As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saints Row IV - Mod tools! Laser katanas! Romance options! Wall running! Terry Crews!

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Guess who got to play this at PAX today?

(It was totally me)

(I raced there at the very beginning of the con)

This game is pretty great you guys.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What system was it on? How were the controls? What part of the game did you play? Can you still taunt and compliment?

• Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    Can you still taunt and compliment?

You can still taunt/compliment by holding left/right on the dpad until it procs. The active superpowers switch when you just press a direction.

• Options
    What system was it on? How were the controls? What part of the game did you play? Can you still taunt and compliment?
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    @Idolninja

I'm not sure if you answered this question in one of your articles. I looked, but I didn't see it. And I'm not sure if you feel the NDA prevents you from answering...

Can we customize the clothes of the Saints lieutenants? I've seen Pierce dressed all dapper in the Independence Day trailer, and then I swear I saw him dressed as Kung Lao, and I think I saw him wearing one of those gray jumpsuits too. And I've seen other characters wearing a kind of tactical spec ops outfit, outside of the first mission.

All of those things are all mission/story driven. But, the place where you would probably do any kind of customizing was pretty broken with menus not working correctly and crashing and things. So, unknown.
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    Can you still taunt and compliment?

You can still taunt/compliment by holding left/right on the dpad until it procs. The active superpowers switch when you just press a direction.

Many thanks, buddy.

I wish I had this game now.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I believe it was running on 360. The first time I played I was a bit clumsy because I only really use KBAM, so the controller really messed me up (though I did manage to do a taunt by random button pressing). I managed to get another go today though, and ran to one of the clothing stores to have a look. Got in and... time was up. Foiled again!

The superpowers are impressively natural to control. Even when I had no clue how to use one of these alien "gamepad" devices, I was sprinting, freezing, throwing and stomping random dudes. I still really do wish they'd made a new city instead of reusing the one from SR3 with tweaks, but the rest of the game's okay. I do kind of wonder how they plan to make this challenging at all though, as I had no sense of fear at all with all these superpowers at my disposal. Then again, demo unit, may well be late-game status with their power.

Edit: It was an artificial slice of the game from... I'd say maybe about the middle? I had some superpowers and skinned weapons, but nothing seemed as outrageous as the endgame content surely will be. You just got dumped on a random street, really. The laser sword is pretty damn neat, probably my favourite weapon from the demo. Slicing up streetlamps and bits of cars is as fun as people (though dismemberment on NPCs would be a very welcome touch, compared to the sort of dissolve effect they have now).

Suriko on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You can slice cars?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I'll make a beeline to the SRIV booth tomorrow to do testing with the katana and make another attempt on a clothing store (my god I want to check if there's a nice shirt+vest combo without the stupid cut off sleeve).

Memory's fading , but I believe you could slice detached pieces of cars (doors etc), but it only broke off pieces from the cars itself in the usual way.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Whoa, haven't checked on foreign currencies for a while. Apparently, perfectly normal games are suddenly worth more than $70 here.
    I wonder if a preorder is worth not waiting for some kind of winter-discount or regular old pricedrop.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I think so, but I most likely haven't the hardware to run it. Looks like it will be another year until I can conveniently upgrade.

PLA on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Now they want me to reinstall Windows.

Guess i'm not playing SR3 again. Shame.

[e]Except I just deleted all the content and reinstalled it... again, for the fourth time. But this time it worked, and now the game runs fine.

I... don't really get it, but whatever.

Aistan on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    PC gaming is a tempestuous mistress at times.

Edit: Spoilers for how the first mission ends
    Clinging to the side of an ICBM while Aerosmith's, "Don't want to miss a thing," plays. :D

http://www.nowgamer.com/xbox-360/xbox-360-previews/2010892/saints_row_4_the_most_ridiculous_game_ever_made.html

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I'm at the Saints Row 4 comic con panel. I'm pretty sure IdolNinja already has said everything about the game, but if I hear anything new I'll let you guys know.

Edit: I'm kind of far back but one of the cards I can read says that Troy Baker is here. And Laura Bailey. DB and yuri as well.

JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/433389762

Skip to 2:35.20 for a SDCC interview with Steve Jaros and Troy Baker with SR4 footage that was done before the panel.

• Options
    Played again. Testing with the laser sword revealed that cars are just hit like any normal bat/melee object,. Debris (doors, trunks, etc) do the purple dissolve effect that NPCs do. Kinda disappointing, but oh well.

Didn't manage to reach a clothing store, but did get to a gun store. Barely anything was on sale though, so I think it was locked-down for the demo.

• Options
    The laser sword still sounds great.

Idolninja shoutout in that video, neat!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the pleasure you get out of gaming is proportional to the effort you put into it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ah, first good view of the black hole's spaghettification.

Edit: Also spoilers, I guess.

Edit: Sweetlooking vest-thing with top-hat.
    Wait, is that other outfit Han Solo?

PLA on
  • Options
    Bunch of stuff in that stream, like gaining additional enhancements to your powers by completing challenges.
    Such as running on water.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Yep, I'm pretty sure the "Puckish Rogue" costume is Han Solo's iconic outfit, just in different colors.

There's a lot of neat stuff in that SDCC video. There's a ton of stuff everywhere in the map. There's 1255 of something. I'm not sure if Jaros is talking about the clusters or all collectables... but there's actually a reason to collect those clusters. I don't have any motivation to finish the collectables in SR3. They give you a little bit of money, but I earn thousands of dollars every couple of minutes, so there's no need need.

There's a ton of weapon customization things. I know Idolninja mentioned numbers in his articles, but to actually see a short glimpse of the options for just one weapon type was neat.

And the Saints Book thing of challenges is huge.

