Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Ignite Your Spark

• sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    i think the pieces the judges commented on were not the top and bottom entries, but the top and middle. it really seems like their comments amounted to "this is great, here is something that kept it from winning." katie: sex; mac: character ambiguity and maybe color; nick: anger and that other thing (wink, wink, nod, nod, know what i mean?); maki: brand colors.

i feel like the rest, with the exception of monica, are a notch below these. monica's, i believe, is better than some that were mentioned, but i believe that it suffered from being similar to erika's. both went for a more graphic image in a symmetrical layout, with the character in close up, fire balls of similar size and location dominating each end, and a blue ground.

for the judges seeing them side by side, erikas seems much more of a finished piece than monica's. her consistent black outline brings the graphic style home. the symmetry works wonderfully, where monica's gets a little muddied up. erika's reads better from distance. her marker technique seems more polished. her fire transition yellow to red really brings the heat more than monica's. erika's expression is exactly what they were looking for where monica's has a sterner look (and even if spunkier wasn't in the brief, erika's expression is perfectly conceived and executed). erika's is ready to "add to cart."

i really do like monica's, though. if erika's wasn't in the mix, monica's would have made the mention list i am sure.

so, given who the judges commented on, i think mac and katie actually scored well in their mind. mac, because he really worked out a concept for the piece. it is what illustrators do with a fairly open brief. not to take anything away from mac as a cartoonist. in fact, one could argue that mac's piece was the most story-oriented. katie's needs no justification from me. it's fantastic. wonderful details. to me she, maki and erika each did incredible work. katie and maki didn't hit the format. erika not only worked within the format, she took that parameter and used it to make something even better.

so my guess for who is going up is… best guess, abby and tavis or amy. i think i will say amy. in spite of what connection may be there.

• FastrFastr Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Out of the drawings as they were, I think Monica should have won. Although had Maki just followed the colors correctly.. he had the hands down best design.

Fastr on
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Late Strip crew! Who's staying up?

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    We'll see if I can make it. Doing administrative work at work to stay awake.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • El_FunkoEl_Funko Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Another benefit of being an Australian - new Strip Search episodes are out at 4pm!

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Waiting on pins and needles.

They're very fussy and make weird requests. The needles keep demanding that I stab them in the eye.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    How long does it usually take after the witching hour? I needs it in my veins!

Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
  • madfigsmadfigs Registered User regular
    Sometimes the video goes up right at midnight and the strip search site gets updated immediately, sometimes it doesn't even show up on the youtube channel for a while. Just keep your finger on the refresh button I guess :P

• xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    /waiting for new strip

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've ever f5f5f5f5'ed a reality show before.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    xThanatoSxnerfherderhanthere'saforum?
  • nerfherderhannerfherderhan Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    But I am le tired... Must watch before giving into sleep! Hope it posts soon.

Kalynar
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    I did the thing! It doesn't really count because I don't have my markers with me (and I don't have the style guide), but I kept within the 90 minute timeframe and tried to keep as close to my copic marker technique as I could.

tumblr_ml4s4niDtJ1qd80v3o1_1280.jpg

DevoninxThanatoSxnerfherderhanKalynarmadfigsDexOZJoshEckLadyGwennygorillamanFranklinBluthInquisitor77Spman2099lamelama22Cambiata123blahFalxzerzhulSassoriElbasunueaglSpiritfireFyndirDiplominatorMoridin889Dark Raven XWarmthgossamerKoopahTroopahstolee
    That's pretty wicked Lexxy :)

See, this is why it sucks you weren't around for that. That would have been right up there with Maki, Erika and Monica.

Cambiata
  • gorillamangorillaman Registered User new member
    Lexxy wins. Now she has to choose who goes up for elimination.

• madfigsmadfigs Registered User regular
    Lexxy wrote: »
    I did the thing! It doesn't really count because I don't have my markers with me (and I don't have the style guide), but I kept within the 90 minute timeframe and tried to keep as close to my copic marker technique as I could.

I would not believe that producing something that amazing in 90 minutes was possible... if I hadn't just seen other people do it on the last episode!

That's one of the few bad things about this show... constant reminders that the rushed work by the contestants is infinitely better than what I could do in any amount of time :P

• JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    Baddass work, Lexxy! Something tells me you drew that on your Cintiq HD.

