As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Which RPG in development are you most excited about?

ZenfarZenfar Registered User regular
For me it is Torment: Tides of Numenera for the pre-rendered style, the team, and the Science-Fantasy setting. This one is a dream game for me, I think it will be even better than the original which is a tall order.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Wasteland 2.

I'm a huge Fallout nut, I love post apocalyptic RPGs and stories with a passion.

This is probably the closest we'll get to an oldschool new Fallout.

(not that I have any problem with the Bethesda games, I'm pretty much obsessed with them)

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Wasteland 2.

I'm a huge Fallout nut, I love post apocalyptic RPGs and stories with a passion.

(not that I have any problem with the Bethesda games, I'm pretty much obsessed with them)

I hear you, I am still playing Skyrim, I did the backer level where you get Wasteland 2 as well as Torment, I enjoyed all of the Fallout games from 1-3. Even had the weird situation of visiting Washington for the first Time after playing Fallout 3, it was like I knew where everything was but I kept looking for mutants everywhere :)

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Wasteland 2.

ahem the closest we'll get to an oldschool new Fallout is Fallout New Vegas.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Wasteland 2.

Considering the success of X-COM, I think there's some hope of an official old school Fallout.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Zenfar wrote: »
    For me it is Torment: Tides of Numenera for the pre-rendered style, the team, and the Science-Fantasy setting. This one is a dream game for me, I think it will be even better than the original which is a tall order.

Don't go excpecting it.

By all love of InXile, their current model is having shitloads of (quite different) writers and most (nearly all) of them being external. Hell, even Colin is an external contributor.
    So, be aware what you're gonna get could be quite uneven in quality. Thankfully they got Kevin Saunders as Project Director and he's really awesome at it.

Most excited

Project Eternity

Excited!

Divinity: Original Sin (crept up there in recent weeks)
    Torment
    Wasteland 2
    Age of Decadence
    Dead State
    Might and Magic X

Might have forgotten a few.

C2B on
  • Options
    Wasteland 2 will scratch the itch for me, can't wait!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Wasteland 2.

ahem the closest we'll get to an oldschool new Fallout is Fallout New Vegas.
    I'm talking isometric view point, action points to move in combat, all that stuff but with 3D models.

Hopefully if Wasteland 2 is a major success (probably will not be enough to be considered a success by bigger companies but hey, what the hell, heres hoping) Bethesda will think about putting together that kind of spinoff series.

I love Obsidian's work on Fallout and I want to see them do it again but I would like to see them do something different from the main games to give theirs more of a different feel, scratch a different sort of Fallout itch.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2. Easily.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Wasteland 2, I never played the first but I love the old Fallouts dearly.

• Options
    C2B wrote: »
    Zenfar wrote: »

Don't go excpecting it.

By all love of InXile, their current model is having shitloads of (quite different) writers and most (nearly all) of them being external. Hell, even Colin is an external contributor.
    So, be aware what you're gonna get could be quite uneven in quality. Thankfully they got Kevin Saunders as Project Director and he's really awesome at it.

Luckily the setting (Numenera) helps with the different writing styles as there are been many civilizations that have risen and fallen. Also the enclaves of humanity that are scattered and bit of technology left behind by them are not necessarily, consistent either. We shall see, Project Eternity certainly looks like a winner as well, I slacker backed it, so I hope it is great.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Wasteland 2.

Considering the success of X-COM, I think there's some hope of an official old school Fallout.

I am actually kinda surprised that a lot of projects haven't piggy backed off of X-com's engine. The quality of the turn based structure(fast, fluid, easy to control, without sacrificing many deep and interesting mechanics) that they did was pretty amazing, especially considering the state of tactical turn based games.

That being said, i am most excited for the D&D 4th edition tactical RPG that is never going to get made because WotC are geese. Sometimes i feel like i should magic myself into producing in order to get this shit made.

Edit: As for an actual game getting made, Might and Magic X. It looks pretty good and I have been jonsing for a modern first person party RPG's since i first played Wizardry 8 in 2001 [Wizardry 8 is god damned amazing by the way and if you can somehow find it you should play it]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am most excited for project Eternity. Chris Avellone and George Ziets? Unbeatable.

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    What's Level-5 up to right now?

• Options
    I'm definitely most excited for Torment.

I want to be excited for Might and Magic X but Ubisoft's treatment of the franchise has been pretty poor.

I really want someone to do a big budget remake of Spiderweb Software's Geneforge series.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Witcher 3.

Though I have to say, that first Project Eternity demo got me pretty interested. I just hope those guys will be able to hammer out a complete game in the time they've given themselves.