If this was just going to be SR3 with super running and jumping, I'd buy it again.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    There's 1255 of something. I'm not sure if Jaros is talking about the clusters or all collectables...

1255 was just for the clusters alone. Some numbers from the statistics menu of the press preview from the articles I did:

(Not particularly spoilery, but just in case)
    Missions: 37 (likely counts the side quests too)
    Loyalty missions: 7
    Activities: 32
    Neighborhoods: 17
    Hotspots: 6
    Flashpoints: 32
    Stores Hacked: 34
    Audio Logs: 39
    Clusters: 1255
    Zinyak Statues Destroyed: 36
    Text Adventure Pieces: 8

http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/hands-on-with-the-saints-row-iv-press-preview.2759/
    http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/saints-row-iv-press-preview-followup.2823/

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Oh my god why didn't I try the Russian voice before. She's hilarious!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »

Enjoy your single best playthrough of SR3.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    French-boss better be as good as Russian-boss or PREORDER CANCELLED.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm gonna miss hispanic boss, but french boss does have potential

first run through will be with laura bailey though

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i'm gonna miss hispanic boss, but french boss does have potential

first run through will be with laura bailey though

They should suprise us and have Laura Bailey use her southren drawl voice.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Double post. Darn forums.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So this girl I had previously dated is named Laura Bailey

So last week when I came home and found out about Laura Bailey being back as an option for the Boss I foolishly posted this on Facebook:
    Just found out Laura Bailey is an option again! Rejoice!

And today I was met with not-too-kind words

• Options
    Worth it.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Started a new playthrough of 3 for fun, figured I should try for 100%. Can I still do Survival challenges after beating the story? I should know since I've already beaten the game once before, but that was like 2 years ago.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Lots of new info from the SDCC panel:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/21/more-saints-row-madness-incoming.aspx
    Players will run into members of Saints Row II's Ronin gang in the new game.

Jaros says that two separate teams came up with the idea for the game's dubstep gun independently. He blames the presence of beer in the office.

Jaros also says that players will learn how Johnny Gat is being brought back from the dead. He says that while silly things often get waved away in the Saints Row universe, they didn't want to do that with Gat. In other words, there will be a satisfying explanation behind his return.

Baker busted out his Booker DeWitt voice in an imaginary conversation between his BioShock Infinite and his Saints Row characters. "I came looking for the girl," he intoned as DeWitt. "Bring us the girl and we'll wipe away the debt." "F--- THAT!" he shouted back.

The alien Zinyak reads the entire first chapter of Pride and Prejudice over the in-game radio in the first part of the game.

The original ending included a choreographed Bollywood-inspired dance number. It was scrapped, but players can expect to see a bit of that flavor. "Saints Row is all about the arts," Jaros joked.

The first DLC called Enter the Dominatrix is coming 45 days after the game ships. It features a behind-the-scenes style narration as the characters explain why the content was cut from the game.

Jaros talked about the time during THQ's bankruptcy. He says the difference between Deep Silver and other groups that were investigating a purchase was night and day. They walked in and out of their offices and essentially said OK. It turns out, they were fans of what Volition was doing. One unnamed publisher seemed hesitant about Saints Row IV's superpowers, while it was a plus to Deep Silver. Jaros says Deep Silver has been hands off on the creative side, which has been amazing.

There won't be a pro-wrestling gang in Saints Row IV, and the zombie voice won't be returning. A joke is funny once, Jaros says. Wrestler Chris Daniels will be hosting one of the game's radio stations, however.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Started a new playthrough of 3 for fun, figured I should try for 100%. Can I still do Survival challenges after beating the story? I should know since I've already beaten the game once before, but that was like 2 years ago.
    yeah

just do the vehicle challenges relatively early so you don't have too much shit to deal with, and make sure to do the assassination missions and gang challenges before completing the city takeover

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    That scrapped ending sounds like it would have been amazing. 'Merica needs more Bollywood in its life.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    just do the vehicle challenges relatively early so you don't have too much shit to deal with

I wish I had thought about this before I started. I've been working on this playthrough for a few weeks now, and I'm on the last mission. Grinding out hostages, car surfing, carjackings, and human shields isn't fun anymore. :/ I spent about an hour and a half on the taunting gang members challenge, and some of these are worse.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Achire wrote: »

Enjoy your single best playthrough of SR3.

What, better than cockney-boss? I'm looking to do another playthrough of SR3 and I was going to go with femboss, so Russian it is I guess!

Oh and I also got to try SR4 at PAX, but I don't think I can provide any helpful information. I had no idea what I was doing and pretty much just glided around for a bit jumping on things. I also tried shooting things, but my guns were laughably underpowered compared with the super-abilities. Oh and I jacked a hoverbike at one point, which looked and behaved exactly like the one in SR3.

• Options
    Wish someone filmed a video of that panel. :(

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    so have any DLC plans been announced? will there be another season pass?

are we going to get a shitload of those crappy, tiny "get a vehicle and like three outfits" DLCs again?

• Options
    so have any DLC plans been announced? will there be another season pass?

are we going to get a shitload of those crappy, tiny "get a vehicle and like three outfits" DLCs again?

Idolninja mentions the first one in that spoiler quote.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Wish someone filmed a video of that panel. :(

It wasn't a panel; there was a demo in the expo hall. You'd queue up for like an hour and then got to play the game for about 5 minutes. Honestly, I didn't feel like it was worth it. You didn't have much time to do anything, there was no explanation as to what the hell was going on (all I gathered was that you're trying to "destabilize the simulation" by doing various side missions), and it wasn't my boss. It was just a series of pretty blue explosions and neon colours devoid of context.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    I meant the panel with the various voice actors. I haven't heard Laura Bailey talk much about the series.

This discussion has been closed.