*droooool*

El_Funko
  • LadyGwennyLadyGwenny Registered User regular
    Wow Lexxy! I love it! I am so sad you were knocked out before you had a chance to show more of your artwork. Luckily there's always Kickstarter...;)

• cwDeicicwDeici Registered User regular
    Oh wow Lexxy, that's my new #1 for the challenge, there's some advantage in seeing the episode first, but damn!

• lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    Wow that's awesome Lexxy. I love the tornado of fire at the bottom / works really well as a skateboard.

/also staying up with the late strip crew (at least for now)

edited April 2013
    Very nice, Lexxy! If nothing else, it's the most on-model for their art style, and up there with Maki, Erika, and Monica's.

In other news, WHY IS STRIP SEARCH NOT UPLOADED YET? WHY HATH THOU FORSAKEN ME?

Edit: oh, apparently Graham is sick this week, and thus couldn't upload it until the last minute... and now they're at the mercy of upload speeds. Well shoot. I guess it's sleep for me.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    Lexxy wrote: »

I hope Mike lurks these forums; I hope he sees that picture so that he can instantly come to the realization that he sent the wrong person home. Absolutely amazing stuff!

• kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    Erika's going to win the whole thing.

• DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    I wonder whether the feeling of being a competition winner and then seeing a previously eliminated contestant being told "Yours is better than the winner, you should have won" is more awkward than the feeling of being a previously eliminated contestant and being told the same.

Devonin wrote: »
    I wonder whether the feeling of being a competition winner and then seeing a previously eliminated contestant being told "Yours is better than the winner, you should have won" is more awkward than the feeling of being a previously eliminated contestant and being told the same.

Well, Tavis did a fine job. In the end, he got the victory; so I am sure he isn't losing too much sleep over a few dissenting voices. This is a competition with a subjective scoring system, surely he understands that.

On the other hand, Lexxy has been given a fair amount of support, which is probably not the worst feeling in the world. I wouldn't expect Lexxy to reply that she concurs with my assessment; hell, she may even feel that Tavis' work was superior in that competition,. However, I am sure she doesn't despise hearing that people think her work is excellent.

I legitimately have felt bad about a few comments I have made towards contestants that, in retrospect, I feel were overly judgmental. However, I am not afraid to share my opinion of whose work I find to be superior, especially when I am not denigrating another's work.

It is totally possible that I am a callous individual; however, I think it is just as likely that you are being overly sensitive.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Unf, that drawing, Lexxy.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    edited April 2013
    Spman2099 wrote: »

Well, Tavis did a fine job. In the end, he got the victory; so I am sure he isn't losing too much sleep over a few dissenting voices. This is a competition with a subjective scoring system, surely he understands that.

On the other hand, Lexxy has been given a fair amount of support, which is probably not the worst feeling in the world. I wouldn't expect Lexxy to reply that she concurs with my assessment; hell, she may even feel that Tavis' work was superior in that competition,. However, I am sure she doesn't despise hearing that people think her work is excellent.

I legitimately have felt bad about a few comments I have made towards contestants that, in retrospect, I feel were overly judgmental. However, I am not afraid to share my opinion of whose work I find to be superior, especially when I am not denigrating another's work.

It is totally possible that I am a callous individual; however, I think it is just as likely that you are being overly sensitive.

I don't even mean in the elimination challenge. I mean afterwards. Having a discussion about which of the two people in a head-to-head "should" have won is not the same as suggesting to someone who wins later "You wouldn't have won, if it weren't for this person being eliminated already"

Also, EPISODE PL0X!!!

Devonin on
    edited April 2013
    In the end, we have to bear in mind that this isn't solely Art Search; it's Strip Search. It's about the combination of art and writing, even if perhaps more emphasis has been placed on art in a lot of these challenges. If I had looked at wordless copies of the two strips from last elimination, I would have chosen Lexxy's without a doubt. If this were Project: Illustration, Lexxy would be melting faces.

I'm not saying that there was a clear winner in that elimination challenge, once you added the text; I agreed with the creators that it was a difficult-to-judge draw. But if you look at Lexxy and Tavis's sites, it's clear that Tavis has more experience pairing images with text in a concise fashion. I assume this isn't news to anyone. Right now, my bet is that someone with an archive of strips (or pages) wins Strip Search.

This is why I'd love to see a "team" season of Strip Search, where all the strippers are two-person teams. I presume it'd be primarily artist/writer teams, but you could also have two artist-writers, one who pencils and one who colors, etc.

