Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - SS Grand Prix

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - SS Grand Prix

The Artists will need quick reflexes and a little bravery to excel in today's challenge.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• MichaellaneMichaellane Registered User regular
    Where was the Stig?

MalteaseYamahakoShpydaremarecksaykay
  • StayPhrostyStayPhrosty Registered User regular
    oh man, THAT LOOKED LIKE SO MUCH FUN

emarecksaykay
  • juanlessjuanless Registered User new member
    So many close calls with the pond. Very disappointed in that respect.

CambiatanhainesKoopahTroopahXeavnSaintPeteremarecksaykayNotaCylonTofystedeth
  • bookishslackerbookishslacker Registered User new member
    Super dope episode guys, keep it up!

• WalterJKovacsWalterJKovacs Registered User regular
    Looking forward to next episode. Neat to see a challenge directly follow up on the previous one.

emarecksaykay
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Wow nice win by lexxie, that was awesome : D

Sandra Snan
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Sooooo.... I CAN'T win a go-kart race by taking a secret unintended shortcut? MARIO KART LIED TO ME ALL THESE YEARS.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    CambiataSandra SnanTomantaA Concerned CitizenKoopahTroopahAiouazerzhulFranklinBluthfraggyemarecksaykayTofystedeth
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    I was really hoping someone would end up in the pond too.

Ah well - it looked like a ton of fun :)

emarecksaykay
  • RecycledHeroRecycledHero Registered User regular
    Gotta love the view from those Go Pro cams. Great episode!

• wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    C'mon Graham, next time we need more Jeremy Clarkson style jokes ;)

Very fun, and now am really looking forward the next episode thanks to the "Robert Khoo is totally inappropriate"

YamahakoBaarogueA Concerned CitizenrisingtableShpydaremarecksaykay
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    I'm a little confused as to why they put the "race standings" on the screen if they were just measuring by fastest lap. Still a fun episode.

Sandra SnantheResetButtonShpydaremarecksaykay
  • lordcecillordcecil Registered User new member
    Easily the worst episode so far. I won't go so far as to claim whether it was a bad episode in absolute terms necessarily, but of what we've seen so far it's certainly been the worst. Good news is that the next episode looks exciting and the challenge episodes are totally amazing.

eldercoreMonkeyKing1969XeavnVenkman90
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm a little confused as to why they put the "race standings" on the screen if they were just measuring by fastest lap. Still a fun episode.

Because Mario Kart, and it was beautiful. And that music was totally rad; I could feel the speed from the comfort of my home.

Sejarki on
    nhainesBuchoA Concerned CitizenFranklinBluth
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure 'speed' is exactly the right word for what happened on that track, but yeah, it was a light, fun episode. The reward challenges are always the light ones.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    Well, that was fun. However, I am REALLY looking forward to getting back to the meat and potatoes of the show...

Judging from the preview, the next episode looks to be suitably interesting. Also, if interaction is the primary goal, which it may not be, then there is a pretty good chance that we will see Abby walk away with the victory for this challenge.

nhainesA Concerned CitizenXeavnemarecksaykay
  • nhainesnhaines Registered User regular
    I've done this indoors at K1 Speed and it's fantastic. I definitely want to rent a Go Pro camera the next time I go. I'm pretty fast and tend to finish in the top 3 when I race. Thanks, Mario Kart!

I loved the F-Zero inspired music and the Mario Kart-style rank indicator. And the way the qualifiers were friendly and the friendly way the first place final lap score was abdicated once again made me fall in love with the contestants. I love that the social challenges are all so fun and friendly.

A Concerned Citizen
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Haha, wow, kinda wish I had skipped this one!
    I got so motion sick and from experience I think it’ll last about 24 hours, i.e. it usually doesn’t even disappear overnight.
    And the price was a disappointment, too… clothes?
    I’m SO GLAD I’m not a participant!
    If the fact that all the comics I can produce in 90 minutes come out as ugly children’s scrabblings wasn’t enough, there have been plenty of other showstoppers, go-kart driving perhaps chief among them. I’m pretty sure it’s not even legal for me to drive…

Sandra Snan on
    miaAusa
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    This was a really fun episode!

It was pretty obvious the first round they did that they went really slow haha. But luckily they let lose and became speed demons near the end. I would have loved to race there, it seems like a fun track and pretty fast as well.

And while Tavis hates horses I would have loved to see horses just to see Monica's reaction.

A Concerned CitizenFranklinBluth
  • VertXVertX Registered User new member
    Guys I was really really annoyed with the music. I love the series but the music in the entire series isn't that good and during the race it really bothered me, just terrible. :( Does somebody else also notice this or is it just me?

Sandra Snan
  • EireJackEireJack Registered User regular
    "After last night I feel ok being the worst GO CARTER" God I can't stand Maki's smugness, why hasn't this bothered anyone else during this whole series.

A Concerned Citizenmakitorispillfish
  • DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    alright, now they definitely have to have a ping-pong challenge

and if you beat Khoo, you win instantly, series over

CuriousPencilGPrime85KnightmareA Concerned CitizenKoopahTroopahenderandrewnhainesfraggyCambiataShpydarPsykomaemarecksaykayspillfishNotaCylon
  • YllanesYllanes Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    There will be a ping-pong challenge, we saw it in the first episode. By the way, that shot is a spoiler, in that it shows a participant who will not be eliminated today.

Yllanes on
    A Concerned Citizen
  • AkaiatanaAkaiatana Registered User new member
    VertX: As you can see in the comments, a good number of us found the music pretty apropo. I enjoyed it.

emarecksaykay
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Ace work Lexxy, at this point I think it's safe to say you live your life a quarter mile at a time. (I don't know what that means but I think I heard Vin Diesel say it once and it sounded cool.)

Best bits of the episode (of course they're not as funny written out but in the show the delivery sells all of them):

- Monica: "... to pee?"
    - Erika: "Yes?"
    - Tavis: "No I'm ... fuck horses."
    - Katie: "Honestly I'm not sure I have a need for speed."
    - Abby: "The track is horrifying, I'm gonna die out here."
    - At 5:23 tiny Monica looks so freakin' adorable in her massive helmet I laughed out loudly.
    - Graham: "The staff said that you were the most conservative group they've ever seen drive around the track." It's almost as if this is Strip Search and not The Ultimate Fighter at all.
    - Abby: "I accidentally cheated ...". In fact Abby cracks me up so much I was laughing even before she spoke. Just seeing the "maneuver" and looking down the bottom of the screen and seeing Abby Cam, I was like, "Of course it's Abby Cam".
    - Erika: "I broke the barrier wall ..." followed by the vision of her going THROUGH the barrier wall.
    - Maki: "After last night I feel okay being the worst GO CARTER." No @EireJack, I like Maki's "smugness".
    - Abby: "I could have won if I'd just been a little more careful ... or reckless?"

Bucho on
    AkaiatanaDeimirGPrime85A Concerned CitizenMKF36Eenderandrewemarecksaykay
  • Korbei83Korbei83 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Yllanes wrote: »
    There will be a ping-pong challenge, we saw it in the first episode. By the way, that shot is a spoiler, in that it shows a participant who will not be eliminated today.

That's only really a spoiler if said person has thus far been put up for elimination or is called out for elimination in the next episode.

I believe the shot has already been removed as I didn't see when I went back to check. It now only shows the opposing PA team.
    VertX wrote: »
    Guys I was really really annoyed with the music. Does somebody else also notice this or is it just me?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're not alone. Nothing pleases everyone. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say you're in the minority (and probably an insignificant one) as the music is awesome and it's been widely acknowledged as such.

Korbei83 on
    A Concerned Citizen
  • wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    DexOZ wrote: »
    alright, now they definitely have to have a ping-pong challenge

and if you beat Khoo, you win instantly, series over

Spoiler alert : thats the "light morning challenge" when there's only 2 left.

• TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    no amount of music can hype you for slow ass go-kart racing

SodiumFreeWarribsIntangible 360Xeavnfraggyspillfish
  • DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    - Abby: "The track is horrifying, I'm gonna die out here."
    My first thought: No, Abby, the track is fine. Driving backwards on the GRASS is terrifying.

I'm glad to see that go-cart skills are deemed important for working at Penny Arcade, makes me want to work there even more. Next Friday I'm gonna do the at-home edition of the Elimination Challenge. Now where did I put those crayons...

Thanks @Bucho for grabbing the quote.

Time off: done. Hotel: done Travel: done. Badges: DONE.
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Wooo Kris Straub!

Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654 | Nintendo Network ID: Maz_PA
    ElbasunuIntangible 360FranklinBluth
  • PaulMcGranitePaulMcGranite Registered User regular
    What makes this episode even more Mario Kart-esque, is that Tavis' cartoon face has a real Wario vibe going on.

KnightmareWarribsJermsspillfish
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X The woods are lovely dark and deepRegistered User regular
    Oh man, that "there's a Lexxy Conspiracy!" nut is gonna love this episode. D:

Can't wait for next ep. Appeasing rabid fans is gonna be tough, and I think the people best equipped to deal with it have gone home...

And miles to go before I sleep.
    Spman2099
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    *Dusts off Project Gotham 4*

GPrime85 on
    JDSterkenburg
  • JDSterkenburgJDSterkenburg Registered User regular
    Strip search and Kart drifting? I am maximum contentment.

NotaCylon
  • JDSterkenburgJDSterkenburg Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who was secretly hoping someone would slide into the pond?

HipsterSlenderWarribsImperfectSaintPeternhainesxThanatoSxemarecksaykayspillfishNotaCylonTofystedeth
  • LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    I want to make a #TeamTerryWogan joke for Maki, but I'm not sure if people will get it.

kscullymakitori
  • JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    Ha, the music that starts at about 5:36 sounds really close to that Mirror's Edge theme song.

• jaball77jaball77 Registered User regular
    That's so mean! Throwing those poor noobs out there on a cold, wet track with slick tires! That's why they were going so slow... No grip!

It was great to see everyone just have some fun... Can't wait until Tuesday!

NotaCylon
  • kscullykscully Registered User regular
    I want to make a #TeamTerryWogan joke for Maki, but I'm not sure if people will get it.

"Slow and steady wins the race"

• A Concerned CitizenA Concerned Citizen Registered User regular
    I am very disappointed they didn't allow shortcuts. I mean Graham works for too video-game centric sites, yet overlooks the fact that almost every racing game ever has at least one cheap shortcut...

emarecksaykay
  • sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    i thought abby's best line was "at least i know, that among these people i could fulfill my dream of being... a race car driver. the breathless delivery on the last phrase sold it.

and i admit that at the beginning i had a brief flash of thinking that this is more of a guy's challenge. needless to say...

BuchoDexOZemarecksaykay