Oh, and Cyberpunk, but it's hard to get that excited about it being so far off (2015 :( )

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Oh, and Cyberpunk, but it's hard to get that excited about it being so far off (2015 :( )
    Them releasing a trailer like that this early was so damn evil of them.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Witcher 3. Right now the second game is my favorite game of all time and forever, so it's hard for me to not be excited for the third entry. Too bad it's at least a year away.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Torment, Eternity, Dead State, and Wasteland 2, in that order.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    For singleplayer I am equally excited for Torment and Project Eternity. Also Wildstar has me looking forward to an MMORPG again, it's been a while since I have seen one that looks promising.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Witcher 3: I haven't played the first two. But it still looks cool

World of Darkness MMO: Im old enough to know better, but I still hold out hope it will live up to my ridiculous high expectations.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I would be excited for Age of Decadence if they weren't even more RPGCodex-ian about their combat. And if I was convinced that it will actually ever get released at this rate.

At least ZRPG kickstartered so they finally have some people actually working on it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I'm not trying to threadjack,

but why isn't there any isometric view point CRPG using IOS or Droid?

I would imagine that the touchbase interface would be perfect for these games.

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    the witcher 3 easily tops my list.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Well, indie RPG developers seem to be aware of the potential of porting over their games to mobile devices.

In fact, a lot of games would be great for mobile devices. Not just RPG's like Fallout or Final Fantasy but also other turn based games like Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic, King's Bounty, etc.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

There are several. I especially like Rimelands: Hammer of Thor.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    rpg?

Shadowrun Returns

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Witcher 3 and Torment. Witcher 2 is my favourite game ever and PS:T is close behind. Cyberpunk looks awesome as well bur it's ages away.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    CDP Red's Cyberpunk 2077 and Capcom's Deep Down.

With no Culdcept in the 3ds, SMT IV is the reason I am buying one.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I haven't tried BGEE yet, but avadon (and by extension the other spiderweb games) are really too fiddly to be done well with touch, at least at that resolution

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    Very excited:
    Wasteland 2
    Might and Magic X
    Dead State
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (yeah, I'm in Europe)
    SMT 4

Very excited with reservations:
    Grimoire - if it is released bug free
    Age of Decadence - if it's released...
    Chaos Chronicles - track record of devs is not inspiring... but nor is MMX I guess

Quite excited:
    Legend of Grimrock 2
    Project Eternity
    Divinity OS
    Torment

All in all, the biggest problem I have over the next couple of years is having a job, wife and kids.

• Options

Maybe it is size, people still like to download games under 1 gigabyte on mobile, or maybe just perception of developers that they wouldn't do that well. Baldur's Gate is doing fine so hopefully that will change soon. My game uses a more early Ultima style, probably for the reason a lot of devs don't do pre-rendered it takes a lot of work and time and is tough to justify for mobile. Heck until these Kickstarters it was hard to justify on the PC.

Major shout out for Wizardry 8, Cyberpunk, and Shadowrun Returns as Well!!!

• Options
    They are making a Might and Magic X?

• Options
    Oh I guess I'm looking forward to Shroud of the Avatar too. I contributed like $250 to the kickstarter but I'm still not even sure what it is. Is it Ultima? Is it Ultima Online? Is it both?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Drez wrote: »
    They are making a Might and Magic X?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/176259/might-and-magic-x-teased-reveal-at-pax-east/p1

The lead writer of the game basically tried to start this since he began working at Ubisoft.

Edit: Also I should update the OP.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Off-Topic (a bit)

The Realms of Arkania HD Remake got some new (promising) screenshots

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1674&pk=49118&fk=96132&i=4

bigimage.jpg

C2B on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Just State of Decay so far which is really more sim then RPG. I'm sort of excited about M&M10.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    No one has mentioned Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4 - is nobody excited for those?

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Wasteland 2.

Holy shit it just occurred to me how amazing Fallout 1&2 would be on iPad.

BRB making kickstarter

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    No one has mentioned Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4 - is nobody excited for those?

I'm REALLY excited for DA3. I'm a rare beast that though DA2 was flawed but great and adored 1. Can't wait to see how they process the feedback from 1&2.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Dragon Age 3 and Witcher 3 are the big ones. Witcher 3 anticipation is probably the most visceral because we're seeing actual media of it and hands-on impressions, even though it's still a year away. My DA3 hype will start to top out once we start getting real trailers.

And I'm relaly anticipating Project Eternity. Enough that I already paid for the game, and how.

dN0T6ur.png