As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for acoustic Oriental music

mora1mora1 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could suggest some musicians who play more classical style Oriental music. Looking mostly for something in strings, but really anything of quality would pique my interest. Best way I could describe it would be some of the music you hear in some martial arts flicks, some of the more haunting "violin" pieces.

Also, if anyone knows of any musicians/groups that incorporate that style of music into more modern stuff feel free to mention them as well. I heard an awesome rock song on myspace music a few months ago that had a chinese violin. I can't remember the name of the band, but I figured I would toss this part out there and maybe I'll get lucky.

mora1 on

• StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sanxian, koto, and shakuhachi are all nice oriental instruments. Look for stuff done with those and you'll find what you're after. Good luck.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Although this isn't the type of music you'd hear in a martial arts film, this commercial combines elements from Western Classical (Pachelbel's Canon in D), Korean traditional instruments (가야금 or Gayatgo), and modern music (Hip Hop Beatboxing + B-Boying).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oex4S3vPKR4

Strangely, that commercial is an advertisement for apartment complexes in Korea.

Here are some pictures of the gayatgo
    []
    []http://cafefiles.naver.net/data21/2006/12/11/14/1979.jpg

grrr... they won't let me link to the pictures so you'll have to just copy and paste them into your browser.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Memoirs of a Geisha sountrack, it has a lot of stuffs, and it's "oriental" I suppose.

MotherFirefly on
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno about classic oriental, but check out 12 Girls Band.

clsCorwin on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Look into a Korean group called BanYa.

They're an eclectic group of musicians who do anything from classical to hiphop to rock to techno and back again.

They've done a lot of classical remixes: Winter, Pathetique, Moonlight Sonata, Ave Maria, etc. All good stuff.

They also have a killer violinist who works with them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Traditional Japanese and American Jazz fusion.

Hiroshima

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • mora1mora1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanks guys, all the info helped me educate myself a bit more. Turns out what I was specifically looking for was erhu music. I also found a cool fusion band in the process.

mora1 on