I was really surprised at how many of the artists on the Strip Search panel said they'd like to have a writer as a collaborator. I always kind of assumed that most artists who wanted a writer already had one, or could get a compatible muse with relative ease.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    I imagine you could find a writer with trivial ease. It's finding a writer whose strengths and style sync with yours, with whom you get along well enough to feel comfortable criticising and overruling as necessary, and being criticised and overruled by that poses the problem.

We can't all decide to become a writer or cartoonist and just happen to have a lifelong best friend who wants to do the other job in the same style.

edited April 2013

I don't even mean in the elimination challenge. I mean afterwards. Having a discussion about which of the two people in a head-to-head "should" have won is not the same as suggesting to someone who wins later "You wouldn't have won, if it weren't for this person being eliminated already"

Also, EPISODE PL0X!!!

Okay, I don't think I understood your post at all. Keep in mind, I am not attacking your ability to compose a coherent post, I think I am just too tired at the moment to be able to comprehend simple thoughts.

So yeah...

I am going to say I agree? Maybe? If that doesn't seem like the appropriate response understand that I strongly disagree.

Seriously, when are they going to put up this next episode? I need to get to sleep at some point; however, I feel committed to waiting at this point.

Blargh!

Spman2099 on
    Must get sleep.

This breaks my streak of seeing every episode within minutes of its initial posting :(

cwDeiciShpydar
    edited April 2013
    I imagine you could find a writer with trivial ease. It's finding a writer whose strengths and style sync with yours, with whom you get along well enough to feel comfortable criticising and overruling as necessary, and being criticised and overruled by that poses the problem.

We can't all decide to become a writer or cartoonist and just happen to have a lifelong best friend who wants to do the other job in the same style.

That's certainly true. I'm just laughing at the "grass is always greener" side of it. I do various kinds of writing as a part of my job, and I've done spec and freelance stuff before. I used to write comic scripts, but I gave up after a while. This was partly because I like to write my scripts tailored to the artist... if someone hates drawing animals, I may cut that dream sequence with the horse, that kind of thing. I also always used to ask if they wanted "Alan Moore-style" scripts, with panel layouts and such, or just pure dialogue. If I didn't have an artist I was actively attempting to work with, I had a weaker sense of direction while writing scripts.

Eventually I thought it was probably more efficient to just stick to novels and film scripts and stuff I could chuck into my portfolio without accompanying art. I'd sort of talked myself out of comics with the rather silly idea that nobody was ever actually looking for writers. So it was kind of interesting to hear talented artists say they'd like to find writers to work with.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Where's the next episode?

Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654 | Nintendo Network ID: Maz_PA
    cwDeiciShpydar
    I DEMAND STRIP SEARCH! RARGHHHH!

Shpydar
  • darklaodarklao Registered User regular
    There is no next episode. All the contestants died horribly in a gas leak/explosion. It was a terrible tragedy. All appearances to the contrary have been accomplished by a team of writers and some really just amazingly technically impressive puppetry.

Let this be a lesson to you, viewer. Let this be a lesson to you.

ShpydarcwDeici
  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    sheesh, thats a nice board lexxy.
    also congrats on your kickstarter. glad you met your goal in 2h and you should hit 20k soonish.
    Cloud Factory

Graham is probably still under the weather, but his tweets on the release of the new strip search episode are super cryptic and borderline disastrous. He should definitely go up for elimination for that ;D.

kolybry on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Next episode is up on the youtube page. Don't yet see it on the stripsearch page.

vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    Hey, my yelling worked!

Actually, on second thought Maki's is still my number one, but both Maki and Lexxy's late entry are utterly fantabulous!

• GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I awake at dawn, six in the morning
    to receive the pleasure of a new show
    my eyes red and my body slogging
    clicking refresh faster than Diablo.

What's going on, where's the new episode?
    I desire to see what happens next
    Is someone just ill, or services slow
    or do they put my patience to the test?

I demand satisfaction and pleasure
    I haven't paid for this but I want it now
    Give me what I crave, that Strip Search treasure
    Or I'll complain, long as the mods allow.

If only the last episode resolved
    I wouldn't be so anxious or maybe
    Like that one on Youtube which involved
    that WoW kid's decline to insanity
    By his mom's hand his subscription, dissolved,
    I would flip out and scream like a piggie.

Art commissions are hard in life's game show
    Magic clients' final word we begrudge.
    Who did Erika pick? I have to know
    which contestants Mike and Jerry will judge.

(I wrote this waiting for the next episode to be posted... I missed the cutoff by five minutes!) XD

cwDeici