enough to eat.

Uriel wrote: »

I think I sort of did!

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Fear Effect is one of my favorite IPs of all time, and it is an eternal bummer to me that the third game in the series for PS2 got cancelled

With current PS3 and Wii U controllers having gyroscopes built into the controller, I think they could do something cool with the "fear" mechanic

As much as I love those games, they aren't scary, and the relative "fear" of the fear meter was wholly reliant on the fear the characters would be feeling in that situation (which let's face it, I'd be scared shitless)

I figure if they could do some generally unnerving shit, combine it with decent (and unexpected, this is the hard part 'cause games can't seem to do this for shit anymore) jump scares and then use the gyroscopes in the controller to see how the player reacts during a certain window of time based on when that scare occurs, they could feed that into the fear system of the game to where it actually starts to affect your character's performance

I'd remake sonic the hedgehog except it wouldn't be fuckin' dumb

hi chris 8->

PiptheFair wrote: »

please make the crafting system not fucking labyrinthine

but that was like its entire appeal

i finally maxed all elements on my hagane set time to convert it all into damascus and ajhsfhjaefffffffffffffff

I think I sort of did!

I'ma write some of them down into a text file and try to format them in a way that makes sense.

what was the other thing

jazeraint/dread armor

Fear Effect is one of my favorite IPs of all time, and it is an eternal bummer to me that the third game in the series for PS2 got cancelled

With current PS3 and Wii U controllers having gyroscopes built into the controller, I think they could do something cool with the "fear" mechanic

As much as I love those games, they aren't scary, and the relative "fear" of the fear meter was wholly reliant on the fear the characters would be feeling in that situation (which let's face it, I'd be scared shitless)

I figure if they could do some generally unnerving shit, combine it with decent (and unexpected, this is the hard part 'cause games can't seem to do this for shit anymore) jump scares and then use the gyroscopes in the controller to see how the player reacts during a certain window of time based on when that scare occurs, they could feed that into the fear system of the game to where it actually starts to affect your character's performance

Cue tons of players setting the controller on the ground and bracing it when they suspect something scary is about to happen :P

Fear Effect could also really use a new coat of paint, I remember being impressed with it back in the day but now if I try to watch a video of it I'm right in the uncanny valley in the worst way imaginable

okay okay check it

we take super mario

and add cheevos

I don't know, one of the hugest cockteases in the history of the industry

You sort of have to admire it

okay okay check it

we take super mario

and add cheevos

l.jpg

geth certainly did

'mired that good and hard

remake that bioware sonic rpg because that actually had a shred of potential before uh

well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o47N-aYd08

>Beavis mashing on an electronic piano.gif

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    okay okay check it

we take super mario

and add cheevos

Give it to me

I want it

waluigi time

edited March 2013
    remake that bioware sonic rpg because that actually had a shred of potential before uh

well

Hey, it worked for Mario.

I think 99% of the reason people hate old Sonic games is because of new Sonic games and Sonic cosplay.

joshofalltrades on
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Rinder wrote: »

No I'm sorry, Rise of the Robots is beyond repair. There is literally no way to fix it. You would have to start from scratch and create something new that does not resemble Rise of the Robots in any way.

That's more of a "make" than a "remake".

I played Rise of the Robots way too much as a kid, meaning I played it for more than fifteen minutes

I really thought I could just will it into something resembling fun if I tried hard enough

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular

well

what in the sacred fuck is this

as someone who has been composing music with midi since age 11 this is like actually personally offensive to me

I was literally writing shit better than this when i was 13 for my friend's RPGmaker2000 projects

It's the central city theme

I would guess that means you get to hear it often!

• TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013

Preach my brother!

Edit: Although if I'm honest, change the block puzzles to something different, tweak the controls so they're more fluid, and give me HD graphics and I am in.

TrueHereticX on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    your mom

zkHcp.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I used to think that a 3D Gradius game that played like a mix of ace combat and star fox would be cool

I still think that would be cool, I guess?

there's been about a decade since I've thought about Gradius so don't hold me to this

f2ojmwh3geue.png

Preach my brother!
    IT would be a character action game with an expansive overworld and areas you need certain items to get through like zelda or metroid.

My dream soul reaver remake would be handled by the guys who did Darksiders, even the artists, but don't let them get too macfarlany on the characters.

Then you add in some stealth elements for raziel for when he doesn't have the reaver out, and have Kain Sections where you straight up LAY WASTE to whole amries of enemies and even parts of the enviroment unlocking new areas for raz later in the game...

• TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Preach my brother!
    IT would be a character action game with an expansive overworld and areas you need certain items to get through like zelda or metroid.

My dream soul reaver remake would be handled by the guys who did Darksiders, even the artists, but don't let them get too macfarlany on the characters.

Then you add in some stealth elements for raziel for when he doesn't have the reaver out, and have Kain Sections where you straight up LAY WASTE to whole amries of enemies and even parts of the enviroment unlocking new areas for raz later in the game...

Hook it to my veins.

I do however have some high fucking hopes for that Squeenix registering the domain warfornosgoth.whatever

IF they announce a new LoK game at E3 I will literally not be able to contain myself.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    remake legend of zelda 1 instead of continually remaking ocarina of time. Which was a remake of LttP.

It's okay.

We've played ocarina enough times now.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii