As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apocalypse World] The Fleet

GrogGrog My sword is only steelin a useful shape.Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in Critical Failures
The Fleet

When shit hits the proverbial fan, your gut tells you you've got two options: fight or flight. Now there may be a whole lot of hard asses around today who'd tell you there's nothing they can't solve with a gun or a knife. But when the world's crumbling to a halt and the sky's splitting open in some unholy maelstrom, it's a little hard to face it down no matter how many bullets you've got. Those with the sense took to their vehicles, headed for the horizon and, if they were smart, didn't look back.
geab6418a.jpg

Back in the day the fleet was hundreds strong. When they saw our dust cloud coming, every mutant and bandit would crawl back under their rocks. We'd scavenge whatever we could and trade it with the holdings, always moving on to the next opportunity. But you know how that ended up. Julie headed back south with her jarheads; Georg went down with his mega-truck in a bandit raid; Hume set up a holding, started trading slaves with the salt-fishers.
g89ed8416.jpg

Now I don't know if you lot remember what it's like living in the dirt, but I sure as hell do. We keep moving or this world'll swallow us whole.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is an Apocalypse World PbP in which 4 players will be scraping a living on board the Fleet: a nomadic convoy of giant ramshackle vehicles headed north under a burning sky.

Go ahead and pick a character, post the relevant information here or ask any questions. Should there be more than four people interested then I'll give it a week or so and pick the coolest of the bunch. Important: please only sign up if you can post regularly (1/day minimum). This is a fast paced game and I won't hesitate to leave stragglers behind (within reason).

If, for whatever reason, you don't have the rules I can outline the characters and put one together for you. Otherwise fire away with questions.

Grog on

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Oooooo!

Hey, should we try to lean away from characters who generally rely on a fixed building (like the savvyhead and his workstation), or would they get something like a big bus to act as a mobile version of their usually-fixed location?

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I'm always interested in Apocalypse World.... are you sticking with only the main playbooks?

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Oooooo!

Hey, should we try to lean away from characters who generally rely on a fixed building (like the savvyhead and his workstation), or would they get something like a big bus to act as a mobile version of their usually-fixed location?

Well the Fleet has 3 super size vehicles- megatrucks and giant military transports that house the majority of the population (~100 souls each)- so I'd imagine a savvy's workshop or hardholder's holding would be on one of those.

That said, I'm not averse to the idea of a lone truck or loose conglomeration of cars as appropriate.
    Egos wrote: »
    I'm always interested in Apocalypse World.... are you sticking with only the main playbooks?

I've not really checked out any fanmade playbooks, but if you've got one in mind go ahead and link it. I'll let you know if I don't like it, but I think I trust the Apocalypse World community to make decent stuff.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm reading the handbook now, so I guess I'm interested.

EDIT: I just realize this is the same system Monsterhearts is run off of.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    GG, Apocalypse World was the first. In time, others took inspiration from it, including its own Creators. The Creators begat Dungeon World via the ritual of Kickstarter, and others have undertaken to dress Apocalypse World in other trappings. Monsterhearts is such a one. But in the beginning, there was only the tale about life after the end. From Apocalypse World, many things have emerged, and lo, they are good.

Maybe I should be a Hocus instead. Hmm.

• Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    Extremely interested in playing. I was considering some of the alternate playbooks released at cons by Vincent Baker. I have the pdfs to send you if you need to approve. I was considering the Maestro D' (establishment proprietor), or Hocus from the main book.

• Options
    First matters not. Either Angel or Battlebabe. Maybe Driver...

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I was thinking either Faceless (Lord Humungus)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w14IQB8yNNw
    sadly youtube doesn't have good clips of Mad Max probably because of copyright , so I just went with South Park

Chopper could be interesting if we are always on the road. I always like Battlebabes also... I might be leaning toward Chopper with the setting.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Tai Ozair, Savvyhead (XP: 4/5, Screamer 7/8)

Look
    Tai is a man, with an expressive face that betrays his appraising eyes. It's like he's measuring everyone's worth, deciding whether someone is interesting enough to spend time on. He always wears utility wear, plus tech. His fashion is held down with all kinds of straps and buckles so everything's snug against his wiry body.

Stats
    Cool -1
    Hard 0
    Hot +1
    Sharp +1 [HI-LITED]
    Weird +3 [HI-LITED]

Hurt Clock 3:00

Moves
    Deep Insights (+1 Weird)
    Oftener Right (when solicited for advice, say what I think is best; they get +1 to rolls if they do it, I get 1 xp)
    Spooky Intense (+weird to act under fire)
    Things Speak (+weird to learn about objects; 10+ ask 3, 7-9 ask 1; question list at bottom)

Workspace
    Weird-Ass Electronica
    Machining Tools
    Transmitters & Receivers

History
    Jackson: -1
    Garber: 0
    Acid B: +3

Stuff
    (0-barter)
    Personal Fashion: khaki cargo pants, long-sleeved shirt, tac vest with clips and pouches and shit, goggles, air filter, neck buff, fingerless gloves, engineer boots
    Badass Trenchcoat (1-armor fashion)
    Big Knife (2-harm hand)
    9mm (2-harm, close, loud)
    Binocs
    Headbag (Staplehead’s head is in it)
    Screamer

The Screamer comes with a battery capacity of 8. When you fire the Screamer at something roll +battery spent (up to +4).
    10+ Choose 3
    7-9 Choose 1
    - The beam is wide enough to catch everything in the vicinity (+area effectively)
    - It has no effect on humans.
    - It disables small targets for a long time (a few minutes otherwise), fully disables humans for a few minutes (instead of +stun)
    - The Screamer doesn't need time to recalibrate (-reload effectively).

Things Speak Questions
    * Who handled this last before me?
    * Who made this?
    * What strong emotions have been most recently nearby this?
    * What words have been said most recently nearby this?
    * What has been done most recently to this, or with this?
    * What’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Well, someone has to do the grunt work to keep this fleet moving.

Acid Burn, Operator
    Operator

Name- Acid Burn

Look- Woman, Utility wear, rough face, cold eyes, muscular body

Stats:
    Cool +2
    Hard +1
    Hot +1
    Sharp -0
    Weird -1

Gigs:
    Scavenging (1-barter/impoverished)
    Technical work (2-barter/shut out)
    Compound Defense (2-barter/infiltrated)
    Sec Team(1-barter/

Protect someone (Runt) (Nothing bad happens to them/they're gone)

Crew/Contacts:
    Muddy - Cranky old-timer with a truck. Truck has "speed holes" now.
    Gold - Skinny, smiling, outgoing young lady with a rifle (and a big knife) who likes to beat things up. Eyes on Garber for some reason.
    Runt - Cold, quiet youth who is possessive of Acid Burn. Good with his hands and always has a knife on him somewhere. Knows about the meat room.

Moves:
    Moonlighting: 3 Juggling

Eye on the door

Gear and Barter:
    9mm with silencer(2-harm close)
    Heavy leather work jacket with metal sewn in and utility pockets. thick jeans. (1-armor)

Experience 3/5
    1. Operator move

Hold

Hx
    Garber Hx+2
    Tai Ozair Hx+0
    Jackson Hx +0

3 Questions
    1) Only people I have met from the north have been raving madmen, talking about giant metal overlords, sliver cities full of monsters and the walking dead. I would not dismiss anything completely though, might be some good salvage if the stories keep dregs away.

2)The mega-vehicles always need something fixed and something found so I got a little room on one of them. Some swarmers are reliable like Muddy, but most are trash who can't be bothered to act civilized.

3)I have been burned more then once finding a hi-tech stash only to have it stolen by a few heavy armed guys. Going with a group from the Fleet might mean splitting the loot but at least we got a lotta guns and will bring something home.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Someone has been watching Hackers.

• Options
    Lord Humongous would quite clearly be a battlebabe.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    [the touchstone playbook]

Garber, the Touchstone
    A man lived longer than he deserves. He's garbed in grungy stained survival wear, with salt-and-pepper whiskers covering a weatherbeaten face, unwaveringly intense steady eyes, and a strong solid body.
    [Cool+2]
    [Hard+3]
    Hot+2
    Sharp=0
    Weird-1

Moves
    Visionary: when you share your vision of the future with another player’s character, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3 over them. On a 7–9, hold 2 over them.
    Whenever you like, you can spend your hold, 1 for 1, to have them mark experience. On a miss, they hold 1 over you, on the same terms.

Clear-eyed: when you read a person, roll+hard instead of roll+sharp.

Towering presence: when you give someone an order or a warning, roll+hard. On a hit, they choose:
    • They do it, following your order or heeding your warning.
    • They freeze.
    • They back away, hands where you can see them.
    • They attack you.

On a 10+, take +1forward against them as well. On a miss, they do what they like and you take -1forward against them.

Indomitable: when you go into battle, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1forward. During the battle you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
    • Name an npc within your reach. You kill, disable or disarm them (MC’s choice).
    • Name a character within your reach. You redirect their attack to another character within your reach, or else to nowhere — into the ground or a wall or the sky.
    • Name a character on the scene, but outside your reach. You cross the distance between you before they have time to adjust or react.
    • Name a character within your reach. While you keep fighting, you intercept any attack directed at them and they suffer no harm.
    • Ignore all harm to yourself from an incoming attack.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH: in battle, you count as a gang (3-harm gang small), with armor according to the circumstances.

Fortunes: At the beginning of the session, roll+fortune. On a 10+, your followers have surplus. On a 7–9, they have surplus, but choose 1 want.
    On a miss, they are in want. If their surplus lists barter, like 1-barter or 2-barter, that’s your personal share.

History
    Tai Ozair Hx+1
    Jackson Hx+1
    Acid Burn Hx-1

Hold
    1 hold (Jackson) [Visionary]
    2 hold (Gear)
    3 hold (Indomitable)

Improvement
    [ 0 / 5 xp]
    __ get a new touchstone move (Clear-eyed)
    __ get +1hard (max hard+3)
    __ get a move from another playbook (NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH) [Gunlugger]
    __ get followers (detail) and fortunes
    __ get +1hot (max hot+2)
    __ create a second character to play [Hoarder]
    __ get +1cool (max cool+2)

Harm
    ---

Gear
    1-barter
    0-stock medkit
    machete (3-harm hand messy)
    sawed-off (3-harm close reload messy)
    grenade launcher (4-harm, close, area, messy)
    crusty leather boots, blood-soaked jeans, splatter-stained flannel shirt, reddened bandana, leather bandolier
    yellow-and-checkered carhood plate+bracers (1-armor)

Followers
    my cult: (fortune+2 / surplus: 1-barter +insight / want: +desertion +judgement +disease)
    • My followers are involved in successful commerce. (+1fortune)
    • My followers are rigorous and argumentative. (Surplus: +insight)
    • My followers aren’t really mine, more like I'm theirs. (Want: +judgment)
    • My followers disdain fashion, luxury and convention. (Want: +disease)

When you use your followers for insight, ask your followers what they think your best course is, and the MC will tell you. If you pursue that course, take +1 to any rolls you make in the pursuit. If you pursue that course but don’t accomplish your ends, you mark experience.
    Insight: Best course to take down Coal & Heylel?
    "Show these swarmer scum that we've got reach."/"Scatter them, weaken them, dash them against our hull."/"Show them we've got unity!"/"Blow 'em up!"

Token of Hope
    a symbol of human purpose and achievement
    What is it?
    a burnt up sparkplug, hanging from twine like a necklace

When you go among people, offering hope, they respond by giving you food, shelter, companionship, trust, and any small thing you need, worth 1-barter or less, generously or grudgingly according to their nature.

When you go among people, exploiting their hope, they respond by giving you food, shelter, companionship, trust, any small thing you need, or even straight-up jingle, worth 1- or 2-barter. They won’t suffer you forever.

When you go among people, acting with hope, they respond by spreading your name everywhere they go, to everyone they meet, with admiration, revulsion, fear, or contempt, according to their nature.

Questions
    1) Been lots of places, but North ain't one of them. Heard all the bullshit tall tales: 'bout mutant swarms thick as the sea, blood harvesters with their ten-thousand little steel teeth, and too many stories about a haven for them weirdo bad-brain fucks for me to even think it ain't a little bit true. I know none of that matters though. The North is where we survive; if we turn back we're lost.
    2) I know people onboard and off, and nothing pisses on my boots more than one group talking like they're better than the other. We're all part of the Fleet, and everybody's shit reeks. Myself, I live down with the swarmers. My gut tells me them folks need looking after more.
    3) I done some bad shit in my day, but seen far worse when I used to run with the Milk Eyes. Once a man lives long enough to grow some sense, his old gangmates don't take kindly being stood up to. I hear Ivory is in charge now and that scares the fuck outa me, she was a bad bitch before she ever decided chem up and turn her brain into psycho-fire.

Notes
    - Owe Undow 2-barter.
    - Arrange Bell/Tai sitch. Bell owes me 1-barter.
    - Grille, Kosh, Chitchat: goodcogs.
    - Duggie: swarmer bud.
    - Ruin Coal. End Heylel.
    - Fuck you York.

---

[the hoarder playbook]

Philo, the Hoarder
    Still more a girl than woman grown, she dresses in stylish albeit decaying scrounge wear trying a little too hard to add an air of maturity or toughness. She possesses the open and eager face of youth, with keen hungry eyes, mousy hair, and a slight stringy body born from both meager diet and personal neglect.
    Cool+1
    Hard-2
    [Hot+2]
    [Sharp+1]
    Weird+2

Moves
    Acquisitive eye: when you see, hear about, or otherwise come to know of a thing you want, roll+weird. On a hit, you can ask the MC questions. On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7–9, ask 2:
    • How can I make this mine?
    • Who will stand in my way?
    • Will my hoard accept it?
    • Who will try to take it from me once it’s mine?
    • What is this truly worth?

On a miss, your face and body language betray your interest in the thing to anyone who’s paying attention.

Appraising eye: when you read a situation, on a hit, in addition to your other questions, you may ask this:
    • What’s the most beautiful, the rarest, or the most valuable thing here?
    When you read a person, on a hit, in addition to your other questions, you may ask this:
    • What’s the best thing your character owns, or the best thing your character’s carrying?

History
    Tai Ozair Hx+2
    Jackson Hx=0

Improvement
    [ 4 / 5 xp]
    __ get +1 hot (max hot+2)

Harm
    ---

Gear
    0-barter
    *wicked blade (2-harm hand pretty) [with tatter guard]
    *eyeglasses (worn valuable) +1sharp with ‘em when eyesight matter, -1sharp without ‘em when eyesight matters
    *antique coins (worn valuable pretty)
    spectacular tattoos (implanted)
    big ol’ combat boots, tattered yellow-gold pleated housedress, patched up leather biker jacket, copper coin necklace, horn-rimmed glasses, tarnished gold barrette (1-armor fashion)
    hoard & garage keys

Hoard
    hunger=0
    loans: wicked blade, eyeglasses, antique coins

What kinds of things are in your hoard?:
    • pretty things
    • intoxicants, delicacies & poisons
    • others’ castoffs & discards

What else is true of your hoard?:
    • Conscious: it speaks to you in your mind.
    • Beautiful: if an NPC sees it, she envies and desires it.
    Your hoard begins play with hunger=0.

As long as your hoard’s hunger is 3 or less, you can go into your hoard and look for something useful. Describe your situation and roll+weird. The MC’s job is to come up with something for you that she genuinely thinks you’ll find useful in the situation you’ve described, and to have your hoard deliver it forth. (You might remind her the kinds of things you have in your hoard.) On a 10+, your hoard’s hunger holds where it is. On a 7-9, your hoard gets +1hunger. On a miss, your hoard goes immediately to hunger+4.

If you take the thing, your hoard considers you to have borrowed it, and will expect it back.

As long as your hoard’s hunger is 3 or less, you can go into your hoard for jingle. Pull oddments worth 2-barter out of it and give it +1hunger.

At the beginning of the session, roll+your hoard’s hunger. On a 10+, the MC holds 3; on a 7-9, the MC holds 1. During the session, the MC can spend her hold 1 for 1 to:
    • name a thing present. Your hoard must have it. When you give it to your hoard, mark experience and give your hoard -1hunger.
    • name a thing you’ve borrowed from your hoard. Your hoard must have it back. When you return it to your hoard, mark experience and give your hoard -1hunger.

If the MC has any hold left at the end of the session, give your hoard +1hunger, to a maximum of hunger+4.

If your hoard has hunger+4, take -1 ongoing.

Notes
    Read a Sitch Answers
    --

Read a Sitch/Person Choices
    Sitch / ask 3 or 1
    • What’s the most beautiful, the rarest, or the most valuable thing here?
    • where’s my best escape route / way in / way past?
    • which enemy is most vulnerable to me?
    • which enemy is the biggest threat?
    • what should I be on the lookout for?
    • what’s my enemy’s true position?
    • who’s in control here?
    --
    Person / hold 3 or 1
    • What’s the best thing your character owns, or the best thing your character’s carrying?
    • is your character telling the truth?
    • what’s your character really feeling?
    • what does your character intend to do?
    • what does your character wish I’d do?
    • how could I get your character to __?

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Doc Sara Ami, Angel

Look: Woman, scrounge wear plus utility, kind face, caring eyes, compact body.

Cool+1
    Hard=0
    Hot+1
    Sharp+2
    Weird-1

Angel Moves:

Infirmary: you get an infirmary, a workspace with life support, a drug lab and a crew of 2 (Anglia & Martin). Get patients into it and you can work on them like a savvyhead on tech (cf).

