As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] INTO THE ODD - Horrific, Rules-Lite D&D

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Kairon, glowing faintly and humming from the use of his Arcanum, leans over and peers down at the figures. "Hey, I don't suppose one of you understands me?"

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    "Oh, I'm sure they understand fresh meat." Tiris keeps an eye on the creature in the other part of the room, just waiting for it to attack them.

• Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The strange creature that slunk off into the tunnel is still visible, but seems pretty content just watching.

As Kairon, glowing and humming, speaks to the figures below, they point and exclaim.

"Fray nar! Es narla fray nar!"

The one-handed figure scurries out of sight and the man carrying the pipe leaps into his place. Pointing the pipe upward at you, you now suspect that it's an extremely primitive gun. With a flash, and an eruption of smoke, the man fires at Kairon.

The shot narrow misses, thudding into the cave ceiling. A few chunks of shrapnel are deflected by Kairon's glow.
    Damage Roll: 2. Entirely negated by Kairon's Armour.

Your turn. First come, first served. Only the gunman is currently in sight.

Remember there's no roll to hit. If you're attacking, just roll your weapon's Damage.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Kairon dives back, away from the chute after the shot spangs off of his glow.

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    (How big is the shaft? Big enough for several people to shoot down into? Or just big enough for like 1 person at a time?)

• Options
    Big enough for four people to get around and shoot down.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Hansel, already aiming down and ready for the worst, opens fire.

EDIT: I suppose I should specify I'm targeting the guy with the gun, if possible.
    Musket Damage: 1d6+1 7

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Tiris swings besides Hansel and takes aim at the native with the crude gun.
    Musket Damage: 1d6+1 = 6 (5)

Afterwards he swings to the side and watches the far hallway, expecting the other two natives to be running up towards them.

am0n on
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Alfonso's gun breaks the man's silence, the shot speeding towards the attacker. 5 Damage.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    The combined wall of fire splashes the ground with the man's blood. He drops his weapon and collapses to the floor. Looks like he's dead

You don't hear anything from the other figures. They've either fled or are being very quiet.

• Options
    Kairon creeps back over to the chute and peeks over the lip. Assuming it looks as clear as it sounds, he whispers, "Cover me," and starts climbing down the rope ladder.

• Options
    Hansel begins to quickly reload his musket, so he can continue to provide cover fire if need be.

• Options
    Tiris finishes loading his musket and lays prone, covering Kairon's descent.

• Options
    The rope ladder leads down into a natural cave 30x30ft. There's a single, winding passageway leading South.

The walls have crude paintings of snakes, twisting the whole span of the room, and strange bat-like creatures biting at their bodies.

No sign of the men, but they dropped their boar here.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Alright, free boar! Let's pack it up guys, this campaign is a win. ;)

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    For all you know it could be the fabled Hog of Wonder.

• Options
    Tiris, having seen that the pit is clear, makes his way down the latter. Upon seeing the boar, he says, "Yeah, last time I touched something I almost cut off my arm." Looking at Hansel, Tiris says, "You pick it up."

• Options
    Strapping his musket to his back, Hansel follows Tiris down the ladder, and admires the dead boar.

"It would make a fine feast... but I think we'll be okay for now."

He looks at the walls. "Y'know, our hosts seemed pretty smart. I can't help but feel like these drawings are a warning."

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Despite having fired himself, the man shows obvious distaste for the act. "Given the presence of an astral cult, I can't entirely blame them for firing at a glowing man. It is a shame that we had made them enemies. Perhaps they could help us figure out what is going on here."

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    Kairon searches the corpse and inspects the gun-thing fired at him. "They look like primitives, but this weapon could certainly have killed me easily enough... bit of a dichotomy."

• Options
    "Aye, there was little else we could do."

• Options
    The gun is certainly functional, but against all odds. It's little more than a basic firing mechanism fitted onto a pipe. The man has a small pouch with powder and rough shot.

He carries a second pouch full of black crystals. You recognise this as black sugar, a luxury indeed. Should be worth around 30s.

• Options
    Hansel continues closely studying the cave art--following the snake around the room, trying to spy anything familiar about it or the bat creatures. Finally, he hesitantly reaches a single finger out to the paint, to see if he can tell how old or fresh it is.

• Options
    "Hmm, interesting. I wonder if they have some rough sort of civilization. Use black sugar as currency, maybe. Well, regardless, I think it's safe to say that someone else should do the talking if we encounter them again... such a waste." Kairon shakes his head at the corpse and stows what he finds in his pack (splitting up the black sugar among the group if others are keen for a share of it).

• Options
    The paint is quite easily scraped off. It's not brand new, but can't be more than a week or so old.

The drawings themselves are very stylised. The snake simply resembles an endlessly long, green serpent. The bat-like creatures are less familiar. They have the look of a wingless bat with huge jaws, eating chunks from the snake's body.

You hear movement to the south. Sounds like a small group of people sneaking and whispering.
    I'll put treasure in a joint pot to be split at the end.

• Options
    Hansel stops in his tracks, and reaches for his musket.

"I suspect the two that fled may have... gotten help."

• Options
    "Could it be the boar was food for whatever those bat-like creatures are? And that maybe we stumbled into their den?" Tiris readies his musket and makes sure his pistol and sword are ready on his waist.

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Cenk, who's been looking over Hansel's shoulder at the painted serpent, springs against the south wall at the sound of movement. He nocks another arrow, unsure what will appear, but betting it's not going to be friendly.

"Manipa pat, indeed," he mutters ruefully.

• Options
    Question! Can I use my Arcanum whilst holding my musket?

• Options
    On your turn you can generally move and do one other thing, whether it's shooting or using your Arcanum. Don't worry about things like reloading, swapping weapons or wiping your nose.

As long as you aren't trying to shoot your musket and use your Arcanum on the same turn, you'll be fine.

• Options
    As the noise approaches you see that the two men that fled have returned with three of their kin. These three are each carrying a pipe-gun similar to the dead man.

They shuffle into a line and take aim at you.
    You have first turn, as you're prepared.

• Options
    Tiris takes aim and fires at the weapon carrying man on the far right.
    Musket Damage: 1d6+1 = 5 (4)

"Focus them down one at a time!"

• Options
    The blast startles the line, narrowly missing the largest man on the right.
    Gunman3 takes 5 damage but has some HP remaining

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    With a single smooth motion, Cenk draws back and releases an arrow, aiming at the primitive on the right.

• Options
    Hansel unloads his musket on the man to the right. 5 damage.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The narrowly-wide shot sends the man on the right to the ground, shuffling back against the wall, preparing to unload in retaliation.
    Gunman3 is out of HP but passes his Save to avoid Critical Damage.

@Bhow give me a damage roll. 1d6 for a bow.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Can I make a DEX save to make a called shot?

• Options
    What would you be trying to achieve?

• Options
    I was thinking of either targeting some vulnerable area for bonus damage or their hand to prevent counter-fire. Either briefly from the shock or more permanently if possible.

• Options
    If you go for a disabling shot then the target will have to pass a Save or drop their weapon, possibly suffering further damage.

A standard attack is always assumed to be going for vulnerable areas, so if you're shooting to kill then roll damage.