As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WiiU] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    There is no goddamn way so many people are getting stuck in Super Metroid like that. I refuse to believe it.

Wasn't there an article about how gamers today need to have their hand held while playing?

Super Metroid is from a primal time, figure that shit out or get eaten like a delicious t-bone.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I don't doubt that some people got stuck, but how many people are just saying that for a laugh now? That 'y can't metroid crawl?' post seems kind of jokey.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I believe people are stuck at the red doors

They don't give any indication you need to fire five missiles

Which is pretty stupid, anyways. In Metroid Prime, missile doors only took one missile

It's not like the manual would explain this shit.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I officially quit Simons Quest cause I never knew about the 'kneel to cast spell' mechanic. The second quest of Zelda 1 also stumped me for ages with the 'magic walls you can push through'.

But I never had an issue with Metroid/Super Metroid.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Soooo I may have only just realised that the VC games have a digital manual.
    Whoops.

• Options
    Sorry, but you are now demoted to casual scrub. :P

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    :(
    Okay.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Oh cool new thread.
    Haha y can't metroid crawl? Haha this is fun you guys.

Seriously I can't believe super metroid is practically given away for 30p though! I would have thought they would hold this one back and release it for fifty pounds considering its still as perfect as when it was first released.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    I have never played Super Metroid before. I assume I should take advantage of the 30 cent price tag it's at right now :P

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Whaaaaa SMB2 is half-off if you have Super Mario World already?

Don't mind if I do!

Wait. On WiiU or Wii VC?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I'm totally not stuck in the same place as those first 7 people.

Nope, not at all.
    OH GOD WHAT DO I DO.
    Get the morph ball. It's right where it was in metroid 1. Then shoot the blocks and double tap down.
    See that's what I was trying to do as you have to have the morphball to get in there, but the blocks will not break.
    Right, right. You need bombs to get past there, then. Find the first boss, kill him, and get some micro explosives.
    But I can't get out of there to get em! :D

The left entrance where you roll in is too high and the room at the bottom to the right has a few flies to regen missiles but can;t seem to go anywhere else.
    Tried the missiles on the rocks?
    Yep yep.

I dunno I feel like I'm missing something super obvious.

I'm gonna lay out the sequence of events for the the first landing on criteria in a series of spoilers, up until the first boss. Pick and choose how far you want to go, spoiler wise.
    The first part's obvious - the game only lets you go left, and you can't morph ball to get anywhere yet. Go left, then down.
    Eventually you'll pass through Tourian from the original Metroid. Keep going right, then take the elevator.
    The elevator will bring you to the original game's starting point, Brinstar. If you go left, just like in the original game, you'll find the morph ball.
    It's here that the game teaches you how to duck and shoot, as a standing shot won't break the low block and you need to get rid of the low block to go back right.
    Keep going right. Eventually you'll pick up one, possibly 2 missile packs, depending on how thoroughly you explore. All you need is one. FYI, select switches subweapons.
    Once you have the missiles, go back up to Crateria, and head back to the red doors you couldn't open before.
    SURPRISE! Space Marines. Thought that eye was just for decoration, eh? Anyways. Explore all the paths above the escape path from the original game. You should find:
    a Map room, a save spot, and a few more places you can't go.
    Above the escape shaft in Crateria and right back along the path towards your ship, you'll see a low hole that you can roll into. Fall into that. The path back up is blocked with unbreakable bricks.
    Because you can't get out of this nice little death trap, head down and right until you get to a red door. Open it, fight the boss.

Use what you got from the boss to do more exploring. Start where things seem logical; eventually illogical secrets will be revealed, but don't rush those.

You know, the more I think about it, I think it might be possible to get trapped in the area leading to the first boss if you didn't get everything you could leading up to it. I guess I never tried as a kid. Luckily there's no way to save if you get into that situation, so you'll only lose work going back to landing on the planet.