Battlefield grace: while you are caring for people, not fighting, you get +1armor.

Gear:
    - Angel kit
    - 1 small practical weapon
    - Oddments worth 1-barter
    - Sawed-off (3-harm close reload messy)
    - Fashion suitable to your look, including at your option a piece worth 1-armor
    Lab_coat.png

1- I've been North once. It was like the south, except with snow to sprinkle on the waste once and awhile. I was little when I when North. Loss both my parents there. Been drifting since until I joined the Sisters.

2-I've got a school bus I've gutted into a moblie hospital so I guess I'm a "swarmer" but no one will tell that to my face. I've patched up everyone here from simple cuts to bullet wounds and a child birth once.

3-I'm not sure how much protection the fleet provides from the Sisters. After traveling with them for 5 years, I've seen them take down convoys twice this armed. I'm just hoping after Roxie died the Sisters aren't so organizing under the bitch who took her place. Maybe they will leave me alone. Maybe not.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    @The Everyman You're going to have to sell me on that playbook. It's a cool concept, but the Visionary move seems a little odd. Is it saying that they mark experience by following your vision?

@OminousLozenge Don't forget to choose your Body look! Unless you're some kind of disembodied head.

I'll make a post later outlining a bit more about the Fleet, as well as some questions for you all to answer.

• Options
    @Grog the playbook is called savvyHEAD, so... :p

Good catch, which I have now rectified. I'm wirrry.

• Options
    Its the future. Heads float in jars and become presidents....

Wait, wrong future.

• Options
    Questions! For those who've already made a character post, you can answer these in a new post, just be sure to edit them into your original character post too.

1) The Fleet is headed North. Have you ever been North? If so, when and what was it like? If not, what have you heard? Either way how do you feel about this decision.

2) There are two kinds of people in the Fleet: those who live on the giant mega-vehicles; and those who get by in the swarm of cars and trucks around them. Which are you and how do you feel about the other group?

3) People stick with the Fleet for security. Describe a threat that the Fleet protects you from. This could be bandits, starvation or something from your past- just be specific.

• Options
    1) North? No, man. But I get this signal on my receivers sometimes. Weird shit, I can't make it out... and it's getting stronger ever since we turned north. What's that mean? Well I dunno, exactly. Can't wait to find out, though!

2) My workshop is on one of the mega-vehicles, and I live in my workshop, so there ya go. Some folks look down on the "swarmers," but I never understood why. They find interesting crap out there, sometimes. When I'm lucky, some of that crap finds its way to me. Way I see it, without them my life would be a lot more boring. That crap tells some interesting tales.

3) Y'know what? Fuck Mefizdo, man! Like, what the shit kinda name is that? Goddamn psycho shithead, and his gang of savage fucks is no better. So I maybe shorted them for some weird-ass electronica last time we bartered. Like it's somehow my fault he's too dumbshit to know what he's got on his hands?

• Options
    @Grog I haven't actually played the Touchstone playbook before so I'm not entirely sure how Visionary works in practice, but I've read that the xp I hold are like carrots to dangle in front of other characters, enticing them to heed what I say. I do agree that the move is kinda strange though.

If you think it won't work out that's fine, I have no problem working with one of the other playbooks.

• Options
    1- I've been North once. It was like the south, except with snow to sprinkle on the wastle once and awhile. I was little when I when North. Loss both my parents there. Been drifting since until I joined the Sisters.

2-I've got a school bus I've gutted into a moblie hospital so I guess I'm a "swarmer" but no one will tell that to my face. I've patched up everyone here from simple cuts to bullet wounds and a child birth once.

3-I'm not sure how much protection the fleet provides from the Sisters. After traveling with them for 5 years, I've seen them take down convoys twice this armed. I'm just hoping after Roxie died the Sisters aren't so organizing under the bitch who took her place. Maybe they will leave me alone. Maybe not.

• Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Jackson - Brainer Hocus

Look:
    The large gray weather resistant hooded cloak and full face gas mask conceal Jackson's sex, though the pale face, deep set eyes, and awkward angular body can be made out if you look closely enough. Jackson is 5'10" tall.

