As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5th ed] ravenloft, a return to madness (play thread)

oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in youRegistered User regular
To a party of seasoned adventurers such as yourselves, this is but another dull tavern in another dull town in some nameless province. It is but another passage of time between the challenges of true adventuring. Such is the doldrums of existence, waiting for another opportunity.

Outside the Inn, a fog lies over the town this evening, draping everything in its clammy grasp. The damp cobbled street shines as the light of street lanterns dances across the slick stones. The cold fog chills the bones and shivers the soul of anyone outside.

Yet inside these tavern walls the food is hearty and the ale is warm and frothy. A fire blazes in the hearth and the tavern is alive with the tumbling voices of country folk.

Suddenly, a hush falls over the tavern. Even the flagons of ale seem to silence themselves. The tavern door swings open. Framed by the lamp-lit fog, a form strides into the room. His heavy, booted footfalls and the jingle of his coins shatter the silence. His brightly colored clothes are draped in loose folds about him and his hat hangs askew, hiding his eyes in shadows. Without hesitation, he walks directly up to your table and stands proudly in a wide stance with folded arms.

His accented voice speaks, "I have been sent to you to deliver this message. If you be creatures of honor, you will come to my master's aid at first light. It is not advisable to travel the Svalich woods at night!" He pulls from his tunic a sealed letter, addressed to all of you in beautiful flowing script. He drops the letter on the table. "Take the west road from here some five hours march down through the Svalich woods. There you will find my master in Barovia."

Amid the continued silent stares of the patronage, the gypsy strides to the bar and says to the wary barkeeper, "Fill the glasses, one and all. Their throats are obviously parched." He drops a purse heavy with gold on the bar. With that, he leaves.

The babble of tavern voices resumes, although somewhat subdued. The letter is lying before you. Dated yesterday, the ink is still not dry and the parchment is crisp. The seal is of a crest you don't recognize.

you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
-Weather Badge

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Well?" the Beast growls, looking at the rest of the group, "One of you going to read it?"

• Options
    LeperLeper Registered User regular
    "A mystery grows as the scroll lies there. The gypsy knew it. With each passing moment the text gains more... gravity, more importance in your mind, even though you haven't seen a single word," the old preacher drawled, pausing to take a sip of chilled ale before he relaxed in his seat.

"Carried it a long way, he did, but the seal's still there. Gypsy knew somethin' important. Sometimes unread is bettah."

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    Looking over his mug, Gunruth grunts, "So you'd rather sit here nursing your ale? Bah, says I. Let's open the thing and be done with it."

Reaching out for the scroll, "Unless any of you can think of a reason not to? Speak up!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    "Of course we should open the thing, if someone is in need of help we should lend a hand." Taking a swig of his ale Elbus leaned back in his seat staring after the gyspy. "However that fellow should know better than to question the honor of a knight."

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    "No please do open it, I can't be seen opening my own correspondence you understand."

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    "Fancy words mean little to Grul and paper can lie just as easily as messenger or chieftain. Wind Spirits say foul air blows through those trees. The spirits howl in pain...though they do that everywhere these days."

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    "Hand it over then. Let's see what all the fuss is about," says Anton as he reaches for the missive.

• Options
    oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    The wax seal doesn't put up much resistance against Anton's mighty fingers and inside the envelope, as could be expected, is a folded letter that reads
    Hail to thee of might and valor:
    I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within our community.

The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been afflicted by an evil so deadly that even the good people of our town cannot protect her. She languishes from her wound and I would have her saved from this menace.

There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shall but answer my desperate plea.

Come quickly for her time is at hand!All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indrirovich,
    Burgomaster

-Weather Badge
  • Options
    "We must go, for he is master of all Burgers. Burger spirits are not to be messed with."

• Options
    "Spirits be damned," the Beast says, cracking his knuckles. "Let's go fight. Get paid."

• Options
    "More, there is evil there and it must brought to an end." Stopping and putting a hand to his beard. "First light is it? Perhaps we should get some rest."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Night or day, won't mattah," Steiner interjects between sips of ale. "It's fah too late either way, and no two ways 'bout that road."

"But I s'pose we'll all be fool enough to walk it."

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    Do note that no shops are currently open as it's getting late and this is your first and only chance to get any extra provisions before leaving for Barovia.

Just a bit of info, though Barovia itself isn't too far away, it's still five or six hours march will get you to the gates if you keep a steady pace. do note that leaving right now will cause you to arrive rather late, probably around 1am, whereas if you leave at sunrise you should arrive at noon or just after. Barovia is known for being a small, if seclusive, community found in the middle of thick woods, as such, though none of you have ever been there, you can almost be sure that the town of *cough*cough* that you're all currently in has access to far more services and specialty shops to be found then little Barovia.

-Weather Badge
  • Options
    "leaving at first dawn is so gauche. l let us stay, gain the intelligence and supplies we need in the morning and depart at 10"

• Options
    "I agree, we should gather what we can before we leave, though waiting until 10 to do so seems rude."

• Options
    "Getting ourselves lost in the dark won't do the villagers of Barovia any favors. We should gather what supplies we need and depart as soon as possible in the morning."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Getting up from the table, Anton looks to the others and says, "In that case I am off to prepare spells and get some sleep. Don't let the barmaid steal all of your coin again Stefan."

• Options
    Setting his mug on the table Elbus hopped down from his seat. "I'll get some rest and pray that Yondalla favors us on the journey."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    "The Beast will sleep. Tomorrow we go." With that, the Beast retires to wherever it is that he normally sleeps around here. Probably a bed of some kind.

• Options
    Polishing off his ale, Gunruth sets his mug down. "Well, I'll retire as well then. Rest well, a long road awaits us in the morn."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Burgermaster waits, dreams come first."

• Options
    "Ayuh, sleep's what we all need," Steiner intones with the merest of grins. "Think I'll have anothah beer first... Maybe get some 'coin stolen.' I reckon I'll be sleeping plenty soon'nough."

He slugs down what remains in his mug before wandering off in search of a refill and more unusual company.

• Options
    As you all drift into the ether of sleep, you each find yourselves wandering alone on a dirt road, dense trees towering above you and fog so thick that you can only see where you are going and where you have been moments earlier.

A older gypsy woman sitting on the ground by a downed cart waves you down, but rather then ask for help fixing her axle, she simply asks for a moment of your time. As you're sitting down, you see her unfold a rather large handkerchief on the ground that contains a stack of cards. She slowly but meticulously shuffles them, taking care not to damage the beaten deck.

As she fans them out in front of you she asks you to pick 5 and place them in front of her.

The crone beings revealing the cards and their fortunes one at a time:

(King of Clubs) This card is a symbol of great power. It tells of a powerful force for good and protection against the forces of darkness. A king's throne is the place to find this and though the club sustains your strength here, it holds you from victory, taking more time then it otherwise would.

(Ace of Clubs) This card tells of history. Knowledge of the ancient may help you understand a foe. This is a very bad sign. This in the very heart of darkness; his home, his source. It is his center and his life. It is the one place to which he must return. The spade is a dark shadow of evil cast over that place. You fight under it's influence here.

(Queen of Diamonds) This is the object of your search! Ah! I see darkness and evil behind this card! It is a powerful man whose enemy is light, and whose powers are beyond mortality! This is in the mother's place. The diamond blesses your skill there but bodes poorly for your protection.

(Three of Hearts) This card is good for you. It is a card of power and strength, the victor's card. It tells of a weapon of light, a weapon with a vengeance. It is in a place of tranquility, a harbor for the mighty and powerful. It is in a place of wisdom, warmth and despair. Great secrets are there. There is a very good influence there. If you are there, the powers of good will aid you.

(Jack of Diamonds) And here is the root card. Out of darkness and chaos, this card finds the reason and foundation for the darkness and chaos. This card shows the purpose of all things. It is key to life and death and else beyond. the darkness loves a light and desires it. Great subtle plans are in motion about you; plans that the dead may find warmth from the living.

As you absorb the gypsy's words the fog begin to grow thicker and thicker, creeping closer and closer before you can even realize what's going on. So thick it's become that you can barely see a few centimeters in front of your face as it suddenly becomes harder and harder to breath. As your senses begin shutting down one by one, the new morning's light hits.

"Good morning sirs!" one of the inn workers chirps "Wake up call at crack 'o dawn, as requested. Hope you had a fine sleep at the Trotting Trollop!"