Speaking of which: Unless you watch the "attract" reel at the beginning of the game, you likely won't know that you can re-enter your ship to recharge yourself and save. Keep that in mind. :)

... Yes, there's an attract reel. It shows off some pretty cool advanced shit.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I hate you guys. I come online and see there were 90+ new posts and a new thread and I thought something major happened..... I got my pants all tight for no reason!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Psh

Portable Metroid

It'd actually be rad if they could do some GBA/DS VC on the Wii U

But goddamn I won't hold my breath

You do know that they announced GBA VC on Wii U way back on Valentine's Day. Probably see it in the next few months.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I hate you guys. I come online and see there were 90+ new posts and a new thread and I thought something major happened..... I got my pants all tight for no reason!

Hopefully something major will happen a few hours from now. Probably not, but we do so love getting our hopes up...only to have them dashed later.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Do we have a link for today's ND?

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Do we have a link for today's ND?

link-175x300.png

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Okay that image is blocked at work. :P

• Options
      It's Link. Unoriginal, I know.

• Options
        Sit in the corner.

• Options
        Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
        My brain read that as "Shit in the corner"...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
      • Options
      • Options
        KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
        This is the link to the ND, right?
        http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/05-17-2013/

Or will it be a different link?

• Options
        edited May 2013
        http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct in case anyone's wondering.

urahonky on
      • Options
        ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
        I'll make a compilation post of all the Nintendo Direct links (mind, you might need to do some clicking, these are by and large all "announcement" pages that don't, if I remember correctly, take you to the actual stream without input).

Here's the Japanese one:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_direct/20130517/index.html

Here's the European one:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Latest-Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-698557.html

And here's the North American one:

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/05-17-2013/

It's supposed to be "Global Announcement" stuff, so they should all be more or less the same with some variation likely to the extent only of dates, pricing and disposition.

I'll be tuning in to the Japanese one, in time honored fashion by now, to scour the announcements for funky new shit that we all know Japan is the most likely to get a first sample of.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
      • Options
        That is probably where you can find it later.

• Options
        ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
        edited May 2013
        Yes, the fact that both me and KiTA linked to the "Archives" section doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I think it'll work though.

Maybe.

EDIT: Also, in case other people feel like trawling the Japanese direct for good shit but also want to understand what the balls they're watching, here's Cheesemeister to the rescue. He'll be translating the important/ funny/ WEIRD segments for the benefit of mankind:

https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k

Zephiran on
        Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
      • Options
      • Options
        MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
        edited May 2013
        So it's official:
        EA Has No Wii U Games In Development

Before we blame this on Nintendo though, someone (in the comments of all places) pointed out a surprising lack of EA games on 3DS as well.

Funny eh?

Anyway besides Mass Effect titles EA has pretty much lost me since they stopped pushing games like Mirror's Edge. And Criterion isn't developing the next NFS so nothing lost there.

Mblackwell on
        Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
        RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
        They need to remake Final Fantasy 4-6 on the Wii U. I know 4 was ported a bajillion times, but in all honesty it's a great game with a great story. Five and Six are LONG overdue for a remake, remastered, HD port game.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
      • Options
        Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
        I just want to thank the folks in advance who post info from the Nintendo Direct for those of us who can't watch videos at work!

Mblackwell wrote: »
        So it's official:
        EA Has No Wii U Games In Development

Before we blame this on Nintendo though, someone (in the comments of all places) pointed out a surprising lack of EA games on 3DS as well.

Funny eh?

Anyway besides Mass Effect titles EA has pretty much lost me since they stopped pushing games like Mirror's Edge. And Criterion isn't developing the next NFS so nothing lost there.

I guess that means we don't get the next Need For Speed. Sucks to be us.

NNID = Zepp914
      • Options
        KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
        Is the Nintendo Direct Japan one going to happen at the same time ours does or something?

• Options
        Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
        My body is ready.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
      • Options
        KiTA wrote: »
        Is the Nintendo Direct Japan one going to happen at the same time ours does or something?

Yeah.

• Options
        edzepp wrote: »
        You can't put Tim in the corner!

Nobody puts baby in a corner.

• Options
          HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS! IT'S STARTING SOON!

• Options
        • Options
          Well this is their last Direct before E3, I'd assume there will be something worthwhile today.

• Options
          Here we go.

• Options
          earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
          c'mon MarioKart that tries to do something different than the previous Wii versions!!