Gear:
    Violation glove (hand hi-tech) : For purposes of brainer moves, mere skin contact counts as time and intimacy. (worn on the left hand. similar looking but normal black glove on the right hand)
    Pain-wave projector (1-harm ap area loud reload hi-tech) : Goes off like a reusable grenade. Hits everyone but you.
    Brain relay (area close hi-tech) For purposes of brainer moves, if someone can see your brain relay, they can see you. Brainworms that sense it also count as sensing you. (Tai is holding it.)
    Deep Ear Plugs (worn hi-tech) Protects the wearer from all brainer moves and gear. (borrowed from Tai)

Badass knife (2-harm hand thrown badass)
    Badass scabbard (tatpatterns smells bad)
    Silenced 9mm (2-harm close hi-tech)
    Kevlar vest under a worn black military surplus uniform, under the cloak. The gasmask is a dull gunmetal grey, and bullet resistant. (1 - armor)
    2-way radio Useful for communication or long range whisper projection via the Brain relay. (Tai has the other radio.)

1- barter (loaned 4 to Tai for the Screamer)

Stats:
    [Cool+3]
    Hard+1
    Hot-2
    [Sharp+1]
    Weird+3

History:
    Acid Burn: Hx+2
    Garber: Hx+3
    Tai Ozair: Hx+1
    Philo: Hx+2

Moves:
    Unnatural lust transfixion: when you try to seduce someone, roll+weird instead of roll+hot.

In-brain puppet strings: when you have time and physical intimacy with someone — again, mutual or 1-sided — you can plant a command inside their mind. Roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. At your will, no matter the circumstances, you can spend your hold 1 for 1:
    - inflict 1-harm (ap)
    - they take -1 right now
    If they fulfill your command, that counts for all your remaining hold. On a miss, you inflict 1-harm (ap) upon your subject, to no benefit.

Direct-brain whisper projection: you can roll+weird to get the effects of going aggro, without going aggro. Your victim has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact. If your victim forces your hand, your mind counts as a weapon (1-harm ap close loud-optional).

Preternatural at-will brain attunement: you get +1weird (weird+3).

Merciless: when you inflict harm, inflict +1harm.

Disciplined engagement: when you inflict harm, you can choose to inflict any amount of harm you like, less than or up to your harm as established, including s-harm. Decide at the moment you inflict the harm; you need not tell anyone in advance how much harm you intend to inflict.

Frenzy: When you speak the truth to a mob, roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to make the mob:
    • bring people forward and deliver them.
    • bring forward all their precious things.
    • unite and fight for you as a gang (2-harm 0-armor size appropriate).
    • fall into an orgy of uninhibited emotion: fucking, lamenting, fighting, sharing, celebrating, as you choose.
    • go quietly back to their lives.
    On a miss, the mob turns on you.

Charismatic: when you try to manipulate someone, roll+weird instead of roll+hot.

Advanced Moves:
    Act under Fire: On a 12+, you transcend the danger, the pressure, the possibility of harm. You do what you set out to do, and the MC will offer you a better outcome, true beauty, or a moment of grace.

Go Aggro: On a 12+, they have to cave and do what you want. You’ve overwhelmed them; they can’t possibly bring themselves to force your hand.

Seduction or Manipulate: On a 12+, only if they’re an NPC, they do it, and furthermore you change their nature. Choose one of the following; tell the MC to erase their threat type altogether and write it in instead.
    • ally: friend (impulse: to back you up)
    • ally: lover (impulse: to give you shelter & comfort)
    • ally: right hand (impulse: to follow through on your intentions)
    • ally: representative (impulse: to pursue your interests in your absence)
    • ally: guardian (impulse: to intercept danger)
    • ally: confidante (impulse: to give you advice, perspective, or absolution.)

Seize by Force: On a 12+, you get all 4, plus choose 1 for double effect.

Read a Sitch: On a 12+, ask any 3 questions you want, not limited to the list.

Read a Person: On a 12+, hold 3, but spend them 1 for 1 to ask any question you want, not limited to the list.

Open Your Brain: On a 12+, you reach through the world’s psychic maelstrom to what’s beyond it.

Hold:
    (1) - In-brain Puppet Strings - Wounded bag-head (Command is "Kill anyone wearing a bag mask.")
    (1) - Gear
    (1) - Setup - Rue, Sniper
    (1) - Orb attunement

XP: 0/5XP

Harm: 0/6

Advancements Taken:
    Get a new brainer move (Direct-brain whisper projection)
    Get a new brainer move (Preternatural at-will brain attunement)
    Get a move from another playbook (Merciless - Battlebabe)
    Get +1cool (max cool+2)
    Get a move from another playbook (Disciplined engagement - Quarantine)
    Get +1 to any stat (Cool) (max stat+3)
    Choose 3 moves and advance them (Act Under Fire, Go Aggro, Seduction/Manipulate)
    Advance the other 4 moves (Seize by Force, Read a Sitch, Read a Person, Open Your Brain)
    Change your character to a new type (Hocus)

Maelstrom Spirit Animals:
    Questions:
    1) I've seen the North, in dreams. I've had visions of roving packs of hell-hounds, starving mutant cannibals, and vampire vine attacks. Sounds almost prosaic.

2) I ride with the swarm. I don't have any issues with the Mega riders, but they tend to be a bit more selective in their passenger list. Still, most of the Fleet appreciate the occasionally accurate visions of impending doom the maelstrom imparts to me.

3) As a Brainer, my talents are feared, and respected. Mostly feared. I prefer the company of folks I can blackmail trust, to mutant cannibals who would consume my brain for it's powerful psychotropic effects. Purely an unfounded rumor, I assure you.

Picture
    sandmankieran.jpg

Under the mask:
    Perhaps it's the influence of the maelstrom, but anyone who sees Jackson without her mask knows she would have grown up to be quite beautiful, had her life turned out differently. But Jackson has spent years hiding her face under her mask, removing it rarely to eat, drink, or wash. Three years of Father's experiments have left her with a variety of scars from his amateur exploratory surgeries, along with cryptic tattoos used to plan out the experiments. The scars and tattoos are scattered all over her body, but they are dense at her temples, scalp and spine. These scars, as well as callouses from long mask use, have cut into and interfere with her hair growth. Jackson has kept her hair cut very short, but it is cut haphazardly.

Artist rendition (possibly after mindbending):
    Mass-Effect-2-Jack-Wallpaper-with-Normandy-in-Background.jpg
    Jack_Tears__Mass_Effect_2_by_GhoststalkerX1Z.jpg

(I thought someone with a Hot-2 but who used their Weird+3 for seduction would make sense as attractive but damaged like Jack from Mass Effect. Just imagine her as more unhealthily skinny and her more numerous scars and tattoos are less symmetrical and stylish. Instead they are cryptic and pseudo-scientific. Her hair is also short, but choppy and not clean-shaven.)

Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    1) Only people I have met from the north have been raving madmen, talking about giant metal overlords, sliver cities full of monsters and the walking dead. I would not dismiss anything completely though, might be some good salvage if the stories keep dregs away.

2)The mega-vehicles always need something fixed and something found so I got a little room on one of them. Some swarmers are reliable like Muddy, but most are trash who can't be bothered to act civilized.

3)I have been burned more then once finding a hi-tech stash only to have it stolen by a few heavy armed guys. Going with a group from the Fleet might mean splitting the loot but at least we got a lotta guns and will bring something home.

Oh, added to application.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Grog I haven't actually played the Touchstone playbook before so I'm not entirely sure how Visionary works in practice, but I've read that the xp I hold are like carrots to dangle in front of other characters, enticing them to heed what I say. I do agree that the move is kinda strange though.

If you think it won't work out that's fine, I have no problem working with one of the other playbooks.

Thinking about it, it's similar to 'ask for advice' moves that let them mark xp for following, except it's prophecy instead of advice.

I say as long as you're comfortable with it and think you can play an interesting character, stick with the playbook.

Grog on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Word, Touchstone it is. Let's see how it plays out.

1) Been lots of places, but North ain't one of them. Heard all the bullshit tall tales: 'bout mutant swarms thick as the sea, blood harvesters with their ten-thousand little steel teeth, and too many stories about a haven for them weirdo bad-brain fucks for me to even think it ain't a little bit true. I know none of that matters though. The North is where we survive; if we turn back we're lost.

2) I know people onboard and off, and nothing pisses on my boots more than one group talking like they're better than the other. We're all part of the Fleet, and everybody's shit reeks. Myself, I live down with the swarmers. My gut tells me them folks need looking after more.

3) I done some bad shit in my day, but seen far worse when I used to run with the Milk Eyes. Once a man lives long enough to grow some sense, his old gangmates don't take kindly being stood up to. I hear Ivory is in charge now and that scares the fuck outa me, she was a bad bitch before she ever decided to chem up and turn her brain into psycho-fire.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    A little busy today, so I'm going to hold off on my decision until tomorrow after work. This should also give @Egos time to post something if he's still interested (or any lurkers out there).

Once that's done we'll go round in turns doing Hx, since I'm interested to see how well it works in a pbp.

• Options
    Alright, here's the lineup:

Jackson - The Brainer
    A freaky customer who rides in the swarm, likes to have strings to pull. Nobody trusts it, but they damn well fear it.

