As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name that anime?

XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
So, way, way back.. Like 10-12 years ago, I was in high school. Hanging out fairly frequently with a girl I fancied. Watching anime.
Mostly we watched Escaflowne, because fuck yeah, Escaflowne.

But she had this one on DVD (and I realize this is going to sound like every anime ever, so bonus points if you can help me) about a girl who goes to a new high school.. They live in dorms. She feels kinda down-and-out because she has no friends. But then she gets invited to hang out with the elite group (I believe it's the student council, but I could be wrong..) And it turns out they are fencing. It seems to me looking back that they are fencing on the roofs of the school buildings, because I remember a GIANT elevator, but I think it is supposed to be in the sky or something? There is one character who is basically a slave to whoever the winner is, if I remember that right, and I think there was something about rose petals, or something, but that last bit could be completely wrong.

Does this ring any bells for any one? I'd really like to go back and see if it is as good as I remember it being, or if it was just the watching it with girl that was good.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Revolutionary Girl Utena?

• Options
    Yep. That's it. Don't even need to look. I recognized the name as soon as I saw it. Thank you!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That is Utena, but it's not a roof, it's an upside-down castle in the sky. It's probably one of my favorites ever, but it requires several viewings all the way through to really get everything. I don't think most people get a lot farther than "did he just pull a sword out of that chick's boobs? Fuck this."

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Like I said, it's been like 10 years since I've seen it, but I've been trying to remember it on and off for like the past 3. I'm excited to watch it again.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I haven't been much of an anime fan in years and there are very few shows I really enjoyed, but this is definitely one I can fangirlsplooge all over if you get me going. There are just so many levels, a number of them pretty feminist. I have used this anime in actual papers and done actual research on some of the symbolism involved. If you get to watching it and like it enough, you can totally PM me and I will nerd out all over you.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn