Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Street Art

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Street Art

As a new day dawns the Artists must learn to cooperate to succeed.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    What are we all looking at?

GurtPerkSeattleDad09makremarecksaykayMichyGearypjunkAnialosPeter EbelSejarkiMoiraFranklinBluthFalxescape908KoopahTroopahShpydarenderandrewzerzhulAveryJJworldspool32Yllanes
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    Ahhh such a great episode, that pineapple was amazing. And that prize.... so awesome!!! Loving this show =3

makrShpydar
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Get me a light heather shirt with Pineapple Maki on it, pronto. Make the colors really sizzle on that thing. I will buy the shit out of that, man. I will buy until there is no shit left in it.

edit: Or a tumbler! On a hot day, nothing quenches the thirst like a tall, cool Pineapple Maki.

Nijhazer on
    SeattleDad09makrMichyGearyzerzhulescape908
  • makrmakr Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    You can really see Tuckman's model for group dynamics going on in these challenges, Forming, Storming, Norming and Performing.

makr on
  • mml007mml007 Registered User new member
    Jeej, pineapple maki! The preview for the next challenge looks interesting also...

TeeSeaJay
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    Pineapple Maki. Yes. The others were pretty cool too, but Pineapple Maki definitely stood out.

Looks like Day 4 is all about art, too. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • SeattleDad09SeattleDad09 Registered User regular
    2 things:

First, definitely agree with the Pineapple Maki shirt idea. Make this happen, please!

Second, tonight, I am drinking a Pineapple Maki. There will be rum and pineapple juice and I have no idea what else, but it seems like a fine excuse to mix pineapple juice and rum...

NotaCylonwebofinkescape908
  • LadyGwennyLadyGwenny Registered User regular
    It was pretty obvious that Amy didn't want to win the challenge. That girl's got a lot of strategy but I am not sure that is the way to win this...

ahdokTeeSeaJay
  • MichyGearyMichyGeary Registered User regular
    I've got to say, I'm really surprised that they put Amy and Nick on the same team. The two of them have dominated the first three challenges, so why put them together?

That said, I actually really liked their design (the crow) the best, but I do see why Pineapple Maki won. I'd buy that shit on merch.

NotaCylon
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Already way ahead of you ;) Shirts should be available by morning. Didn't want to risk putting them up any earlier.

pjunkSeattleDad09WordLustAnialosSejarkiCambiataScumdoggnhaineswebofinkzerzhulescape908Maz-KoopahTroopahWarribsdavidsdurionsTeeSeaJayDexOZ
  • MichyGearyMichyGeary Registered User regular
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    Get me a light heather shirt with Pineapple Maki on it, pronto. Make the colors really sizzle on that thing. I will buy the shit out of that, man. I will buy until there is no shit left in it.

edit: Or a tumbler! On a hot day, nothing quenches the thirst like a tall, cool Pineapple Maki.

I agree, that shit on a tumbler would be bitchin'.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Definitely agree with the winner, and Maki, Mac and Katie look like it's their turn to cash in (Maki especially), but on a side note, I enjoyed Monica, Erika and Tavis just going 'you know what, this is turning out to be a goddamn mess, but it's our goddamn mess'.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    SeattleDad09ShpydirShpydar
  • madfigsmadfigs Registered User regular
    The pineapple was a funny idea, but I actually gasped when they showed the final version of Abby, Amy, and Nick's design. It looked amazing, especially for having been done with spray paint!

Then again I also laughed at Graham's Bane impression, maybe I have bad taste...

CambiataTeeSeaJay
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    So what are we going to call this cocktail? A Pineapple Maki? A Bearded Pineapple? Pineapple Stripper? It needs to be invented lickety-split so I can drink one.

It's always cool to see people trying to wrap their heads around a new medium. I thought they all did really well, considering. Good to see the win for Mac, Katie and Maki though. Boo-yah! :)

SeattleDad09
  • Jubal DiGrizJubal DiGriz Registered User new member
    edited April 2013
    The Pineapple Maki-

3/5 plain vodka OR rum

1/5 pineapple juice

1/5 sweet vermouth

Serve with black licorice lining top of glass.

Jubal DiGriz on
    SeattleDad09makitoriFranklinBluthCambiatazerzhulKoopahTroopahShpydar
    The Pineapple Maki-

3/5 plain vodka OR rum

1/5 pineapple juice

1/5 sweet vermouth

Serve with black licorice lining top of glass.

Thank God there's no bacon in this. I've spent a lot of time in Portland recently...

makitori
  • djlowballerdjlowballer Registered User regular
    I think I liked Amy/Nic/Abby's work better but I really dug how well Maki/Katie/Mac collaborated to produce such a striking image. I would want a T-Shirt of the latter and installation on my house of the former.

Amy's strategy talk was meh but it made me ask a serious question; What exactly more is the prize than 15 grand and free office space for a year? Some of the contestants are professional artists already so the prize seems like nothing.

• ShpydirShpydir Registered User regular
    Spray paint can be a real jerk. Especially without a set of caps which it didn't look like they had. I think all the teams did pretty well except for the octopus thing. It's just a mess visually. I liked where they were going, they just overworked it.

Pineapple Maki was hilarious.

• Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    The Pineapple Maki was the best design. Simple, works well, and is playful. Who wouldn't like a pineapple with that beard... <by cracky> ...

I did like that Erika, Tavis and Monica decided to own it. Also, Tavis' use of the pens was a damn good idea. I've done similar things when trying to get in details with spray paint.

Also, looking forward to the next episode/challenge.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
  • ShpydirShpydir Registered User regular
    Amy's strategy talk was meh but it made me ask a serious question; What exactly more is the prize than 15 grand and free office space for a year? Some of the contestants are professional artists already so the prize seems like nothing.

15 grand and an office for a year is a huge boost for an individual. Personally, that would keep me in Cheetos for six months while I work with a killer business team to get my own projects on track and profitable. Don't knock the value of some breathing room, a place to work that isn't your bedroom, and top-flight mentorship.

Angry_SamoannhainesNotaCylonwebofinkzerzhul
  • HappyaxHappyax Registered User regular
    Pineapple was definitely the best. Just noticed a pineapple next to about the show.

edited April 2013
    Amy's strategy talk was meh...

You know, that's another thing-- Amy keeps talking about "flying under the radar". It seems like a bizarre thing for her to be doing at this point. She's the only one bringing it up, which makes it seem less like strategy and more like distrust of the other artists. I imagine it's going to bite her in the ass pretty soon-- this probably won't be the last team-oriented challenge, and with the other artists giving it their all, she doesn't stand to benefit by holding anything back or downplaying all of her contributions.

Maybe she just genuinely lacks confidence, and is playing that off as some kind of strategy due to a mixture of fear and denial.

Nijhazer on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular

Well, yeah, but they'll be pros with Mike and Jerry and Khoo and the rest of the PA team at their disposal, and they can spend the year improving their art and writing techniques and learn how to maximize the money they make off of webcomics. The $15K is a start; the real prize here is being given the absolute best help out there in making sure that $15K is just the start of a whole lot of money to come. And most of the roster is in their 20's; getting that help now is going to pay a hell of a lot of dividends.

Think of it like being given the prize in annuity form.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    NotaCylon
  • Rex BeaversRex Beavers Registered User regular
    LadyGwenny wrote: »
    It was pretty obvious that Amy didn't want to win the challenge. That girl's got a lot of strategy but I am not sure that is the way to win this...

Avoiding winning challenges is actually a fairly successful strategy to employ in competetion based reality shows that helped the winner of the second season of the U.S. version of Big Brother. The idea is that people grow to resent winners and begin to actively attempt to remove those people from the competition, so its best to fly under the radar. Amy probably downplayed her contributions on purpose. I think an approach like that might not be as effective with a group of competitors as well adjusted and level headed as the Strippers, who may be less likely to hold grudges. I think Amy is probably overthinking it and being a bit paranoid, but it may actually give her a slight boost later on in the competition when tensions get higher.

emarecksaykay
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm with Shpydir on that one. While $15k might not be that much, it's being associated with PA for a year, getting use of their business and production teams and getting regular feedback from Mike, Jerry and Kurtz that makes it all the more worthwhile.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
  • WordLustWordLust Registered User regular
    Pineapple Maki looks like he could be the spokescharacter for some kind of delicious, thirst-quenching beverage.

zerzhuldrgill1972
  • LKMLKM Registered User regular
    Now I'm even sadder that Lexxy isn't there anymore. I would have love to see what she would have contributed.