-Weather Badge
  • Options
    "Morning gents! Let's break our fast and and get this little adventure of ours underway!"

Making his way downstairs, Gunruth reflects on the dream, thinking to himself. That was too specific to be the product of ale and fantasy...there is more here and if there is such a darkness, I will cast it out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Beast keeps quiet, unsettled by the dream. Also he's not a morning person. He packs his bag and heads for the road.

• Options
    As he fixes his armor into place Elbus relfects on the strange dream he'd had. Could it have been an asnwer to his prayers? Had Yondalla appeared to him and offered a vision, a glimpse of what they would face on their quest? Slipping his sword into its scabbard he thought of the enemy of light, and his resolved to root out this foe grew stronger then ever. Picking up his shield he made his way downstairs and out of the Trotting Trollop.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    On the old Svalich Road, black pools of water stand like dark mirrors about the muddy roadway. Thick, cold mists spread a pallor over the road. Giant tree trunks stand on both sides of the road, their branches clawing into the mists. In every direction the mists grow thicker and the forest grows more oppressive

Five hours of small conversation interspersed with silence pass as, finally, you see jutting from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road, high stone buttresses that loom up gray in the fog. Huge iron gates hang on the stonework. Dew clings with cold tenacity to the rusted bars. Two statues of armed guardians silently flank the gate. Their heads, missing from their shoulders, now lie among the weeds at their feet. They greet you only with silence.

-Weather Badge
  • Options
    Steiner had spent much of the trek reflecting on the previous night and the earlier morning. The tavern's name had apparently been misleading, and he was certain a colorful bruise was blossoming on his shoulder where the barmaid had slugged him with an empty mug. Even without certain frustrations nagging at him, he saw no reason sleep would have been any easier to grasp--and why should it? Easy, restful sleep seemed to be as much the purview of the youthful as uninflamed joints, or not waking up two or three times a night to make use of the chamberpot.

"Bet there's a story there," he announces after gazing over the statuary. "And one fah less pleasant than some kids with their dander up decidin' to go vandalizin'."

• Options
    "Guardian spirits work better with their heads attached!"

• Options
    Stefan looks at his familiar "Hawky, go up there and see what lies ahead of us. Severed heads are a bad sign."

• Options
    Straining his ears to hear over the voices of his companions Elbus tries to catch any hint of foes waiting for the chance to ambush them.
    Listen 1d6 6

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    "The Beast has a bad feeling about this place."

The Beast draws his weapon.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Lucky (or unlucky, maybe) for you guys the only action you see is that the gates slowly creek open as you approach, inviting you spend some time in scenic Barovia.

Well, it would be scenic if the damned fog would lift.

@Sakutian, remember you still get to add a d20 roll to your skill checks since the "skill" is just treated as a situational modifier to an ability check.

oxybe on
    -Weather Badge
  • Options
    "Well now, ain't that a welcomin' sight?" Steiner says with his usual deadpan drawl. Sarcasm? Possibly. "May as well march on. That fog ain't liftin' anytime soon, and this road's gonna be longer than I'd care for."

• Options
    Inserting his finger into his ear and wiggling it about Elbus disolodges a bit wax Elbus continues listening for signs of an ambush as he steps forward.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Anton is wary. He draws out a handlful of spell components, ready to begin casting if needed.

"I'm not certain I like this place as much as I thought I would."

• Options
    "Not the most pleasant welcome...is it?" Drawing his warhammer, Gunruth follows the group.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Towering trees, whose tops are lost in heavy gray mist, block out all save a death-gray light. The tree trunks almost touch. The thick, damp undergrowth presses in on you, making it impossible even to see one another at all times. The woods have the silence of a forgotten grave, yet exude the feeling of an unsounded scream.
    Not even a minute after you enter the woods, you see a corpse. More then a few bits are missing, some from the obvious pecking and nibbling of scavengers but the cause of death is rather obvious, the large telling marks of a predator's bite, with the clothes tattered and torn where it's claws got caught. It doesn't take much for Elbus to notice what animal killed him:

A wolf.

Wolves, plural, actually. Several sets of paw prints are found in the clay around the body.

A closer examination of the body reveals that in his hand is a letter, the parchment worn and flimsy, dated about a week ago. it's still sealed, with a large "B".

-Weather Badge
  • Options
    "The curse of the burgermaster!"