Tai Ozair - The Savvyhead
    Spends his time tinkering on one of the mega-t's, but that doesn't make him one of them.

Garber - The Touchstone
    Prophet with a past, he swims with the swarm. They say he gets visions clearer than any gas-huffer.

Acid Burn - The Operator
    Honest(ish) gal just trying to scrape a living together. Keeps company all over, but prefers the 'civility' of the megas.

Sorry @Grunt's Ghosts but, since this is my first time running Apocalypse World, I think I need to stick to 4 players. Thanks for posting though, it was a tough choice.

@Boozer @OminousLozenge @The Everyman @Void Slayer It's time to sort out Hx.

In your playbooks, under Hx, you'll have Your turn and On others' turns sections.

Acid Burn I want you to go first and post your decisions. Tell everyone what Hx they're getting and why. Don't be afraid to impose (discussing things would drag things out in pbp format).

Everyone else will then post in response eg. Tai might tell you he thinks you're the biggest potential problem (and add +1 to whatever Hx you gave him).

Once everyone has responded we'll go to the next person, who'll do the same.

For future reference let's do things in this order: Acid Burn -> Garber -> Tai -> Jackson.

• Options
    That's cool. I'm going to be following this anyhow. :P

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Acid Burn

Garber: You left me with a pack of mutants on a scav run when we were suppose to be watching each others backs. Told me later,"that is how it was suppose to be." Ass. -1Hx.

Tai Ozair: You warned me away from that Silver Spire dig. When they breached that final chamber and the Red Death poured out I was already in a vehicle and running. Never really talked about it but I still go to you for advise from time to time. +2 Hx.

Void Slayer on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Jackson (Acid Burn response)

I've been watching Acid Burn carefully for some time, in secret. I must understand how she engenders such loyalty from her crew.
    ((I get Hx+3 with Acid Burn instead of the Hx+1 I would normally get for not being specifically mentioned))

Boozer on
  • Options
    Tai Ozair (Acid Burn Response)

I figure Acid Burn is the biggest potential problem. Between running off into shit like the Silver Spire despite my warnings, and that kinda uppity way she looks at the so-called Swarmers when she thinks nobody's looking, the girl's gonna be trouble. (Hx +3 rather than +2)

• Options
    Garber (Acid Burn Response)

The Fleet will always need people who know their shit to stick around. I know Acid Burn can take care of herself, not to mention look after others. There'll be a place for her once we get North. (Hx-1 unchanged)

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Everyone

I've never tried to lie 'bout who I am or what I've seen. Folks ain't used to reading such an open book, but I don't gotta hide nothing no more. I know what they need to hear. (Hx+1 to all)

The Everyman on
  • Options
    Jackson (Garber Response)

Garber has slept in my presence. I was sure I had slipped away unnoticed, but when I turned around for one last look, he was looking back. Instead of the rage or terror I expected, I saw only pity in his eyes. He hides it much better now.
    (( I get Hx+3 with Garber instead of Hx+1 ))

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Acid Burn (Garber Response)

I have made it clear to Garber that I care about his skills enough to overlook what has happened in the past. But he still might owe me one.( get +1 for a total of Hx+2)

Void Slayer on
  • Options
    Tai Ozair (Garber response)

I guess I never noticed how friendly you are, what with always having my head in some kinda tech (Hx 0 rather than +1).

• Options
    Looking good so far guys. @OminousLozenge now it's Tai's turn

• Options
    Tai Ozair
    I find Jackson strange. Well, who doesn't, but figuring shit out is kinda my thing, and even though Jackson and I have gotten into and out of our share of jams, I still don't have a read on it. That almost never happens. (Hx+1)

Then again, I'm kind of an odd duck, myself. Wouldn't be shocked if other folk are a little weirded by me... (Everyone else gets Hx-1)

• Options
    Jackson (Tai Ozair Response)

Tai seems to dislike and distrust me. Have the dreams warned him against me? Most troubling. Still, I hope we can grow to become good friends.
    (( I get Hx+3 with Tai instead of Hx+1 ))

• Options
    Garber (Tai Response)
    Ozair is useful, no doubt about that. But useful don't mean right. He's got a knack for cannibalizing old hi-tech shit (and if it keeps the Fleet moving, all the more're my blessings), but I dunno. Something 'bout the way he tunes in to the maelstrom makes my boys tingle. He's one to keep tabs on. (+1 for Hx=0)