Generally, I wish people had more time for the individual challenges.

NotaCylonescape908KoopahTroopahLamp
  • HappyaxHappyax Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Prediction for next week:
    It looks like they are designing the Pinny Arcade Chandra pins from the last Pax East

Rex Beavers on
    zerzhul
    edited April 2013
    As far as Amy... everyone else is purely there to just try to draw better than the next guy; back in the opener you had a lot of people straight-up saying they didn't think they would win. She's really kind of the only one of the group who's actually out to compete per se and has any inclination whatsoever to do the kind of scheming it typically takes to win these kinds of shows.

Which as Lexxy learned, albeit in a different way, is a very good way to find yourself in the Thunderdome in a hurry. It only takes one immunity-winner to feel uneasy around her in the slightest and she's in front of the easel that very night. That 'artist's commune' statement from Tavis (I think it was Tavis) is pretty powerful; if it's an artist's commune vibe, anyone not sharing that vibe is going bye-bye. So far she hasn't given that impression, but if she's trying to strategize, she's really got to be careful about it lest she disrupt the vibe.

Gosling on
  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    Did you guys see Katie all happy and smiling at the end there. That was so satisfying to see after the first rough days.

And that price is amazing. I hope they make lots of connections to other artists and publishers or sell lots of sketches to attendees.

Sandra SnanNotaCylonescape908WarribsElbasunu
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Katie is the Strip Search nuke.

Gets used twice to devastating effect and then remains as a looming threat and bargaining chip until the final battle.

NotaCylonxaviersczerzhulescape908WarribsKoopahTroopahAzaminoTeeSeaJayPeter EbelDiplominatorfightinfilipinoTheSpyder
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    I have a hard time with Amy (at least the way the show’s edit has shown her so far—Graham says he hasn’t tried to create extra drama, though).
    She is so explicitly trying to play “the reality TV game” that it comes across as being almost cut-throat (which she isn’t, necessarily).
    I don’t like it.

Maz-there'saforum?Shpydar
  • wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    Slow start and a rocking finish, preparation seemed to be the key.
    Loved how 3 of the most quiet strippers comunicated well enough to do that work in 30mins
    Well done Pineapple Maki.

NotaCylon
  • katamariuskatamarius aclastic islandRegistered User regular
    I always thought it would be nice if someone did a strip that followed the show and all the extra tidbits could be gathered up in a four-paneled section called O-Maki.

I have a hard time with Amy (at least the way the show’s edit has shown her so far—Graham says he hasn’t tried to create extra drama, though).
    She is so explicitly trying to play “the reality TV game” that it comes across as being almost cut-throat (which she isn’t, necessarily).
    I don’t like it.
    I think it's not so much cut-throat as it is that she's trying to avoid common pitfalls. To me it's less strategy and more caution.

Sandra SnanCambiata
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    Amy's strategy talk was meh...

You know, that's another thing-- Amy keeps talking about "flying under the radar". It seems like a bizarre thing for her to be doing at this point. She's the only one bringing it up, which makes it seem less like strategy and more like distrust of the other artists. I imagine it's going to bite her in the ass pretty soon-- this probably won't be the last team-oriented challenge, and with the other artists giving it their all, she doesn't stand to benefit by holding anything back or downplaying all of her contributions.

Maybe she just genuinely lacks confidence, and is playing that off as some kind of strategy due to a mixture of fear and denial.

Eh, I just take it as not wanting to have to decide which artists have to go to the thunderdome. Everyone who's had to do it so far seems to find it a hellish experience, so I don't blame her one bit.

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    Thanks, Rex… I’ll try to keep that in mind as I keep watching. Maybe she isn’t so “bad”.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Also, if I'm remembering right, Maki said something during the twitter challenge about being happy about being middle of the pack. Amy's not the only one who's said that.

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
    NotaCylonMichyGeary
  • trebanetrebane Registered User new member
    <--- Supporting team Maki any way I can.
    I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Being able to see the players work in a cooperative fashion was, in my opinion, one of the highlights of the show.

NotaCylonmml007zerzhulescape908ElbasunuTeeSeaJay